• 5907阅读
  • 11回复

中高级篇第七册课文文本

级别: 管理员
LESSON 1 IT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT STORY.

Jake: In business news, stock prices are up. International Computer Key Company is up two dollars, but no one knows why.
WEFL is investigating International Computer. We will report on the company in tomorrow's "Business Update".
Thanks for being with us for WEFL's morning "Business Update". I'm Jake Seltzer. Goodbye for now.
Steven: Good job, Jake. Here are some of your stories for tomorrow.
Jake: Now wait, Steven. I need a minute of your time.
Steven: Jake, I'm off to the doctor right now. Can it wait?
Jake: I know you're busy and hate to bother you, Steven, but this is important.
Steven: It's not as important as my doctor's appointment. . . OK. One minute.
Jake: Why is Abbott Larkin in Stamford now ?
Steven: The president of International Computer? What's he doing here?
Jake: He's staying at the Stamford Hotel.
Steven: So what? What's so important?
Jake: He's meeting with James Brady right now.
Steven: What?
Jake: Larkin's talking to James Brady, the president of NIT.
Steven: I don't understand. What does that mean?
Jake: James Brady and Abbott Larkin are meeting in secret.
They're making a deal, and I think it's an important story. I want an interview with Larkin.
Steven: Why?
Jake: Larkin's company is losing money now. Larkin needs more customers. I think he's selling his company to James Brady. That's why he's here now.
Steven: NIT is buying Larkin's company? I like that story.
Jake: Do you realize it's one of the biggest mergers in history?
Steven: I love it!
Jake: What's Mike doing now?
Steven: He's busy. He's lighting the new set now. He needs more time to finish.
Jake: This is more important, Steven.
Steven: OK. I want you to go to the hotel right now. Find Larkin. I'll send Mike with a camera. Mike, I need you.
Mike: What's up?
Steven: Jake's going to the Stamford Hotel. I want you to follow him with a camera. Hurry.
Mike: I hate to leave now, Steven. I'm lighting the new set.
Steven: I realize that, Mike. Believe me. It's important.
Mike: I'm on my way.
Steven: Oh, no. I have to run.
Steven: Maria, I have to run.
Maria : You look busy.
Steven: I am. Can you help Jake? He's at the Stamford Hotel. He's looking for Abbott Larkin, President of International Computer.
Maria : Abbott Larkin? In Stamford? That seems odd.
Steven: It does seem odd. He's talking about a merger with NIT.
Maria : It sounds like a good story.
Steven: It sounds like a great story. And I'm late for a doctor's appointment. Anne and I have to see the doctor about the baby.
Maria : That's right, Anne's pregnant. How does she feel?
Steven: Not good. She feels sick. You know.
Maria : How do you feel?
Steven: I'm afraid. Babies scare me. Does that seem silly?
Maria : No, it doesn't seem silly, Steven. I think it's normal. Take care of Anne. I'll help Jake.
Steven: Thanks.
只看该作者 1 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 2 HE'S FLYING SOMEWHERE TODAY. . .

