• 32144阅读
  • 394回复

压码鉴赏与评析外语教学法系列《七个外语成功者》为你解惑

级别: 管理员
只看该作者 20 发表于: 2010-05-24
An intuitive Learner: Ann 9
1.1.5 Nonverbal communication
n Rhinos and zebras. . Intuition.
‘You don’t just take in sounds,’ I said by way of summary. ‘At the same time, you’re
taking in what’s going on along with the sounds - the meanings.’
‘Yes. Part of it is that I intensely desire to communicate with fellow human
beings. But it’s not only with people. I talk to the dog at home. And the dog
responds,’ she said matter-of-factly. ‘You may laugh when I tell you this, but I’ve
talked to a zebra. I talked to him, and I taught him to do a trick. I taught him to
kick with a sugar cube. I gave each of the children a sugar cube, and they kicked,
and I said to the zebra, “Come on over if you want a sugar cube, but you have to
kick first.” He came on over and put his nose through, but I said, “No, you have to
kick first.” He backed off, he kicked, and then he came and got his sugar cube.
Another time a rhinoceros and I had a conversation, and the children who were with
me just . . . It was fantastic . . . He was responding . But my point is, I can
communicate - animal-to-animal communication. I don’t know what it is I’m telling
you, but I know it exists. I can demonstrate it.’
‘A kind of communication which can make use of language, but which doesn’t
basically depend on it.’
‘Yes, it doesn’t necessarily depend on understanding the words or the grammar of
a language.’
‘In that hotel in India, at the same time you were taking in the sounds of the
language, through another channel you were taking in the meanings.’
‘Yes. I think there’s a . . . I don’t know what to call it. Shall we say “psychic
feedback”?’
‘You mean the information - the meanings - are coming in, but you’re not
consciously aware of just how, or even when?’
‘Something like that. Yes.’
‘And you also have, at the same time, to a much greater degree than most people,
the ability to . . . to get back the sounds, whether you understand them or not.’
‘Yes.’
‘And your mind is actively relating to both these channels at once.’
‘Oh, yes! I’m an active participator!’
Comments
Ann was right! Most people I have told about the zebra and the rhinoceros have
either laughed, or at least smiled skeptically.

如何进行压码翻译课文文章?
   压码翻译有压码音译,压码意译。
   压码音译:你发现经过压码看电影写汉语日记,只要大量的练习看电影写下故事情节汉语日记,英语思维过程的表达方式连接词的汉语日记,英语连接词英语日记,压码看清等练习,只要进行大量练习,你会发现任何语言的语音都是汉语意思相同,语音也相同的直接音译的变音。你在看100种外语的同样一个翻译的文章,比如我给大家准备的如何实现外语书写系统的文章,我讲英语分别翻译成了50个国家的语言,而这个各种外语,你可以通过翻译软件的拼音功能换成各国语言的拼音文本,我们都提供了范例。
  你会发现有大量英语类的外语占到全部外语种类的大多数,你看着各种外语的翻译外语文本你可能发现第一看的外语的确是不能理解的,但是你只要采用各种外语文本的拼音文本进行阅读,你突然发现自己对于一篇相同内容的文章的各国外语,除了那些特殊字母符号的外语比如印地语、阿拉伯、俄语外竟然都能理解了。这个发现,会是你大吃一惊。如果说看电影,不论任何语言的电影,我们可以通过看视频画面的故事情节理解,讲礼节的画面写下汉语日记就能理解记忆了,你只要练习一次就可以明白了,任何人任何语言都能做到看电影写压码汉语日记。
   如果你看英语的电影、电视或者大学国外电视课程、英语述评脱口秀,英语报纸文章,通过连环朗读跟读等方法直接做到一遍看懂电影电视,你可能还好理解一些。我练习过压码看电影以后,很多没有学习过的外语电影实际上是可以看懂的,有时甚至还不知道是什么外语的名称也是这样,有的一部电影有20多种外语,也能理解。但是你换上一个从来都没有接触的外语,英语类总共有253种外语呢,读音和文本都是不一样的,你怎么可以直接看懂不同外语的文章呢,尽管是同样文章的翻译各种外语文章,但是我竟然一次理解了50种外语阅读文章,只是逐步理解,还没有达到精确理解的程度。原来英语类文章和英语读音都是直接的变音,直接看原文还没有意识到那些文字字母变音了;但是通过拼音文章一看就全部外语第一次理解了,这就极大地提高了对多种外语的兴趣。原来英语进行压码注音的那些注音文本,都是一个语音之写下一个读音的声母就可以精确定位语音,只能是这样,而不是另外的变音和连读,这样其他英语类外语,本质上就是这些语音的拼音注音对理解起到了作用。
   我甚至余兴大发,将韩语和俄语的500常用单词都进行了汉语意思相同,读音也相同的直接音译。我将100种外语的一个单词进行了音译翻译,全部写下啦汉语的语音意思和各种外语相同的音译。音译只要你练习一定量的压码看电影以后,听到英语就能听出汉语的读音来,你就直接可以听懂了英语的语音意思。所以你练习什么外语对于其他外语的提高都是正相关的。这是你可以对任何单词短句子,进行汉语直译练习。
   我又有一个发现,这个安小姐都不会做到。任何可以有打字输入法的外语,你都可以用汉语拼音来想着输入不同的外语输入法进行打字练习,特别是那些印地语、阿拉伯语之类的外语字母符号系统不同的外语,我一天四个小时就将现有的100多种外语中不同的字母符号的外语输入了一遍,我可以用不同的外语写自己的汉语拼音的外语读书日记,一边打字各种外语,一边根据当时情况的体会写下日记,将那些连写的现象,都标示出来,原来看不懂的每一笔打字输入都发生已经打字过字体变化之一现象的问题就解决了。实际上非英语类的外语主要是各种俄语类西里尔字母比较多,印地语类的只有14种常用外语,其他英语类的字母都是基本一样的个别字母变化,就不用打字输入练习了。你看印地语文本看不懂里面变化的字体,阿拉伯语也是这样,而且里面的字体还可以调大一些看得清楚。我将各种外语的打字输入范例都发送到论坛上,你可以直接按照英语字母表的顺序输入各种汉语拼音的其他外语字母符号,练习各种键盘的打字输入记忆,你可以打字出来你想的语音看看各种外语输入法下会出现什么字体,这样你就可以写下任何可以有外语输入法的各种外语的文章体会帖子了,
   这一点在遇到一位无缘无故骂人的人就有其突出。我在哪里写帖子,没有时间打理哪位捣乱的人,但是他竟然骂了我一个小时,我实在受不了,我用100种外语开始骂人,开始是比较文明的,慢慢就随心所欲的写了,最后我竟然发现用汉语拼音就直接可以输入出来各种外语了也没有时间考虑采用外语直译了。这位朋友可能没有想到会遇到这样一位可以用100多种外语骂人的奇人,被骂晕了,可能自己用翻译软件翻译了一下知道大概意思了,他不会输入各种外语,晚上又开始骂人,我又变换了手法,采用估计他比较好理解的说法,特也不能理解各种外语,考虑用汉语拼音输入法告诉他怎样骂人的,他也没有反应,最后彻底的不敢露头了。我的气全部消失,额最后我感谢这位骂人的人,使他的傲慢无礼,促使我采用了不同国家外语进行打字输入练习了一个痛快,如果遇到一位热心请教的学员,就会顾虑较多,不会出现这样的奇迹了。但是这样就明白了一些外语学习的道理。
      英语意译
   听说读写译,这是外语学习的基本技能,由于过去都是采用直接习得的学习法压码英语学习,过去几年从来没有进行过英语的翻译。这次是第一次,我打算将这本书《七个外语学习成功者》翻译给大家,并进行评书,将压码法的各种方法进行讲解。我发现凡是作者认为比较特殊的成功者的学习思路,我们到压码都有了不是停留在他们的思路的特例形式的方法,而且都有了大量成功学员和范例,而远远超出了他们的系统性。但是就是这样,我们还要学习他们的教材,因为这是唯一一个多国语言的教学例子。因为我的压码法有十多种常用方法,还有系列的4000多种具体的方法,凡是类似的内容就有了联系性。所以写起来就会得心应手。因为我们有大量超过作者及其任何一位外语成功者的各种方法和范例作为支持。
    这部书是英语教材,我进行了翻译,使用的是意译,怎样进行翻译呢?
    我是这样进行的,看一句英语原文,自己进行压码记住句子的语音,如果看不太明白,就继续看下面的句子,将一段作为一个翻译单元,已经有了大概理解。在每个句子采用汉语理解到写下来,必须做到理解的清楚明白,不能是原文的意思,而是深刻的理解作者的意图,自己的汉语也是可能忘记的,一段翻译以后自己也可能智能记忆大概了,所以汉语也许要进行压码记忆,讲汉语翻译的内容打字到论坛,这样一篇文章一盘文章就翻译到这里了,我特别对于压码法的各种方法进行了讲解,思考,是对他的工作与思考的系统补充。

