• 55221阅读
  • 145回复

Dream of the red chamber

级别: 管理员
只看该作者 20 发表于: 2009-03-14
CHAPTER VI.
Chia Pao-yü reaps his first experience in licentious love — Old Goody Liu pays a visit to the Jung Kuo Mansion.
Mrs. Ch’in, to resume our narrative, upon hearing Pao-yü call her in his dream by her infant name, was at heart very exercised, but she did not however feel at liberty to make any minute inquiry.

Pao-yü was, at this time, in such a dazed state, as if he had lost something, and the servants promptly gave him a decoction of lungngan. After he had taken a few sips, he forthwith rose and tidied his clothes.

Hsi Jen put out her hand to fasten the band of his garment, and as soon as she did so, and it came in contact with his person, it felt so icy cold to the touch, covered as it was all over with perspiration, that she speedily withdrew her hand in utter surprise.

“What’s the matter with you?” she exclaimed.

A blush suffused Pao-yü‘s face, and he took Hsi Jen’s hand in a tight grip. Hsi Jen was a girl with all her wits about her; she was besides a couple of years older than Pao-yü and had recently come to know something of the world, so that at the sight of his state, she to a great extent readily accounted for the reason in her heart. From modest shame, she unconsciously became purple in the face, and not venturing to ask another question she continued adjusting his clothes. This task accomplished, she followed him over to old lady Chia’s apartments; and after a hurry-scurry meal, they came back to this side, and Hsi Jen availed herself of the absence of the nurses and waiting-maids to hand Pao-yü another garment to change.

“Please, dear Hsi Jen, don’t tell any one,” entreated Pao-yü, with concealed shame.

“What did you dream of?” inquired Hsi Jen, smiling, as she tried to stifle her blushes, “and whence comes all this perspiration?”

“It’s a long story,” said Pao-yü, “which only a few words will not suffice to explain.”

He accordingly recounted minutely, for her benefit, the subject of his dream. When he came to where the Fairy had explained to him the mysteries of love, Hsi Jen was overpowered with modesty and covered her face with her hands; and as she bent down, she gave way to a fit of laughter. Pao-yü had always been fond of Hsi Jen, on account of her gentleness, pretty looks and graceful and elegant manner, and he forthwith expounded to her all the mysteries he had been taught by the Fairy.

Hsi Jen was, of course, well aware that dowager lady Chia had given her over to Pao-yü, so that her present behaviour was likewise no transgression. And subsequently she secretly attempted with Pao-yü a violent flirtation, and lucky enough no one broke in upon them during their tête-à-tête. From this date, Pao-yü treated Hsi Jen with special regard, far more than he showed to the other girls, while Hsi Jen herself was still more demonstrative in her attentions to Pao-yü. But for a time we will make no further remark about them.

As regards the household of the Jung mansion, the inmates may, on adding up the total number, not have been found many; yet, counting the high as well as the low, there were three hundred persons and more. Their affairs may not have been very numerous, still there were, every day, ten and twenty matters to settle; in fact, the household resembled, in every way, ravelled hemp, devoid even of a clue-end, which could be used as an introduction.

Just as we were considering what matter and what person it would be best to begin writing of, by a lucky coincidence suddenly from a distance of a thousand li, a person small and insignificant as a grain of mustard seed happened, on account of her distant relationship with the Jung family, to come on this very day to the Jung mansion on a visit. We shall therefore readily commence by speaking of this family, as it after all affords an excellent clue for a beginning.

The surname of this mean and humble family was in point of fact Wang. They were natives of this district. Their ancestor had filled a minor office in the capital, and had, in years gone by, been acquainted with lady Feng’s grandfather, that is madame Wang’s father. Being covetous of the influence and affluence of the Wang family, he consequently joined ancestors with them, and was recognised by them as a nephew.

At that time, there were only madame Wang’s eldest brother, that is lady Feng’s father, and madame Wang herself, who knew anything of these distant relations, from the fact of having followed their parents to the capital. The rest of the family had one and all no idea about them.

This ancestor had, at this date, been dead long ago, leaving only one son called Wang Ch’eng. As the family estate was in a state of ruin, he once more moved outside the city walls and settled down in his native village. Wang Ch’eng also died soon after his father, leaving a son, known in his infancy as Kou Erh, who married a Miss Liu, by whom he had a son called by the infant name of Pan Erh, as well as a daughter, Ch’ing Erh. His family consisted of four, and he earned a living from farming.

As Kou Erh was always busy with something or other during the day and his wife, dame Liu, on the other hand, drew the water, pounded the rice and attended to all the other domestic concerns, the brother and sister, Ch’ing Erh and Pan Erh, the two of them, had no one to look after them. (Hence it was that) Kou Erh brought over his mother-in-law, old goody Liu, to live with them.

This goody Liu was an old widow, with a good deal of experience. She had besides no son round her knees, so that she was dependent for her maintenance on a couple of acres of poor land, with the result that when her son-in-law received her in his home, she naturally was ever willing to exert heart and mind to help her daughter and her son-in-law to earn their living.

This year, the autumn had come to an end, winter had commenced, and the weather had begun to be quite cold. No provision had been made in the household for the winter months, and Kou Erh was, inevitably, exceedingly exercised in his heart. Having had several cups of wine to dispel his distress, he sat at home and tried to seize upon every trifle to give vent to his displeasure. His wife had not the courage to force herself in his way, and hence goody Liu it was who encouraged him, as she could not bear to see the state of the domestic affairs.

“Don’t pull me up for talking too much,” she said; “but who of us country people isn’t honest and open-hearted? As the size of the bowl we hold, so is the quantity of the rice we eat. In your young days, you were dependent on the support of your old father, so that eating and drinking became quite a habit with you; that’s how, at the present time, your resources are quite uncertain; when you had money, you looked ahead, and didn’t mind behind; and now that you have no money, you blindly fly into huffs. A fine fellow and a capital hero you have made! Living though we now be away from the capital, we are after all at the feet of the Emperor; this city of Ch’ang Ngan is strewn all over with money, but the pity is that there’s no one able to go and fetch it away; and it’s no use your staying at home and kicking your feet about.”

“All you old lady know,” rejoined Kou Erh, after he had heard what she had to say, “is to sit on the couch and talk trash! Is it likely you would have me go and play the robber?”

“Who tells you to become a robber?” asked goody Liu. “But it would be well, after all, that we should put our heads together and devise some means; for otherwise, is the money, pray, able of itself to run into our house?”

“Had there been a way,” observed Kou Erh, smiling sarcastically, “would I have waited up to this moment? I have besides no revenue collectors as relatives, or friends in official positions; and what way could we devise? ‘But even had I any, they wouldn’t be likely, I fear, to pay any heed to such as ourselves!”

“That, too, doesn’t follow,” remarked goody Liu; “the planning of affairs rests with man, but the accomplishment of them rests with Heaven. After we have laid our plans, we may, who can say, by relying on the sustenance of the gods, find some favourable occasion. Leave it to me, I’ll try and devise some lucky chance for you people! In years gone by, you joined ancestors with the Wang family of Chin Ling, and twenty years back, they treated you with consideration; but of late, you’ve been so high and mighty, and not condescended to go and bow to them, that an estrangement has arisen. I remember how in years gone by, I and my daughter paid them a visit. The second daughter of the family was really so pleasant and knew so well how to treat people with kindness, and without in fact any high airs! She’s at present the wife of Mr. Chia, the second son of the Jung Kuo mansion; and I hear people say that now that she’s advanced in years, she’s still more considerate to the poor, regardful of the old, and very fond of preparing vegetable food for the bonzes and performing charitable deeds. The head of the Wang mansion has, it is true, been raised to some office on the frontier, but I hope that this lady Secunda will anyhow notice us. How is it then that you don’t find your way as far as there; for she may possibly remember old times, and some good may, no one can say, come of it? I only wish that she would display some of her kind-heartedness, and pluck one hair from her person which would be, yea thicker than our waist.”

“What you suggest, mother, is quite correct,” interposed Mrs. Liu, Kou Erh’s wife, who stood by and took up the conversation, “but with such mouth and phiz as yours and mine, how could we present ourselves before her door? Why I fear that the man at her gate won’t also like to go and announce us! and we’d better not go and have our mouths slapped in public!”

Kou Erh, who would have thought it, prized highly both affluence and fame, so that when he heard these remarks, he forthwith began to feel at heart a little more at ease. When he furthermore heard what his wife had to say, he at once caught up the word as he smiled.

“Old mother,” he rejoined; “since that be your idea, and what’s more, you have in days gone by seen this lady on one occasion, why shouldn’t you, old lady, start to-morrow on a visit to her and first ascertain how the wind blows!”

“Ai Ya!” exclaimed old Goody, “It may very well be said that the marquis’ door is like the wide ocean! what sort of thing am I? why the servants of that family wouldn’t even recognise me! even were I to go, it would be on a wild goose chase.”

“No matter about that,” observed Kou Erh; “I’ll tell you a good way; you just take along with you, your grandson, little Pan Erh, and go first and call upon Chou Jui, who is attached to that household; and when once you’ve seen him, there will be some little chance. This Chou Jui, at one time, was connected with my father in some affair or other, and we were on excellent terms with him.”

“That I too know,” replied goody Liu, “but the thing is that you’ve had no dealings with him for so long, that who knows how he’s disposed towards us now? this would be hard to say. Besides, you’re a man, and with a mouth and phiz like that of yours, you couldn’t, on any account, go on this errand. My daughter is a young woman, and she too couldn’t very well go and expose herself to public gaze. But by my sacrificing this old face of mine, and by going and knocking it (against the wall) there may, after all, be some benefit and all of us might reap profit.”

That very same evening, they laid their plans, and the next morning before the break of day, old goody Liu speedily got up, and having performed her toilette, she gave a few useful hints to Pan Erh; who, being a child of five or six years of age, was, when he heard that he was to be taken into the city, at once so delighted that there was nothing that he would not agree to.

Without further delay, goody Liu led off Pan Erh, and entered the city, and reaching the Ning Jung street, she came to the main entrance of the Jung mansion, where, next to the marble lions, were to be seen a crowd of chairs and horses. Goody Liu could not however muster the courage to go by, but having shaken her clothes, and said a few more seasonable words to Pan Erh, she subsequently squatted in front of the side gate, whence she could see a number of servants, swelling out their chests, pushing out their stomachs, gesticulating with their hands and kicking their feet about, while they were seated at the main entrance chattering about one thing and another.

Goody Liu felt constrained to edge herself forward. “Gentlemen,” she ventured, “may happiness betide you!”

The whole company of servants scrutinised her for a time. “Where do you come from?” they at length inquired.

“I’ve come to look up Mr. Chou, an attendant of my lady’s,” remarked goody Liu, as she forced a smile; “which of you, gentlemen, shall I trouble to do me the favour of asking him to come out?”

The servants, after hearing what she had to say, paid, the whole number of them, no heed to her; and it was after the lapse of a considerable time that they suggested: “Go and wait at a distance, at the foot of that wall; and in a short while, the visitors, who are in their house, will be coming out.”

Among the party of attendants was an old man, who interposed,

“Don’t baffle her object,” he expostulated; “why make a fool of her?” and turning to goody Liu: “This Mr. Chou,” he said, “is gone south: his house is at the back row; his wife is anyhow at home; so go round this way, until you reach the door, at the back street, where, if you will ask about her, you will be on the right track.”

Goody Liu, having expressed her thanks, forthwith went, leading Pan Erh by the hand, round to the back door, where she saw several pedlars resting their burdens. There were also those who sold things to eat, and those who sold playthings and toys; and besides these, twenty or thirty boys bawled and shouted, making quite a noise.

Goody Liu readily caught hold of one of them. “I’d like to ask you just a word, my young friend,” she observed; “there’s a Mrs. Chou here; is she at home?”

“Which Mrs. Chou?” inquired the boy; “we here have three Mrs. Chous; and there are also two young married ladies of the name of Chou. What are the duties of the one you want, I wonder ?”

“She’s a waiting-woman of my lady,” replied goody Liu.

“It’s easy to get at her,” added the boy; “just come along with me.”

Leading the way for goody Liu into the backyard, they reached the wall of a court, when he pointed and said, “This is her house.—Mother Chou!” he went on to shout with alacrity; “there’s an old lady who wants to see you.”

Chou Jui’s wife was at home, and with all haste she came out to greet her visitor. “Who is it?” she asked.

Goody Liu advanced up to her. “How are you,” she inquired, “Mrs. Chou?”

Mrs. Chou looked at her for some time before she at length smiled and replied, “Old goody Liu, are you well? How many years is it since we’ve seen each other; tell me, for I forget just now; but please come in and sit.”

“You’re a lady of rank,” answered goody Liu smiling, as she walked along, “and do forget many things. How could you remember such as ourselves?”

With these words still in her mouth, they had entered the house, whereupon Mrs. Chou ordered a hired waiting-maid to pour the tea. While they were having their tea she remarked, “How Pan Erh has managed to grow!” and then went on to make inquiries on the subject of various matters, which had occurred after their separation.

“To-day,” she also asked of goody Liu, “were you simply passing by? or did you come with any express object?”

“I’ve come, the fact is, with an object!” promptly replied goody Liu; “(first of all) to see you, my dear sister-in-law; and, in the second place also, to inquire after my lady’s health. If you could introduce me to see her for a while, it would be better; but if you can’t, I must readily borrow your good offices, my sister-in-law, to convey my message.”

Mr. Chou Jui’s wife, after listening to these words, at once became to a great extent aware of the object of her visit. Her husband had, however, in years gone by in his attempt to purchase some land, obtained considerably the support of Kou Erh, so that when she, on this occasion, saw goody Liu in such a dilemma, she could not make up her mind to refuse her wish. Being in the second place keen upon making a display of her own respectability, she therefore said smilingly:

“Old goody Liu, pray compose your mind! You’ve come from far off with a pure heart and honest purpose, and how can I ever not show you the way how to see this living Buddha? Properly speaking, when people come and guests arrive, and verbal messages have to be given, these matters are not any of my business, as we all here have each one kind of duties to carry out. My husband has the special charge of the rents of land coming in, during the two seasons of spring and autumn, and when at leisure, he takes the young gentlemen out of doors, and then his business is done. As for myself, I have to accompany my lady and young married ladies on anything connected with out-of-doors; but as you are a relative of my lady and have besides treated me as a high person and come to me for help, I’ll, after all, break this custom and deliver your message. There’s only one thing, however, and which you, old lady, don’t know. We here are not what we were five years before. My lady now doesn’t much worry herself about anything; and it’s entirely lady Secunda who looks after the menage. But who do you presume is this lady Secunda? She’s the niece of my lady, and the daughter of my master, the eldest maternal uncle of by-gone days. Her infant name was Feng Ko.”

“Is it really she?” inquired promptly goody Liu, after this explanation. “Isn’t it strange? what I said about her years back has come out quite correct; but from all you say, shall I to-day be able to see her?”

“That goes without saying,” replied Chou Jui’s wife; “when any visitors come now-a-days, it’s always lady Feng who does the honours and entertains them, and it’s better to-day that you should see her for a while, for then you will not have walked all this way to no purpose.”

“O mi to fu!” exclaimed old goody Liu; “I leave it entirely to your convenience, sister-in-law.”

“What’s that you’re saying?” observed Chou Jui’s wife. “The proverb says: ‘Our convenience is the convenience of others.’ All I have to do is to just utter one word, and what trouble will that be to me.”

Saying this, she bade the young waiting maid go to the side pavilion, and quietly ascertain whether, in her old ladyship’s apartment, table had been laid.

The young waiting-maid went on this errand, and during this while, the two of them continued a conversation on certain irrelevant matters.

“This lady Feng,” observed goody Liu, “can this year be no older than twenty, and yet so talented as to manage such a household as this! the like of her is not easy to find!”

“Hai! my dear old goody,” said Chou Jui’s wife, after listening to her, “it’s not easy to explain; but this lady Feng, though young in years, is nevertheless, in the management of affairs, superior to any man. She has now excelled the others and developed the very features of a beautiful young woman. To say the least, she has ten thousand eyes in her heart, and were they willing to wager their mouths, why ten men gifted with eloquence couldn’t even outdo her! But by and bye, when you’ve seen her, you’ll know all about her! There’s only this thing, she can’t help being rather too severe in her treatment of those below her.”
只看该作者 21 发表于: 2009-03-14
While yet she spake, the young waiting-maid returned. “In her venerable lady’s apartment,” she reported, “repast has been spread, and already finished; lady Secunda is in madame Wang’s chamber.”

As soon as Chou Jui’s wife heard this news, she speedily got up and pressed goody Liu to be off at once. “This is,” she urged, “just the hour for her meal, and as she is free we had better first go and wait for her; for were we to be even one step too late, a crowd of servants will come with their reports, and it will then be difficult to speak to her; and after her siesta, she’ll have still less time to herself.”

As she passed these remarks, they all descended the couch together. Goody Liu adjusted their dresses, and, having impressed a few more words of advice on Pan Erh, they followed Chou Jui’s wife through winding passages to Chia Lien’s house. They came in the first instance into the side pavilion, where Chou Jui’s wife placed old goody Liu to wait a little, while she herself went ahead, past the screen-wall and into the entrance of the court.

Hearing that lady Feng had not come out, she went in search of an elderly waiting-maid of lady Feng, P’ing Erh by name, who enjoyed her confidence, to whom Chou Jui’s wife first recounted from beginning to end the history of old goody Liu.

“She has come to-day,” she went on to explain, “from a distance to pay her obeisance. In days gone by, our lady used often to meet her, so that, on this occasion, she can’t but receive her; and this is why I’ve brought her in! I’ll wait here for lady Feng to come down, and explain everything to her; and I trust she’ll not call me to task for officious rudeness.”

P’ing Erh, after hearing what she had to say, speedily devised the plan of asking them to walk in, and to sit there pending (lady Feng’s arrival), when all would be right.

Chou Jui’s wife thereupon went out and led them in. When they ascended the steps of the main apartment, a young waiting-maid raised a red woollen portière, and as soon as they entered the hall, they smelt a whiff of perfume as it came wafted into their faces: what the scent was they could not discriminate; but their persons felt as if they were among the clouds.

The articles of furniture and ornaments in the whole room were all so brilliant to the sight, and so vying in splendour that they made the head to swim and the eyes to blink, and old goody Liu did nothing else the while than nod her head, smack her lips and invoke Buddha. Forthwith she was led to the eastern side into the suite of apartments, where was the bedroom of Chia Lien’s eldest daughter. P’ing Erh, who was standing by the edge of the stove-couch, cast a couple of glances at old goody Liu, and felt constrained to inquire how she was, and to press her to have a seat.

Goody Liu, noticing that P’ing Erh was entirely robed in silks, that she had gold pins fixed in her hair, and silver ornaments in her coiffure, and that her countenance resembled a flower or the moon (in beauty), readily imagined her to be lady Feng, and was about to address her as my lady; but when she heard Mrs. Chou speak to her as Miss P’ing, and P’ing Erh promptly address Chou Jui’s wife as Mrs. Chou, she eventually became aware that she could be no more than a waiting-maid of a certain respectability.

She at once pressed old goody Liu and Pan Erh to take a seat on the stove-couch. P’ing Erh and Chou Jui’s wife sat face to face, on the edges of the couch. The waiting-maids brought the tea. After they had partaken of it, old goody Liu could hear nothing but a “lo tang, lo tang” noise, resembling very much the sound of a bolting frame winnowing flour, and she could not resist looking now to the East, and now to the West. Suddenly in the great Hall, she espied, suspended on a pillar, a box at the bottom of which hung something like the weight of a balance, which incessantly wagged to and fro.

“What can this thing be?” communed goody Liu in her heart, “What can be its use?” While she was aghast, she unexpectedly heard a sound of “tang” like the sound of a golden bell or copper cymbal, which gave her quite a start. In a twinkle of the eyes followed eight or nine consecutive strokes; and she was bent upon inquiring what it was, when she caught sight of several waiting-maids enter in a confused crowd. “Our lady has come down!” they announced.

P’ìng Erh, together with Chou Jui’s wife, rose with all haste. “Old goody Liu,” they urged, “do sit down and wait till it’s time, when we’ll come and ask you in.”

Saying this, they went out to meet lady Feng.

Old goody Liu, with suppressed voice and ear intent, waited in perfect silence. She heard at a distance the voices of some people laughing, whereupon about ten or twenty women, with rustling clothes and petticoats, made their entrance, one by one, into the hall, and thence into the room on the other quarter. She also detected two or three women, with red-lacquered boxes in their hands, come over on this part and remain in waiting.

“Get the repast ready!” she heard some one from the offside say.

The servants gradually dispersed and went out; and there only remained in attendance a few of them to bring in the courses. For a long time, not so much as the caw of a crow could be heard, when she unexpectedly perceived two servants carry in a couch-table, and lay it on this side of the divan. Upon this table were placed bowls and plates, in proper order replete, as usual, with fish and meats; but of these only a few kinds were slightly touched.

As soon as Pan Erh perceived (all these delicacies), he set up such a noise, and would have some meat to eat, but goody Liu administered to him such a slap, that he had to keep away.

Suddenly, she saw Mrs. Chou approach, full of smiles, and as she waved her hand, she called her. Goody Liu understood her meaning, and at once pulling Pan Erh off the couch, she proceeded to the centre of the Hall; and after Mrs. Chou had whispered to her again for a while, they came at length with slow step into the room on this side, where they saw on the outside of the door, suspended by brass hooks, a deep red flowered soft portière. Below the window, on the southern side, was a stove-couch, and on this couch was spread a crimson carpet. Leaning against the wooden partition wall, on the east side, stood a chain-embroidered back-cushion and a reclining pillow. There was also spread a large watered satin sitting cushion with a gold embroidered centre, and on the side stood cuspidores made of silver.

Lady Feng, when at home, usually wore on her head a front-piece of dark martin à la Chao Chün, surrounded with tassels of strung pearls. She had on a robe of peach-red flowered satin, a short pelisse of slate-blue stiff silk, lined with squirrel, and a jupe of deep red foreign crepe, lined with ermine. Resplendent with pearl-powder and with cosmetics, she sat in there, stately and majestic, with a small brass poker in her hands, with which she was stirring the ashes of the hand-stove. P’ing Erh stood by the side of the couch, holding a very small lacquered tea-tray. In this tray was a small tea-cup with a cover. Lady Feng neither took any tea, nor did she raise her head, but was intent upon stirring the ashes of the hand-stove.