Mike: Stand by. Three, two, one.
Jake: Where's Abbott Larkin? That's the question at the Stamford Hotel this morning.
The President of International Computer was in the Soviet Union last week. He was in the Bahamas on Monday. He was in Rome yesterday.
Why is he in Stamford today talking with James Brady, president of NIT? Is he discussing a merger?
OK, Mike. Cut. I don't know if we can use that. We can use it if we catch Abbott Larkin.
Mike: Let's look for him.
Jake: Did you see Larkin? Do you have the picture?
Mike: No, I just saw the car drive away. I didn't see Larkin. Where's he going now?
Jake: He's traveling. Larkin told me I could ask the travel agent for his flight plans. He said he might talk to me tomorrow. I'm going to see the travel agent now.
Mike: Good idea.
Jake: I'll meet you here in an hour.
Travel Agent: That's what it's showing. And then it connects at 4: 45. . . and gets into White Plains at 6: 24. . . Well, that's what it's showing. . . Yeah, because the next one is at 6: 50 from Saginaw.
That gets into Detroit at 7: 35. So it's a very similar... You're all set. I'll get seats and I'll put this one your American Express. . . . Um-hmm. . . It has to be ticketed this week.
Jake: I need to find Abbot Larkin. He's flying somewhere today, maybe to Dallas or St.Louis on TWA. Try St.Louis.
Travel Agent: All right. Well, let me check what flights are available that are going out this afternoon.
Travel Agent: There's a TW flight leaving LaGuardia at 3: 35, arriving St.Louis at 5: 25.
Jake: Is he on that flight?
Travel Agent: I cannot tell you that. I would have to call up TWA
Jake: Well, can we do that?
Travel Agent: Certainly can.
Travel Agent: This is Marion at Prospect Travel. Could you display your Flight 119, LaGuardia--St.Louis, for Larkin, L-a-r-k-i-n, first initial A or Abbott? . . . You're not showing anything?
Jake: It would be later today, then.
Travel Agent: OK, uh, would you. . . No, no, that's OK. . . Would you please check, uh, Flight 361. . . At 3: 35 today? . . . Yes. . . Yes, same person. . . Yes. . . A. Larkin? . . .
Right. And you show he is confirmed on 361 leaving at 3: 35 from LaGuardia, arriving St.Louis at 5: 43? 
Jake: Is he going to Dallas?
Travel Agent: Do you show him continuing on to Dallas? . . . He is. And what--Do you show any further reservations for him? . . .
So he is, um, leaving from LaGuardia today to St.Louis, and then continuing tomorrow from St.Louis to Dallas? . . . OK, thank you very much. . . You're welcome. Bye.
Jake: So what's his schedule?
Travel Agent: He is on TW Flight 361 today, the 26th, leaving LaGuardia at 3: 53, arriving St.Louis at 5: 43. . 
And tomorrow he is continuing on TW Flight 551, leaving Dallas at 11: 55, and arriving--I mean, leaving St.Louis at 11: 55 and arriving Dallas at 1: 45.
Jake: So he's going to St.Louis first?
Travel Agent: He's going to St.Louis today and Dallas tomorrow from St.Louis.
Jake: Will I get there before he does?
Travel Agent: You are leaving on the 27th, tomorrow, from LaGuardia on American 295 at 7: 30 A.M. and arriving in Dallas at 10: 08.
Jake: Great. Thank you very much. That's just exactly what I need. You're terrific .
Jake: Mike, I found Larkin. He's staying in St. Louis tonight. He's flying to Dallas in the morning.
He's leaving at 11 :55 A.M. We're leaving at 7:30A.M. We're arriving at 10:08. We can interview him at the airport.
Mike: OK, Jake. But what does Steven think? And will Maria pay for the trip?
Jake: Let's find out.
Jake: First, Abbott Larkin goes to St. Louis. He says overnight in St.Louis. He leaves St.Louis tomorrow morning and arrives in Dallas at 1:45 p.m.
We leave tomorrow morning at 7: 30 A.M. on an American Airlines flight and arrive in Dallas at 10: 08 a.m. We get there first and interview Larkin at the airport.
Maria : I don't understand. What does this story mean?
Jake: Abbott Larkin has the biggest computer company in the Midwest. James Brady has the biggest computer company in the East.
Together, they control most of the country. They can grow in the West--California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
And they also have business in Europe, Scandinavia, and South America. It's one of the biggest mergers in history. I have to go to Dallas, Maria.
Maria : No. I don't like it.
只看该作者 2 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 3 IT'S ONE OF THE BIGGEST BUSINESS STORIES OF THE YEAR.
TEXT
Jake: I have to convince Maria. I need a big story. If I can find Abbott Larkin at the airport, I'll have the biggest business story of the year.
If I don't find him, Maria will be pretty upset, and I'll feel pretty stupid. But I have to try.
Jake: Maria, I need to see you.
Maria : I'm on the phone, Jake.
Jake: It's important.
Maria : Sam, I'll call you back. Bye.
Jake: Maria, you're wrong about this story.
Jake: It's good. I need to go to Dallas.
Maria : How will you find Larkin?
Jake: I can interview him at the airport in Dallas.
Maria : It's too expensive. And who will be the host tomorrow ?
Jake: Connie can be the host, Maria. This is a good story. It's real news.
Maria : Are you sure, Jake?
Jake: Yes, I am sure, Maria. Can I go to Dallas?
Maria : OK, Jake. But bring back a story.
Jake: No problem.
Connie : This is "Hello America". I'm Connie Swift for Jake Seltzer, who is in Dallas, Texas , with an important business story.
Jake: It's one of the biggest business stories of the year. In an exclusive WEFL interview, Abbott Larkin, President of International Computer, announced a merger with NIT.
Jake: Mr. Larkin, I'm Jake Seltzer of WEFL television. We know you're meeting with James Brady of NIT.
What do you think about a merger between NIT and International Computer?
Larkin : What?
Jake: Are you thinking about a merger between the two companies?
Larkin : Well, yes. I think I can tell you now. You're the first to know about the merger between International Computer and NIT.
I'm proud to say that this is one of the largest mergers in history. It's also one of the best.
Jake: When are you closing the deal?
Larkin : So the merger takes place next month?
Larkin : Yes. It'll take place in December.
Jake: You seem happy about the merger.
Larkin : I'm very happy. NIT and International Computer will become one of the biggest and best computer companies in the world.
Jake: I know. I understand that you're going to be President of the new company?
Larkin : Yes. Yes, I take over as President in January.
Jake: Where will the new company be located?
Larkin : We'll move the new company to the Midwest in February.
Jake: This is one of the largest mergers in history--a merger between International Computer and NIT.
Next month Larkin and Brady close the deal. The merger takes place in December. Larkin takes ove as President in January.
In February, the new company moves to the Midwest. This is Jake Seltzer reporting form Dallas, Texas.
只看该作者 3 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 4 I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO MY VACATION.