1.1.5 Nonverbal communication非语言沟通
    内容提要:
  1 Rhinos and zebras. . 犀牛和斑马
     2  Intuition.直觉
‘You don’t just take in sounds,’ I said by way of summary. ‘At the same time, you’re  taking in what’s going on along with the sounds - the meanings.’  你不只是在于声音,我说的这个方法是简单的,同时,你连续跟随这些声音,就能找到他的含义。
‘Yes. Part of it is that I intensely desire to communicate with fellow human beings. But it’s not only with people. I talk to the dog at home. And the dog responds,’ she said matter-of-factly. ‘You may laugh when I tell you this, but I’ve talked to a zebra. I talked to him, and I taught him to do a trick. I taught him to kick with a sugar cube. I gave each of the children a sugar cube, and they kicked, and I said to the zebra, “Come on over if you want a sugar cube, but you have to kick first.” He came on over and put his nose through, but I said, “No, you have to kick first.” He backed off, he kicked, and then he came and got his sugar cube. Another time a rhinoceros and I had a conversation, and the children who were with me just . . . It was fantastic . . . He was responding . But my point is, I can communicate - animal-to-animal communication. I don’t know what it is I’m telling you, but I know it exists. I can demonstrate it.’  是的,我强烈地渴望逾期部分人进行沟通,但是他不仅仅是人类,还跟家里的狗进行回应,他说的这些实际问题,你可能会发笑,我告诉你这些,告诉你与斑马谈话的故事,我教它一些伎俩,教它去踢方糖,我给孩子一些放糖,孩子将它踢开,我说踢给斑马方糖,我对斑马说,你过来吧,你如果想要方糖,你必须首先踢开它,他过来了,并用鼻子通过方糖,我说,你必须首先踢开这些方糖,它后退了一些,踢开了方糖,然后我给它了方糖。另一次和犀牛的交谈,和孩子一起与我就。。。太棒了。。。它已经有了回应,但是我要指出的是,我能语动物进行沟通,但是不知道动物与动物之间是怎样沟通的,我不知道怎样告诉你它是怎样的,但是我知道它的存在,我可以证明他。
‘A kind of communication which can make use of language, but which doesn’t basically depend on it.’ ‘Yes, it doesn’t necessarily depend on understanding the words or the grammar of
a language.’ ‘In that hotel in India, at the same time you were taking in the sounds of the language, through another channel you were taking in the meanings.’ ‘Yes. I think there’s a . . . I don’t know what to call it. Shall we say “psychic feedback”?’ ‘You mean the information - the meanings - are coming in, but you’re not consciously aware of just how, or even when?’ ‘Something like that. Yes.’ ‘And you also have, at the same time, to a much greater degree than most people, the ability to . . . to get back the sounds, whether you understand them or not.’
‘Yes.’ ‘And your mind is actively relating to both these channels at once.’ ‘Oh, yes! I’m an active participator!’ 一个对话可以使用语言沟通,但是不能依赖他。是的,你不需要依靠理解这些单词和语言的语法,在那个印度酒店里,在同样时间内,你采集语言的声音,通过其他渠道理解它的含义,是的,我想那是一个。。。我不知道怎样说他,我应该说是精神反馈,你说的意思是信息,这含义。。。是就要到来的,但是你是不能自觉意识到是怎样到来的,在什么时候到来。有的东西有点类似,是的,你也可能会有这种现象,比大多数人有个人有更大的深度,有这种能力去得到声音的回应,你是否理解他们,就是另外一回事情了。是的,你的大脑正积极参与,和两个频道的电视联系在一起。是的,我是一个积极的参与者。
Comments 评论
Ann was right! Most people I have told about the zebra and the rhinoceros have  either laughed, or at least smiled skeptically.  安是对的,大多数人 我告诉他关于斑马和犀牛的谈话沟通是故事,他们只是一笑,或者至少是怀疑的微笑。

上面的翻译,是看到文本一段英语,进行压码记忆文本,理解意思,然后将压码理解记忆的意思,用汉语写出来,如果又忘记的内容再看看英语原文,将汉语写出来即可。理解到意思汉语写出来的流畅的,如果汉语写的不流畅说明翻译理解的不好,英语压码记忆和汉语压码记忆的能力同样是重要的,不然你看完一段内容以后当时理解了,一旦写的时候就感觉不够流畅了,如果你看完一段直接可以写上一段汉语的话,不需要再看第二次英语,男模你的翻译能力就随着亚码能力的提高而提高了。
只看该作者 21 发表于: 2010-05-24
10 Success with Foreign Languages
It is true, of course, that the zebra’s kick may have been just a coincidence. It
may also be true that Ann’s impression that she can often communicate directly with
animals is just wishful thinking. At the same time, however, we should not forget
that there are people who ‘have a way with animals.’ Some actors are much better
than others at picking up the reactions of audiences. A child can usually sense a
parent’s mood and intentions even without words. Dogs can often do this, too. So it
may be that Ann was extraordinarily sensitive at reading signals from the animals. In
her experience at the hotel, the ‘animals’ just happened to be human. But she may
also have been unusually good at giving off signals that they could read. That would
account for her experiences of ‘direct animal-to-animal communication.’
At the end of this segment, Ann describes herself as a ‘participator.’ At the end
of 1.1.4, she said she makes free use of intuition. It may be that her combination of
these two qualities, one of them active and the other more passive, account for much
of her unusual ability with languages. Participation brings in more and better data
for her LAD (see 1.1.2) to work with. Then intuition allows the LAD to work freely
and creatively. All of this is consistent with the view of language learning outlined at
the end of the comments on 1.1.4.
Working with the ideas
1. What is your own interpretation of Ann’s experiences with the zebra and the
rhinoceros? Tell the story to someone else, and compare your view with his or
hers.
2. To what extent have you or people you know been able to communicate with
pets without using words?