“How is it you haven’t yet asked her to come in?” she slowly inquired; and as she spake, she turned herself round and was about to ask for some tea, when she perceived that Mrs. Chou had already introduced the two persons and that they were standing in front of her.

She forthwith pretended to rise, but did not actually get up, and with a face radiant with smiles, she ascertained about their health, after which she went in to chide Chou Jui’s wife. “Why didn’t you tell me they had come before?” she said.

Old goody Liu was already by this time prostrated on the ground, and after making several obeisances, “How are you, my lady?” she inquired.

“Dear Mrs. Chou,” lady Feng immediately observed, “do pull her up, and don’t let her prostrate herself! I’m yet young in years and don’t know her much; what’s more, I’ve no idea what’s the degree of the relationship between us, and I daren’t speak directly to her.”

“This is the old lady about whom I spoke a short while back,” speedily explained Mrs. Chou.

Lady Feng nodded her head assentingly.

By this time old goody Liu had taken a seat on the edge of the stove-couch. As for Pan Erh, he had gone further, and taken refuge behind her back; and though she tried, by every means, to coax him to come forward and make a bow, he would not, for the life of him, consent.

“Relatives though we be,” remarked lady Feng, as she smiled, “we haven’t seen much of each other, so that our relations have been quite distant. But those who know how matters stand will assert that you all despise us, and won’t often come to look us up; while those mean people, who don’t know the truth, will imagine that we have no eyes to look at any one.”

Old goody Liu promptly invoked Buddha. “We are at home in great straits,” she pleaded, “and that’s why it wasn’t easy for us to manage to get away and come! Even supposing we had come as far as this, had we not given your ladyship a slap on the mouth, those gentlemen would also, in point of fact, have looked down upon us as a mean lot.”

“Why, language such as this,” exclaimed lady Feng smilingly, “cannot help making one’s heart full of displeasure! We simply rely upon the reputation of our grandfather to maintain the status of a penniless official; that’s all! Why, in whose household is there anything substantial? we are merely the denuded skeleton of what we were in days of old, and no more! As the proverb has it: The Emperor himself has three families of poverty-stricken relatives; and how much more such as you and I?”

Having passed these remarks, she inquired of Mrs. Chou, “Have you let madame know, yes or no?”

“We are now waiting,” replied Mrs. Chou, “for my lady’s orders.”

“Go and have a look,” said lady Feng; “but, should there be any one there, or should she be busy, then don’t make any mention; but wait until she’s free, when you can tell her about it and see what she says.”

Chou Jui’s wife, having expressed her compliance, went off on this errand. During her absence, lady Feng gave orders to some servants to take a few fruits and hand them to Pan Erh to eat; and she was inquiring about one thing and another, when there came a large number of married women, who had the direction of affairs in the household, to make their several reports.

P’ing Erh announced their arrival to lady Feng, who said: “I’m now engaged in entertaining some guests, so let them come back again in the evening; but should there be anything pressing then bring it in and I’ll settle it at once.”

P’ing Erh left the room, but she returned in a short while. “I’ve asked them,” she observed, “but as there’s nothing of any urgency, I told them to disperse.” Lady Feng nodded her head in token of approval, when she perceived Chou Jui’s wife come back. “Our lady,” she reported, as she addressed lady Feng, “says that she has no leisure to-day, that if you, lady Secunda, will entertain them, it will come to the same thing; that she’s much obliged for their kind attention in going to the trouble of coming; that if they have come simply on a stroll, then well and good, but that if they have aught to say, they should tell you, lady Secunda, which will be tantamount to their telling her.”

“I’ve nothing to say,” interposed old goody Liu. “I simply come to see our elder and our younger lady, which is a duty on my part, a relative as I am.”

“Well, if there’s nothing particular that you’ve got to say, all right,” Mrs. Chou forthwith added, “but if you do have anything, don’t hesitate telling lady Secunda, and it will be just as if you had told our lady.”

As she uttered these words, she winked at goody Liu. Goody Liu understood what she meant, but before she could give vent to a word, her face got scarlet, and though she would have liked not to make any mention of the object of her visit, she felt constrained to suppress her shame and to speak out.

“Properly speaking,” she observed, “this being the first time I see you, my lady, I shouldn’t mention what I’ve to say, but as I come here from far off to seek your assistance, my old friend, I have no help but to mention it.”

She had barely spoken as much as this, when she heard the youths at the inner-door cry out: “The young gentleman from the Eastern Mansion has come.”

Lady Feng promptly interrupted her. “Old goody Liu,” she remarked, “you needn’t add anything more.” She, at the same time, inquired, “Where’s your master, Mr. Jung?” when became audible the sound of footsteps along the way, and in walked a young man of seventeen or eighteen. His appearance was handsome, his person slender and graceful. He had on light furs, a girdle of value, costly clothes and a beautiful cap.

At this stage, goody Liu did not know whether it was best to sit down or to stand up, neither could she find anywhere to hide herself.

“Pray sit down,” urged lady Feng, with a laugh; “this is my nephew!’ Old goody Liu then wriggled herself, now one way, and then another, on to the edge of the couch, where she took a seat.

“My father,” Chia Jung smilingly ventured, “has sent me to ask a favour of you, aunt. On some previous occasion, our grand aunt gave you, dear aunt, a stove-couch glass screen, and as to-morrow father has invited some guests of high standing, he wishes to borrow it to lay it out for a little show; after which he purposes sending it back again.”

“You’re late by a day,” replied lady Feng. “It was only yesterday that I gave it to some one.”

Chia Jung, upon hearing this, forthwith, with giggles and smiles, made, near the edge of the couch, a sort of genuflexion. “Aunt,” he went on, “if you don’t lend it, father will again say that I don’t know how to speak, and I shall get another sound thrashing. You must have pity upon your nephew, aunt.”

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” observed lady Feng sneeringly; “the things belonging to the Wang family are all good, but where have you put all those things of yours? the only good way is that you shouldn’t see anything of ours, for as soon as you catch sight of anything, you at once entertain a wish to carry it off.”

“Pray, aunt,” entreated Chia Jung with a smile, “do show me some compassion.”

“Mind your skin!” lady Feng warned him, “if you do chip or spoil it in the least.”

She then bade P’ing Erh take the keys of the door of the upstairs room and send for several trustworthy persons to carry it away.

Chia Jung was so elated that his eyebrows dilated and his eyes smiled. “I’ve brought myself,” he added, with vehemence, “some men to take it away; I won’t let them recklessly bump it about.”

Saying this, he speedily got up and left the room.

Lady Feng suddenly bethought herself of something, and turning towards the window, she called out, “Jung Erh, come back.” Several servants who stood outside caught up her words: “Mr. Jung,” they cried, “you’re requested to go back;” whereupon Chia Jung turned round and retraced his steps; and with hands drooping respectfully against his sides, he stood ready to listen to his aunt’s wishes.

Lady Feng was however intent upon gently sipping her tea, and after a good long while of abstraction, she at last smiled: “Never mind,” she remarked; “you can go. But come after you’ve had your evening meal, and I’ll then tell you about it. Just now there are visitors here; and besides, I don’t feel in the humour.”

Chia Jung thereupon retired with gentle step.

Old goody Liu, by this time, felt more composed in body and heart. “I’ve to-day brought your nephew,” she then explained, “not for anything else, but because his father and mother haven’t at home so much as anything to eat; the weather besides is already cold, so that I had no help but to take your nephew along and come to you, old friend, for assistance!”

As she uttered these words, she again pushed Pan Erh forward. “What did your father at home tell you to say?” she asked of him; “and what did he send us over here to do? Was it only to give our minds to eating fruit?”

Lady Feng had long ago understood what she meant to convey, and finding that she had no idea how to express herself in a decent manner, she readily interrupted her with a smile. “You needn’t mention anything,” she observed, “I’m well aware of how things stand;” and addressing herself to Mrs. Chou, she inquired, “Has this old lady had breakfast, yes or no?”

Old goody Liu hurried to explain. “As soon as it was daylight,” she proceeded, “we started with all speed on our way here, and had we even so much as time to have any breakfast?”

Lady Feng promptly gave orders to send for something to eat. In a short while Chou Jui’s wife had called for a table of viands for the guests, which was laid in the room on the eastern side, and then came to take goody Liu and Pan Erh over to have their repast.

“My dear Mrs. Chou,” enjoined lady Feng, “give them all they want, as I can’t attend to them myself;” which said, they hastily passed over into the room on the eastern side.

Lady Feng having again called Mrs. Chou, asked her: “When you first informed madame about them, what did she say?” “Our Lady observed,” replied Chou Jui’s wife, “that they don’t really belong to the same family; that, in former years, their grandfather was an official at the same place as our old master; that hence it came that they joined ancestors; that these few years there hasn’t been much intercourse (between their family and ours); that some years back, whenever they came on a visit, they were never permitted to go empty-handed, and that as their coming on this occasion to see us is also a kind attention on their part, they shouldn’t be slighted. If they’ve anything to say,” (our lady continued), “tell lady Secunda to do the necessary, and that will be right.”

“Isn’t it strange!” exclaimed lady Feng, as soon as she had heard the message; “since we are all one family, how is it I’m not familiar even with so much as their shadow?”

While she was uttering these words, old goody Liu had had her repast and come over, dragging Pan Erh; and, licking her lips and smacking her mouth, she expressed her thanks.

Lady Feng smiled. “Do pray sit down,” she said, “and listen to what I’m going to tell you. What you, old lady, meant a little while back to convey, I’m already as much as yourself well acquainted with! Relatives, as we are, we shouldn’t in fact have waited until you came to the threshold of our doors, but ought, as is but right, to have attended to your needs. But the thing is that, of late, the household affairs are exceedingly numerous, and our lady, advanced in years as she is, couldn’t at a moment, it may possibly be, bethink herself of you all! What’s more, when I took over charge of the management of the menage, I myself didn’t know of all these family connections! Besides, though to look at us from outside everything has a grand and splendid aspect, people aren’t aware that large establishments have such great hardships, which, were we to recount to others, they would hardly like to credit as true. But since you’ve now come from a great distance, and this is the first occasion that you open your mouth to address me, how can I very well allow you to return to your home with empty hands! By a lucky coincidence our lady gave, yesterday, to the waiting-maids, twenty taels to make clothes with, a sum which they haven’t as yet touched, and if you don’t despise it as too little, you may take it home as a first instalment, and employ it for your wants.”

When old goody Liu heard the mention made by lady Feng of their hardships, she imagined that there was no hope; but upon hearing her again speak of giving her twenty taels, she was exceedingly delighted, so much so that her eyebrows dilated and her eyes gleamed with smiles.

“We too know,” she smilingly remarked, “all about difficulties! but the proverb says, ‘A camel dying of leanness is even bigger by much than a horse!’ No matter what those distresses may be, were you yet to pluck one single hair from your body, my old friend, it would be stouter than our own waist.”

Chou Jui’s wife stood by, and on hearing her make these coarse utterances, she did all she could to give her a hint by winking, and make her desist. Lady Feng laughed and paid no heed; but calling P’ing Erh, she bade her fetch the parcel of money, which had been given to them the previous day, and to also bring a string of cash; and when these had been placed before goody Liu’s eyes: “This is,” said lady Feng, “silver to the amount of twenty taels, which was for the time given to these young girls to make winter clothes with; but some other day, when you’ve nothing to do, come again on a stroll, in evidence of the good feeling which should exist between relatives. It’s besides already late, and I don’t wish to detain you longer and all for no purpose; but, on your return home, present my compliments to all those of yours to whom I should send them.”

As she spake, she stood up. Old goody Liu gave utterance to a thousand and ten thousand expressions of gratitude, and taking the silver and cash, she followed Chou Jui’s wife on her way to the out-houses. “Well, mother dear,” inquired Mrs. Chou, “what did you think of my lady that you couldn’t speak; and that whenever you opened your mouth it was all ‘your nephew.’ I’ll make just one remark, and I don’t mind if you do get angry. Had he even been your kindred nephew, you should in fact have been somewhat milder in your language; for that gentleman, Mr. Jung, is her kith and kin nephew, and whence has appeared such another nephew of hers (as Pan Erh)?”

Old goody Liu smiled. “My dear sister-in-law,” she replied, “as I gazed upon her, were my heart and eyes, pray, full of admiration or not? and how then could I speak as I should?”

As they were chatting, they reached Chou Jui’s house. They had been sitting for a while, when old goody Liu produced a piece of silver, which she was purposing to leave behind, to be given to the young servants in Chou Jui’s house to purchase fruit to eat; but how could Mrs. Chou satiate her eye with such a small piece of silver? She was determined in her refusal to accept it, so that old goody Liu, after assuring her of her boundless gratitude, took her departure out of the back gate she had come in from.

Reader, you do not know what happened after old goody Liu left, but listen to the explanation which will be given in the next chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
只看该作者 22 发表于: 2009-03-14
第 七 回

送宫花贾琏戏熙凤 宴宁府宝玉会秦钟

话说周瑞家的送了刘姥姥去後,便上来回王夫人话,谁知王夫人不在上房,问丫鬟们时,方知往薛姨妈那边闲话去了。周瑞家的听说,便转出东角门至东院,往梨香院来。刚至院门前,只见王夫人的丫鬟名金钏儿者,和那一个才留了头的小女孩儿站在台阶坡上顽。见周瑞家的来了,便知有话回,因向内努嘴儿。

周瑞家的轻轻掀帘进去,见王夫人和薛姨妈长篇大套的说些家务人情等语。周瑞家的不敢惊动,遂进里间来。只见薛宝钗穿著家常衣服,头上只散挽著纂儿,坐在炕边里,伏在小炕桌上同丫鬟莺儿正描花样子呢。见他进来,便放下笔,转过身来,满面堆笑让:“周姐姐坐。”周瑞家的也忙陪笑问:“姑娘好?”一面炕沿上坐了,因说:“这有两三天也没见姑娘到那边逛逛去,只怕是你宝兄弟冲撞了你不成?”宝钗笑道:“那里的话。只因我那种病又发了,所以这两天没出屋子。”周瑞家的道:“正是呢!姑娘到底有什么病根儿,也该趁早儿请个大夫来,好生开个方子,认真吃几剂,一势儿除了根才是。小小的年纪倒作下个病根儿,也不是顽的!”宝钗听了便笑道:“再不要提吃药。为这病请大夫吃药,也不知白花了多少银子钱呢!凭你什么名医仙药,从不见一点儿效。後来还亏了一个秃头和尚,说专治无名之症,因请他看了。他说我这是从胎里带来的一股热毒,幸而先天壮,还不相干;若吃寻常药,是不中用的。他就说了一个海上方,又给了一包药末子作引子,异香异气的,不知是那里弄了来的。他说发了时吃一丸就好。倒也奇怪,吃他的药倒效验些。”

周瑞家的因问:“不知是什么海上方儿?姑娘说了,我们也记着,说与人知道,倘遇见这样病,也是行好的事。”宝钗见问,乃笑道:“不用这方儿还好,若用了这方儿,真真把人琐碎死。东西药料一概都有限,只难得‘可巧’二字:要春天开的白牡丹花蕊十二两,夏天开的白荷花蕊十二两,秋天的白芙蓉花蕊十二两,冬天的白梅花蕊十二两。将这四样花蕊,于次年春分这日晒乾,和在药末子一处,一齐研好。又要雨水这日的雨水十二钱,……”周瑞家的忙道:“嗳哟!这么说来,这就得三年的工夫。倘或雨水这日不下雨,可又怎处呢?”宝钗笑道:“所以说那里有这样可巧的雨?便没雨也只好再等罢了。白露这日的露水十二钱,霜降这一日的霜十二钱,小雪这一日的雪十二钱。把这四样水调匀了,和了药,再加十二钱的蜂蜜,十二钱的白糖,丸了龙眼大的丸子,盛在旧磁坛内,埋在花根底下。若发了病时,拿出来吃一丸,用十二分黄柏煎汤送下。”

周瑞家的听了笑道:“阿弥陀佛!真坑死人的事儿!等十年都未必这样巧呢。”宝钗道:“竟好。自他说了去後,一二年间可巧都得了,可巧都得了,好容易配成了一料。如今从南带至北,现在就埋在梨花树底呢。”周瑞家的又问道:“这药有名子没有呢?”宝钗道:“有。这也是那和尚说下的,叫做‘冷香丸’。”周瑞家的听了,点头儿,因又说:“这病发了时到底觉怎么着?”宝钗道:“也不觉甚怎么著,只不过喘嗽些,吃一丸下去也就好些了。”

周瑞家的还欲说话时,忽听王夫人问:“谁在房里呢?”周瑞家的忙出去答应了,趁便回了刘姥姥之事。略待片刻,见王夫人无话,方欲退出,薛姨妈忽又笑道:“你且站住。我有一宗东西,你带了去罢。”说着便叫香菱。只听帘栊响处,方才和金钏顽的那个小丫头进来了,问:“奶奶叫我做什么?”薛姨妈道:“把那匣子里的花儿拿来。”香菱答应了,向那边捧了个小锦匣来。薛姨妈道:“这是宫里头的新鲜样法,拿纱堆的花儿十二支。昨儿我想拿起来,白放着可惜了儿的,何不给他们姐妹们戴去。昨儿要送去,偏又忘了。你今儿来的巧,就带了去罢。你家的三位姑娘,每人一对,剩下六枝,送林姑娘两枝,那四枝给了凤哥罢。”王夫人道:“留著给宝丫头戴罢,又想着他们作什么。”薛姨妈道:“姨娘不知道,宝丫头怪著呢,他从来不爱这些花儿粉儿的。”

说著,周瑞家的拿了匣子,走出房门,见金钏仍在那里晒日阳儿,周瑞家的因问他道:“那香菱小丫头子,可就是常说临上京时买的、为他打人命官司的那个小丫头子?”金钏道:“可不是他。”正说著,只见香菱笑嘻嘻的走来。周瑞家的便拉了他的手,细细的看了一会,因向金钏儿笑道:“倒好个模样儿,竟有些像咱们东府里蓉大奶奶的品格儿。”金钏儿笑道:“我也是这们说呢。”周瑞家的又问香菱:“你几年投身到这里?”又问:“你父母今在何处?今年十几岁了?本处是那里人?”香菱听问,都摇头说:“不记得了。”周瑞家的和金钏儿听了,倒反为叹息伤感一回。

一时周瑞家的携花至王夫人正房後头来。原来近日贾母说孙女儿们太多了,一处挤着倒不方便,只留宝玉黛玉二人这边解闷,却将迎、惜、探三人移到王夫人这边房后三间小抱厦内居住,令李纨陪伴照管。如今周瑞家的故顺路先往这里来,只见几个小丫头都在抱厦内听呼唤呢。迎春的丫鬟司棋与探春的丫鬟侍书二人正掀帘子出来,手里都捧着茶钟,周瑞家的便知他们姐妹在一处坐著呢,遂进入内房。只见迎春探春二人正在窗下围棋。周瑞家的将花送上,说明缘故。二人忙住了棋,都欠身道谢,命丫鬟们收了。

周瑞家的答应了,因说:“四姑娘不在房里,只怕在老太太那边呢。”丫鬟们道:“那屋里不是四姑娘?”周瑞家的听了,便往这边屋里来。只见惜春正同水月庵的小姑子智能儿一处玩耍呢,见周瑞家的进来,惜春便问他何事。周瑞家的将花匣打开,说明原故。惜春笑道:“我这里正和智能儿说,我明儿也剃了头同他作姑子去呢,可巧又送了花儿来;若剃了头,可把这花儿戴在那里呢?”说著,大家取笑一回,惜春命丫鬟入画来收了。

周瑞家的因问智能儿:“你是什麽时候来的?你师父那秃歪剌往那里去了?”智能儿道:“我们一早就来了。我师父见了太太,就往于老爷府内去了,叫我在这里等他呢。”周瑞家的道:“十五的月例香供银子可得了没有?”智能儿摇头儿说:“我不知道。”惜春听了,便问周瑞家的:“如今各庙月例银子是谁管着?”周瑞家的道:“是余信管著。”惜春听了笑道:“这就是了。他师父一来,余信家的就赶上来,和他师父咕唧了半日,想是就为这事了。”

那周瑞家的又和智能儿劳叨了一回,便往凤姐儿处来。穿夹道从李纨後窗下过来,隔著玻璃窗户,见李纨在炕上歪著睡觉呢,遂越过西花墙,出西角门进入凤姐院中。走至堂屋,只见小丫头丰儿坐在凤姐房中门槛上,见周瑞家的来了,连忙摆手儿叫他往东屋里去。周瑞家的会意,忙蹑手蹑足往东边房里来,只见奶子正拍著大姐儿睡觉呢。周瑞家的悄问奶子道:“姐儿睡中觉呢?也该醒了。”奶子摇头儿。正说著,只听那边一阵笑声,却有贾琏的声音。接著房门响处,平儿拿著大铜盆出来,叫丰儿舀水进去。平儿便到这边来,一见了周瑞家的便问:“你老人家又跑了来作什麽?”周瑞家的忙起身,拿匣子与他,说送花儿一事。平儿听了,便打开匣子,拿了四枝,转身去了。半刻工夫,手里拿出两枝来,先叫彩明吩咐道:“送到那边府里给小蓉大奶奶戴去。”次後方命周瑞家的回去道谢。

周瑞家的这才往贾母这边来。穿过了穿堂,抬头忽见他女儿打扮着才从他婆家来。周瑞家的忙问:“你这会跑来作什么?”他女孩儿笑道:“妈,一向身上好?我在家里等了这半日,妈竟不出去,什麽事情这样忙的不回家?我等烦了,自己先到老太太跟前请了安了,这会子请太太的安去。妈还有什么不了的差事,手里是什麽东西?”周瑞家的笑道:“嗳!今儿偏偏的来了个刘姥姥,我自己多事,为他跑了半日;这会子又被姨太太看见了,送这几枝花儿与姑娘奶奶们。这会子还没有送清楚呢。你这会子跑来,一定有什么事。”他女儿笑道:“你老人家倒会猜。实对你老人家说,你女婿前儿因多吃了两杯酒,和人分争,不知怎的被人放了一把邪火,说他来历不明,告到衙门里,要递解还乡。所以我来和你老人家商议商议,这个情分,可求那一个可了事呢?”周瑞家的听了道:“我就知道呢。这有什麽大不了的事!你且家去等我,我给林姑娘送了花儿去就回家去。此时太太****奶都不得闲儿,你回去等我。这有什么,忙的如此。”他女孩儿听了,便回去了,又说:“妈,好歹快来。”周瑞家的道:“是了。小人儿家没经过什么事,就急得你这样了。”说著,便到黛玉房中去了。