TEXT
Jake: In February, the new company moves to the Midwest. This is Jake Seltzer reporting from Dallas, Texas.
Maria : Good job, Jake.
Connie : Jake did very well.
Maria : Yes. He did very well. He's already a good host. I think Jake is becoming a much better reporter too.
Connie : That's good. You need some help. You look tired.
Maria : I am tired. I'm looking forward to my vacation.
Connie : Vacation? That's great, Maria. You should quit worrying about WEFL. Where are you going?
Maria : I'm going asking in Colorado. I can imagine skiing through deep snow on a cold morning.
I imagine warming my feet near the fire. I love walking in the snow. I think about--
Connie : Stop talking about it.
Maria : I really enjoy skiing.
Connie : Are you going alone?
Maria : Yes, but I'm seeing friends in Aspen.
Connie : Who?
Maria : Sam Finch wants me to ski with him. He's going there for a conference.
Connie : I've seen him at the station, but I don't know him. Tell me about him.
Maria : Well, he's a businessman. He over part of WEFL. He has a meeting in Aspen. He's a very nice guy.
Connie : That's great, Maria. I'd like to go to Aspen too.
Maria : Yeah, but right now we have a show to do. What's your story?

Connie : The story is about education and jobs. I'm going to interview high school students this afternoon about their plans for the future.
Maria : OK. Let me see.
Connie : Education and jobs. That's the subject of this report. Almost three million students will graduate from American high schools this year.
Half of them want jobs now. They need to work. Maybe they can't go to college. Maybe they have to earn money.
All of them have to plan their future. And they have to do it now. What will they do? Today we're going inside Stamford High School to find out.
Connie : OK, Mik e. Let's go inside. I want to shoot some pictures of students in the classroom, and then I want to interview some of the students.
Connie : OK. What are your hopes for the future? What do you want to do when you graduate from high school or college. . . ? Yes?
Student 1: I hope to join the Peace Corps and do, uh, research or field work in India. I speak Hindi and I'd like--I hope to learn a language a bit more proficiently.
Connie : And what do you hope to do?
Student 2: Um. . . I want to. . . I hope to become an astronaut, hopefully. . . um. . . or some kind of scientist dealing with space and astronomy in particular. . .
Connie : Do you want to land on the moon?
Student 2: Yes, I want to land on the moon.
Connie : That's interesting, but do you want to work that hard?
Student 2: Well, I don't want to work that hard, but I'm going to have to. If I want to. . . if I get my dream. So. .
Connie : What do you plan to do when you graduate from high school?
Student 3: When I graduate from high school, I'd like to go to. . . go to college and try to get a job in a large company to become an accountant and make a lot of money and just live well off.
Student 4: I plan to be a social worker
Connie : My best friend is a social worker. . . . What do you want to do?
Student 5: Well, I want to be in the NFL playing football and have my own business.
Connie : What do you want to do?