It is true, of course, that the zebra’s kick may have been just a coincidence. It may also be true that Ann’s impression that she can often communicate directly with animals is just wishful thinking. At the same time, however, we should not forget that there are people who ‘have a way with animals.’ Some actors are much better than others at picking up the reactions of audiences. A child can usually sense a parent’s mood and intentions even without words. Dogs can often do this, too. So it may be that Ann was extraordinarily sensitive at reading signals from the animals. In her experience at the hotel, the ‘animals’ just happened to be human. But she may also have been unusually good at giving off signals that they could read. That would account for her experiences of ‘direct animal-to-animal communication.’ 这是真的,那个斑马踢方糖的故事也许只是一个巧合。安的印象可能也是真实的,她经常能与动物直接沟通,可能只是期望的事情,一厢情愿。同时,然而,我们不应该忘记有些人拥有与动物直接沟通的方式方法。有些演员比挑选的观众的反应,可能更好一些。孩子通常能够感觉到父母的情绪和企图,甚至在没有文字的情况下都能理解大人的意思,狗通常能够理解人的意思做得更好一些,可能因为安能够读取更为敏感的动物的信号。在酒店的经历中,这动物正好发生在人的身上,她可能出奇地捕捉到了阅读释放出来的信号,安对于记忆口音的经验,可能会实现动物到动物直接的沟通。

At the end of this segment, Ann describes herself as a ‘participator.’ At the end of 1.1.4, she said she makes free use of intuition. It may be that her combination of these two qualities, one of them active and the other more passive, account for much of her unusual ability with languages. Participation brings in more and better data or her LAD (see 1.1.2) to work with. Then intuition allows the LAD to work freely and creatively. All of this is consistent with the view of language learning outlined at the end of the comments on 1.1.4. 在最后一段结束的时候,安描述自己是一个参与者,她说自己可以自由地使用直觉,她可能结合两个基本的素质:一个是积极地,一个是比较被动的。记忆口音可能是她不同寻常的语言能力的来源。参考更多更好地数据信息或者她的工作(见1.1.4),直觉允许她LAD的自由地工作并更有创造性。所有的概述都和上面1。1。4结尾关于语言习得的观点的评论一致的。

Working with the ideas工作于思考
1. What is your own interpretation of Ann’s experiences with the zebra and the rhinoceros? Tell the story to someone else, and compare your view with his or hers. 什么是你自己的解释,对于安与斑马和犀牛沟通故事的精力的看法?告诉其他人这个故事,比较你与他和安的观点的异同。
2. To what extent have you or people you know been able to communicate with pets without using words?在何种程度上你和你认识的人,与没有文字的动物进行沟通的能力怎么样?
只看该作者 22 发表于: 2010-05-24
1.1.6 AILEEN: Diversity in what is triggered by intake
n Synesthesia.
n Emotion as a component of a mental image.
Ann, Bert and the others whose names head the chapters of this book were selected
for interview because of their proven excellence as language learners. I also
interviewed a second group of students, however. These were chosen at random,
without regard to their past degree of success with languages. One member of this
second group was Aileen, an Asian woman who had married an American. She had
apparently mastered the language and culture of her husband’s country, but I have
no information about how she performed in academic language study.
Like Ann, Aileen responded to communications from animals, but in a quite
different way.
An Intuitive Learner: Ann 11
‘If I’m watching an animal show on TV, and the animals make a noise, I try to
find some kind of pattern,’ Aileen told me. ‘And the same thing if somebody is
talking a foreign language, I still see some kind of pattern to it. I think that’s why I
enjoy learning languages.’
‘You see a pattern?’
‘Oh, yes, it’s like an electronic pattern you see on television.’
‘Like an oscilloscope.’
‘Yes. It’s something I vaguely see, some kind of a wave going on.’ she replied.
‘Sometimes it’s sort of round. That gives me the leeway to make mistakes. But if it’s
very clear and sharp. or very peaked when I visualize a sentence that doesn’t mean
anything to me, then I have to follow exactly the pattern I just saw, and that’s
extremely difficult.’
‘With words or with other kinds of sounds?’
‘Yes, like when I saw whales mating on TV, there was this noise, and if I hadn’t
seen that it was whales, I would probably have imagined one of those up-and-down
lines.’
‘If something is unfamiliar - if you don’t understand it - then that’s when you
tend to see it.’
‘Right. ’
‘Let me give you a new noise,’ I suggested, ‘and let’s see how it registers.’ I then
said a short sentence in an African language, containing tones and some unusual
consonants.
‘I heard that,’ Aileen reported, ‘because it has a Romance pattern to it - a
familiar pattern. It sounds friendly. I can tell by the tone of your voice that it’s not
something scornful or hurting.’ She laughed. ‘But the first day of the language I’m
studying now,’ she went on, ‘there were a lot of sounds that weren’t very friendly.’
‘And those sounds,’ I asked, ‘did you see them, hear them . .?’
‘I saw them. You know, this straight line. It kept going up and down, up and
down.’
Comments
The most striking thing about this fragment of Aileen’s interview is her visualization
of sounds as wavy lines. To me, however, two other points are more significant. One
was that she reacted not to the unfamiliarity of the language in my sample sentence,
but to the attitude that she read into my tone of voice. The second point is that the
language she was currently studying was of a country that had had a long and
sometimes unpleasant military rivalry with her own native land. Perhaps the
‘unfriendly’ effect of the words on her first day of class had been due more to that
fact than to their phonetic structure.
Working with the ideas
1. Make a list of the languages that you have heard, whether or not they are
languages that you can understand.
12 Success with Foreign Languages
2. Which of these languages sound generally pleasant to you? Which sound least
pleasant?
3. Can you find any relationship between their pleasantness or unpleasantness of
sound, and past relationships with the countries or peoples that speak them?

1.1.6 AILEEN: Diversity in what is triggered by intake   艾琳: 什么样的摄入量引发的
   内容提要:
  1  Synesthesia. 通感
    2  Emotion as a component of a mental image.  情感作为一个精神形象的组成部分
Ann, Bert and the others whose names head the chapters of this book were selected for interview because of their proven excellence as language learners. I also interviewed a second group of students, however. These were chosen at random, without regard to their past degree of success with languages. One member of this second group was Aileen, an Asian woman who had married an American. She had apparently mastered the language and culture of her husband’s country, but I have no information about how she performed in academic language study. Like Ann, Aileen responded to communications from animals, but in a quite different way.   安,贝尔和其他人名作为本书的前面的章节选择的语言习得成功人士,这是因为他们证明了卓越的语言习得能力。我也采访了第二组学生,然而,这是随意选取的,也没有考虑他们过去语言的程度,这第二组的艾琳,是一个亚洲人,她嫁给了美国人。她显然掌握了语言和她丈夫国家的文化。但我没有她关于如何进行语言学术研究的信息。与安一样,艾琳也是一个善于与动物进行沟通的人,但是反方式方法不同。