谁知此时黛玉不在自己房中,却在宝玉房中大家解九连环顽呢。周瑞家的进来笑道:“林姑娘,姨太太着我送花儿与姑娘戴来了。”宝玉听说,便先说:“什么花儿?拿来给我。”一面早伸手接过了。开匣看时,原来是宫制堆纱新巧的假花儿。黛玉只就宝玉手中看了一看,便问道:“还是单送我一人的,还是别的姑娘们都有呢?”周瑞家的道:“各位都有了,这两枝是姑娘的了。”黛玉冷笑道:“我就知道,别人不挑剩下的也不给我。”周瑞家的听了,一声儿也不言语。宝玉便问道:“周姐姐,你作什么到那边去了。”周瑞家的因说:“太太在那边,因回话去了,姨太太就顺便叫我带来了。”宝玉道:“宝姐姐在家里作什么呢?怎么这几日也不过这边来?”周瑞家的道:“身上不大好呢。”宝玉听了,便和丫头们说:“谁去瞧瞧?只说我与林姑娘打发来请姨太太姐姐安,问姐姐是什么病,现吃什麽药。论理我该亲自来的,就说才从学里回来,也着了些凉,异日再亲自来看罢。”说著,茜雪便答应去了。周瑞家的自去,无话。

原来这周瑞家的女婿便是雨村的好友冷子兴,近因卖古董和人打官司,故教女人来讨情分。周瑞家的仗着主子的势力,把这些事也不放在心上,晚间只求求凤姐便完了。

至掌灯时分,凤姐已卸了妆,来见王夫人回话:“今儿甄家送了来的东西,我已收了。咱们送他的,趁着他家有年下进鲜的船回去,一并都交给他们带了去罢?”王夫人点头。凤姐又道:“临安伯老太太生日的礼已经打点了,派谁送去呢?”王夫人道:“你瞧瞧谁闲著,就叫他们去四个女人就是了,又来当什么正经事问我。”凤姐又笑道:“今日珍大嫂子来,请我明日过去逛逛,明日倒没有什么事情。”王夫人道:“有事没事都害不着什么。每常他来请,有我们,你自然不便意;他既不请我们,单请你,可知是他诚心叫你散淡散淡,别辜负了他的心,便有事也该过去才是。”凤姐答应了。当下李纨、迎、探等姊妹们亦来定省毕,各归房无话。

次日凤姐梳洗了,先回王夫人毕,方来辞贾母。宝玉听了,也要跟了逛去。凤姐只得答应,立等著换了衣服,姐儿两个坐了车,一时进入宁府。早有贾珍之妻尤氏与贾蓉之妻秦氏婆媳两个,引了多少姬妾丫鬟媳妇等接出仪门。那尤氏一见了凤姐,必先笑嘲一阵,一手携了宝玉,同入上房来归坐。秦氏献茶毕。凤姐因说:“你们请我来做什么?有什麽好东西孝敬我,就快献上来,我还有事呢。”尤氏秦氏未及答话,地下几个姬妾先就笑说:“****奶今儿不来就罢,既来了就依不得****奶了。”正说著,只见贾蓉进来请安。宝玉因问:“大哥哥今日不在家么?”尤氏道:“出城与老爷请安去了。可是你怪闷的,也坐在这里作什么?何不也去逛逛?”

秦氏笑道:“今儿巧,上回宝叔立刻要见的我那兄弟,他今儿也在这里,想在书房里呢,宝叔叔何不去瞧一瞧?”宝玉听了,即便下炕要走。尤氏凤姐都忙说:“好生着,忙什么?”一面便吩咐好生小心跟着他、别委曲着他,倒比不得跟了老太太过来就罢了。”凤姐说道:“既这么着,何不请这秦小爷来,我也瞧一瞧。难道我见不得他不成?”尤氏笑道:“罢,罢!可以不必见他,比不得咱们家的孩子们,胡打海摔的惯了。人家的孩子都是斯斯文文的惯了,乍见了你这破落户,还被人笑话死了呢。”凤姐笑道:“普天下的人,我不笑话就罢了,竟叫小孩子笑话我不成?”贾蓉笑道:“不是这话,他生的腼腆,没见过大阵仗儿,婶子见了,没的生气。”凤姐道:“凭他什么样儿的,我也要见一见!别放你娘的屁了。再不带来我看看,给你一顿好嘴巴。”贾蓉嘻嘻笑的说:“我不敢扭着,就带他来。”

说着,果然出来带进一个小後生来,较宝玉略瘦些,眉清目秀,粉面朱唇,身材俊俏,举止风流,似在宝玉之上,只是怯怯羞羞,有女儿之态,腼腆含糊,慢向凤姐作揖问好。凤姐喜的先推宝玉,笑道:“比下去了!”便探身一把携了这孩子的手,就命他身傍坐了,慢慢的问他:几岁了,读什么书,弟兄几个,学名唤什么。秦钟一一答应了。早有凤姐的丫鬟媳妇们见凤姐初会秦钟,并未备得表礼来,遂忙过那边去告诉平儿。平儿知道凤姐与秦氏厚密,虽是小後生家,亦不可太俭,遂自作主意,拿了一疋尺头、两个“状元及第”的小金锞子,交付与来人送过去。凤姐犹笑说太简薄等语。秦氏等谢毕。一时吃过饭,尤氏、凤姐、秦氏等抹骨牌,不在话下。

那宝玉自见了秦钟的人品出众,心中似有所失,痴了半日,自己心中又起了呆想,乃自思道:“天下竟有这等的人物!如今看来,我竟成了泥猪癞狗了。可恨我为什么生在这侯门公府之家,若也生在寒门薄宦之家,早得与他交结,也不枉生了一世。我虽如此比他尊贵,可知锦绣纱罗,也不过裹了我这根死木头;美酒羊羔,也不过填了我这粪窟泥沟。‘富贵’二字,不料遭我荼毒了!”秦钟自见了宝玉形容出众,举止不凡,更兼金冠绣服,娇婢侈童,秦钟心中亦自思道:“果然这宝玉怨不得人溺爱他。可恨我偏生于清寒之家,不能与他耳鬓交接,可恨‘贫窭’二字限人,亦世间大不快事。”二人一样的胡思乱想。忽然宝玉问他读什么书。秦钟见问,因而答以实话。二人你言我语,十来句後,越觉亲密起来。

一时摆上茶果,宝玉便说:“我们两个又不吃酒,把果子摆在里间小炕上,我们那里坐去,省得闹你们。”于是二人进里间来吃茶。秦氏一面张罗凤姐摆酒果,一面忙进来嘱咐宝玉道:“宝叔,你侄儿倘或言语不防头,你千万看着我,不要理他。他虽腼腆,却性子左强,不大随和此是有的。”宝玉笑道:“你去罢,我知道了。”秦氏又嘱了他兄弟一回,方去陪凤姐。

一时凤姐尤氏又打发人来问宝玉:“要吃什么,外面有,只管要去。”宝玉只答应著,也无心在饮食上,只问秦钟近日家务等事。秦钟因说:“业师于去年病故,家父又年纪老迈,残疾在身,公务繁冗,因此尚未议及再延师一事,目下不过在家温习旧课而已。再读书一事,必须有一二知己为伴,时常大家讨论,方能进益。”宝玉不待说完,便答道:“正是呢,我们却有个家塾,合族中有不能延师的,便可入塾读书,子弟们中亦有亲戚在内可以附读。我因业师上年回家去了,也现荒废着呢。家父之意,亦欲暂送我去温习旧书,待明年业师上来,再各自在家里读。家祖母因说:一则家学里子弟太多,生恐大家淘气,反不好;二则也因我病了几天,遂暂且耽搁着。如此说来,尊翁如今也为此事悬心。今日回去,何不禀明,就往我们敝塾中来,我亦相伴,彼此有益,岂不是好事?”秦钟笑道:“家父前日在家提起延师一事,也曾提起这里的义学倒好,原要来和这里的亲翁商议引荐。因这里又事忙,不便为这点小事来絮聒的。宝叔果然度小侄或可磨墨涤砚,何不速速的作成,又彼此不致荒废,又可以常相谈聚,又可以慰父母之心,又可以得朋友之乐,岂不是美事?”宝玉道:“放心,放心。咱们回来告诉你姐夫姐姐和琏二嫂子。你今日回家就禀明令尊,我回去再禀明祖母,再无不速成之理。”二人计议一定。那天气已是掌灯时候,出来又看他们顽了一回牌。算赈时,却又是秦氏尤氏二人输了戏酒的东道,言定後日吃这东道。一面就叫送饭。

吃毕晚饭,因天黑了,尤氏说:“先派两个小子送了这秦相公家去。”媳妇们传出去半日,秦钟告辞起身。尤氏问:“派了谁送去?”媳妇们回说:“外头派了焦大,谁知焦大醉了,又骂呢。”尤氏秦氏都说:“偏又派他做什麽?放著这些小子们,那一个派不得?偏要惹他去。”凤姐道:“我成日家里说你太软弱了,纵的家里人这样还了得了?”尤氏叹道:“你难道不知这焦大的?连老爷都不理他的,你珍大哥哥也不理他。只因他从小儿跟著太爷们出过三四回兵,从死人堆里把太爷背了出来,得了命;自己挨著饿,却偷了东西来给主子吃;两日没得水,得了半碗水给主子喝,他自己喝马溺。不过仗著这些功劳情分,有祖宗时,都另眼相待,如今谁肯难为他去。他自己又老了,又不顾体面,一味吃酒,吃醉了,无人不骂。我常说给管事的,不要派他差事,全当一个死的就完了。今儿又派了他。”凤姐道:“我何尝不知这焦大。倒是你们没主意,有这样的,何不打发他远远的庄子上去就完了。”说着,因问:“我们的车子可齐备了?”地下众人都应道:“伺候齐了。”

凤姐起身告辞,和宝玉携手同行。尤氏等送至大厅,只见灯火辉煌,众小厮们都在丹墀侍立。那焦大恃贾珍不在家,即在家亦不好怎样他,更可以任意洒落洒落。因趁著酒兴,先骂大总管赖二,说他不公道,欺软怕硬,“有了好差使就派别人,象这等黑更半夜送人的事,就派我,没良心的忘八羔子!瞎充管家!你也不想想,焦大太爷跷跷脚,比你的头还高呢。二十年头里的焦大太爷眼里有谁?别说你们这一起杂种王八羔子们!”

正骂的兴头上,贾蓉送凤姐的车出去,众人喝他不听,贾蓉忍不得,便骂了他几句,使人捆起来,“等明日酒醒了,问他还寻死不寻死了!”那焦大那里把贾蓉放在眼,反大叫起来,赶著贾蓉叫:“蓉哥儿,你别在焦大跟前使主子性儿。别说你这样儿的,就是你爹、你爷爷,也不敢和焦大挺腰子!不是焦大一个人,你们就做官儿享荣华受富贵?你祖宗九死一生挣下这家业,到如今了,不报我的恩,反和我充起主子来了。不和我说别的还可,若再说别的,咱们红刀子进去白刀子出来!”凤姐在车上说与贾蓉道:“以後还不早打发了这个没王法的东西!留在这里岂不是祸害?倘或亲友知道了,岂不笑话咱们这样的人家,连个王法规矩都没有。”贾蓉答应“是”。

众小厮见他太撒野了,只得上来了几个,揪翻捆倒,拖往马圈里去。焦大越发连贾珍都说出来,乱嚷乱叫说:“我要往往祠堂里哭太爷去。那里承望到如今生下这些畜生来!每日家偷狗戏鸡,爬灰的爬灰,养小叔子的养小叔子,我什么不知道?咱们‘胳膊折了往袖子里藏’!”众小厮儿听他说出这些没天日的话来,唬的魂飞魄丧,也不顾别的了,便把他捆起来,用土和马粪满满的填了他一嘴。

凤姐和贾蓉也遥遥的闻得,便都装作没听见。宝玉在车上见这般醉闹,倒也有趣,因问凤姐道:“姐姐,你听他说‘爬灰的爬灰’,什麽是‘爬灰’?”凤姐听了,连忙立眉嗔目断喝道:“少胡说!那是醉汉嘴里混吣,你是什麽样的人,不说没听见,还倒细问!等我回去回了太太,仔细捶你不捶你!”唬的宝玉忙央告道:“好姐姐,我再不敢了。”凤姐道:“这才是呢。等到了家,咱们回了老太太,打发你同秦家侄儿学里念书去要紧。”说着,却自回往荣府而来。正是:

不因俊俏难为友,正为风流始读书。
只看该作者 23 发表于: 2009-03-14
CHAPTER VII.
Presentation of artificial flowers made in the Palace — Chia Lien disports himself with Hsi-feng — Pao-yü meets Ch’in Chung at a family party.
To resume our narrative. Chou Jui’s wife having seen old goody Liu off, speedily came to report the visit to madame Wang; but, contrary to her expectation, she did not find madame Wang in the drawing-room; and it was after inquiring of the waiting-maids that she eventually learnt that she had just gone over to have a chat with “aunt” Hsüeh. Mrs. Chou, upon hearing this, hastily went out by the eastern corner door, and through the yard on the east, into the Pear Fragrance Court.

As soon as she reached the entrance, she caught sight of madame Wang’s waiting-maid, Chin Ch’uan-erh, playing about on the terrace steps, with a young girl, who had just let her hair grow. When they saw Chou Jui’s wife approach, they forthwith surmised that she must have some message to deliver, so they pursed up their lips and directed her to the inner-room. Chou Jui’s wife gently raised the curtain-screen, and upon entering discovered madame Wang, in voluble conversation with “aunt” Hsüeh, about family questions and people in general.

Mrs. Chou did not venture to disturb them, and accordingly came into the inner room, where she found Hsüeh Pao-ch’ai in a house dress, with her hair simply twisted into a knot round the top of the head, sitting on the inner edge of the stove-couch, leaning on a small divan table, in the act of copying a pattern for embroidery, with the waiting-maid Ying Erh. When she saw her enter, Pao Ch’ai hastily put down her pencil, and turning round with a face beaming with smiles, “Sister Chou,” she said, “take a seat.”

Chou Jui’s wife likewise promptly returned the smile.

“How is my young lady?” she inquired, as she sat down on the edge of the couch. “I haven’t seen you come over on the other side for two or three days! Has Mr. Pao-yü perhaps given you offence?”

“What an idea!” exclaimed Pao Ch’ai, with a smile. “It’s simply that I’ve had for the last couple of days my old complaint again, and that I’ve in consequence kept quiet all this time, and looked after myself.”

“Is that it?” asked Chou Jui’s wife; “but after all, what rooted kind of complaint are you subject to, miss? you should lose really no time in sending for a doctor to diagnose it, and give you something to make you all right. With your tender years, to have an organic ailment is indeed no trifle!”

Pao Ch’ai laughed when she heard these remarks.

“Pray,” she said, “don’t allude to this again; for this ailment of mine I’ve seen, I can’t tell you, how many doctors; taken no end of medicine and spent I don’t know how much money; but the more we did so, not the least little bit of relief did I see. Lucky enough, we eventually came across a bald-pated bonze, whose speciality was the cure of nameless illnesses. We therefore sent for him to see me, and he said that I had brought this along with me from the womb as a sort of inflammatory virus, that luckily I had a constitution strong and hale so that it didn’t matter; and that it would be of no avail if I took pills or any medicines. He then told me a prescription from abroad, and gave me also a packet of a certain powder as a preparative, with a peculiar smell and strange flavour. He advised me, whenever my complaint broke out, to take a pill, which would be sure to put me right again. And this has, after all, strange to say, done me a great deal of good.”

“What kind of prescription is this one from abroad, I wonder,” remarked Mrs. Chou; “if you, miss, would only tell me, it would be worth our while bearing it in mind, and recommending it to others: and if ever we came across any one afflicted with this disease, we would also be doing a charitable deed.”

“You’d better not ask for the prescription,” rejoined Pao Ch’ai smiling. “Why, its enough to wear one out with perplexity! the necessaries and ingredients are few, and all easy to get, but it would be difficult to find the lucky moment! You want twelve ounces of the pollen of the white peone, which flowers in spring, twelve ounces of the pollen of the white summer lily, twelve ounces of the pollen of the autumn hibiscus flower, and twelve ounces of the white plum in bloom in the winter. You take the four kinds of pollen, and put them in the sun, on the very day of the vernal equinox of the succeeding year to get dry, and then you mix them with the powder and pound them well together. You again want twelve mace of water, fallen on ‘rain water’ day.....”

“Good gracious!” exclaimed Mrs. Chou promptly, as she laughed. “From all you say, why you want three years’ time! and what if no rain falls on ‘rain water’ day! What would one then do?”

“Quite so!” Pao Ch’ai remarked smilingly; “how can there be such an opportune rain on that very day! but to wait is also the best thing, there’s nothing else to be done. Besides, you want twelve mace of dew, collected on ‘White Dew’ day, and twelve mace of the hoar frost, gathered on ‘Frost Descent’ day, and twelve mace of snow, fallen on ‘Slight Snow’ day! You next take these four kinds of waters and mix them with the other ingredients, and make pills of the size of a lungngan. You keep them in an old porcelain jar, and bury them under the roots of some flowers; and when the ailment betrays itself, you produce it and take a pill, washing it down with two candareens of a yellow cedar decoction.”

“O-mi-to-fu!” cried Mrs. Chou, when she heard all this, bursting out laughing. “It’s really enough to kill one! you might wait ten years and find no such lucky moments!”

“Fortunate for me, however,” pursued Pao Ch’ai, “in the course of a year or two, after the bonze had told me about this prescription, we got all the ingredients; and, after much trouble, we compounded a supply, which we have now brought along with us from the south to the north; and lies at present under the pear trees.”

“Has this medicine any name or other of its own?” further inquired Mrs. Chou.

“It has a name,” replied Pao Ch’ai; “the mangy-headed bonze also told it me; he called it ‘cold fragrance’ pill.”

Chou Jui’s wife nodded her head, as she heard these words. “What do you feel like after all when this complaint manifests itself?” she went on to ask.

“Nothing much,” replied Pao Ch’ai; “I simply pant and cough a bit; but after I’ve taken a pill, I get over it, and it’s all gone.”

Mrs. Chou was bent upon making some further remark, when madame Wang was suddenly heard to enquire, “Who is in here?”

Mrs. Chou went out hurriedly and answered; and forthwith told her all about old goody Liu’s visit. Having waited for a while, and seeing that madame Wang had nothing to say, she was on the point of retiring, when “aunt” Hsueh unexpectedly remarked smiling: “Wait a bit! I’ve something to give you to take along with you.”

And as she spoke, she called for Hsiang Ling. The sound of the screen-board against the sides of the door was heard, and in walked the waiting-maid, who had been playing with Chin Ch’uan-erh. “Did my lady call?” she asked.

“Bring that box of flowers,” said Mrs. Hsueh.

Hsiang Ling assented, and brought from the other side a small embroidered silk box.

“These,” explained “aunt” Hsüeh, “are a new kind of flowers, made in the palace. They consist of twelve twigs of flowers of piled gauze. I thought of them yesterday, and as they will, the pity is, only get old, if uselessly put away, why not give them to the girls to wear them in their hair! I meant to have sent them over yesterday, but I forgot all about them. You come to-day most opportunely, and if you will take them with you, I shall have got them off my hands. To the three young ladies in your family give two twigs each, and of the six that will remain give a couple to Miss Lin, and the other four to lady Feng.”

“Better keep them and give them to your daughter Pao Ch’ai to wear,” observed madame Wang, “and have done with it; why think of all the others?”

“You don’t know, sister,” replied “aunt” Hsüeh, “what a crotchety thing Pao Ch’ai is! she has no liking for flower or powder.”

With these words on her lips, Chou Jui’s wife took the box and walked out of the door of the room. Perceiving that Chin Ch’uan-erh was still sunning herself outside, Chou Jui’s wife asked her: “Isn’t this Hsiang Ling, the waiting-maid that we’ve often heard of as having been purchased just before the departure of the Hsüeh family for the capital, and on whose account there occurred some case of manslaughter or other?”

“Of course it’s she,” replied Chin Ch’uan. But as they were talking, they saw Hsiang Ling draw near smirkingly, and Chou Jui’s wife at once seized her by the hand, and after minutely scrutinizing her face for a time, she turned round to Chin Ch’uan-erh and smiled. “With these features she really resembles slightly the style of lady Jung of our Eastern Mansion.”

“So I too maintain!” said Chin Ch’uan-erh.

Chou Jui’s wife then asked Hsiang Ling, “At what age did you enter this family? and where are your father and mother at present?” and also inquired, “In what year of your teens are you? and of what place are you a native?”

But Hsiang Ling, after listening to all these questions, simply nodded her head and replied, “I can’t remember.”

When Mrs. Chou and Chin Ch’uan-erh heard these words, their spirits changed to grief, and for a while they felt affected and wounded at heart; but in a short time, Mrs. Chou brought the flowers into the room at the back of madame Wang’s principal apartment.

The fact is that dowager lady Chia had explained that as her granddaughters were too numerous, it would not be convenient to crowd them together in one place, that Pao-yü and Tai-yü should only remain with her in this part to break her loneliness, but that Ying Ch’un, T’an Ch’un, and Hsi Ch’un, the three of them, should move on this side in the three rooms within the antechamber, at the back of madame lady Wang’s quarters; and that Li Wan should be told off to be their attendant and to keep an eye over them.

Chou Jui’s wife, therefore, on this occasion came first to these rooms as they were on her way, but she only found a few waiting-maids assembled in the antechamber, waiting silently to obey a call.

Ying Ch’un’s waiting-maid, Ssu Chi, together with Shih Shu, T’an Ch’un’s waiting-maid, just at this moment raised the curtain, and made their egress, each holding in her hand a tea-cup and saucer; and Chou Jui’s wife readily concluding that the young ladies were sitting together also walked into the inner room, where she only saw Ying Ch’un and T’an Ch’un seated near the window, in the act of playing chess. Mrs. Chou presented the flowers and explained whence they came, and what they were.

The girls forthwith interrupted their game, and both with a curtsey, expressed their thanks, and directed the waiting-maids to put the flowers away.