Student 6: I'm not really sure. I want to go on to college, and I want to study fine arts.
Student 7: I imagine coaching high school football.
Connie : What do you enjoy?
Student 8: I enjoy athletics. I enjoy playing field hockey and doing gymnastics. Um. . . I enjoy reading.
Uh. . . I like to read fiction. I don't like. . . um. . . I don't enjoy science fiction, but. . . um. . . any other kind of fiction I enjoy.
Student 9: I want to teach English.
Connie : That's terrific .
Connie : OK, Mike. Great interviews! Are you ready?
Connie : In our next report, we'll find out what students really like and don't like. What's interesting, what's exciting, and what's boring. I'm Connie Swift reporting for WEFL.
只看该作者 4 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 5 I'M EXCITED ABOUT THIS STORY.

TEXT
Connie : I was surprised. The students in this school are impressive. They're excited by school. They're interested in learning. And their teachers are terrific .
Teacher: Well, the thing that I find most interesting about this school is our very, very diverse student body. We have people of all ethnic backgrounds, of all economic backgrounds, all social backgrounds, getting together for--
from 7: 30in the morning until 2: 00 in the afternoon and doing what I think is re--we do remarkably well together.
Connie : How interesting!
Teacher: Yes. Interesting. It. . . teaching is the most interesting thing, the most interesting career anybody could have.
I never am bored. The day passes by quickly. I deal with hundreds of different personalities all day.
It's an exciting life, and I cannot see anybody who thinks that teaching is dull. I don't understand it. . . don't understand it. . . at all.
Connie : What interests you?
Student 1: I'm interested in, um, art. Painting in particular, impressionist painting.
Student 2: I'm interested in music.
Student 3: I'm interested in playing the guitar. I just started taking lessons about two weeks ago.
Connie : But there are still some things students don't like. Remember homework?

Student 4: I think homework is really boring. I'm just so bored by it. I mean, ther are so many other things I'd rather do instead, and so I just don't like it.
Connie : This is Connie Swift, reporting from Stamford High School.
Connie : I'm excited about this story. I'd like to do a series of reports on education and jobs.
Maria : I'm interested. It's a good story, Connie. I have to go downstairs and see Steven.
Connie : OK. Thanks, Maria.
Connie : Isn't that Sam Finch?
Maria : Oh, yes.
Connie : You have his picture? Maria, what's going on?
Maria : I think he's fascinating. We went to dinner last week, and we had a wonderful time. He's really very interesting.
Connie : How nice. I'm happy for you.
Connie : I hope you won't be disappointed in As pen, Maria.
只看该作者 5 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 6 STEVEN, I WANT YOU TO BE PRODUCER WHILE I'M GONE.