‘If I’m watching an animal show on TV, and the animals make a noise, I try to find some kind of pattern,’ Aileen told me. ‘And the same thing if somebody is talking a foreign language, I still see some kind of pattern to it. I think that’s why I enjoy learning languages.’ ‘You see a pattern?’ ‘Oh, yes, it’s like an electronic pattern you see on television.’ ‘Like an oscilloscope.’ ‘Yes. It’s something I vaguely see, some kind of a wave going on.’ she replied. ‘Sometimes it’s sort of round. That gives me the leeway to make mistakes. But if it’s very clear and sharp. or very peaked when I visualize a sentence that doesn’t mean anything to me, then I have to follow exactly the pattern I just saw, and that’s extremely difficult.’ ‘With words or with other kinds of sounds?’  如果我看到电视上的一些动物秀,这些动物发出一些叫声,我就是图找到一些图片,艾琳告诉我。如果一些人告诉一些外语,也是同样的道理。你看一个图案,奥,是的,就像你在电视上看到的电子图案,就像一个示波器。是的,这种事情我有时依稀可以看到,一个连续不停地波,有时它是圆形的排序,他给我犯错误的余地,但是如果他非常的明确和清晰,或达到顶峰的时候,当我看到一个句子,他并没有给我确切的意思,然后我跟随着我刚才看到的这个极好的图案来理解,这是极其困难的。与这些单词或者声音吗?

‘Yes, like when I saw whales mating on TV, there was this noise, and if I hadn’t seen that it was whales, I would probably have imagined one of those up-and-down lines.’‘If something is unfamiliar - if you don’t understand it - then that’s when you tend to see it.’ ‘Right. ’ ‘Let me give you a new noise,’ I suggested, ‘and let’s see how it registers.’ I then said a short sentence in an African language, containing tones and some unusual consonants. 是的,就像当我看到电视上的鲸鱼交配一样,这些声音,如果我没有看到它是鲸鱼,我可能想象什么在上面,什么在下面的一个东西,根本就不知道是什么?如果一个东西你不熟悉他,你不理解他,往往你非常想去看看他。对的,然我给你一个新的声音,我建议道,让我们看看存储器是怎样工作的?我有说了一个非洲语言的短句子,里面包括了语调和一些不寻常的辅音。
‘I heard that,’ Aileen reported, ‘because it has a Romance pattern to it - a familiar pattern. It sounds friendly. I can tell by the tone of your voice that it’s not something scornful or hurting.’ She laughed. ‘But the first day of the language I’m studying now,’ she went on, ‘there were a lot of sounds that weren’t very friendly.’ And those sounds,’ I asked, ‘did you see them, hear them . .?’‘I saw them. You know, this straight line. It kept going up and down, up and down.’我听到了,艾琳报告,因为它是以浪漫的图案,他听起来很友好,我能告诉你通过声音的语调,他不是一种轻蔑和伤害,她笑起来,这语言第一天,我现在真在学习,她接着说,许多声音好像不太友好,这些声音,我问,你能看的他们,你能听到他们吗?我看到它们了,这是一条直线,一个在上面,一个在下面,上面和下面。
Comments 评论
The most striking thing about this fragment of Aileen’s interview is her visualization of sounds as wavy lines. To me, however, two other points are more significant. One was that she reacted not to the unfamiliarity of the language in my sample sentence, but to the attitude that she read into my tone of voice. The second point is that the language she was currently studying was of a country that had had a long and sometimes unpleasant military rivalry with her own native land. Perhaps the ‘unfriendly’ effect of the words on her first day of class had been due more to that fact than to their phonetic structure. 这一段关于艾琳引人注目的采访,就是她的科可视化的声音波浪线。对我来说,另外两点更为重要,一是他的反应,不要对我不熟悉的样本句子的反应,她的态度是读进入了我的声音的音调,第二点是,她目前读的语言的国度,有一个和她的故乡不愉快的战争经历,也许不愉快的话语的影响,在第一天上课的影响超过了语音结构的影响。
Working with the ideas  工作于思考
1. Make a list of the languages that you have heard, whether or not they are anguages that you can understand.  记下你听到的语言类表清单,不管他们是否是你可以理解的。
2. Which of these languages sound generally pleasant to you? Which sound least pleasant? 这些语言声音对于你来说是愉快的吗,哪一种声音是最愉快的?
3. Can you find any relationship between their pleasantness or unpleasantness of sound, and past relationships with the countries or peoples that speak them?你能发现这些声音的愉快和不愉快吗,这样说他们和你过去国家和人民之间的关系如何?

sound, and past relationships with the countries or peoples that speak them?
只看该作者 23 发表于: 2010-05-24
1.2 The power of context
Later in our interview, Ann provided some dramatic evidence for what the presence
- or the absence - of meaningful context can do.
1.2.1 What ‘top-to-bottom’ listening can do
n Overhearing a Scandinavian conversation.
n The ‘comprehension advantage.’
Ann went on to tell us about a remarkable incident that had taken place during her
course.
‘I think it was the first or second week of class here,’ she said. ‘The Norwegian
teacher was discussing with the Danish teacher, out in the hall, and my chair was
right by the door, so I could hear. The Norwegian teacher had just given an
examination to somebody who came in, who had said he was sure he would get a
very high grade, when in fact he didn’t do well on the translation. And they
discussed this for about five minutes or so. When she came into the room, I said to
the teacher, “Well, what did he get.? ” She looked at me and she said, “Who?” And I
said, “Why, the person that you just tested.” She was flabbergasted. But how did I
know all those words? I don’t know!’
‘I suppose you just responded to all the things you did know. You put them
together, and that was sufficient for you to guess. You guessed, out of all the things
they might have been talking about, that this was what they were saying.’
Ann corrected me. ‘It wasn’t really a guess,’ she said. ‘I knew!’
My colleague entered the conversation. He was the supervisor of all the
Scandinavian courses, and knew the situation that the two teachers had been talking
about. ‘This is the first time I’ve heard this particular anecdote,’ he said, ‘but there
was a young man who came in and applied for tests in virtually all of the
Scandinavian languages, and various teachers were comparing notes about it.’
‘Am I remembering correctly?’ Ann asked.
‘You are remembering with exact accuracy,’ he assured her.
An Intuitive Learner: Ann 13
Comments
The Scandinavian languages are very similar to one another. They are so similar, in
fact, that native speakers of one often understand speakers of another. For that
reason we are not even sure how many languages Ann overheard. The Norwegian
teacher was certainly speaking Norwegian, but the Danish teacher may well have
been speaking Danish - a language Ann had never been exposed to! How did she do
it?
Here is where Ann and I seemed to disagree. As I saw it, Ann had two sources
for recognizing at least a few fragments of this new ‘torrent of words.’ One source
was whatever Norwegian she had picked up in her forty or fifty hours of class. The
other was whatever international words may have been used in the conversation
between the teachers. Ann must also have had some idea of the range of things that
two language teachers might be talking about. I suggested to her that she was using
these fragments in order to come up with a guess as to what they were actually
saying. She, however, rejected that idea. ‘I knew!’ she said.
In a sense, Ann was right that she ‘knew’ what the teachers had been saying, as
surely as she ‘knew’ what I had just said to her in English. But I still think I was
right, too. What I was talking about was not whether she knew, but how. It seemed
to me she was using what these days is called ‘from the top down’ comprehension.
She was taking advantage of what she already knew about what people might want
to say. Then she used the words as clues to help her decide which of those
possibilities was the one that the speakers actually intended.
The approach to comprehension that we usually find in language classes is of
course exactly opposite to this one. Traditionally, we get at the meaning of a word
by understanding its root and its prefixes and suffixes. Similarly we understand the
sentences by understanding the words. and the whole story by first understanding its
sentences. We piece the meaning together ‘from the bottom up.’
This incident illustrates how much more people can understand than they can say.
Ann could hardly have participated effectively in the conversation between the
teachers. She could not even have reported its content in her own words in that
language. Some language-teaching methods have exploited this ‘comprehension
advantage.’
Working with the ideas
1. The techniques described in 1.2.2 and 1.2.3, below, are related to what Ann
has just told us. How practical do you think these techniques would be for you
personally? Why?
2. Which approach seems more suited to your way of doing things, top-tobottom,
or bottom-to-top?