Mrs. Chou complied with their wishes (and handing over the flowers); “Miss Hsi Ch’un,” she remarked, “is not at home; and possibly she’s over there with our old lady.”

“She’s in that room, isn’t she?” inquired the waiting-maids.

Mrs. Chou at these words readily came into the room on this side, where she found Hsi Ch’un, in company with a certain Chih Neng, a young nun of the “moon reflected on water” convent, talking and laughing together. On seeing Chou Jui’s wife enter, Hsi Ch’un at once asked what she wanted, whereupon Chou Jui’s wife opened the box of flowers, and explained who had sent them.

“I was just telling Chih Neng,” remarked Hsi Ch’un laughing, “that I also purpose shortly shaving my head and becoming a nun; and strange enough, here you again bring me flowers; but supposing I shave my head, where can I wear them?”

They were all very much amused for a time with this remark, and Hsi Ch’un told her waiting-maid, Ju Hua, to come and take over the flowers.

“What time did you come over?” then inquired Mrs. Chou of Chih Neng. “Where is that bald-pated and crotchety superior of yours gone?”

“We came,” explained Chih Neng, “as soon as it was day; after calling upon madame Wang, my superior went over to pay a visit in the mansion of Mr. Yü, and told me to wait for her here.”

“Have you received,” further asked Mrs. Chou, “the monthly allowance for incense offering due on the fifteenth or not?”

“I can’t say,” replied Chih Neng.

“Who’s now in charge of the issue of the monthly allowances to the various temples?” interposed Hsi Ch’un, addressing Mrs. Chou, as soon as she heard what was said.

“It’s Yü Hsin,” replied Chou Jui’s wife, “who’s intrusted with the charge.”

“That’s how it is,” observed Hsi Ch’un with a chuckle; “soon after the arrival of the Superior, Yü Hsin’s wife came over and kept on whispering with her for some time; so I presume it must have been about this allowance.”

Mrs. Chou then went on to bandy a few words with Chih Neng, after which she came over to lady Feng’s apartments. Proceeding by a narrow passage, she passed under Li Wan’s back windows, and went along the wall ornamented with creepers on the west. Going out of the western side gate, she entered lady Feng’s court, and walked over into the Entrance Hall, where she only found the waiting-girl Feng Erh, sitting on the doorsteps of lady Feng’s apartments.

When she caught sight of Mrs. Chou approaching, she at once waved her hand, bidding her go to the eastern room. Chou Jui’s wife understood her meaning, and hastily came on tiptoe to the chamber on the east, where she saw a nurse patting lady Feng’s daughter to sleep.

Mrs. Chou promptly asked the nurse in a low tone of voice: “Is the young lady asleep at this early hour? But if even she is I must wake her up.”

The nurse nodded her head in assent, but as these inquiries were being made, a sound of laughter came from over the other side, in which lady Feng’s voice could be detected; followed, shortly after, by the sound of a door opening, and out came P’ing Erh, with a large brass basin in her hands, which she told Feng Erh to fill with water and take inside.

P’ing Erh forthwith entered the room on this side, and upon perceiving Chou Jui’s wife: “What have you come here again for, my old lady?” she readily inquired.

Chou Jui’s wife rose without any delay, and handed her the box. “I’ve come,” said she, “to bring you a present of flowers.”

Upon hearing this, P’ing Erh opened the box, and took out four sprigs, and, turning round, walked out of the room. In a short while she came from the inner room with two sprigs in her hand, and calling first of all Ts’ai Ming, she bade her take the flowers over to the mansion on the other side and present them to “madame” Jung, after which she asked Mrs. Chou to express her thanks on her return.

Chou Jui’s wife thereupon came over to dowager lady Chia’s room on this side of the compound, and as she was going through the Entrance Hall, she casually came, face to face, with her daughter, got up in gala dress, just coming from the house of her mother-in-law.

“What are you running over here for at this time?” promptly inquired Mrs. Chou.

“Have you been well of late, mother?” asked her daughter. “I’ve been waiting for ever so long at home, but you never come out! What’s there so pressing that has prevented you from returning home? I waited till I was tired, and then went on all alone, and paid my respects to our venerable lady; I’m now, on my way to inquire about our lady Wang. What errand haven’t you delivered as yet, ma; and what is it you’re holding?”

“Ai! as luck would have it,” rejoined Chou Jui’s wife smilingly, “old goody Liu came over to-day, so that besides my own hundred and one duties, I’ve had to run about here and there ever so long, and all for her! While attending to these, Mrs. Hsueh came across me, and asked me to take these flowers to the young ladies, and I’ve been at it up to this very moment, and haven’t done yet! But coming at this time, you must surely have something or other that you want me to do for you! what’s it?”

“Really ma, you’re quick at guessing!” exclaimed her daughter with a smile; “I’ll tell you what it’s all about. The day before yesterday, your son-in-law had a glass of wine too many, and began altercating with some person or other; and some one, I don’t know why, spread some evil report, saying that his antecedents were not clear, and lodged a charge against him at the Yamen, pressing the authorities to deport him to his native place. That’s why I’ve come over to consult with you, as to whom we should appeal to, to do us this favour of helping us out of our dilemma!”

“I knew at once,” Mrs. Chou remarked after listening, “that there was something wrong; but this is nothing hard to settle! Go home and wait for me and I’ll come straightway, as soon as I’ve taken these flowers to Miss Lin; our madame Wang and lady Secunda have both no leisure (to attend to you now,) so go back and wait for me! What’s the use of so much hurry!”

Her daughter, upon hearing this, forthwith turned round to go back, when she added as she walked away, “Mind, mother, and make haste.”

“All right,” replied Chou Jui’s wife, “of course I will; you are young yet, and without experience, and that’s why you are in this flurry.”

As she spoke, she betook herself into Tai-yü‘s apartments. Contrary to her expectation Tai-yü was not at this time in her own room, but in Pao-yü‘s; where they were amusing themselves in trying to solve the “nine strung rings” puzzle. On entering Mrs. Chou put on a smile. “‘Aunt’ Hsüeh,” she explained, “has told me to bring these flowers and present them to you to wear in your hair.”

“What flowers?” exclaimed Pao-yü. “Bring them here and let me see them.”

As he uttered these words, he readily stretched out his hands and took them over, and upon opening the box and looking in, he discovered, in fact, two twigs of a novel and artistic kind of artificial flowers, of piled gauze, made in the palace.
只看该作者 24 发表于: 2009-03-14
Tai-yü merely cast a glance at them, as Pao-yü held them. “Have these flowers,” she inquired eagerly, “been sent to me alone, or have all the other girls got some too?”

“Each one of the young ladies has the same,” replied Mrs. Chou; “and these two twigs are intended for you, miss.”

Tai-yü forced a smile. “Oh! I see,” she observed. “If all the others hadn’t chosen, even these which remain over wouldn’t have been given to me.”

Chou Jui’s wife did not utter a word in reply.

“Sister Chou, what took you over on the other side?” asked Pao-yü.

“I was told that our madame Wang was over there,” explained Mrs. Chou, “and as I went to give her a message, ‘aunt’ Hsüeh seized the opportunity to ask me to bring over these flowers.”

“What was cousin Pao Ch’ai doing at home?” asked Pao-yü. “How is it she’s not even been over for these few days?”

“She’s not quite well,” remarked Mrs. Chou.

When Pao-yü heard this news, “Who’ll go,” he speedily ascertained of the waiting-maids, “and inquire after her? Tell her that cousin Lin and I have sent round to ask how our aunt and cousin are getting on! ask her what she’s ailing from and what medicines she’s taking, and explain to her that I know I ought to have gone over myself, but that on my coming back from school a short while back, I again got a slight chill; and that I’ll go in person another day.”

While Pao-yü was yet speaking, Hsi Hsüeh volunteered to take the message, and went off at once; and Mrs. Chou herself took her leave without another word.

Mrs. Chou’s son-in-law was, in fact, Leng Tzu-hsing, the intimate friend of Yü-ts’un. Having recently become involved with some party in a lawsuit, on account of the sale of some curios, he had expressly charged his wife to come and sue for the favour (of a helping hand). Chou Jui’s wife, relying upon her master’s prestige, did not so much as take the affair to heart; and having waited till evening, she simply went over and requested lady Feng to befriend her, and the matter was forthwith ended.

When the lamps were lit, lady Feng came over, after having disrobed herself, to see madame Wang. “I’ve already taken charge,” she observed, “of the things sent round to-day by the Chen family. As for the presents from us to them, we should avail ourselves of the return of the boats, by which the fresh delicacies for the new year were forwarded, to hand them to them to carry back.”

Madame Wang nodded her head in token of approval.

“The birthday presents,” continued lady Feng, “for lady Ling Ngan, the mother of the Earl of Ling Ngan, have already been got together, and whom will you depute to take them over?”

“See,” suggested madame Wang, “who has nothing to do; let four maids go and all will be right! why come again and ask me?”

“Our eldest sister-in-law Chen,” proceeded lady Feng, “came over to invite me to go to-morrow to their place for a little change. I don’t think there will be anything for me to do to-morrow.”

“Whether there be or not,” replied madame Wang, “it doesn’t matter; you must go, for whenever she comes with an invitation, it includes us, who are your seniors, so that, of course, it isn’t such a pleasant thing for you; but as she doesn’t ask us this time, but only asks you, it’s evident that she’s anxious that you should have a little distraction, and you mustn’t disappoint her good intention. Besides it’s certainly right that you should go over for a change.”

Lady Feng assented, and presently Li Wan, Ying Ch’un and the other cousins, likewise paid each her evening salutation and retired to their respective rooms, where nothing of any notice transpired.

The next day lady Feng completed her toilette, and came over first to tell madame Wang that she was off, and then went to say good-bye to dowager lady Chia; but when Pao-yü heard where she was going, he also wished to go; and as lady Feng had no help but to give in, and to wait until he had changed his clothes, the sister and brother-in-law got into a carriage, and in a short while entered the Ning mansion.

Mrs. Yu, the wife of Chia Chen, and Mrs. Ch’in, the wife of Mr. Chia Jung, the two sisters-in-law, had, along with a number of maids, waiting-girls, and other servants, come as far as the ceremonial gate to receive them, and Mrs. Yu, upon meeting lady Feng, for a while indulged, as was her wont, in humorous remarks, after which, leading Pao-yü by the hand, they entered the drawing room and took their seats, Mrs. Ch’in handed tea round.

“What have you people invited me to come here for?” promptly asked lady Feng; “if you have anything to present me with, hand it to me at once, for I’ve other things to attend to.”

Mrs. Yu and Mrs. Ch’in had barely any time to exchange any further remarks, when several matrons interposed, smilingly: “Had our lady not come to-day, there would have been no help for it, but having come, you can’t have it all your own way.”

While they were conversing about one thing and another, they caught sight of Chia Jung come in to pay his respects, which prompted Pao-yü to inquire, “Isn’t my elder brother at home to-day?”

“He’s gone out of town to-day,” replied Mrs. Yu, “to inquire after his grandfather. You’ll find sitting here,” she continued, “very dull, and why not go out and have a stroll?”

“A strange coincidence has taken place to-day,” urged Mrs. Ch’in, with a smile; “some time back you, uncle Pao, expressed a wish to see my brother, and to-day he too happens to be here at home. I think he’s in the library; but why not go and see for yourself, uncle Pao?”

Pao-yü descended at once from the stove-couch, and was about to go, when Mrs. Yu bade the servants to mind and go with him. “Don’t you let him get into trouble,” she enjoined. “It’s a far different thing when he comes over under the charge of his grandmother, when he’s all right.”

“If that be so,” remarked lady Feng, “why not ask the young gentleman to come in, and then I too can see him. There isn’t, I hope, any objection to my seeing him?”

“Never mind! never mind!” observed Mrs. Yu, smilingly; “it’s as well that you shouldn’t see him. This brother of mine is not, like the boys of our Chia family, accustomed to roughly banging and knocking about. Other people’s children are brought up politely and properly, and not in this vixenish style of yours. Why, you’d ridicule him to death!”

“I won’t laugh at him then, that’s all,” smiled lady Feng; “tell them to bring him in at once.”

“He’s shy,” proceeded Mrs. Ch’in, “and has seen nothing much of the world, so that you are sure to be put out when you see him, sister.”

“What an idea!” exclaimed lady Feng. “Were he even No Cha himself, I’d like to see him; so don’t talk trash; if, after all, you don’t bring him round at once, I’ll give you a good slap on the mouth.”

“I daren’t be obstinate,” answered Mrs. Ch’in smiling; “I’ll bring him round!”

In a short while she did in fact lead in a young lad, who, compared with Pao-yü, was somewhat more slight but, from all appearances, superior to Pao-yü in eyes and eyebrows, (good looks), which were so clear and well-defined, in white complexion and in ruddy lips, as well as graceful appearance and pleasing manners. He was however bashful and timid, like a girl.

In a shy and demure way, he made a bow to lady Feng and asked after her health.

Lady Feng was simply delighted with him. “You take a low seat next to him!” she ventured laughingly as she first pushed Pao-yü back. Then readily stooping forward, she took this lad by the hand and asked him to take a seat next to her. Presently she inquired about his age, his studies and such matters, when she found that at school he went under the name of Ch’in Chung.

The matrons and maids in attendance on lady Feng, perceiving that this was the first time their mistress met Ch’in Chung, (and knowing) that she had not at hand the usual presents, forthwith ran over to the other side and told P’ing Erh about it.

P’ing Erh, aware of the close intimacy that existed between lady Feng and Mrs. Ch’in, speedily took upon herself to decide, and selecting a piece of silk, and two small gold medals, (bearing the wish that he should attain) the highest degree, the senior wranglership, she handed them to the servants who had come over, to take away.

Lady Feng, however, explained that her presents were too mean by far, but Mrs. Ch’in and the others expressed their appreciation of them; and in a short time the repast was over, and Mrs. Yu, lady Feng and Mrs. Ch’in played at dominoes, but of this no details need be given; while both Pao-yü and Ch’in Chung sat down, got up and talked, as they pleased.

Since he had first glanced at Ch’in Chung, and seen what kind of person he was, he felt at heart as if he had lost something, and after being plunged in a dazed state for a time, he began again to give way to foolish thoughts in his mind.

“There are then such beings as he in the world!” he reflected. “I now see there are! I’m however no better than a wallowing pig or a mangy cow! Despicable destiny! why was I ever born in this household of a marquis and in the mansion of a duke? Had I seen the light in the home of some penniless scholar, or poverty-stricken official, I could long ago have enjoyed the communion of his friendship, and I would not have lived my whole existence in vain! Though more honourable than he, it is indeed evident that silk and satins only serve to swathe this rotten trunk of mine, and choice wines and rich meats only to gorge the filthy drain and miry sewer of this body of mine! Wealth! and splendour! ye are no more than contaminated with pollution by me!”

Ever since Ch’in Chung had noticed Pao-yü‘s unusual appearance, his sedate deportment, and what is more, his hat ornamented with gold, and his dress full of embroidery, attended by beautiful maids and handsome youths, he did not indeed think it a matter of surprise that every one was fond of him.

“Born as I have had the misfortune to be,” he went on to commune within himself, “in an honest, though poor family, how can I presume to enjoy his companionship! This is verily a proof of what a barrier poverty and wealth set between man and man. What a serious misfortune is this too in this mortal world!”

In wild and inane ideas of the same strain, indulged these two youths!

Pao-yü by and by further asked of him what books he was reading, and Ch’in Chung, in answer to these inquiries, told him the truth. A few more questions and answers followed; and after about ten remarks, a greater intimacy sprang up between them.

Tea and fruits were shortly served, and while they were having their tea, Pao-yü suggested, “We two don’t take any wine, and why shouldn’t we have our fruit served on the small couch inside, and go and sit there, and thus save you all the trouble?”

The two of them thereupon came into the inner apartment to have their tea; and Mrs. Ch’in attended to the laying out of fruit and wines for lady Feng, and hurriedly entered the room and hinted to Pao-yü: “Dear uncle Pao, your nephew is young, and should he happen to say anything disrespectful, do please overlook it, for my sake, for though shy, he’s naturally of a perverse and wilful disposition, and is rather given to having his own way.”

“Off with you!” cried Pao-yü laughing; “I know it all.” Mrs. Ch’in then went on to give a bit of advice to her brother, and at length came to keep lady Feng company. Presently lady Feng and Mrs. Yu sent another servant to tell Pao-yü that there was outside of everything they might wish to eat and that they should mind and go and ask for it; and Pao-yü simply signified that they would; but his mind was not set upon drinking or eating; all he did was to keep making inquiries of Ch’in Chung about recent family concerns.

Ch’in Chung went on to explain that his tutor had last year relinquished his post, that his father was advanced in years and afflicted with disease, and had multifarious public duties to preoccupy his mind, so that he had as yet had no time to make arrangements for another tutor, and that all he did was no more than to keep up his old tasks; that as regards study, it was likewise necessary to have the company of one or two intimate friends, as then only, by dint of a frequent exchange of ideas and opinions, one could arrive at progress; and Pao-yü gave him no time to complete, but eagerly urged, “Quite so! But in our household, we have a family school, and those of our kindred who have no means sufficient to engage the services of a tutor are at liberty to come over for the sake of study, and the sons and brothers of our relatives are likewise free to join the class. As my own tutor went home last year, I am now also wasting my time doing nothing; my father’s intention was that I too should have gone over to this school, so that I might at least temporarily keep up what I have already read, pending the arrival of my tutor next year, when I could again very well resume my studies alone at home. But my grandmother raised objections; maintaining first of all, that the boys who attend the family classes being so numerous, she feared we would be sure to be up to mischief, which wouldn’t be at all proper; and that, in the second place, as I had been ill for some time, the matter should be dropped, for the present. But as, from what you say, your worthy father is very much exercised on this score, you should, on your return, tell him all about it, and come over to our school. I’ll also be there as your schoolmate; and as you and I will reap mutual benefit from each other’s companionship, won’t it be nice!”

“When my father was at home the other day,” Ch’in Chung smiled and said, “he alluded to the question of a tutor, and explained that the free schools were an excellent institution. He even meant to have come and talked matters over with his son-in-law’s father about my introduction, but with the urgent concerns here, he didn’t think it right for him to come about this small thing, and make any trouble. But if you really believe that I might be of use to you, in either grinding the ink, or washing the slab, why shouldn’t you at once make the needful arrangements, so that neither you nor I may idle our time? And as we shall be able to come together often and talk matters over, and set at the same time our parents’ minds at ease, and to enjoy the pleasure of friendship, won’t it be a profitable thing!”

“Compose your mind!” suggested Pao-yü. “We can by and by first of all, tell your brother-in-law, and your sister as well as sister-in-law Secunda Lien; and on your return home to-day, lose no time in explaining all to your worthy father, and when I get back, I’ll speak to my grandmother; and I can’t see why our wishes shouldn’t speedily be accomplished.”

By the time they had arrived at this conclusion, the day was far advanced, and the lights were about to be lit; and they came out and watched them once more for a time as they played at dominoes. When they came to settle their accounts Mrs. Ch’in and Mrs. Yu were again the losers and had to bear the expense of a theatrical and dinner party; and while deciding that they should enjoy this treat the day after the morrow, they also had the evening repast.

Darkness having set in, Mrs. Yu gave orders that two youths should accompany Mr. Ch’in home. The matrons went out to deliver the directions, and after a somewhat long interval, Ch’in Chung said goodbye and was about to start on his way.

“Whom have you told off to escort him?” asked Mrs. Yu.

“Chiao Ta,” replied the matrons, “has been told to go, but it happens that he’s under the effects of drink and making free use again of abusive language.”

Mrs. Yu and Mrs. Chin remonstrated. “What’s the use,” they said, “of asking him? that mean fellow shouldn’t be chosen, but you will go again and provoke him.”

“People always maintain,” added lady Feng, “that you are far too lenient. But fancy allowing servants in this household to go on in this way; why, what will be the end of it?”

“You don’t mean to tell me,” observed Mrs. Yu, “that you don’t know this Chiao Ta? Why, even the gentlemen one and all pay no heed to his doings! your eldest brother, Chia Cheng, he too doesn’t notice him. It’s all because when he was young he followed our ancestor in three or four wars, and because on one occasion, by extracting our senior from the heap of slain and carrying him on his back, he saved his life. He himself suffered hunger and stole food for his master to eat; they had no water for two days; and when he did get half a bowl, he gave it to his master, while he himself had sewage water. He now simply presumes upon the sentimental obligations imposed by these services. When the seniors of the family still lived, they all looked upon him with exceptional regard; but who at present ventures to interfere with him? He is also advanced in years, and doesn’t care about any decent manners; his sole delight is wine; and when he gets drunk, there isn’t a single person whom he won’t abuse. I’ve again and again told the stewards not to henceforward ask Chiao Ta to do any work whatever, but to treat him as dead and gone; and here he’s sent again to-day.”

“How can I not know all about this Chiao Ta?” remarked lady Feng; “but the secret of all this trouble is, that you won’t take any decisive step. Why not pack him off to some distant farm, and have done with him?” And as she spoke, “Is our carriage ready?” she went on to inquire.

“All ready and waiting,” interposed the married women.

Lady Feng also got up, said good-bye, and hand in hand with Pao-yü, they walked out of the room, escorted by Mrs. Yu and the party, as far as the entrance of the Main Hall, where they saw the lamps shedding a brilliant light and the attendants all waiting on the platforms. Chiao Ta, however, availing himself of Chia Chen’s absence from home, and elated by wine, began to abuse the head steward Lai Erh for his injustice.

“You bully of the weak and coward with the strong,” he cried, “when there’s any pleasant charge, you send the other servants, but when it’s a question of seeing any one home in the dark, then you ask me, you disorderly clown! a nice way you act the steward, indeed! Do you forget that if Mr. Chiao Ta chose to raise one leg, it would be a good deal higher than your head! Remember please, that twenty years ago, Mr. Chiao Ta wouldn’t even so much as look at any one, no matter who it was; not to mention a pack of hybrid creatures like yourselves!”

While he went on cursing and railing with all his might, Chia Jung appeared walking by lady Feng’s carriage. All the servants having tried to hush him and not succeeding, Chia Jung became exasperated; and forthwith blew him up for a time. “Let some one bind him up,” he cried, “and tomorrow, when he’s over the wine, I’ll call him to task, and we’ll see if he won’t seek death.”