TEXT
Maria : Hi, Steven.
Steven: Hello, Maria.
Maria : Steven, I want to talk to you about my vacation.
Steven: Your vacation? How nice.
Maria : Steven, I want you to be producer while I'm gone.
Steven: That's interesting. . . It could be very interesting if you don't return on time.
Maria : What do you mean?
Steven: Well, the baby is due in a month, and I need some time off.
Maria : I thought of that, Steven. I plan to return before the baby is due.
Steven: Well, thank you. I'd like to do it, but. . .
Maria : What, Steven?
Steven: I'm already very busy, Maria. How can I direct and produce at the same time?
Maria : I don't know. What do you think?
Steven: I'd like Mike to be director. He's very good.
Maria : Hmmm. I agree. That's a good idea, Steven. By the way, the job pays more. You get an extra $ 500.
Steven: That's great. Thanks, Maria. I can use it. But please, be sure to be back before the baby arrives.
Maria : I will.
Steven: And don't forget to leave your phone number.
Maria : OK, Steven. But don't call me.
Steven: And one other very important thing.
Maria : What?
Steven: Enjoy your vacation.
Jake: Now, the first in a series of reports on education and jobs by WEFL reporter Connie Swift.
Connie : Education and jobs. That's the subject of this report. This week we're going inside Stamford High School to find out what today's students are studying and what they think they'll do in the future.
What will high school students face when they graduate? And what are their plans? What they will face is more competition. 2, 750, 000 high school students will receive their diplomas this year.
About half of them will go to college. What will students at this school do? Today we're going inside Stamford High School to find out. Some students want to go into science or business.
Student: I imagine myself, um. . . landing on the moon. I want to be an astronaut
Student 2: When I--after I graduate from high school, I'd like to go to college and major in, um, business
administration. . .
Because, um, I enjoy telling people what to do and. . . uh. . . I really like power. So, that's what. . . that's what I want to do.
Connie : But more school is the last thing some students want.
Student 3: My SAT math class is so boring. My teacher, he's Mr. --, he is a character. And, uh, I just sit there, and I'm--I'm just falling asleep in class, and I, ugh, I can't stand it.
Very bored. It's the worst. I hate going to that class. I hate it.
Connie : A few are undecided.
Student 4: I don't know and I'm not sure what I want to do, something with business.
Connie : Some students are fascinated by sports.
Student 5: I'm really interested in sports. I like volleyball and gymnastics, which I do most of the year. I also like watching sports on TV.
I love watching football--NFL football on TV, especially the Giants. Um. . . but I'm really interested in sports and that's basically it.
Connie : And many Stamford students love children.
Student 6: I'm very interested in little children, and I enjoy being with them and just . . . it's, it's so interesting to see. . . just how they think and what kinds of things they respond to.
Student 7: I feel that child psychology is something that I'd enjoy doing. And I find it fascinating.
Connie : I find these students fascinating. This is Connie Swift, reporting from Stamford High School for WEFL.
只看该作者 6 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 7 THEY SERVE INEXPENSIVE FOOD TO PEOPLE.

Steven: Are you ready to go?
Mike: Almost.
Steven: I'm glad you're directing this story, Mike.
Mike: I'm glad to help, Steven. . . I have a question on page 3.
Steven: Let me see.
Mike: Will Jake pour the coffee for me, or do I need someone else?
Steven: Let's see. . . Someone pours coffee. Then we see Jake. . . I don't know. Let's ask Jake.
Mike: What about the sodas? Doesn't she pour five sodas for us at once?
Steven: Here, on the next page. I'll be right back.
Mike: Jake, what's this story about?
Jake: Fast food. Most Americans visit a fast-food restaurant once a week. They serve inexpensive food to people. They serve it quickly in a clean little restaurant. People like it.
Mike: Why do we shoot pictures of pouring and serving?
Jake: This part of the story is on why fast-food restaurants are efficient.
Mike: What happens on page 3?
Jake: OK. I order a soda and a hamburger for myself. Then another person gets coffee for me.
Mike: Who brings the coffee to you?
Jake: No one. They give it to me at the counter. But that doesn't matter. I need some good pictures for narration. Find some good pictures for me.
Mike: So you don't need to be there?
Jake: I'll read an introduction. Then you and the cameraperson shoot some great pictures. Look for great close-ups. Find some good pictures for me.
Cashier : May I have your order?
Customer: Yeah. Could I have two cheeseburgers?
Cashier : Two cheeseburgers.
Cashier : With everything?
Customer: Yes, please.
Cashier : Will that be all?
Customer: Uh, large fries.
Cashier : Large fry.
Cashier : Would you like ketchup, sir?
Customer: Uh, yeah.
Cashier : Salt and pepper?
Customer: Yeah.
Cashier : There you go.
Customer: Thank you.
Cashier : You're welcome. Anything to drink?
Customer: I'd like a chocolate shake.
Cashier : Small, medium, or large?
Customer: Large.
Cashier : Will that be all?
Customer: Yes.
Cashier : For here, right?
Customer: Yes.
Cashier : $4. 31, please. Out of
Cashier : 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 69 makes 20. Thank you.
Mike: OK. Is the camera on? I give the order to the cashier. The cashier gives the order to the cook. She just hits a button. So we'll shoot close-ups.
Smile for the camera.
The cook sees the order.
The cook gives the order to the cashier.
Someone pours a soda for the customer.
The cashier serves the order to the customer.
只看该作者 7 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 8 HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN HIM?