1.2 The power of context   权利的范围
Later in our interview, Ann provided some dramatic evidence for what the presence- or the absence - of meaningful context can do.  后来在我们到采访中,安提供了一些戏剧性的证据,存在着什么缺陷,具有重要意义方面能做的东西
1.2.1 What ‘top-to-bottom’ listening can do   高端到低端的听力能做什么?
    内容提要:
  1  Overhearing a Scandinavian conversation.   无意听到一个斯堪的纳维亚的对话
  2 The ‘comprehension advantage.’ 理解的优势
Ann went on to tell us about a remarkable incident that had taken place during her course.安接着告诉我们一个具有标志性的了不起事件,一个已经发生在我们到课程的地方的事件:
‘I think it was the first or second week of class here,’ she said. ‘The Norwegian teacher was discussing with the Danish teacher, out in the hall, and my chair was right by the door, so I could hear. The Norwegian teacher had just given an examination to somebody who came in, who had said he was sure he would get a very high grade, when in fact he didn’t do well on the translation. And they discussed this for about five minutes or so. When she came into the room, I said to the teacher, “Well, what did he get.? ” She looked at me and she said, “Who?” And I said, “Why, the person that you just tested.” She was flabbergasted. But how did I know all those words? I don’t know!’  我想,这是第一周或者第二周在课堂上听到的,她说,挪威老师和芬兰老师讨论问题,在大厅的外面,我的位置右面,通过一个门,所以我能够听到他们谈话,挪威老师刚才给一个进来的人进行考试,这个刚进来的人确信,他可以得到以很高的分数等级,但是实际上他没有很好地翻译,他们大约谈论了5分钟左右,当她进入教室的时候,安对老师说,喂,他得到了什么?她看着我和她说,谁,我说,为什么,刚才测试的人,本来自信可以考好,而没有翻译好呢?她大吃一惊,但是我怎么知道左右的话是什么呢,我并不知道。
‘I suppose you just responded to all the things you did know. You put them together, and that was sufficient for you to guess. You guessed, out of all the things they might have been talking about, that this was what they were saying.’ Ann corrected me. ‘It wasn’t really a guess,’ she said. ‘I knew!’ 我想你刚才回答了所有事情,你是知道的,你让他们放在一起,你就足以猜出来,你猜,你才外面的人可能一直都在讨论,他们都讨论了什么话?安说,这不是一个真正的猜测,我知道。
My colleague entered the conversation. He was the supervisor of all the Scandinavian courses, and knew the situation that the two teachers had been talking about. ‘This is the first time I’ve heard this particular anecdote,’ he said, ‘but there was a young man who came in and applied for tests in virtually all of the Scandinavian languages, and various teachers were comparing notes about it.’ ‘Am I remembering correctly?’ Ann asked. ‘You are remembering with exact accuracy,’ he assured her. 我的同时进来加入了谈话,他是主管所有斯堪的纳维亚课程的老师,并且知道这两位老师谈话内容的情景,这是我第一次听说这个故事,但有一个男子进来,他说,但是,就在这时进来一位年轻男人,并且提供了适用于所有斯堪的纳维亚语言的试卷,各位老师比较注意他。你记得准确吗,你有准确的记忆力,他向她保证说。