Chiao Ta showed no consideration for Chia Jung. On the contrary, he shouted with more vigour. Going up to Chia Jung: “Brother Jung,” he said, “don’t put on the airs of a master with Chiao Ta. Not to speak of a man such as you, why even your father and grandfather wouldn’t presume to display such side with Chiao Ta. Were it not for Chiao Ta, and him alone, where would your office, honours, riches and dignity be? Your ancestor, whom I brought back from the jaws of death, heaped up all this estate, but up to this very day have I received no thanks for the services I rendered! on the contrary, you come here and play the master; don’t say a word more, and things may come right; but if you do, I’ll plunge the blade of a knife white in you and extract it red.”

Lady Feng, from inside the carriage, remarked to Chia Jung: “Don’t you yet pack off this insolent fellow! Why, if you keep him in your house, won’t he be a source of mischief? Besides, were relatives and friends to hear about these things, won’t they have a laugh at our expense, that a household like ours should be so devoid of all propriety?”

Chia Jung assented. The whole band of servants finding that Chiao Ta was getting too insolent had no help but to come up and throw him over, and binding him up, they dragged him towards the stables. Chiao Ta abused even Chia Chen with still more vehemence, and shouted in a boisterous manner. “I want to go,” he cried, “to the family Ancestral Temple and mourn my old master. Who would have ever imagined that he would leave behind such vile creatures of descendants as you all, day after day indulging in obscene and incestuous practices, ‘in scraping of the ashes’ and in philandering with brothers-in-law. I know all about your doings; the best thing is to hide one’s stump of an arm in one’s sleeve!” (wash one’s dirty clothes at home).

The servants who stood by, upon hearing this wild talk, were quite at their wits’ end, and they at once seized him, tied him up, and filled his mouth to the fullest extent with mud mixed with some horse refuse.

Lady Feng and Chia Jung heard all he said from a distance, but pretended not to hear; but Pao-yü, seated in the carriage as he was, also caught this extravagant talk and inquired of lady Feng: “Sister, did you hear him say something about ‘scraping of the ashes?’ What’s it?”

“Don’t talk such rubbish!” hastily shouted lady Feng; “it was the maudlin talk of a drunkard! A nice boy you are! not to speak of your listening, but you must also inquire! wait and I’ll tell your mother and we’ll see if she doesn’t seriously take you to task.”

Pao-yü was in such a state of fright that he speedily entreated her to forgive him. “My dear sister,” he craved, “I won’t venture again to say anything of the kind”

“My dear brother, if that be so, it’s all right!” rejoined lady Feng reassuringly; “on our return we’ll speak to her venerable ladyship and ask her to send some one to arrange matters in the family school, and invite Ch’in Chung to come to school for his studies.”

While yet this conversation was going on, they arrived at the Jung Mansion.

Reader, do you wish to know what follows? if you do, the next chapter will unfold it.
只看该作者 25 发表于: 2009-03-14
第 八 回

比通灵金莺微露意 探宝钗黛玉半含酸

话说宝玉和凤姐回家,见过众人。宝玉先便回明贾母秦钟要上家塾之事,自己也有了个伴读的朋友,正好发奋;又著实的称赞秦钟的人品行事,最使人怜爱。凤姐又在一旁帮著说“过日他还来拜见老祖宗”等语,说的贾母喜欢起来。凤姐又趁势请贾母後日过去看戏。贾母虽年老,却极有兴头。至後日,又有尤氏来请,遂携了王夫人林黛玉宝玉等过去看戏。至晌午,贾母便回来歇息了。王夫人本是好清净的,见贾母回来也就回来了。然後凤姐坐了首席,尽欢至晚无话。

却说宝玉因送贾母回来,待贾母歇息了中觉,意欲还去看戏取乐,又恐扰的秦氏等人不便,因想起近日薛宝钗在家养病,未去亲候,意欲去望他一望。若从上房後角门过去,又恐遇见别事缠绕,再或可巧遇见他父亲,更为不妥,宁可绕远路罢了。当下众嬷嬷丫鬟伺候他换衣服,见他不换,仍出二门去了,众嬷嬷丫鬟只得跟随出去,还只当他去那府中看戏。谁知到穿堂,便向东向北边绕厅後而去。偏顶头遇见了门下清客相公詹光单聘仁二人走来,一见了宝玉,便都笑着赶上来,一个抱住腰,一个携着手,都道:“我的菩萨哥儿,我说作了好梦呢,好容易得遇见了你。”说著,请了安,又问好,劳叨半日,方才走开。老嬷嬷叫住,因问:“二位爷是从老爷跟前来的不是?”二人点头道:“老爷在梦坡斋小书房里歇中觉呢,不妨事的。”一面说,一面走了。说的宝玉也笑了。于是转弯向北奔梨香院来。可巧银库房的总领名唤吴新登与仓上的头目戴良,还有几个管事的头目,共有七个人,从账房里出来,一见宝玉,赶来都一齐垂手站立。独有一个买办,名唤钱华,他因多日未见宝玉,忙上来打千儿请安,宝玉忙含笑携他起来。众人都笑说:“前儿在一处看见二爷写的斗方儿,字法越发好了,多早晚赏我们几张贴贴。”宝玉笑道:“在那里看见了?”众人道:“好几处都有,都称赞的了不得,还和我们寻呢。”宝玉笑道:“不值什麽,你们说与我的小幺儿们就是了。”一面说,一面前走,众人待他过去,方都各自散了。

闲言少述,且说宝玉来至梨香院中,先入薛姨妈室中来,正见薛姨妈打点针黹与丫鬟们呢。宝玉忙请了安,薛姨妈忙一把拉了他,抱入怀内,笑说:“这麽冷天,我的儿,难为你想着来,快上炕来坐着罢。”命人倒滚滚的茶来。宝玉因问:“哥哥不在家?”薛姨妈叹道:“他是没笼头的马,天天忙不了,那里肯在家一日?”宝玉道:“姐姐可大安了?”薛姨妈道:“可是呢,你前儿又想着打发人来瞧他。他在里间不是,你去瞧他,里间比这里暖和,那里坐著,我收拾收拾就进去和你说话儿。”宝玉听说,忙下了炕来至里间门前,只见吊著半旧的红(左为纟,右为由)软帘。宝玉掀帘一迈步进去,先就看见宝钗坐在炕上作针线,头上挽著漆黑油光的纂儿,蜜合色棉袄,玫瑰紫二色金银鼠比肩褂,葱黄绫棉裙,一色半新不旧,看去不觉奢华。唇不点而红,眉不画而翠,脸若银盆,眼如水杏。罕言寡语,人谓藏愚;安分随时,自云守拙。宝玉一面看,一面问:“姐姐可大愈了?”宝钗抬头只见宝玉进来,连忙起身含笑答说:“已经大好了,倒多谢记挂着。”说著,让他在炕沿上坐了,即命莺儿斟茶来。一面又问老太太姨娘安,别的姊妹们都好。一面看宝玉头上戴着缧丝嵌宝紫金冠,额上勒着二龙抢珠金抹额,身上穿着秋香色立白狐腋箭袖,系著五色蝴蝶鸾绦,项上挂著长命锁、记名符,另外有那一块落草时衔下来的宝玉。宝钗因笑说道:“成日家说你的这玉,究竟未曾细细的赏鉴,我今儿倒要瞧瞧。”说著便挪近前来。宝玉亦凑了上去,从项上摘了下来,递在宝钗手内。宝钗托于掌上,只见大如雀卵,灿若明霞,莹润如酥,五色花纹缠护。这就是大荒山中青埂峰下的那块补石的幻相,後人曾有诗嘲云:

女娲炼石已荒唐,又向荒唐演大荒。

失去幽灵真境界,幻来亲就臭皮囊。

好知运败金无彩,堪叹时乖玉不光。

白骨如山忘姓氏,无非公子与红妆。

那顽石亦曾记下他这幻相并癞僧所镌的篆文,今亦按图画于後。但其真体最小,方能从胎中小儿口内衔下。今若按其体画,恐字迹过於微细,使观者大废眼光,亦非畅事。故今只按其形式,无非略展些规矩,使观者便于灯下醉中可阅。今注明此故,方无胎中之儿口有多大,怎得衔此狼(左为犭,右为亢)蠢大之物等语之谤。

通灵宝玉正面图式
通灵宝玉反面图式

宝钗看毕,又重新翻过正面来细看,口内念道:“莫失莫忘,仙寿恒昌。”念了两遍,乃回头向莺儿笑道:“你不去倒茶,也在这里发呆作什麽?”莺儿嘻嘻笑道:“我听这两句话,倒像和姑娘的项圈上的两句话是一对儿。”宝玉听了,忙笑道:“原来姐姐那项圈上也有八个字?我也赏鉴赏鉴。”宝钗道:“你别听他的话,没有什么字。”宝玉笑央:“好姐姐,你怎么瞧我的了呢。”宝钗被缠不过,因说道:“也是人给了两句吉利话儿,所以錾上了,叫天天带著;不然,沉甸甸的有什到趣儿。”一面说,一面解了排扣,从里面大红袄上将那珠宝晶莹黄金灿烂的璎珞掏将出来。宝玉忙托了锁看时,果然一面有四个篆字,两面八个,共成两句吉谶,亦曾按式画下形相:

宝玉看了,也念了两遍,又将自己的念了两遍,因笑问:“姐姐这八个字倒真与我的是一对。”莺儿笑道:“是个癞头和尚送的,他说必须錾在金器上--”宝钗不待他说完,便嗔他不去倒茶,一面又问宝玉从那来。

宝玉此时与宝钗就近,人闻一阵阵凉森森甜丝丝的幽香,竟不知从何处来的,遂问:“宝钗姐姐薰的是什麽香?我今竟从未闻见过这味儿。”宝钗笑道:“我最怕薰香!好好儿的衣服,薰的烟燎火气的。”宝玉道:“既如此,这是什麽香?”宝钗想了一想,笑道:“是了,是我早起吃了丸药的香气。”宝玉笑道:“什么丸药这麽好闻?好姐姐,给我一丸尝尝。”宝钗笑道:“又混闹了。一个药也是混吃的?”

一语未了,忽听外面人说:“林姑娘来了。”话犹未完,黛玉已摇摇的走了进来,一见了宝玉,便笑道:“嗳哟,我来的不巧了!”宝玉等忙起身笑让坐,宝钗因笑道:“这话怎么说?”黛玉笑道:“早知他来,我就不来了。”宝钗道:“我更不解这意。”黛玉笑道:“要来一群都来;要不来一个也不来;今儿他来了,明儿我再来,如此间错开了来着,岂不天天有人来了?也不至于太冷落,也不至于太热闹了。姐姐如何反不解这意思?”

宝玉因见他外面罩著大红羽缎对衿褂子,因问:“下雪了么?”地下婆娘们道:“下了这半日雪珠儿了。”宝玉道:“取了我的斗篷来不曾?”黛玉便道:“是不是,我来了他就该去了。”宝玉笑道:“我多早晚说要去了?不过拿来预备着。”宝玉的奶母李嬷嬷因说道:“天又下雪,也好早晚的了,就在这里同姐姐妹妹一处顽顽罢。姨妈那里摆茶果子呢。我叫丫头们去取了斗篷来,说给小幺儿们散了罢。”宝玉应允。李嬷嬷出去,命小厮们都各散去不提。

这里薛姨妈已摆了几样细茶果来留他们吃茶。宝玉因夸前日在那府里珍大嫂子的好鹅掌鸭信。薛姨妈听了,忙也把自己糟的取了些来与他尝。宝玉笑道:“这个须得就酒才好。”薛姨妈便令人去灌了最上等的酒来。李嬷嬷便上来道:“姨太太,酒倒罢了。”宝玉央道:“妈妈,我只喝一盅。”李嬷嬷道:“不中用!当着老太太、太太,那怕你吃一坛呢。想那日我眼错不见一会,不知是那一个没调教的,只图讨你的好儿,不管别人的死活,给了你一口酒吃,葬送的我挨了两日骂。姨太太不知道,他的性子又可恶,吃了酒更弄性。有一天老太太高兴了,又尽着他吃,什么日子又不许他吃,何苦我白赔在里面。”薛姨妈笑道:“老货!你只放心吃你的去。我也不许他吃多了。便是老太太问,有我呢。”一面令小丫环:“来,让你奶奶们去,也吃杯搪搪雪气。”那李妈妈听如此说,只得和众人去吃些酒水。这里宝玉又说:“不必温暖了,我只爱吃冷的。”薛姨妈忙道:“这可使不得,吃了冷酒,写字手打颤儿。”宝钗笑道:“宝兄弟,亏你每日家杂学旁收的,难道就不知道酒性最热,若热吃下去,发散的就快;若冷吃下去,便凝结在内,以五脏去暖他,岂不受害?从此还不快不要吃那冷的了。”宝玉听这话有情理,便放下冷酒,命人暖来方饮。

黛玉磕著瓜子儿,只抿著嘴笑。可巧黛玉的丫鬟雪雁走来与黛玉送小手炉,黛玉因含笑问他:“谁叫你送来的?难为他费心,那里就冷死了我!”雪雁道:“紫鹃姐姐怕姑娘冷,使我送来的。”黛玉一面接了,抱在怀中,笑道:“也亏你倒听他的话。我平日和你说的,全当耳旁风;怎么他说了你就依,比圣旨还快些!”宝玉听这话,知是黛玉借此奚落他,也无回复之词,只嘻嘻的笑两阵罢了。宝钗素知黛玉是如此惯了的,也不去睬他。薛姨妈因道:“你素日身子弱,禁不得冷的,他们记挂着你倒不好?”黛玉笑道:“姨妈不知道。幸亏是姨妈这里,倘或在别人家,人家岂不恼?好说就看的人家连个手炉也没有,巴巴的从家里送个来。不说丫鬟们太小心过余,还只当我素日是这等轻狂惯了呢。”薛姨妈道:“你这个多心的,有这样想,我就没有这样心。”

说话时,宝玉已是三杯过去。李嬷嬷又上来拦阻。宝玉正在个心甜意洽之时,和宝黛姊妹说说笑笑的,那肯不吃。宝玉只得屈意央告:“好妈妈,我再吃两钟就不吃了。”李嬷嬷道:“你可仔细老爷今儿在家,提防问你的书!”宝玉听了这话,便心中大不自在,慢慢的放了酒,垂了头。黛玉先忙的说:“别扫大家的兴!舅舅若叫你,只管说姨妈留著呢。这个妈妈,他吃了酒,又拿我们来醒脾了!”一面悄推宝玉,使他赌气;一面悄悄的咕哝说:“别理那老货!咱们只管乐咱们的!”那李嬷嬷不知黛玉的意思,因说道:“林姐儿,你不要助着他了。你倒劝劝他,只怕他还听些。”林黛玉冷笑道:“我为什么助他?我也不犯着他。你这妈妈太小心了,往常老太太又给他酒吃,如今在姨妈这里多吃一口,料也不妨事。必定姨妈这里是外人,不当在这里的也未可定。”李嬷嬷听了,又是急,又是笑,说道:“真真这林姐儿,说出一句话来,比刀子还尖。你这算了什么。”宝钗也忍不住笑着,把黛玉腮上一拧,说道:“真真这个颦丫头的一张嘴,叫人恨又不是,喜欢又不是。”薛姨妈一面又说:“别怕,别怕,我的儿!来这里没好的你吃,别把这点子东西唬的存在心里,倒叫我不安。只管放心吃,都有我呢。越发吃了晚饭去,便醉了,就跟着我睡罢。”因命:“再烫热酒来!姨妈陪你吃两杯,可就吃饭罢。”宝玉听了,方又鼓起兴来。

李嬷嬷因吩咐小丫头子们:“你们在这里小心着,我家里换了衣服就来,悄悄的回姨太太,别由着他,多给他吃。”说着便家去了。这里虽还有三两个婆子,都是不关痛痒的,见李嬷嬷走了,也都悄悄各自寻方便去了。只剩了两个小丫头子,乐得讨宝玉的欢喜。幸而薛姨妈千哄万哄的,只容他吃了几杯,就忙收过了。作酸笋鸡皮汤,宝玉痛喝了两碗,吃了半碗碧粳粥。一时薛林二人也吃完了饭,又酽酽的沏上茶来大家吃了。薛姨妈方放了心。雪雁等三四个丫头已吃了饭,进来伺候。黛玉因向宝玉道:“你走不走?”宝玉乜斜倦眼道:“你要走,我和你一同走。”黛玉听说,遂起身道:“咱们来了这一日,也该回去了。还不知那边怎么找咱们呢。”说著,二人便告辞。

小丫头们忙捧过斗笠来,宝玉便把头略低一低,命他戴上。那丫头便将这大红猩毡斗笠一抖,才往宝玉头上一合,宝玉便说:“罢,罢!好蠢东西,你也轻些儿!难道没见过别人戴过的?让我自己戴罢。”黛玉站在炕沿上道:“罗唆什么,过来,我瞧瞧罢。”宝玉忙就近前来。黛玉用手整理,轻轻笼住束发冠,将笠沿掖在抹额之上,那一颗核桃大的绛绒簪缨扶起,颤巍巍露於笠外。整理已毕,端相了端相,说道:“好了,披上斗篷罢。”宝玉听了,方接了斗篷披上。薛姨妈忙道:“跟你们的妈妈都还没来呢,且略等等不迟。”宝玉道:“我们倒去等他们,有丫头们跟着也够了。”薛姨妈不放心,到底命两个妇女跟随他兄妹方罢。他二人道了扰,一径回至贾母房中。

贾母尚未用晚饭,知是薛姨妈处来,更加欢喜。因见宝玉吃了酒,遂命他自回房去歇著,不许再出来了。因命人好生看侍着。忽想起跟宝玉的人来,遂问众人:“李奶子怎么不见?”众人不敢直说家去了,只说:“才进来的,想是有事才去了。”宝玉踉跄回头道:“他比老太太还受用呢,问他作什么!没有他只怕我还多活两日。”一面说,一面来至自己的卧室。只见笔墨在案,晴雯先接出来,笑说道:“好,好,要我研了那些墨,早起高兴,只写了三个字,丢下笔就走了,哄我们等了一日。快来给我写完这些墨才罢!”宝玉忽然想起早起的事来,因笑道:“我写的那三个字在那里呢?”晴雯笑道:“这个人可醉了。你头里过那府里去,嘱咐我贴在这门斗上,这会子又这么问,我生怕别人贴坏了,我亲自爬高上梯的贴上,这会子还冻的手僵冷的呢。”宝玉听了,笑道:“我忘了。你的手冷,我替你渥著。”说着便伸手携了晴雯的手,同仰首看门斗上新书的三个字。

一时黛玉来了,宝玉笑道:“好妹妹,你别撒谎,你看这三个字那一个好?”黛玉仰头看里间门斗上,新贴了三个字,写着“绛芸轩”。黛玉笑道:“个个都好。怎么写的这们好了?明儿也与我写一个匾。”宝玉嘻嘻的笑道:“又哄我呢。”说着又问:“袭人姐姐呢?”晴雯向里间炕上努嘴。宝玉一看,只见袭人和衣睡着在那里。宝玉笑道:“好,太渥早了些。”因又问晴雯道:“今儿我在那府里吃早饭,有一碟子豆腐皮的包子,我想着你爱吃,和珍大奶奶说了,只说我留着晚上吃,叫人送过来的,你可吃了?”晴雯道:“快别提。一送了来我就知道是我的,偏我才吃了饭,就放在那里。後来李奶奶来了看见,说:‘宝玉未必吃了,拿来给我孙子吃去罢。’他就叫人拿了家去了。”接着茜雪捧上茶来。宝玉因让:“林妹妹吃茶。”众人笑说:“林妹妹早走了,还让呢。”

宝玉吃了半碗茶,忽又想起早起的茶来,因问茜雪道:“早起沏了一碗枫露茶,我说过,那茶是三四次後才出色的,这会子怎么又沏了这个来?”茜雪道:“我原是留著的,那会子李奶奶来了,他要尝尝,就给他吃了。”宝玉听了,将手中茶杯只顺手往地下一掷,豁啷一声,打了个粉碎,泼了茜雪一裙子的茶。又跳起来问着茜雪道:“他是你那一门子的奶奶,你们这麽孝敬他?不过仗着我小时候吃过他几日奶罢了。如今逞的他比祖宗还大了。如今我又吃不着奶了,白白养着祖宗作什么呢!撵了出去,大家干净!”说着便要去立刻回贾母,撵他乳母。

原来袭人实未睡著,不过故意装睡,引宝玉来怄他玩耍。先闻得说字问包子等事,也还可不必起来;後来摔了茶钟,动了气,遂连忙起来解释劝阻。早有贾母遣人来问是怎麽了。袭人忙道:“我才倒茶来,被雪滑倒了,失手砸了钟子。”一面又安慰宝玉道:“你立意要撵他也好,我们也都愿意出去,不如趁势连我们一齐撵了,我们也好,你也不愁再有好的来服侍你。”宝玉听了,方无了言语,被袭人等便扶至炕上,脱换了衣服。不知宝玉口内还说些什么,只觉口齿绵缠,眼眉愈加饧涩,忙服侍他睡下。袭人伸手从他项上摘下那通灵玉来,用自己的手帕包好,塞在褥下,次日带时,便冰不着脖子。那宝玉就枕便睡着了。彼时李嬷嬷等已进来了,听见醉了,不敢前来再加触犯,只悄悄的打听睡了,方放心散去。

次日醒来,就有人回:“那边小蓉大爷带了秦相公来拜。”宝玉忙接了出去,领了拜见贾母。贾母见秦钟形容标致,举止温柔,堪陪宝玉读书,心中十分欢喜,便留茶留饭,又命人带去见王夫人等。众人因素爱秦氏,今见了秦钟是这般人品,也都欢喜,临去时,都有表礼。贾母又与了一个荷包并一个金魁星,取“文星和合”之意。又嘱咐他道:“你家住的远,或一时寒热饥饱不便,只管住在这里,不必限定了。只和你宝叔在一处,别跟着那些不长进的东西们学。”秦钟一一的答应,回去禀知。

他父亲秦业现任营缮郎,年近七旬,夫人早亡。因当年无儿女,便向养生堂抱了一个儿子并一个女儿。谁知儿子又死了,只剩女儿,小名唤可儿,长大时,生得形容袅娜,性格风流。因素与贾家有些瓜葛,故结了亲,许以贾蓉为妻。那秦业至五旬之上方得了秦钟。因去岁业师亡故,未暇延请高明之士,只得暂时在家温习旧课。正思要和亲家去商议送往他家塾中,暂且不致荒废,可巧遇见宝玉这个机会,又知贾家塾中现今司塾的是贾代儒,乃当今之老儒,秦钟此去,学业料必进益,成名可望,因此十分喜悦。只是宦囊羞涩,那贾家上上下下都是一双富贵眼睛,容易拿不出来,儿子的终身大事,说不得东拼西凑的恭恭敬敬封了二十四两贽见礼,亲自带了秦钟,来代儒家拜见了。然後听宝玉上学之日,好一同入塾。正是:
只看该作者 26 发表于: 2009-03-14
CHAPTER VIII.
By a strange coincidence, Chia Pao-yü becomes acquainted with the golden clasp — In an unexpected meeting, Hsüeh Pao-ch’ai sees the jade of spiritual perception.
Pao-yü and lady Feng, we will now explain, paid, on their return home, their respects to all the inmates, and Pao-yü availed himself of the first occasion to tell dowager lady Chia of his wish that Ch’in Chung should come over to the family school. “The presence for himself of a friend as schoolmate would,” he argued, “be fitly excellent to stir him to zeal,” and he went on to speak in terms of high praise of Ch’in Chung, his character and his manners, which most of all made people esteem him.