Maria : Mike! I'm so happy that you're directing.
Mike: I'm glad to help. I'll do anything to make you take a vacation. You need it, Maria.
Maria : Maybe you'll like directing.
Mike: I'm happy to help Steven and Connie. But I love cameras. I'm not a director.
Maria : Oh, come on. Everyone is ambitious. You'll be a good director.
Mike: Maybe. But only for two weeks . . . How long have you known me, Maria?
Maria : I've known you for six years, I think.
Mike: You've known me for ten years, Maria. You've known me since I lived in St. Louis. Remember? I always loved to shoot pictures .
Maria : I've known you since St. Louis? Well, OK, that's a long time. You were a good photographer. And you can be a good director too.
Mike: I love to shoot pictures . I'm not a director. I'll help Steven, but I want my old job as cameraperson.
Maria : Well, I love having you here, Mike. And thanks for helping.
Connie : Take one. . . Three, two, one. This is Connie Swift with the second in our series on education and jobs.
Most Americans follow the same career all their lives. My first job was at a newspaper. I've reported the news for five years.
We decided to ask people this question, "How long have you had your job?" We asked, "What do you do? How long have you done it? "
OK, cut. Thanks , Mike. By the way, how long have you been a cameraman?
Mike: I've been in television for ten years, since I left the army. And I still love it.
Pat: I've been a banker since 1982.
Jill: I've been a housewife for five years.
Bernard: I've been an accountant since 1970.
Beth: I'm unemployed. I haven't worked for six months.
Peter: I've been a carpenter for sixteen years.
Doc: I owned my own business, but I sold it and retired last year.
Lyman: I've been retired since May of last year.
Derek: I've been unemployed since last summer.
Maria : Where's Steven? He's very late.
Connie : Since his wife got pregnant, he's been very busy. Let's begin without him.
Maria : No. He has to do this story with you. I'm leaving, remember?
Connie : When do you leave?
Maria : I leave tomorrow evening.
Connie : We have so much to do. You can't leave tomorrow.
Maria : I've had these airplane reservations since August, Connie. I'm leaving tomorrow.
Connie : We'd better wait for Steven. Is Sam Finch meeting you in Denver?
Maria : No. He's meeting me in Aspen. We're skiing together on Thursday morning.
Connie : How long have you known him?
Maria : Oh, I've known him for a long time.
Connie : How long?
Maria : Well, let's see. He's been in New York for three years. I knew him for five years in St.Louis. So, we've known each other for eight or nine years.
Connie : This sounds serious.
Maria : We're very good friends. I like him, but I'm not sure if it's serious. I'll find out in Aspen.
只看该作者 8 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 9 I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE 9: 00 THIS MORNING.

Maria : OK. Let's start. Let's see pictures from the fast-food restaurant.
Jake: I have them here.
Maria : Wait. Where's my script?
Jake: I handed the script to you this morning.
Maria : No, you didn't.
Jake: Yes, I did. I handed you the script before this meeting.
Maria : Then where is it?
Jake: Look in your bag.
Maria : Oh. Here it is. I guess you did give it to me. . You haven't finished the story.
Jake: No, I haven't. I've been busy with something else. I've worked on it for three hours, and it's still not right.
Maria : Tell me about it. We'll look at the pictures.
Jake: We're talking about efficiency. Why pour one soda for one customer, when you can pour five sodas for five customers?
Maria : That's a good picture.
Jake: The cashier hits one button. This gives the order to the cook. . . Another person gets the drinks for the customer. Then she puts the food into a bag.
The result is lower cost and fast food. They fixed this meal for me in three minutes. It only cost $4. 00. People like it. Add it all up and it's a billion dollar business.
Maria : It looks OK. Let me see it when you're finished.
Maria : Oh, excuse me. I have a phone call. Hello. Steven, where have you been?
Steven: I've been at the doctor's office.
Maria : At the doctor's office? You're still there?
Steven: Yes, I've been here forever.
Maria : How long have you been there?
Steven: I've been here since 9: 00 this morning.
Maria : I don't understand. You've been there for three hours. Is everything all right? How's Anne?
Steven: She's fine, but the baby may come early. I have to go. I'll be there in an hour.
Maria : OK. Bye.
Maria : Steven's at the doctor's office with Anne. He'll be here in an hour.
Jake: How's Anne?
Maria : Fine. The doctor thinks the baby may come early.
Jake: Yeah. The day before you return.
Steven: We haven't worked together very often, Connie. I'm looking forward to it.
Connie : So am I, Steven. How is Anne? You know, I've never met her.
Steven: You'd like her. She was a reporter in Dallas.
Connie : A television reporter?
Steven: No, a newspaper reporter.
Connie : How long have you been married?
Steven: We've been married for over a year now.
Connie : Only a year?
Steven: Yes. It's been a busy year.
Connie : Murder at Midnight was very good.
Steven: Yes. We're producing some new shows next spring. I love doing "Murder at Midnight". That's why I've stayed at WEFL.
Connie : How long have you worked here?
Steven: I've worked here for almost seven years. I've been a director for five years. I was a writer for two years.
Connie : Well, I have to finish my story on holiday travel.
Steven: And I have to make a phone call. See you later, Connie.
只看该作者 9 发表于: 2008-02-16
LESSON 10  Have you bought a baby blanket yet?