Comments 评论
The Scandinavian languages are very similar to one another. They are so similar, in  fact, that native speakers of one often understand speakers of another. For that reason we are not even sure how many languages Ann overheard. The Norwegian teacher was certainly speaking Norwegian, but the Danish teacher may well have been speaking Danish - a language Ann had never been exposed to! How did she do it?  斯堪的纳维亚语言之间是非常地相似,他们是近似的,事实上,母语说话者之一经常可以理解另外语言发言者的讲话,为了这个原因,我们甚至不能确定有多少种语言,安说出来了,挪威老师一定在说挪威语言,但是芬兰老师一定在说芬兰语言,这些语言安从来都没有接触过,安是怎样做到的呢?
Here is where Ann and I seemed to disagree. As I saw it, Ann had two sources for recognizing at least a few fragments of this new ‘torrent of words.’ One source
was whatever Norwegian she had picked up in her forty or fifty hours of class. The other was whatever international words may have been used in the conversation between the teachers. Ann must also have had some idea of the range of things that two language teachers might be talking about. I suggested to her that she was using these fragments in order to come up with a guess as to what they were actually saying. She, however, rejected that idea. ‘I knew!’ she said. 这里的安是什么地方人,我似乎不同意,正如我所看到的,安有两个来源:一个是可以确定新词的语流片段,一个来源是安来到挪威已经学习了40到50小时的学习班了,另一个原因可能国际语言已经应用在老师之间了。我猜想,她是用了这些片段,以便可以猜想出来,两位老师之间实际上说了什么话。不过,她否认了这种说法,我知道,她说。
In a sense, Ann was right that she ‘knew’ what the teachers had been saying, as surely as she ‘knew’ what I had just said to her in English. But I still think I was right, too. What I was talking about was not whether she knew, but how. It seemed to me she was using what these days is called ‘from the top down’ comprehension. She was taking advantage of what she already knew about what people might want to say. Then she used the words as clues to help her decide which of those possibilities was the one that the speakers actually intended.  从一定意义上说,安就是知道老师一直在说,当然,她知道刚才一直在说的是英语,但是我仍然认为我自己的看法是对的,我说的不是他是否知道,但是知道什么,看来对我来说,就是这些天称作的“顶部向下”方式的理解,他正是利用自己的说话优势,她知道什么人可能说什么话,然后,她作为线索,帮助他决定,什么人可能讲什么话的实际目的。
只看该作者 24 发表于: 2010-05-24
1.2.2 A TECHNIQUE: Selective listening
A technique that Ann might have liked
Each of the two approaches to comprehension in this and the next section has
provided its share of handy techniques. A bottom-to-top technique that anyone can
14 Success with Foreign Languages
use is what Nida called ‘selective listening.’ In this technique, one listens repeatedly
to a tape recording of somebody really using the language. This sample may be a
speech, or a news item, or a story or something else. Each time through, one listens
for something different: the way the speaker’s voice goes up and down, for example,
or strange-sounding consonants, or familiar-sounding words, or certain endings that
come up frequently. There are two nice things about this technique. One is that we
do not worry about the meanings at all. The other is that we soak up a lot of things
about the language even beyond the features we thought we were listening for.
1.2.3 A TECHNIQUE: Examining a whole newspaper
Another Ann-technique
A top-to-bottom technique that many beginning students have enjoyed uses a
complete issue of a recent newspaper in the language. The learner begins by trying
to guess what sort of audience the paper is published for: sensation-seekers, serious
students of public affairs, a local community or some other. The next task is to try to
identify the major sections of the paper: international news, sports, editorials,
various types of advertisements and so forth. Only at the end of this technique does
the learner look for words that appear familiar from other languages, and guess what
a few individual articles may be about.
1.2.4 A contrasting case of ‘top-to-bottom’ listening
n Overhearing a conversation in Swahili.
n Comprehension as a generative process.
n Varieties of components of a mental image.
I found myself wishing for a chance to let Ann demonstrate her abilities at first
hand. As I was trying to think of a way to arrange something, the door opened, and
the Swahili teacher came in. He said something to me in Swahili, and I replied. Ann
immediately became excited.
‘I understand it!’ she cried. And again after another exchange between the teacher
and me she repeated, ‘I understand it!’
Our conversation continued for a few more turns, and the teacher left. Ann did
exactly what I hoped she would: she volunteered to tell us what she had understood.
‘OK, I can say what this conversation was about,’ she said. ‘His room - I’m not sure
whether it’s upstairs or not - his room is cold. He wants it warmer, and there’s
something - I guess it’s the thermostat - something in the corner that isn’t working.
An Intuitive Learner: Ann 15
I’m not sure what, but something isn’t working, and you said that in ten or twelve
minutes you would be able to go up - or anyway in a short period of time. Is this
correct?’
‘Not precisely, no,’ I answered. I didn’t want to break her train of thought. To my
delight, she continued.
‘I heard kalienda.’ she said with some confidence. ‘I’m not sure what language it
was, but it sounded a bit like Spanish.’
‘It was Swahili.’
‘Oh! Swahili! I’ve never heard Swahili before. Was he cold? I thought he was cold
because it sounded like the Spanish caliente.’
‘No, it was nakili. Sina nakili yangu, “I don’t have my copy.” He wanted a copy
of a book we’d been using.’
‘Oh! I was way off!’
Comments
If Ann’s guess had been right, we would all have regarded it as a brilliant
demonstration of something or other. We would not, however, have been quite sure
what it was a demonstration of. Because she was wrong, we can see some of the
elements in a process that usually led her to right guesses. This process, I think,
accounts for much of her success in language learning.
As she listened to our small ‘torrent’ of Swahili sounds, Ann was taking in and
using a wide range of facts. The ones for which we have evidence in the conversation
are the following:
So I
It was fairly cold in my office.
The Swahili teacher pointed upward (toward the place on my shelf where the
books were usually kept).
The spot toward which he pointed was about the height at which thermostats
are normally placed.
He was reporting that something was not as it should be.
Both Spanish caliente and Swahili nakili yangu contain the consonant sounds
[k] and (11 followed by a nasal sound [n] or [TV], followed by a stop sound [t] or
]91.
The accented syllables of caliente and -kili yangu are the first and the third.
The meaning of Spanish caliente has to do with temperature (though it means
‘hot,’ and not ‘cold’).
My purpose in what I said to the teacher was to allow the interview with Ann
to go on until the end of the hour.
think Ann did pretty well with what was available to her. Rather like Aileen,
she was accepting whatever the incoming data triggered in her mind, and letting her
mind construct images that included those data. Quite possibly Ann was responding
to subtle nonverbal cues of the kinds she used at the zoo (1.1.5). With just a little
more luck, or with knowledge of a few Swahili words, she might have understood us
right! (And I still think this was a lot of what happened when she overheard the
conversation between the two Scandinavian teachers (see 1.2.1)!)

1.2.2 A TECHNIQUE: Selective listening   选择性听力聆听
A technique that Ann might have liked 一个安可能喜欢的技术
Each of the two approaches to comprehension in this and the next section has  provided its share of handy techniques. A bottom-to-top technique that anyone can use is what Nida called ‘selective listening.’ In this technique, one listens repeatedly to a tape recording of somebody really using the language. This sample may be a speech, or a news item, or a story or something else. Each time through, one listens for something different: the way the speaker’s voice goes up and down, for example, or strange-sounding consonants, or familiar-sounding words, or certain endings that come up frequently. There are two nice things about this technique. One is that we do not worry about the meanings at all. The other is that we soak up a lot of things about the language even beyond the features we thought we were listening for.