Lady Feng besides stood by him and backed his request. “In a day or two,” she added, “Ch’in Chung will be coming to pay his obeisance to your venerable ladyship.”

This bit of news greatly rejoiced the heart of dowager lady Chia, and lady Feng likewise did not let the opportunity slip, without inviting the old lady to attend the theatrical performance to come off the day after the morrow. Dowager lady Chia was, it is true, well on in years, but was, nevertheless, very fond of enjoyment, so that when the day arrived and Mrs. Yu came over to invite her round, she forthwith took madame Wang, Lin Tai-yü, Pao-yü and others along and went to the play.

It was about noon, when dowager lady Chia returned to her apartments for her siesta; and madame Wang, who was habitually partial to a quiet life, also took her departure after she had seen the old lady retire. Lady Feng subsequently took the seat of honour; and the party enjoyed themselves immensely till the evening, when they broke up.

But to return to Pao-yü. Having accompanied his grandmother Chia back home, and waited till her ladyship was in her midday sleep, he had in fact an inclination to return to the performance, but he was afraid lest he should be a burden to Mrs. Ch’in and the rest and lest they should not feel at ease. Remembering therefore that Pao Ch’ai had been at home unwell for the last few days, and that he had not been to see her, he was anxious to go and look her up, but he dreaded that if he went by the side gate, at the back of the drawing-room, he would be prevented by something or other, and fearing, what would be making matters worse, lest he should come across his father, he consequently thought it better to go on his way by a detour. The nurses and waiting-maids thereupon came to help him to change his clothes; but they saw him not change, but go out again by the second door. These nurses and maids could not help following him out; but they were still under the impression that he was going over to the other mansion to see the theatricals. Contrary to their speculations, upon reaching the entrance hall, he forthwith went to the east, then turned to the north, and walking round by the rear of the hall, he happened to come face to face with two of the family companions, Mr. Ch’an Kuang, and Mr. Tan T’ing-jen. As soon as they caught sight of Pao-yü, they both readily drew up to him, and as they smiled, the one put his arm round his waist, while the other grasped him by the hand.

“Oh divine brother!” they both exclaimed, “this we call dreaming a pleasant dream, for it’s no easy thing to come across you!”

While continuing their remarks they paid their salutations, and inquired after his health; and it was only after they had chatted for ever so long, that they went on their way. The nurse called out to them and stopped them, “Have you two gentlemen,” she said, “come out from seeing master?”

They both nodded assent. “Your master,” they explained, “is in the Meng P’o Chai small library having his siesta; so that you can go through there with no fear.”

As they uttered these words, they walked away.

This remark also evoked a smile from Pao-yü, but without further delay he turned a corner, went towards the north, and came into the Pear Fragrance Court, where, as luck would have it, he met the head manager of the Household Treasury, Wu Hsin-teng, who, in company with the head of the granary, Tai Liang, and several other head stewards, seven persons in all, was issuing out of the Account Room.

On seeing Pao-yü approaching, they, in a body, stood still, and hung down their arms against their sides. One of them alone, a certain butler, called Ch’ien Hua, promptly came forward, as he had not seen Pao-yü for many a day, and bending on one knee, paid his respects to Pao-yü. Pao-yü at once gave a smile and pulled him up.

“The day before yesterday,” smiled all the bystanders, “we were somewhere together and saw some characters written by you, master Secundus, in the composite style. The writing is certainly better than it was before! When will you give us a few sheets to stick on the wall?”

“Where did you see them?” inquired Pao-yü, with a grin.

“They are to be found in more than one place,” they replied, “and every one praises them very much, and what’s more, asks us for a few.”

“They are not worth having,” observed Pao-yü smilingly; “but if you do want any, tell my young servants and it will be all right.”

As he said these words, he moved onwards. The whole party waited till he had gone by, before they separated, each one to go his own way.

But we need not dilate upon matters of no moment, but return to Pao-yü.

On coming to the Pear Fragrance Court, he entered, first, into “aunt” Hsüeh’s room, where he found her getting some needlework ready to give to the waiting-maids to work at. Pao-yü forthwith paid his respects to her, and “aunt” Hsüeh, taking him by the hand, drew him towards her and clasped him in her embrace.

“With this cold weather,” she smilingly urged, “it’s too kind of you, my dear child, to think of coming to see me; come along on the stove-couch at once!—Bring some tea,” she continued, addressing the servants, “and make it as hot as it can be!”

“Isn’t Hsüeh P’an at home?” Pao-yü having inquired: “He’s like a horse without a halter,” Mrs. Hsüeh remarked with a sigh; “he’s daily running here and there and everywhere, and nothing can induce him to stay at home one single day.”

“Is sister (Pao Ch’ai) all right again?” asked Pao-yü. “Yes,” replied Mrs. Hsüeh, “she’s well again. It was very kind of you two days ago to again think of her, and send round to inquire after her. She’s now in there, and you can go and see her. It’s warmer there than it’s here; go and sit with her inside, and, as soon as I’ve put everything away, I’ll come and join you and have a chat.”

Pao-yü, upon hearing this, jumped down with alacrity from the stove-couch, and walked up to the door of the inner room, where he saw hanging a portière somewhat the worse for use, made of red silk. Pao-yü raised the portière and making one step towards the interior, he found Pao Ch’ai seated on the couch, busy over some needlework. On the top of her head was gathered, and made into a knot, her chevelure, black as lacquer, and glossy like pomade. She wore a honey-coloured wadded robe, a rose-brown short-sleeved jacket, lined with the fur of the squirrel of two colours: the “gold and silver;” and a jupe of leek-yellow silk. Her whole costume was neither too new, neither too old, and displayed no sign of extravagance.

Her lips, though not rouged, were naturally red; her eyebrows, though not pencilled, were yet blue black; her face resembled a silver basin, and her eyes, juicy plums. She was sparing in her words, chary in her talk, so much so that people said that she posed as a simpleton. She was quiet in the acquittal of her duties and scrupulous as to the proper season for everything. “I practise simplicity,” she would say of herself.

“How are you? are you quite well again, sister?” inquired Pao-yü, as he gazed at her; whereupon Pao Ch’ai raised her head, and perceiving Pao-yü walk in, she got up at once and replied with a smile, “I’m all right again; many thanks for your kindness in thinking of me.”

While uttering this, she pressed him to take a seat on the stove-couch, and as he sat down on the very edge of the couch, she told Ying Erh to bring tea and asked likewise after dowager lady Chia and lady Feng. “And are all the rest of the young ladies quite well?” she inquired.

Saying this she scrutinised Pao-yü, who she saw had a head-dress of purplish-gold twisted threads, studded with precious stones. His forehead was bound with a gold circlet, representing two dragons, clasping a pearl. On his person he wore a light yellow, archery-sleeved jacket, ornamented with rampant dragons, and lined with fur from the ribs of the silver fox; and was clasped with a dark sash, embroidered with different-coloured butterflies and birds. Round his neck was hung an amulet, consisting of a clasp of longevity, a talisman of recorded name, and, in addition to these, the precious jade which he had had in his mouth at the time of his birth.

“I’ve daily heard every one speak of this jade,” said Pao Ch’ai with a smile, “but haven’t, after all, had an opportunity of looking at it closely, but anyhow to-day I must see it.”

As she spoke, she drew near. Pao-yü himself approached, and taking it from his neck, he placed it in Pao Ch’ai’s hand. Pao Ch’ai held it in her palm. It appeared to her very much like the egg of a bird, resplendent as it was like a bright russet cloud; shiny and smooth like variegated curd and covered with a net for the sake of protection.

Readers, you should know that this was the very block of useless stone which had been on the Ta Huang Hills, and which had dropped into the Ch’ing Keng cave, in a state of metamorphosis. A later writer expresses his feelings in a satirical way as follows:

Nü Wo’s fusion of stones was e’er a myth inane,
But from this myth hath sprung fiction still more insane!
Lost is the subtle life, divine, and real!—gone!
Assumed, mean subterfuge! foul bags of skin and bone!
Fortune, when once adverse, how true! gold glows no more!
In evil days, alas! the jade’s splendour is o’er!
Bones, white and bleached, in nameless hill-like mounds are flung,
Bones once of youths renowned and maidens fair and young.

The rejected stone has in fact already given a record of the circumstances of its transformation, and the inscription in seal characters, engraved upon it by the bald-headed bonze, and below will now be also appended a faithful representation of it; but its real size is so very diminutive, as to allow of its being held by a child in his mouth while yet unborn, that were it to have been drawn in its exact proportions, the characters would, it is feared, have been so insignificant in size, that the beholder would have had to waste much of his eyesight, and it would besides have been no pleasant thing.

While therefore its shape has been adhered to, its size has unavoidably been slightly enlarged, to admit of the reader being able, conveniently, to peruse the inscription, even by very lamplight, and though he may be under the influence of wine.

These explanations have been given to obviate any such sneering remarks as: “What could be, pray, the size of the mouth of a child in his mother’s womb, and how could it grasp such a large and clumsy thing?”

On the face of the jade was written:

Precious Gem of Spiritual Perception.
If thou wilt lose me not and never forget me,
Eternal life and constant luck will be with thee!

On the reverse was written:

1 To exorcise evil spirits and the accessory visitations;
2 To cure predestined sickness;
3 To prognosticate weal and woe.

Pao Ch’ai having looked at the amulet, twisted it again to the face, and scrutinising it closely, read aloud:

If thou wilt lose me not and never forget me,
Eternal life and constant luck will be with thee!

She perused these lines twice, and, turning round, she asked Ying Erh laughingly: “Why don’t you go and pour the tea? what are you standing here like an idiot!”

“These two lines which I’ve heard,” smiled Ying Erh, “would appear to pair with the two lines on your necklet, miss!”

“What!” eagerly observed Pao-yü with a grin, when he caught these words, “are there really eight characters too on your necklet, cousin? do let me too see it.”

“Don’t listen to what she says,” remarked Pao Ch’ai, “there are no characters on it.”

“My dear cousin,” pleaded Pao-yü entreatingly, “how is it you’ve seen mine?”

Pao Ch’ai was brought quite at bay by this remark of his, and she consequently added, “There are also two propitious phrases engraved on this charm, and that’s why I wear it every day. Otherwise, what pleasure would there be in carrying a clumsy thing.”

As she spoke, she unfastened the button, and produced from inside her crimson robe, a crystal-like locket, set with pearls and gems, and with a brilliant golden fringe. Pao-yü promptly received it from her, and upon minute examination, found that there were in fact four characters on each side; the eight characters on both sides forming two sentences of good omen. The similitude of the locket is likewise then given below. On the face of the locket is written:

“Part not from me and cast me not away;”

And on the reverse:

“And youth, perennial freshness will display!”

Pao-yü examined the charm, and having also read the inscription twice over aloud, and then twice again to himself, he said as he smiled, “Dear cousin, these eight characters of yours form together with mine an antithetical verse.”

“They were presented to her,” ventured Ying Erh, “by a mangy-pated bonze, who explained that they should be engraved on a golden trinket....”

Pao Ch’ai left her no time to finish what she wished to say, but speedily called her to task for not going to bring the tea, and then inquired of Pao-yü “Where he had come from?”

Pao-yü had, by this time, drawn quite close to Pao Ch’ai, and perceived whiff after whiff of some perfume or other, of what kind he could not tell. “What perfume have you used, my cousin,” he forthwith asked, “to fumigate your dresses with? I really don’t remember smelling any perfumery of the kind before.”

“I’m very averse,” replied Pao Ch’ai blandly, “to the odour of fumigation; good clothes become impregnated with the smell of smoke.”

“In that case,” observed Pao-yü, “what scent is it?”

“Yes, I remember,” Pao Ch’ai answered, after some reflection; “it’s the scent of the ‘cold fragrance’ pills which I took this morning.”

“What are these cold fragrance pills,” remarked Pao-yü smiling, “that they have such a fine smell? Give me, cousin, a pill to try.”

“Here you are with your nonsense again,” Pao Ch’ai rejoined laughingly; “is a pill a thing to be taken recklessly?”

She had scarcely finished speaking, when she heard suddenly some one outside say, “Miss Lin is come;” and shortly Lin Tai-yü walked in in a jaunty manner.

“Oh, I come at a wrong moment!” she exclaimed forthwith, smirking significantly when she caught sight of Pao-yü.

Pao-yü and the rest lost no time in rising and offering her a seat, whereupon Pao Ch’ai added with a smile, “How can you say such things?”

“Had I known sooner,” continued Tai-yü, “that he was here, I would have kept away.”

“I can’t fathom this meaning of yours,” protested Pao Ch’ai.

“If one comes,” Tai-yü urged smiling, “then all come, and when one doesn’t come, then no one comes. Now were he to come to-day, and I to come to-morrow, wouldn’t there be, by a division of this kind, always some one with you every day? and in this way, you wouldn’t feel too lonely, nor too crowded. How is it, cousin, that you didn’t understand what I meant to imply?”

“Is it snowing?” inquired Pao-yü, upon noticing that she wore a cloak made of crimson camlet, buttoning in front.

“It has been snowing for some time,” ventured the matrons, who were standing below. “Fetch my wrapper!” Pao-yü remarked, and Tai-yü readily laughed. “Am I not right? I come, and, of course, he must go at once.”

“Did I ever mention that I was going?” questioned Pao-yü; “I only wish it brought to have it ready when I want it.”

“It’s a snowy day,” consequently remarked Pao-yü‘s nurse, dame Li, “and we must also look to the time, but you had better remain here and amuse yourself with your cousin. Your aunt has, in there, got ready tea and fruits. I’ll tell the waiting-maid to go and fetch your wrapper and the boys to return home.” Pao-yü assented, and nurse Li left the room and told the boys that they were at liberty to go.

By this time Mrs. Hsüeh had prepared tea and several kinds of nice things and kept them all to partake of those delicacies. Pao-yü, having spoken highly of some goose feet and ducks’ tongues he had tasted some days before, at his eldest sister-in-law’s, Mrs. Yu’s, “aunt” Hsüeh promptly produced several dishes of the same kind, made by herself, and gave them to Pao-yü to try. “With a little wine,” added Pao-yü with a smile, “they would be first rate.”

Mrs. Hsüeh thereupon bade the servants fetch some wine of the best quality; but dame Li came forward and remonstrated. “My lady,” she said, “never mind the wine.”

Pao-yü smilingly pleaded: “My nurse, I’ll take just one cup and no more.”

“It’s no use,” nurse Li replied, “were your grandmother and mother present, I wouldn’t care if you drank a whole jar. I remember the day when I turned my eyes away but for a moment, and some ignorant fool or other, merely with the view of pandering for your favour, gave you only a drop of wine to drink, and how this brought reproaches upon me for a couple of days. You don’t know, my lady, you have no idea of his disposition! it’s really dreadful; and when he has had a little wine he shows far more temper. On days when her venerable ladyship is in high spirits, she allows him to have his own way about drinking, but he’s not allowed to have wine on any and every day; and why should I have to suffer inside and all for nothing at all?”

“You antiquated thing!” replied Mrs. Hsüeh laughing, “set your mind at ease, and go and drink your own wine! I won’t let him have too much, and should even the old lady say anything, let the fault be mine.”

Saying this, she asked a waiting-maid to take nurse Li along with her and give her also a glass of wine so as to keep out the cold air.

When nurse Li heard these words, she had no alternative but to go for a time with all the others and have some wine to drink.

“The wine need not be warmed: I prefer it cold!” Pao-yü went on to suggest meanwhile.

“That won’t do,” remonstrated Mrs. Hsüeh; “cold wine will make your hand tremble when you write.”

“You have,” interposed Pao Ch’ai smiling, “the good fortune, cousin Pao-yü, of having daily opportunities of acquiring a knowledge of every kind of subject, and yet don’t you know that the properties of wine are mostly heating? If you drink wine warm, its effects soon dispel, but if you drink it cold, it at once congeals in you; and as upon your intestines devolves the warming of it, how can you not derive any harm? and won’t you yet from this time change this habit of yours? leave off at once drinking that cold wine.”

Pao-yü finding that the words he had heard contained a good deal of sense, speedily put down the cold wine, and having asked them to warm it, he at length drank it.
只看该作者 27 发表于: 2009-03-14
Tai-yü was bent upon cracking melon seeds, saying nothing but simply pursing up her lips and smiling, when, strange coincidence, Hsüeh Yen, Tai-yü‘s waiting-maid, walked in and handed her mistress a small hand-stove.

“Who told you to bring it?” ascertained Tai-yü grinningly. “I’m sorry to have given whoever it is the trouble; I’m obliged to her. But did she ever imagine that I would freeze to death?”

“Tzu Chuan was afraid,” replied Hsüeh Yen, “that you would, miss, feel cold, and she asked me to bring it over.”

Tai-yü took it over and held it in her lap. “How is it,” she smiled, “that you listen to what she tells you, but that you treat what I say, day after day, as so much wind blowing past your ears! How is it that you at once do what she bids you, with even greater alacrity than you would an imperial edict?”

When Pao-yü heard this, he felt sure in his mind that Tai-yü was availing herself of this opportunity to make fun of him, but he made no remark, merely laughing to himself and paying no further notice. Pao Ch’ai, again, knew full well that this habit was a weak point with Tai-yü, so she too did not go out of her way to heed what she said.

“You’ve always been delicate and unable to stand the cold,” interposed “aunt” Hsüeh, “and is it not a kind attention on their part to have thought of you?”

“You don’t know, aunt, how it really stands,” responded Tai-yü smilingly; “fortunately enough, it was sent to me here at your quarters; for had it been in any one else’s house, wouldn’t it have been a slight upon them? Is it forsooth nice to think that people haven’t so much as a hand-stove, and that one has fussily to be sent over from home? People won’t say that the waiting-maids are too officious, but will imagine that I’m in the habit of behaving in this offensive fashion.”

“You’re far too punctilious,” remarked Mrs. Hsüeh, “as to entertain such notions! No such ideas as these crossed my mind just now.”

While they were conversing, Pao-yü had taken so much as three cups of wine, and nurse Li came forward again to prevent him from having any more. Pao-yü was just then in a state of exultation and excitement, (a state) enhanced by the conversation and laughter of his cousins, so that was he ready to agree to having no more! But he was constrained in a humble spirit to entreat for permission. “My dear nurse,” he implored, “I’ll just take two more cups and then have no more.”

“You’d better be careful,” added nurse Li, “your father is at home to-day, and see that you’re ready to be examined in your lessons.”

When Pao-yü heard this mention, his spirits at once sank within him, and gently putting the wine aside, he dropped his head upon his breast.

Tai-yü promptly remonstrated. “You’ve thrown cold water,” she said, “over the spirits of the whole company; why, if uncle should ask to see you, well, say that aunt Hsüeh detained you. This old nurse of yours has been drinking, and again makes us the means of clearing her muddled head!”

While saying this, she gave Pao-yü a big nudge with the intent of stirring up his spirits, adding, as she addressed him in a low tone of voice: “Don’t let us heed that old thing, but mind our own enjoyment.”

Dame Li also knew very well Tai-yü‘s disposition, and therefore remarked: “Now, Miss Lin, don’t you urge him on; you should after all, give him good advice, as he may, I think, listen to a good deal of what you say to him.”

“Why should I urge him on?” rejoined Lin Tai-yü, with a sarcastic smile, “nor will I trouble myself to give him advice. You, old lady, are far too scrupulous! Old lady Chia has also time after time given him wine, and if he now takes a cup or two more here, at his aunt’s, lady Hsüeh’s house, there’s no harm that I can see. Is it perhaps, who knows, that aunt is a stranger in this establishment, and that we have in fact no right to come over here to see her?”

Nurse Li was both vexed and amused by the words she had just heard. “Really,” she observed, “every remark this girl Lin utters is sharper than a razor! I didn’t say anything much!”

Pao Ch’ai too could not suppress a smile, and as she pinched Tai-yü‘s cheek, she exclaimed, “Oh the tongue of this frowning girl! one can neither resent what it says, nor yet listen to it with any gratification!”

“Don’t be afraid!” Mrs. Hsüeh went on to say, “don’t be afraid; my son, you’ve come to see me, and although I’ve nothing good to give you, you mustn’t, through fright, let the trifle you’ve taken lie heavy on your stomach, and thus make me uneasy; but just drink at your pleasure, and as much as you like, and let the blame fall on my shoulders. What’s more, you can stay to dinner with me, and then go home; or if you do get tipsy, you can sleep with me, that’s all.”

She thereupon told the servants to heat some more wine. “I’ll come,” she continued, “and keep you company while you have two or three cups, after which we’ll have something to eat!”

It was only after these assurances that Pao-yü‘s spirits began at length, once more to revive, and dame Li then directed the waiting-maids what to do. “You remain here,” she enjoined, “and mind, be diligent while I go home and change; when I’ll come back again. Don’t allow him,” she also whispered to “aunt” Hsüeh, “to have all his own way and drink too much.”

Having said this, she betook herself back to her quarters; and during this while, though there were two or three nurses in attendance, they did not concern themselves with what was going on. As soon as they saw that nurse Li had left, they likewise all quietly slipped out, at the first opportunity they found, while there remained but two waiting-maids, who were only too glad to curry favour with Pao-yü. But fortunately “aunt” Hsüeh, by much coaxing and persuading, only let him have a few cups, and the wine being then promptly cleared away, pickled bamboo shoots and chicken-skin soup were prepared, of which Pao-yü drank with relish several bowls full, eating besides more than half a bowl of finest rice congee.