TEXT
Mike: Are you ready, Steven? It's almost noon.
Steven: Hang on. I have one more phone call to make.
Steven: Hi, Anne. How are you? Has the plumber been there yet?
Anne: Yes.
Steven: He's already been there? That's great!
Anne: Yeah, but the pipe broke and flooded the basement.
Steven: Oh, no! I'll be right home.
Anne: You don't need to come home. He's already fixed the pipe.
Steven: He's already fixed it? That's great. Was there any damage?
Anne: I don't think so. I'm cleaning it up now.
Steven: You're terrific , honey. Has he given you the bill yet?
Anne: Yes. Here it is. . Oh, no!
Steven: What?
Anne: Three hundred dollars.
Steven: I'll talk to you later, Anne.
Anne: What's wrong?
Steven: Oh, nothing. We have to go.
Mike: It can wait, Steven. What's wrong?
Steven: I have to do all these things before the baby comes . I just don't have the time.
Mike: Maybe I can help. Let's see what you've already done and what you still need to do. Have you bought a baby blanket yet?
Steven: Yes, I've already bought two--a pink one and a blue one.
Mike: That's good. Let's see. Have you bought a crib yet? That's pretty important.
Steven: Yes.
Mike: Have you bought diapers and bottles yet? Maybe I can do that.
Steven: No. I've already bought diapers and bottles.
Mike: How about clothes for the baby?
Steven: I haven't bought any clothes yet. Anne wants to wait till after the baby is born. What I really need to buy is a baby carriage.
Mike: You haven't bought a baby carriage yet? Maybe I can help.
Steven: Yes. Maybe we can do that tomorrow.
Mike: How about the baby's room?
Steven: I've already carpeted the room. I've already bought wallpaper, but I haven't put it up yet.
Mike: Maybe I can help you with the baby's room.
Steven: That would be great. And, oh, yes . I've already bought earplugs.
Mike: Earplugs? For a baby?
Steven: No, for me. I hear that babies cry all night.
Mike: You've already bought earplugs. It sounds like you are definitely ready for the baby. Now let's go. We're late.
Connie : Let me tell you about my story. It's about holiday travel.
Maria : I'd like to know about holiday travel.
Connie : I'm going to interview people about their travel plans. I can interview you at the airport.
Maria : You'll have to find me first. The airports are so crowded!
Connie : Exactly. Millions of people fly on the busiest days from the three New York airports: LaGuardia Airport, Newark Airport, and Kennedy Airport.
Maria : What are the busiest days?
Connie : Thanksgiving and Christmas are the busiest holidays. Everyone goes home, goes skiing in the mountains, or goes south to Florida.
Maria : Then the snowstorms arrive. When the weather is bad, nothing moves.
Connie : It's terrible when it snows.
Maria : People are late getting to work after their vacations.
Connie : Don't get snowed-in in Colorado. Steven will be very upset.
描述
快速回复

您目前还是游客,请 登录注册