如何消化吸收一段话的意思?
  不同的人看了上面这一段话的差异很大,你可以亲自实验一遍,看看看完一遍后你能打到什么启发,这就是你的意思理解能力,也是你的消化吸收能力,就是你通过习得学会了什么,你的应用会有有多大提高,你的能力有了什么长进?你的学习方法有了什么联想和改进,你能够记住多少语音和文字,你自己组织语言有了什么起色,你大脑里面留下什么记忆,也就是说一段文字语言你能压码多少信息下来。
     看到这个选择性聆听,是一种顶部向下的艺术,与其称作技术不如称作一种技能,技术需要照着做,而技能却是你自己可以受到启发自己就能做,而且可以比原作的方法更彻底,更深刻的一种能力。也就是说,向我这样的练习,就是顶部到底部的学习方式,看完一段话就能学到很多信息,而不会等到每个句子背过了才学会一些内容,不用一个句子一个句子的慢慢学习,看完一段以后,我就能写出很多的东西,我能够理解作者的方法,我还能做出作者不会的方法。而你可能就没有这样幸运了,你可能看这段文字时间很长,一个句子一个句子理解,最后等待看完以后整段名没有留下很深的印象,甚至就是每个句子都理解了,还是很茫然,不知所措。你这样的就是底部到顶部的听力理解。这是其一。
    我看到选择性聆听的题目Selective listening   ,理解意思,在大脑里面出现的图像信号,压码整段英文的意思,我是有选择性的消化吸收一些有用的方法信息,我还会联想出来压码整段信息,然后慢慢细化到具体的信息,最后还能精确到每个句子的压码注音每个字母的读音,每个句子的表达方式,每个句子所有字母和单词的排列顺序,有的信息是有用的这是我所选择的聆听,有些信息是无用的我就不要了。这就是压码深度听清理解记忆。这就是我在大脑里面产生的英语意识流的印象,就是所谓的底部的细节。这是其二。
   我会联想出来压码干扰话的听力练习,也是选择性聆听,就是作者不会的方法和技巧。一个真实的语音,比如说演讲、新闻和故事节目的磁带,你可以将这三种语音录制在一起,变成干扰话磁带,你第一次听演讲的人的信号,不听其他两个信号,第二遍听新闻播音员的信号,放弃其他的2个信号,第三遍你可以只听故事的信号,抑制住其他的2个信号不到你的耳朵里面来,你可以连续不停磁带的情况下,进行压码干扰话的压码抄写或者压码听写,每遍听写一种信号,而且不但理解了这个文本的意思,而且学会了这个压码的方法,马上就能为你做一份压码干扰话的磁带来,马上就可以采用神奇变速器软件,开始压码干扰话的深度听清训练或者辅导学员一对一进行练习,进行压码抄写,一盘多信号的磁带,就是三盘磁带录制成一盘磁带,每遍连续不停地抄写出来一个信号,选择一个信号压码抄写,一直其余的信号进入你的大脑,防止其他你不需要的信号对你的干扰,使得你的听力具有选择性,我还可以对每个信号确保一遍听的及其细腻,听出每个人的语音特征来,我现在就能进行检验,我看完这个文章的意思是理解到,理解到深度远远会超过作者本身的方法,我可以记住这段文字的文本,文本的读音是精细到,精确到每个字母,并且可以压码注音给你看,那个读音都不会和磁带不一样。这是我的深度理解记忆。只有压码法才能做到。而且是理解做到,理解显示给你看到我所写的心得体会理解到深度,显示原文磁带的读音,显示原为的英语思维过程,显示原文的语言表达方式,你可以用英语写出来,也可以用汉语将自己的心里过程写下来。这是其三。
        还可以交给你如何进行消化吸收英语的训练方法,拿一盘磁带选择性聆听他的语音,不要里面的文字和意思,听一遍就注音出来磁带的读音,将这个磁带的语音特征压码记住,拿这个磁带的语音用在这个文章的压码朗读上,读的就像那个和这个文章不同的磁带的信号,我练习几盘磁带的语音,就能用几盘不同的磁带的语音,分别朗读这一个没有语音的文章,将几盘磁带信号的语音特征消化吸收到着同一个文章上来。这是语音的选择性聆听的压码记忆。这是其四。
   我还可以将这一段文章的口语进行选择性聆听,进行朗读拓展训练,来说口语,看着文本,用英语来进行提问,来进行回答,脱离课文的文本,自己用英语来说这一大段文章,来复述英语大意,我还可以选择性聆听这段文章的英语写作,比着文章来写英语。任何英语都可以作为范例,看着英语网站的英语说自己的话,写自己的文章,汉语的英语的都可以,我还可以选择性聆听课文的单词,假如的的英语写作句子表达方式基本功不好,我可以采用他的文章的英语表达来写几本英语结构,来写利用这个文章连接词写出汉语来进行英语思维过程的压码,我自己看着我写的汉语,就可以连续不停说出很长的英语来,我还可以对任何内容压码记忆。我不但可以消化吸收里面的语音和文本,也可以消化吸收里面的意思。不但可以消化吸收里面的文章,还可以消化吸收里面的口语,也可以消化吸收里面的英语写作。选择性吸收,需要什么就选择什么。这是其五。
   我还可以选择性压码他的方法,进行选择性理解,压码抄写作者的思想,进行看着别人的文章写出我这篇压码选择性聆听的范文来。看着他的内容,写出自己的内容来,进行英语和汉语的独立思考和模仿。
   我还可以选择性地进行翻译,我如果想采用音译,就能将英语的语音选择成汉语的音译,有选择性的一点一点变成汉语的语音,开始听到一个英语单词和汉语单词一样的读音,一样的意思,就能打开耳朵和大脑,讲英语听出汉语的读音来。有学员说,自己看日语电影听不出汉语的读音来,你只是没有自己体验而已,你自己在心里回想的时候,需要像汉语的读音,压码心里琢磨汉语读音的变音。
  我也可以有选择性地进行翻译成汉语:
   技术:选择性聆听
  一个安可能具有、喜欢的、类似的技术
这个教学法,可以用2个方面来理解这一点,每个方法和下面的联系起来,提供给你进行技术共享,奈达有一个称作“底部到顶部”的技术,这种选择性聆听技术,任何人都能做到。一遍去听这个真人录制的磁带,反复不停地听,听真人使用的语言,你可以选择,这可能是一个演讲的范例,或者是一个新闻节目,或者是所讲的一个故事节目,以及其他的什么学习材料都行,通过每一次聆听,每一次听到的东西都是不同的:你去听演讲者的语音可能是到底不平的语调,声音有的低有的高,例如,或者陌生怪异的语音,或者你熟悉的单词,和你原来的磁带类似,或者某些结局经常出现。这种技术有两种比较好的方法:一个是我们不必担心所有的意思,另一个是我们吸收了很多语言功能的东西,甚至超出了包括很多我们现在自己认为可以听到的内容。
   这就是原文的翻译,从上面的范例来说,很多方法就超过了你所看到的原文的意思和方法。这就是消化吸收选择性聆听的好处。你阅读一次,就有一次的心得体会。
1.2.3 A TECHNIQUE: Examining a whole newspaper技术:检查整个报纸
Another Ann-technique  安的其他方法技术
A top-to-bottom technique that many beginning students have enjoyed uses a complete issue of a recent newspaper in the language. The learner begins by trying to guess what sort of audience the paper is published for: sensation-seekers, serious students of public affairs, a local community or some other. The next task is to try to identify the major sections of the paper: international news, sports, editorials, various types of advertisements and so forth. Only at the end of this technique does the learner look for words that appear familiar from other languages, and guess what a few individual articles may be about.   一个从顶部到底部的技术,这是许多学生开始享受从一张报纸完整性上进行把握问题,如果说前面的方法是从特殊到一半的学习方法,这就是从一般到具体的学习方法。学习者开始去猜测,这个报纸编辑的是面向的什么样的听众和观众群体:依靠感觉来看报纸的读者,还是比较着急地关注公共事务的学生,是本地公共社区还是其他一些人群?接下来的主要任务就是确定文章主要部分的内容:国际新闻、体育、评论和各种类型的广告节目,这最后的目的就是学习单词,你所看到的单词在其他语言里面是很类似的语言,出现了你非常熟悉的语言,你可以去猜测一些个人文章在讨论的主题内容是什么?从顶部到底部的技术对应的这是略读的意思,而从底部到顶部的学习方法对应的则是精读。

1.2.4 A contrasting case of ‘top-to-bottom’ listening  一种顶部到底部听力的对比情景
   内容提要:
  1 Overhearing a conversation in Swahili.  偷听斯瓦西里语的对话
    2 Comprehension as a generative process.  作为一个形成过程的理解
    3 Varieties of components of a mental image.  一个大脑脑图精神形象的不同方面
I found myself wishing for a chance to let Ann demonstrate her abilities at first hand. As I was trying to think of a way to arrange something, the door opened, and the Swahili teacher came in. He said something to me in Swahili, and I replied. Ann immediately became excited. ‘I understand it!’ she cried. And again after another exchange between the teacher and me she repeated, ‘I understand it!’   一次机会中我发现了自己所期望的结果,让安表现出来了她露一手最好的能力,当我试图想办法安排一些事情的时候,门打开了,一位斯瓦西里语老师进来了,他说要用斯瓦西里语告诉我一些东西,然后由我来回答,这时安理解变的激动起来。我明白了,安激动滴喊道,当再一次和其他老师交流的时候,安再一次重复说,我明白了。

Our conversation continued for a few more turns, and the teacher left. Ann did exactly what I hoped she would: she volunteered to tell us what she had understood. ‘OK, I can say what this conversation was about,’ she said. ‘His room - I’m not sure whether it’s upstairs or not - his room is cold. He wants it warmer, and there’s something - I guess it’s the thermostat - something in the corner that isn’t working. An Intuitive Learner: Ann 15 I’m not sure what, but something isn’t working, and you said that in ten or twelve minutes you would be able to go up - or anyway in a short period of time. Is this correct?’  我们到谈话持续了一次折腾,这个斯瓦西里语老师离开了,安正式我所期望地自报奋勇地告诉理解了什么意思,好吧,我来告诉你,这是一次什么谈话的内容,在他的房间,我不能确定是楼上还是什么的,他的房间是冷的,他希望房间暖和一些,并且有一样东西,我猜好像是什么恒温器之类的东西,在一个角落里面没有用,我不能确定是什么东西,但是明确的就是他闲着没有使用,他说在过10到12分钟,你就可以走了,或者说在很短的时间内,你就要走了,这是正确的吗?