By this time, Hsüeh Pao Ch’ai and Lin Tai-yü had also finished their repast; and when Pao-yü had drunk a few cups of strong tea, Mrs. Hsüeh felt more easy in her mind. Hsüeh Yen and the others, three or four of them in all, had also had their meal, and came in to wait upon them.

“Are you now going or not?” inquired Tai-yü of Pao-yü.

Pao-yü looked askance with his drowsy eyes. “If you want to go,” he observed, “I’ll go with you.”

Tai-yü hearing this, speedily rose. “We’ve been here nearly the whole day,” she said, “and ought to be going back.”

As she spoke the two of them bade good-bye, and the waiting-maids at once presented a hood to each of them.

Pao-yü readily lowered his head slightly and told a waiting-maid to put it on. The girl promptly took the hood, made of deep red cloth, and shaking it out of its folds, she put it on Pao-yü‘s head.

“That will do,” hastily exclaimed Pao-yü. “You stupid thing! gently a bit; is it likely you’ve never seen any one put one on before? let me do it myself.”

“Come over here, and I’ll put it on for you,” suggested Tai-yü, as she stood on the edge of the couch. Pao-yü eagerly approached her, and Tai-yü carefully kept the cap, to which his hair was bound, fast down, and taking the hood she rested its edge on the circlet round his forehead. She then raised the ball of crimson velvet, which was as large as a walnut, and put it in such a way that, as it waved tremulously, it should appear outside the hood. These arrangements completed she cast a look for a while at what she had done. “That’s right now,” she added, “throw your wrapper over you!”

When Pao-yü caught these words, he eventually took the wrapper and threw it over his shoulders.

“None of your nurses,” hurriedly interposed aunt Hsüeh, “are yet come, so you had better wait a while.”

“Why should we wait for them?” observed Pao-yü. “We have the waiting-maids to escort us, and surely they should be enough.”

Mrs. Hsüeh finding it difficult to set her mind at ease deputed two married women to accompany the two cousins; and after they had both expressed (to these women) their regret at having troubled them, they came straightway to dowager lady Chia’s suite of apartments.

Her venerable ladyship had not, as yet, had her evening repast. Hearing that they had been at Mrs. Hsüeh’s, she was extremely pleased; but noticing that Pao-yü had had some wine, she gave orders that he should be taken to his room, and put to bed, and not be allowed to come out again.

“Do take good care of him,” she therefore enjoined the servants, and when suddenly she bethought herself of Pao-yü‘s attendants, “How is it,” she at once inquired of them all, “that I don’t see nurse Li here?”

They did not venture to tell her the truth, that she had gone home, but simply explained that she had come in a few moments back, and that they thought she must have again gone out on some business or other.

“She’s better off than your venerable ladyship,” remarked Pao-yü, turning round and swaying from side to side. “Why then ask after her? Were I rid of her, I believe I might live a little longer.”

While uttering these words, he reached the door of his bedroom, where he saw pen and ink laid out on the writing table.

“That’s nice,” exclaimed Ch’ing Wen, as she came to meet him with a smile on her face, “you tell me to prepare the ink for you, but though when you get up, you were full of the idea of writing, you only wrote three characters, when you discarded the pencil, and ran away, fooling me, by making me wait the whole day! Come now at once and exhaust all this ink before you’re let off.”

Pao-yü then remembered what had taken place in the morning. “Where are the three characters I wrote?” he consequently inquired, smiling.

“Why this man is tipsy,” remarked Ch’ing Wen sneeringly. “As you were going to the other mansion, you told me to stick them over the door. I was afraid lest any one else should spoil them, as they were being pasted, so I climbed up a high ladder and was ever so long in putting them up myself; my hands are even now numb with cold.”

“Oh I forgot all about it,” replied Pao-yü grinning, “if your hands are cold, come and I’ll rub them warm for you.”

Promptly stretching out his hand, he took those of Ch’ing Wen in his, and the two of them looked at the three characters, which he recently had written, and which were pasted above the door. In a short while, Tai-yü came.

“My dear cousin,” Pao-yü said to her smilingly, “tell me without any prevarication which of the three characters is the best written?”

Tai-yü raised her head and perceived the three characters: Red, Rue, Hall. “They’re all well done,” she rejoined, with a smirk, “How is it you’ve written them so well? By and bye you must also write a tablet for me.”

“Are you again making fun of me?” asked Pao-yü smiling; “what about sister Hsi Jen?” he went on to inquire.

Ch’ing Wen pouted her lips, pointing towards the stove-couch in the inner room, and, on looking in, Pao-yü espied Hsi Jen fast asleep in her daily costume.

“Well,” Pao-yü observed laughing, “there’s no harm in it, but its rather early to sleep. When I was having my early meal, on the other side,” he proceeded, speaking to Ch’ing Wen, “there was a small dish of dumplings, with bean-curd outside; and as I thought you would like to have some, I asked Mrs. Yu for them, telling her that I would keep them, and eat them in the evening; I told some one to bring them over, but have you perchance seen them?”

“Be quick and drop that subject,” suggested Ch’ing Wen; “as soon as they were brought over, I at once knew they were intended for me; as I had just finished my meal, I put them by in there, but when nurse Li came she saw them. ‘Pao-yü,’ she said, ‘is not likely to eat them, so I’ll take them and give them to my grandson.’ And forthwith she bade some one take them over to her home.”

While she was speaking, Hsi Hsüeh brought in tea, and Pao-yü pressed his cousin Lin to have a cup.

“Miss Lin has gone long ago,” observed all of them, as they burst out laughing, “and do you offer her tea?”

Pao-yü drank about half a cup, when he also suddenly bethought himself of some tea, which had been brewed in the morning. “This morning,” he therefore inquired of Hsi Hsüeh, “when you made a cup of maple-dew tea, I told you that that kind of tea requires brewing three or four times before its colour appears; and how is that you now again bring me this tea?”

“I did really put it by,” answered Hsi Hsüeh, “but nurse Li came and drank it, and then went off.”

Pao-yü upon hearing this, dashed the cup he held in his hand on the ground, and as it broke into small fragments, with a crash, it spattered Hsi Hsüeh’s petticoat all over.

“Of whose family is she the mistress?” inquired Pao-yü of Hsi Hsüeh, as he jumped up, “that you all pay such deference to her. I just simply had a little of her milk, when I was a brat, and that’s all; and now she has got into the way of thinking herself more high and mighty than even the heads of the family! She should be packed off, and then we shall all have peace and quiet.”

Saying this, he was bent upon going, there and then, to tell dowager lady Chia to have his nurse driven away.

Hsi Jen was really not asleep, but simply feigning, with the idea, when Pao-yü came, to startle him in play. At first, when she heard him speak of writing, and inquire after the dumplings, she did not think it necessary to get up, but when he flung the tea-cup on the floor, and got into a temper, she promptly jumped up and tried to appease him, and to prevent him by coaxing from carrying out his threat.

A waiting-maid sent by dowager lady Chia came in, meanwhile, to ask what was the matter.

“I had just gone to pour tea,” replied Hsi Jen, without the least hesitation, “and I slipped on the snow and fell, while the cup dropped from my hand and broke. Your decision to send her away is good,” she went on to advise Pao-yü, “and we are all willing to go also; and why not avail yourself of this opportunity to dismiss us in a body? It will be for our good, and you too on the other hand, needn’t perplex yourself about not getting better people to come and wait on you!”

When Pao-yü heard this taunt, he had at length not a word to say, and supported by Hsi Jen and the other attendants on to the couch, they divested him of his clothes. But they failed to understand the drift of what Pao-yü kept on still muttering, and all they could make out was an endless string of words; but his eyes grew heavier and drowsier, and they forthwith waited upon him until he went to sleep; when Hsi Jen unclasped the jade of spiritual perception, and rolling it up in a handkerchief, she lay it under the mattress, with the idea that when he put it on the next day it should not chill his neck.

Pao-yü fell sound asleep the moment he lay his head on the pillow. By this time nurse Li and the others had come in, but when they heard that Pao-yü was tipsy, they too did not venture to approach, but gently made inquiries as to whether he was asleep or not. On hearing that he was, they took their departure with their minds more at ease.

The next morning the moment Pao-yü awoke, some one came in to tell him that young Mr. Jung, living in the mansion on the other side, had brought Ch’in Chung to pay him a visit.

Pao-yü speedily went out to greet them and to take them over to pay their respects to dowager lady Chia. Her venerable ladyship upon perceiving that Ch’in Chung, with his handsome countenance, and his refined manners, would be a fit companion for Pao-yü in his studies, felt extremely delighted at heart; and having readily detained him to tea, and kept him to dinner, she went further and directed a servant to escort him to see madame Wang and the rest of the family.

With the fond regard of the whole household for Mrs. Ch’in, they were, when they saw what a kind of person Ch’in Chung was, so enchanted with him, that at the time of his departure, they all had presents to give him; even dowager lady Chia herself presented him with a purse and a golden image of the God of Learning, with a view that it should incite him to study and harmony.

“Your house,” she further advised him, “is far off, and when it’s cold or hot, it would be inconvenient for you to come all that way, so you had better come and live over here with me. You’ll then be always with your cousin Pao-yü, and you won’t be together, in your studies, with those fellow-pupils of yours who have no idea what progress means.”

Ch’in Chung made a suitable answer to each one of her remarks, and on his return home he told everything to his father.

His father, Ch’in Pang-yeh, held at present the post of Secretary in the Peking Field Force, and was well-nigh seventy. His wife had died at an early period, and as she left no issue, he adopted a son and a daughter from a foundling asylum.

But who would have thought it, the boy also died, and there only remained the girl, known as Kó Ch’ing in her infancy, who when she grew up, was beautiful in face and graceful in manners, and who by reason of some relationship with the Chia family, was consequently united by the ties of marriage (to one of the household).

Ch’in Pang-yeh was in his fiftieth year when he at length got this son. As his tutor had the previous year left to go south, he remained at home keeping up his former lessons; and (his father) had been just thinking of talking over the matter with his relatives of the Chia family, and sending his son to the private school, when, as luck would have it, this opportunity of meeting Pao-yü presented itself.

Knowing besides that the family school was under the direction of the venerable scholar Chia Tai-ju, and hoping that by joining his class, (his son) might advance in knowledge and by these means reap reputation, he was therefore intensely gratified. The only drawbacks were that his official emoluments were scanty, and that both the eyes of everyone in the other establishment were set upon riches and honours, so that he could not contribute anything short of the amount (given by others); but his son’s welfare throughout life was a serious consideration, and he, needless to say, had to scrape together from the East and to collect from the West; and making a parcel, with all deference, of twenty-four taels for an introduction present, he came along with Ch’in Chung to Tai-ju’s house to pay their respects. But he had to wait subsequently until Pao-yü could fix on an auspicious date on which they could together enter the school.

As for what happened after they came to school, the next chapter will divulge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
只看该作者 28 发表于: 2009-03-14
第 九 回

恋风流情友入家塾 起嫌疑顽童闹学堂

话说秦业父子专候贾家的人来送上学择日之信。原来宝玉急于要和秦钟相遇,却顾不得别的,遂择了後日一定上学。“後日一早,请秦相公到我这里,会齐了,一同前去。”--打发了人送了信。

至是日一早,宝玉起来时,袭人早已把书笔文物包好,收拾得停停妥妥,坐在床沿上发闷。见宝玉醒来,只得伏待他梳洗。宝玉见他闷闷的,因笑问道:“好姐姐,你怎么又不自在了?难道怪我上学去丢的你们冷清了不成?”袭人笑道:“这是那里话。读书是极好的事,不然就潦倒一辈子,终久怎么样呢。但只一件,只是念书的时节想着书,不念的时节想着家些。别和他们一处玩闹,碰见老爷不是顽的。虽说是奋志要强,那工课宁可少些,一则贪多嚼不烂,二则身子也要保重。这就是我的意思,你可要体谅。”袭人说一句,宝玉答应一句。袭人又道:“大毛衣服我也包好了,交出给小子们去了。学里冷,好歹想着添换,比不得家里有人照顾。脚炉手炉的炭也交出去了,你可逼着他们添。那一起懒贼,你不说,他们乐得不动,白冻坏了你。”宝玉道:“你放心,出外头我自己都会调停的。你们也别闷死在这屋里,长和林妹妹一处去顽笑才好。”说着,俱已穿戴齐备,袭人催他去见贾母、贾政、王夫人等。宝玉且又嘱咐了晴雯麝月等几句,方出来见贾母。贾母也未免有几句嘱咐的话。然後去见王夫人,又出来书房中见贾政。

偏生这日贾政回家早些,正在书房中与相公清客们闲谈。忽见宝玉进来请安,回说上学里去,贾政冷笑道:“你如果再提‘上学’两个字,连我也羞死了。依我的话,你竟顽你的去是正理。仔细站脏了我这地,靠脏了我的门!”众清客相公们都早起身笑道:“老世翁何必又如此。今日世兄一去,三二年就可显身成名的了,断不似往年仍作小儿之态了。天也将饭时,世兄竟快请罢。”说着便有两个年老的携了宝玉出去。

贾政因问:“跟宝玉的是谁?”只听外面答应了两声,早进来三四个大汉,打千儿请安。贾政看时,认得是宝玉的奶母之子,名唤李贵。因向他道:“你们成日家跟他上学,他到底念了些什么书!倒念了些流言混话在肚子里,学了些精致的淘气。等我闲一闲,先揭了你的皮,再和那不长进的算账!”吓的李贵忙双膝跪下,摘了帽子,碰头有声,连连答应“是”,又回说:“哥儿已经念到第三本《诗经》,什么‘呦呦鹿呜,荷叶浮萍’,小的不敢撒谎。”说的满座哄然大笑起来。贾政也掌不住笑了。因说道:“那怕再念三十本《诗经》,也都是掩耳偷铃,哄人而已。你去请学里太爷的安,就说我说了:什么《诗经》古文,一概不用虚应故事,只是先把《四书》一气讲明背熟,是最要紧的。”李贵忙答应“是”,见贾政无话,方退出去。

此时宝玉独站在院外屏声静候,待他们出来,便忙忙的走了。李贵等一面弹衣服,一面说道:“哥儿可听见了不曾?可先要揭我们的皮呢!人家的奴才跟主子赚些好体面,我们这等奴才白陪挨打受骂的。从此後也可怜见些才好。”宝玉笑道:“好哥哥,你别委曲,我明儿请你。”李贵道:“小祖宗,谁敢望你请?只求听一句半句话就有了。”说着,又至贾母这边,秦钟已早来候着了,贾母正和他说话儿呢。于是二人见过,辞了贾母。宝玉忽想起未辞黛玉,因又忙至黛玉房中来作辞。彼时黛玉才在窗下对镜理妆,听宝玉说上学去,因笑道:“好!这一去,可定是要‘蟾宫折桂’去了。我不能送你了。”宝玉道:“好妹妹,等我下学再吃晚饭。和胭脂膏子也等我来再制。”劳叨了半日,方撤身去了。黛玉忙又叫住问道:“你怎么不去辞辞你宝姐姐呢?”宝玉笑而不答,一径同秦钟上学去了。

原来这贾家义学离此也不甚远,不过一里之遥,原系始祖所立,恐族中子弟有贫穷不能请师者,即入此中肄业。凡族中有官爵之人,皆供给银两,按俸之多寡帮助,为学中之费。特共举年高有德之人为塾掌,专为训课子弟。如今宝秦二人来了,一一的都互相拜见过,读起书来。自此以後,他二人同来同往,同起同坐,愈加亲密。又兼贾母爱惜,也时常的留下秦钟,住上三天五日,与自己的重孙一般疼爱。因见秦钟不甚宽裕,更又助他些衣履等物。不上一月之工,秦钟在荣府便熟了。宝玉终是不安分之人,竟一味的随心所欲,因此又发了癖性,又特向秦钟悄说道:“咱们俩个人一样的年纪,况又是同窗,以後不必论叔侄,只论弟兄朋友就是了。”先是秦钟不肯,当不得宝玉不依,只叫他“兄弟”,或叫他的表字“鲸卿”,秦钟也只得混着乱叫起来。

原来这学中虽都是本族人丁与些亲戚家的子弟,俗语说的好,“一龙生九种,种种各别。”未免人多了,就有龙蛇混杂,下流人物在内。自宝、秦二人来了,都生的花朵儿一般的模样,又见秦钟腼腆温柔,未语面先红,怯怯羞羞,有女儿之风;宝玉又是天生成惯能作小服低,赔身下气,性情体贴,话语绵缠,因此二人更加亲厚,也怨不得那起同窗人起了疑,背地里你言我语,诟谇谣诼,布满书房内外。

原来薛蟠自来王夫人处住後,便知有一家学,学中广有青年子弟,不免偶动了龙阳之兴,因此也假来上学读书,不过是三日打鱼,两日晒网,白送些束修礼物与贾代儒,却不曾有一些儿进益,只图结交些契弟。谁想这学内就有好几个小学生,图了薛蟠的银钱吃穿,被他哄上手的,也不消多记。更有两个多情的小学生,亦不知是那一房的亲眷,亦未考真名姓,只因生得妩媚风流,满学中都送了他两个外号,一号“香怜”,一号“玉爱”。谁都有窃慕之意,将不利于孺子之心,只是都惧薛蟠的威势,不敢来沾惹。如今宝、秦二人一来了,见了他两个,也不免缱绻羡慕,亦因知系薛蟠相知,故未敢轻举妄动。香、玉二人心中,也一般的留情与宝、秦。因此四人心中虽有情意,只未发迹。每日一入学中,四处各坐,却八目勾留,或设言托意,或咏桑寓柳,遥以心照,却外面自为避人眼目。不意偏又有几个滑贼看出形景来,都背後挤眉弄眼,或咳嗽扬声,这也非此一日。

可巧这日代儒有事,早已回家去了,又留下一句七言对联,命学生对了,明日再来上书;将学中之事,又命贾瑞暂且管理。妙在薛蟠如今不大来学中应卯了,因此秦钟趁此和香怜挤眉弄眼,递暗号儿,二人假装出小恭,走至後院说体己话。秦钟先问他:“家里的大人可管你交朋友不管?”一语未了,只听背後咳嗽了一声。二人唬的忙回头看时,原来是窗友名金荣者。香怜本有些性急,羞怒相激,问他道:“你咳嗽什么?难道不许我两个说话不成?”金荣笑道:“许你们说话,难道不许我咳嗽不成?我只问你们:有话不明说,许你们这样鬼鬼崇崇的干什么故事?我可也拿住了,还赖什么!先得让我抽个头儿,咱们一声儿不言语,不然大家就奋起来。”秦、香二人急得飞红的脸,便问道:“你拿住什么了?”金荣笑道:“我现拿住了是真的。”说着,又拍着手笑嚷道:“贴的好烧饼!你们都不买一个吃去?”秦钟香怜二人又气又急,忙进来向贾瑞前告金荣,说金荣无故欺负他两个。

原来这贾瑞最是个图便宜没行止的人,每在学中以公报私,****子弟们请他;後又附助着薛蟠,图些银钱酒肉,一任薛蟠横行霸道,他不但不去管约,反助纣为虐讨好儿。偏那薛蟠本是浮萍心性,今日爱东,明日爱西,近来又有了新朋友,把香、玉二人丢开一边。就连金荣亦是当日的好朋友,自有了香、玉二人,便弃了金荣。近日连香、玉亦已见弃。故贾瑞也无了提携帮衬之人,不说薛蟠得新弃旧,只怨香、玉二人不在薛蟠前提携帮补他,因此贾瑞金荣等一干人,也正在醋妒他两个。今儿见秦、香二人来告金荣,贾瑞心中便不自在起来,不好呵叱秦钟,却拿着香怜作法,反说他多事,着实抢白了几句。香怜反讨了没趣,连秦钟也讪讪的各归坐位去了。金荣越发得了意,摇头咂嘴的,口内还说许多闲话,玉爱偏又听了不忿,两个人隔座咕咕唧唧的角起口来。金荣只一口咬定说:“方才明明的撞见他两个在後院子里亲嘴摸屁股,一对一(上为入,下为肉),撅草棍儿抽长短,谁长谁先干。”金荣只顾得意乱说,却不防还有别人。谁知早又触怒了一个。你道这个是谁?

原来这一个名唤贾蔷,亦系宁府中之正派玄孙,父母早亡,从小儿跟贾珍过活,如今长了十六岁,比贾蓉生的还风流俊俏。他兄弟二人最相亲厚,常相共处。宁府人多口杂,那些不得志的奴仆们,专能造言诽谤主人,因此不知又有了什么小人诟谇谣诼之辞。贾珍想亦风闻得些口声不大好,自己也要避些嫌疑,如今竟分与房舍,命贾蔷搬出宁府,自去立门户过活去了。这贾蔷外相既美,内性又聪明,虽然应名来上学,亦不过虚掩眼目而已。仍是斗鸡走狗,赏花玩柳。总恃上有贾珍溺爱,下有贾蓉匡助,因此族中人谁敢来触逆于他。他既和贾蓉最好,今见有人欺负秦钟,如何肯依?如今自己要挺身出来报不平,心中却忖度一番,想道:“金荣贾瑞一干人,都是薛大叔的相知,向日我又与薛大叔相好,倘或我一出头,他们告诉了老薛,我们岂不伤和气?待要不管,如此谣言,说的大家没趣。如今何不用计制服,又止息了口声,又不伤了脸面。”想毕,也装出小恭,走至外面,悄悄的把跟宝玉的书童名唤茗烟者唤到身边,如此这般.调拨他几句。

这茗烟乃是宝玉第一个得用的,且又年轻不暗世事,如今听贾蔷说金荣如此欺负秦钟,连他爷宝玉都干连在内,不给他个利害,下次越发狂纵难制了。这茗烟无故就要欺压人的,如今得了这个信,又有贾蔷助着,便一头进来找金荣,也不叫金相公了,只说“姓金的,你是什么东西!”贾蔷遂跺一跺靴子,故意整整衣服,看看日影儿说:“是时候了。”遂先向贾瑞说有事要早一步。贾瑞不敢强他,只得随他去了。这里茗烟先一把揪住金荣,问道:“我们入屁股不入屁股,管你****相干?横竖没入你爹去罢了!你是好小子,出来动一动你茗大爷!”吓的满屋中子弟都怔怔的痴望。贾瑞忙吆喝:“茗烟不得撒野!”金荣气黄了脸,说:“反了!奴才小子都敢如此,我和你主子说。”便夺手要去抓打宝玉秦钟。尚未去时,从得脑後飕的一声,早见一方砚瓦飞来,并不知系何人打来的,幸未打着,却又打了旁人的座上,这座上乃是贾兰贾菌。

贾菌亦系荣府近派的重孙,其母亦少寡,独守着贾菌,这贾菌与贾兰最好,所以二人同桌而坐。谁知贾菌年纪虽小,志气最大,极是淘气不怕人的。他在座上冷眼看见金荣的朋友暗助金荣,飞砚来打茗烟,偏没打着茗烟,便落在他座上,正打在面前,将一个磁砚水壶打了个粉碎,溅了一书黑水。贾菌如何依得,便骂:“好囚攮的们,这不都动了手了么!”骂着,也抓起砚砖来要打回去。贾兰是个省事的,忙按住砚,极口劝道:“好兄弟,不与咱们相干。”贾菌如何忍得住,便两手抱起书匣子来,照那边抡了去。终是身小力薄,却抡不到那里,刚到宝玉秦钟桌案上就落了下来,只听哗啷啷一声,砸在桌上,书本纸片等至于笔砚之物撒了一桌,又把宝玉的一碗茶也砸得碗碎茶流。贾菌便跳出来,要揪打那一个飞砚的。金荣此时随手抓了一根毛竹大板在手,地狭人多,那里经得舞动长板。茗烟早吃了一下,乱嚷:“你们还不来动手!”宝玉还有三个小厮:一名锄药,一名扫红,一名墨雨。这三个岂有不淘气的,一齐乱嚷:“小妇养的!动了兵器了!”墨雨遂掇起一根门闩,扫红锄药手中都是马鞭子,蜂拥而上。贾瑞急拦一回这个,劝一回那个,谁听他的话,肆行大闹。众顽童也有趁势帮着打太平拳助乐的,也有胆小藏在一边的,也有直立在桌上拍着手儿乱笑、喝着声儿叫打的,登时间鼎沸起来。

外边李贵等几个大仆人听见里边作反起来,忙都进来一齐喝住。问是何原故。众声不一,这一个如此说,那一个又如彼说。李贵且喝骂了茗烟四个一顿,撵了出去。秦钟的头早撞在金荣的板上,打去一层油皮,宝玉正拿褂襟子替他揉呢,见喝住了众人,便命:“李贵,收书!拉马来,我回去回太爷去!我们被人欺负了,不敢说别的,守礼来告诉瑞大爷,瑞大爷反倒派我们不是,听人家骂我们,还调唆他们打我们茗烟,连秦钟的头也打破,这还在这里念什么书!茗烟他也是为有人欺侮我的。不如散了罢。”李贵劝道:“哥儿不要性急。太爷既有事回家去了,这会子为这点子事去聒噪他老人家,倒显的咱们没理。依我的主意,那里的事那里了结好,何必去惊动他老人家。这都是瑞大爷的不是,太爷不在这里,你老人家就是这学里的头脑了,众人看你着行事。众人有了不是,该打的打,该罚的罚,如何等闹到这步田地不管?”贾瑞道:“我吆喝着都不听。”李贵笑道:“不怕你老人家恼我,素日你老人家到底有些不正经,所以这些兄弟才不听。就闹到太爷跟前去,连你老人家也脱不过的。还不快作主意撕罗开了罢。”宝玉道:“撕罗什么?我必是回去的!”秦钟哭道:“有金荣,我是不在这里念书的。”宝玉道:“这是为什么?难道有人家来得的,咱们倒来不得?我必回明白众人,撵了金荣去。”又问李贵:“金荣是那一房的亲戚?”李贵想了一想:“也不用问了。若说起那一房的亲戚,更伤了弟兄们的和气了。”

茗烟在窗外道:“他是东胡同里璜大奶奶的侄儿,那是什么硬正仗腰子的,也来唬我们。璜大奶奶是他姑娘。你那姑妈只会打旋磨子,给我们琏****奶跪着借当头。我眼里就看不起他那样的主子奶奶!”李贵忙断喝不止,说:“偏你这小狗入的知道,有这些蛆嚼!”宝玉冷笑道:“我只当是谁的亲戚,原来是璜嫂子的侄儿,我就去问问他来!”说着便要走。叫茗烟进来包书。茗烟包着书,又得意道:“爷也不用自己去见,等我去到他家,就说老太太有说的话问他呢,雇上一辆车拉进去,当着老太太问他,岂不省事?”李贵忙喝道:“你要死!仔细回去我好不好先捶了你,然後再回老爷太太,就说宝玉全是你调唆的。我这里好容易劝哄的好了一半了,你又来生个新法子。你闹了学堂,不说变法儿压息了才是,倒要往大里闹!”茗烟方不敢作声儿了。

此时贾瑞也怕闹大了,自己也不乾净,只得委曲着来央告秦钟,又央告宝玉。先是他二人不肯。後来宝玉说:“不回去也罢了,只叫金荣赔不是便罢。”金荣先是不肯,後来禁不得贾瑞也来逼他去赔不是,李贵等只得好劝金荣说:“原来是你起的端,你不这样,怎得了局?”金荣强不得,只得与秦钟作了揖。宝玉还不依,偏定要磕头。贾瑞只要暂息此事,又悄悄的劝金荣说:“俗语说的好:‘****不过头点地’。你既惹出事来,少不得下点气儿,磕个头就完事了。”金荣无奈,只得进前来与秦钟磕头。且听下回分解。
只看该作者 29 发表于: 2009-03-14
CHAPTER IX.
Chia Cheng gives good advice to his wayward son — Li Kuei receives a reprimand — Chia Jui and Li Kuei rebuke the obstinate youths! Ming Yen causes trouble in the school-room.
But to return to our story. Mr. Ch’in, the father, and Ch’in Chung, his son, only waited until the receipt, by the hands of a servant, of a letter from the Chia family about the date on which they were to go to school. Indeed, Pao-yü was only too impatient that he and Ch’in Chung should come together, and, without loss of time, he fixed upon two days later as the day upon which they were definitely to begin their studies, and he despatched a servant with a letter to this effect.

On the day appointed, as soon as it was daylight, Pao-yü turned out of bed. Hsi Jen had already by that time got books, pencils and all writing necessaries in perfect readiness, and was sitting on the edge of the bed in a moping mood; but as soon as she saw Pao-yü approach, she was constrained to wait upon him in his toilette and ablutions.

Pao-yü, noticing how despondent she was, made it a point to address her. “My dear sister,” he said, “how is it you aren’t again yourself? Is it likely that you bear me a grudge for being about to go to school, because when I leave you, you’ll all feel dull?”

Hsi Jen smiled. “What an ideal” she replied. “Study is a most excellent thing, and without it a whole lifetime is a mere waste, and what good comes in the long run? There’s only one thing, which is simply that when engaged in reading your books, you should set your mind on your books; and that you should think of home when not engaged in reading. Whatever you do, don’t romp together with them, for were you to meet our master, your father, it will be no joke! Although it’s asserted that a scholar must strain every nerve to excel, yet it’s preferable that the tasks should be somewhat fewer, as, in the first place, when one eats too much, one cannot digest it; and, in the second place, good health must also be carefully attended to. This is my view on the subject, and you should at all times consider it in practice.”

While Hsi Jen gave utterance to a sentence, Pao-yü nodded his head in sign of approval of that sentence. Hsi Jen then went on to speak. “I’ve also packed up,” she continued, “your long pelisse, and handed it to the pages to take it over; so mind, when it’s cold in the school-room, please remember to put on this extra clothing, for it’s not like home, where you have people to look after you. The foot-stove and hand-stove, I’ve also sent over; and urge that pack of lazy-bones to attend to their work, for if you say nothing, they will be so engrossed in their frolics, that they’ll be loth to move, and let you, all for nothing, take a chill and ruin your constitution.”

“Compose your mind,” replied Pao-yü; “when I go out, I know well enough how to attend to everything my own self. But you people shouldn’t remain in this room, and mope yourselves to death; and it would be well if you would often go over to cousin Lin’s for a romp.”

While saying this, he had completed his toilette, and Hsi Jen pressed him to go and wish good morning to dowager lady Chia, Chia Cheng, madame Wang, and the other members of the family.

Pao-yü, after having gone on to give a few orders to Ch’ing Wen and She Yueh, at length left his apartments, and coming over, paid his obeisance to dowager lady Chia. Her venerable Ladyship had likewise, as a matter of course, a few recommendations to make to him, which ended, he next went and greeted madame Wang; and leaving again her quarters, he came into the library to wish Chia Cheng good morning.

As it happened, Chia Cheng had on this day returned home at an early hour, and was, at this moment, in the library, engaged in a friendly chat with a few gentlemen, who were family companions. Suddenly perceiving Pao-yü come in to pay his respects, and report that he was about to go to school, Chia Cheng gave a sardonic smile. “If you do again,” he remarked, “make allusions to the words going to school, you’ll make even me blush to death with shame! My advice to you is that you should after all go your own way and play; that’s the best thing for you; and mind you don’t pollute with dirt this floor by standing here, and soil this door of mine by leaning against it!”

The family companions stood up and smilingly expostulated.

“Venerable Sir,” they pleaded, “why need you be so down upon him? Our worthy brother is this day going to school, and may in two or three years be able to display his abilities and establish his reputation. He will, beyond doubt, not behave like a child, as he did in years gone past. But as the time for breakfast is also drawing nigh, you should, worthy brother, go at once.”

When these words had been spoken, two among them, who were advanced in years, readily took Pao-yü by the hand, and led him out of the library.

“Who are in attendance upon Pao-yü?” Chia Cheng having inquired, he heard a suitable reply, “We, Sir!” given from outside; and three or four sturdy fellows entered at an early period and fell on one knee, and bowed and paid their obeisance.

When Chia Cheng came to scrutinise who they were, and he recognised Li Kuei, the son of Pao-yü‘s nurse, he addressed himself to him. “You people,” he said, “remain waiting upon him the whole day long at school, but what books has he after all read? Books indeed! why, he has read and filled his brains with a lot of trashy words and nonsensical phrases, and learnt some ingenious way of waywardness. Wait till I have a little leisure, and I’ll set to work, first and foremost, and flay your skin off, and then settle accounts with that good-for-nothing!”

This threat so terrified Li Kuei that he hastily fell on both his knees, pulled off his hat, knocked his head on the ground, and gave vent to repeated assenting utterances: “Oh, quite so, Sir! Our elder brother Mr. Pao has,” he continued, “already read up to the third book of the Book of Odes, up to where there’s something or other like: ‘Yiu, Yiu, the deer bleat; the lotus leaves and duckweed.’ Your servant wouldn’t presume to tell a lie!”

As he said this, the whole company burst out into a boisterous fit of laughter, and Chia Cheng himself could not also contain his countenance and had to laugh. “Were he even,” he observed, “to read thirty books of the Book of Odes, it would be as much an imposition upon people and no more, as (when the thief) who, in order to steal the bell, stops up his own ears! You go and present my compliments to the gentleman in the schoolroom, and tell him, from my part, that the whole lot of Odes and old writings are of no use, as they are subjects for empty show; and that he should, above all things, take the Four Books, and explain them to him, from first to last, and make him know them all thoroughly by heart,—that this is the most important thing!”

Li Kuei signified his obedience with all promptitude, and perceiving that Chia Cheng had nothing more to say, he retired out of the room.

During this while, Pao-yü had been standing all alone outside in the court, waiting quietly with suppressed voice, and when they came out he at once walked away in their company.

Li Kuei and his companions observed as they shook their clothes, “Did you, worthy brother, hear what he said that he would first of all flay our skins off! People’s servants acquire some respectability from the master whom they serve, but we poor fellows fruitlessly wait upon you, and are beaten and blown up in the bargain. It would be well if we were, from henceforward, to be treated with a certain amount of regard.”

Pao-yü smiled, “Dear Brother,” he added, “don’t feel aggrieved; I’ll invite you to come round to-morrow!”

“My young ancestor,” replied Li Kuei, “who presumes to look forward to an invitation? all I entreat you is to listen to one or two words I have to say, that’s all.”

As they talked they came over once more to dowager lady Chia’s on this side.

Ch’in Chung had already arrived, and the old lady was first having a chat with him. Forthwith the two of them exchanged salutations, and took leave of her ladyship; but Pao-yü, suddenly remembering that he had not said good-bye to Tai-yü, promptly betook himself again to Tai-yü‘s quarters to do so.

Tai-yü was, at this time, below the window, facing the mirror, and adjusting her toilette. Upon hearing Pao-yü mention that he was on his way to school, she smiled and remarked, “That’s right! you’re now going to school and you’ll be sure to reach the lunar palace and pluck the olea fragrans; but I can’t go along with you.”

“My dear cousin,” rejoined Pao-yü, “wait for me to come out from school, before you have your evening meal; wait also until I come to prepare the cosmetic of rouge.”

After a protracted chat, he at length tore himself away and took his departure.

“How is it,” interposed Tai-yü, as she once again called out to him and stopped him, “that you don’t go and bid farewell to your cousin Pao Ch’ai?”

Pao-yü smiled, and saying not a word by way of reply he straightway walked to school, accompanied by Ch’in Chung.

This public school, which it must be noticed was also not far from his quarters, had been originally instituted by the founder of the establishment, with the idea that should there be among the young fellows of his clan any who had not the means to engage a tutor, they should readily be able to enter this class for the prosecution of their studies; that all those of the family who held official position should all give (the institution) pecuniary assistance, with a view to meet the expenses necessary for allowances to the students; and that they were to select men advanced in years and possessed of virtue to act as tutors of the family school.

The two of them, Ch’in Chung and Pao-yü, had now entered the class, and after they and the whole number of their schoolmates had made each other’s acquaintance, their studies were commenced. Ever since this time, these two were wont to come together, go together, get up together, and sit together, till they became more intimate and close. Besides, dowager lady Chia got very fond of Ch’in Chung, and would again and again keep him to stay with them for three and five days at a time, treating him as if he were one of her own great-grandsons. Perceiving that in Ch’in Chung’s home there was not much in the way of sufficiency, she also helped him in clothes and other necessaries; and scarcely had one or two months elapsed before Ch’in Chung got on friendly terms with every one in the Jung mansion.

Pao-yü was, however, a human being who could not practise contentment and observe propriety; and as his sole delight was to have every caprice gratified, he naturally developed a craving disposition. “We two, you and I, are,” he was also wont secretly to tell Ch’in Chung, “of the same age, and fellow-scholars besides, so that there’s no need in the future to pay any regard to our relationship of uncle and nephew; and we should treat each other as brothers or friends, that’s all.”

Ch’in Chung at first (explained that) he could not be so presumptuous; but as Pao-yü would not listen to any such thing, but went on to address him as brother and to call him by his style Ch’ing Ch’ing, he had likewise himself no help, but to begin calling him, at random, anything and anyhow.

There were, it is true, a large number of pupils in this school, but these consisted of the sons and younger brothers of that same clan, and of several sons and nephews of family connections. The proverb appositely describes that there are nine species of dragons, and that each species differs; and it goes of course without saying that in a large number of human beings there were dragons and snakes, confusedly admixed, and that creatures of a low standing were included.

Ever since the arrival of the two young fellows, Ch’in Chung and Pao-yü, both of whom were in appearance as handsome as budding flowers, and they, on the one hand, saw how modest and genial Ch’in Chung was, how he blushed before he uttered a word, how he was timid and demure like a girl, and on the other hand, how that Pao-yü was naturally proficient in abasing and demeaning himself, how he was so affable and good-natured, considerate in his temperament and so full of conversation, and how that these two were, in consequence, on such terms of intimate friendship, it was, in fact, no matter of surprise that the whole company of fellow-students began to foster envious thoughts, that they, behind their backs, passed on their account, this one one disparaging remark and that one another, and that they insinuated slanderous lies against them, which extended inside as well as outside the school-room.

Indeed, after Hsüeh P’an had come over to take up his quarters in madame Wang’s suite of apartments, he shortly came to hear of the existence of a family school, and that this school was mainly attended by young fellows of tender years, and inordinate ideas were suddenly aroused in him. While he therefore fictitiously gave out that he went to school, [he was as irregular in his attendance as the fisherman] who catches fish for three days, and suns his nets for the next two; simply presenting his school-fee gift to Chia Tai-jui and making not the least progress in his studies; his sole dream being to knit a number of familiar friendships. Who would have thought it, there were in this school young pupils, who, in their greed to obtain money, clothes and eatables from Hsüeh P’an, allowed themselves to be cajoled by him, and played tricks upon; but on this topic, it is likewise superfluous to dilate at any length.

There were also two lovable young scholars, relatives of what branch of the family is not known, and whose real surnames and names have also not been ascertained, who, by reason of their good and winsome looks, were, by the pupils in the whole class, given two nicknames, to one that of “Hsiang Lin,” “Fragrant Love,” and to the other “Yü Ai,” “Precious Affection.” But although every one entertained feelings of secret admiration for them, and had the wish to take liberties with the young fellows, they lived, nevertheless, one and all, in such terror of Hsüeh P’an’s imperious influence, that they had not the courage to come forward and interfere with them.

As soon as Ch’in Chung and Pao-yü had, at this time, come to school, and they had made the acquaintance of these two fellow-pupils, they too could not help becoming attached to them and admiring them, but as they also came to know that they were great friends of Hsüeh P’an, they did not, in consequence, venture to treat them lightly, or to be unseemly in their behaviour towards them. Hsiang Lin and Yü Ai both kept to themselves the same feelings, which they fostered for Ch’in Chung and Pao-yü, and to this reason is to be assigned the fact that though these four persons nurtured fond thoughts in their hearts there was however no visible sign of them. Day after day, each one of them would, during school hours, sit in four distinct places: but their eight eyes were secretly linked together; and, while indulging either in innuendoes or in double entendres, their hearts, in spite of the distance between them, reflected the whole number of their thoughts.

But though their outward attempts were devoted to evade the detection of other people’s eyes, it happened again that, while least expected, several sly lads discovered the real state of affairs, with the result that the whole school stealthily frowned their eyebrows at them, winked their eyes at them, or coughed at them, or raised their voices at them; and these proceedings were, in fact, not restricted to one single day.

As luck would have it, on this day Tai-jui was, on account of business, compelled to go home; and having left them as a task no more than a heptameter line for an antithetical couplet, explaining that they should find a sentence to rhyme, and that the following day when he came back, he would set them their lessons, he went on to hand the affairs connected with the class to his elder grandson, Chia Jui, whom he asked to take charge.

Wonderful to say Hsüeh P’an had of late not frequented school very often, not even so much as to answer the roll, so that Ch’in Chung availed himself of his absence to ogle and smirk with Hsiang Lin; and these two pretending that they had to go out, came into the back court for a chat.

“Does your worthy father at home mind your having any friends?” Ch’in Chung was the first to ask. But this sentence was scarcely ended, when they heard a sound of coughing coming from behind. Both were taken much aback, and, speedily turning their heads round to see, they found that it was a fellow-scholar of theirs, called Chin Jung.

Hsiang Lin was naturally of somewhat hasty temperament, so that with shame and anger mutually impelling each other, he inquired of him, “What’s there to cough at? Is it likely you wouldn’t have us speak to each other?”

“I don’t mind your speaking,” Chin Jung observed laughing; “but would you perchance not have me cough? I’ll tell you what, however; if you have anything to say, why not utter it in intelligible language? Were you allowed to go on in this mysterious manner, what strange doings would you be up to? But I have sure enough found you out, so what’s the need of still prevaricating? But if you will, first of all, let me partake of a share in your little game, you and I can hold our tongue and utter not a word. If not, why the whole school will begin to turn the matter over.”

At these words, Ch’in Chung and Hsiang Lin were so exasperated that their blood rushed up to their faces. “What have you found out?” they hastily asked.

“What I have now detected,” replied Chin Jung smiling, “is the plain truth!” and saying this he went on to clap his hands and to call out with a loud voice as he laughed: “They have moulded some nice well-baked cakes, won’t you fellows come and buy one to eat!” (These two have been up to larks, won’t you come and have some fun!)

Both Ch’in Chung and Hsiang Lin felt resentful as well as fuming with rage, and with hurried step they went in, in search of Chia Jui, to whom they reported Chin Jung, explaining that Chin Jung had insulted them both, without any rhyme or reason.

The fact is that this Chia Jui was, in an extraordinary degree, a man with an eye to the main chance, and devoid of any sense of propriety. His wont was at school to take advantage of public matters to serve his private interest, and to bring pressure upon his pupils with the intent that they should regale him. While subsequently he also lent his countenance to Hsüeh P’an, scheming to get some money or eatables out of him, he left him entirely free to indulge in disorderly behaviour; and not only did he not go out of his way to hold him in check, but, on the contrary, he encouraged him, infamous though he was already, to become a bully, so as to curry favour with him.

But this Hsüeh P’an was, by nature, gifted with a fickle disposition; to-day, he would incline to the east, and to-morrow to the west, so that having recently obtained new friends, he put Hsiang Lin and Yü Ai aside. Chin Jung too was at one time an intimate friend of his, but ever since he had acquired the friendship of the two lads, Hsiang Lin and Yü Ai, he forthwith deposed Chin Jung. Of late, he had already come to look down upon even Hsiang Lin and Yü Ai, with the result that Chia Jui as well was deprived of those who could lend him support, or stand by him; but he bore Hsüeh P’an no grudge, for wearying with old friends, as soon as he found new ones, but felt angry that Hsiang Lin and Yü Ai had not put in a word on his behalf with Hsüeh P’an. Chia Jui, Chin Jung and in fact the whole crowd of them were, for this reason, just harbouring a jealous grudge against these two, so that when he saw Ch’in Chung and Hsiang Lin come on this occasion and lodge a complaint against Chin Jung, Chia Jui readily felt displeasure creep into his heart; and, although he did not venture to call Ch’in Chung to account, he nevertheless made an example of Hsiang Lin. And instead (of taking his part), he called him a busybody and denounced him in much abusive language, with the result that Hsiang Lin did not, contrariwise, profit in any way, but brought displeasure upon himself. Even Ch’in Chung grumbled against the treatment, as each of them resumed their places.
描述
快速回复

您目前还是游客,请 登录注册