‘Not precisely, no,’ I answered. I didn’t want to break her train of thought. To my delight, she continued. ‘I heard kalienda.’ she said with some confidence. ‘I’m not sure what language it
was, but it sounded a bit like Spanish.’ ‘It was Swahili.’ ‘Oh! Swahili! I’ve never heard Swahili before. Was he cold? I thought he was cold because it sounded like the Spanish caliente.’‘No, it was nakili. Sina nakili yangu, “I don’t have my copy.” He wanted a copy of a book we’d been using.’ ‘Oh! I was way off!’不正确,不,我回答道,我不想打断他的思路,令我高兴的是,她继续说着:我听到哈林大,她自信地说,我不确定它是什么语言,但是他的声音像是西拔牙语。它是斯瓦西里语。奥,斯瓦西里语!我以前从没听过斯瓦西里语,他是冷吗?我认为他是冷,因为它的声音就像西班牙语的卡林大。不是,它是纳吉里,辛纳阳谷,我没有拷贝,他想复制一本书给我使用。奥,我弄错了。
Comments  评论
If Ann’s guess had been right, we would all have regarded it as a brilliant demonstration of something or other. We would not, however, have been quite sure what it was a demonstration of. Because she was wrong, we can see some of the elements in a process that usually led her to right guesses. This process, I think, accounts for much of her success in language learning. As she listened to our small ‘torrent’ of Swahili sounds, Ann was taking in and using a wide range of facts. The ones for which we have evidence in the conversation are the following:   如果安的猜测是对的话,我将会大家赞赏她,作为一个事物辉煌范例的展示或者其他什么的奖赏,我不能这样做,但是,我很确定他是具有范例示范作用什么的,因为她是错的,我们可以看到一些元素,在这个过程中,实际上使得她的猜测是正确的,在这个过程中,口音为她在语言习得方面取得了大量的成功。当她听到我们到斯瓦西里语的语流的时候,安在进行或者应用事实上是很广泛的,那些为我们谈话的证据如下:

1  It was fairly cold in my office. 我的办公室非常冷。
2 The Swahili teacher pointed upward (toward the place on my shelf where the books were usually kept).斯瓦西里语老师指出向上(朝向这个地方,在那里我的书架通常是向内)
3 The spot toward which he pointed was about the height at which thermostats are normally placed. 这个场地的方向,他指出的高度,通常是防止恒温器的地方。
4 He was reporting that something was not as it should be.  他报告的事情并不应该就是这样的。
5 Both Spanish caliente and Swahili nakili yangu contain the consonant sounds [k] and (11 followed by a nasal sound [n] or[TV], followed by a stop sound [t] or ]91.  西班牙语的卡利安特和斯瓦西里语的纳吉里岩谷都包含k的声音,和l 后面跟随一个鼻音 n 或者ng,跟随一个停滞音t或者g
6 The accented syllables of caliente and -kili yangu are the first and the third.卡利安特和吉利岩谷的重音符号分别在第一音节和第三音节。
7 The meaning of Spanish caliente has to do with temperature (though it means ‘hot,’ and not ‘cold’). 西班牙语的卡利安特的意思与温度有关(他的意思不是冷,而是热)
8 My purpose in what I said to the teacher was to allow the interview with Ann to go on until the end of the hour. 我的目的是我对这个老师说允许继续采访安,直到一个小时结束。

So I think Ann did pretty well with what was available to her. Rather like Aileen, she was accepting whatever the incoming data triggered in her mind, and letting her mind construct images that included those data. Quite possibly Ann was responding to subtle nonverbal cues of the kinds she used at the zoo (1.1.5). With just a little more luck, or with knowledge of a few Swahili words, she might have understood us right! (And I still think this was a lot of what happened when she overheard the conversation between the two Scandinavian teachers (see 1.2.1)!)
所以我认为安的可利用的价值是非常的不错,她不像艾琳。她接受在她心里引起的无论任何传入的数据,都能让她的大脑构造图像,那里包括这些数据,他很可能是可以回应动物园与动物交流的哪种类型的人(1.1.5),可以使用微妙的非语言线索,只需要一点点运气,和简单的斯瓦西里语的词汇知识,他就能正确地理解我们的意思,我仍然认为,当她无意中听到了两位斯瓦西里语老师的谈话的时候,她就能知道将要发生什么事情。(见1.2.1)

Working with the ideas  工作于思考
1. Make up another interpretation of the Swahili conversation, preserving all of the elements listed in the above comments. 制作出来其他斯瓦西里语谈话的解释,保留所有上面评论中列出的内容
2. In a restaurant or large waiting room, watch people whom you cannot hear.  在一个餐馆和大型候车室,看到你不能听到的人
What could you be fairly sure of about them?你能对他的什么人相当地肯定?
What could can you guess about them?你能猜出他什么来是对的?
What points were you curious about?  什么问题你是好奇的?
只看该作者 25 发表于: 2010-05-24
16 Success with Foreign Languages
Working with the ideas
1. Make up another interpretation of the Swahili conversation, preserving all of
the elements listed in the above comments.
2. In a restaurant or large waiting room, watch people whom you cannot hear.
What could you be fairly sure of about them?
What could can you guess about them?
What points were you curious about?

1.2.5 The need for meaningful context
n Trouble in learning lists of isolated words.
n The transience of ‘stockpiled’ linguistic material.
In spite of her broad range of strengths, Ann did have difficulty in one area. I
mentioned to her that various people have different ways of learning things like
vocabulary lists.
‘If I ever do another vocabulary list for learning a foreign language, I think , . .
well, I won’t do it!’ she shot back.
‘That isn’t how you work.’
‘I absolutely refuse! I flunked Spanish at the University of X for that reason! Dr Y
insisted that we learn two hundred vocabulary words a night. This was in Spanish
Literature - Spanish 2.’
‘Two hundred words a night. That was quite a bit.’
‘Yes. Yes, it was a lot and it just overwhelmed me. So there went my Latin
American Studies major! Poof! Up in smoke! And of course I was humiliated. I
thought I was too dumb to learn a language.’
‘Spanish was your first foreign language.’
‘Yes, except for two years of high-school Latin. And I did have two years of highschool
Spanish.’
‘And had you had any noticeable difficulty in learning vocabulary in your other
Spanish courses?’
‘No, none at all. It was just the sheer drudgery. I mean, if we were using two
hundred new words a day, and he was using them and I was using them, that would
have been fine.’
‘But this was just an arbitrary, irrelevant . . .’
‘As if we were learning Latin or Ancient Greek, and it was just sheer memory, as
if you were learning algebra.’
‘Ah, so your strong reaction against the idea of ever learning another vocabulary
An intuitive Learner: Ann 17
list is only partly from this humiliating experience. Partly for you it’s simply not
something that comes naturally, and it’s also not something that you need.’
‘It’s a juggling of sort of artificial symbols. But if he - or you or anyone else -
were to teach me two hundred new words in any language today, and if we used
them, then tomorrow I’d know those words! But we have to use them, meaningfully,
with it on the tape recorder to refresh me at night. Then it’s not a chore for me. I
guess it’s because the words are coming through my ears. I don’t know.’
Comments
This was the first time in our conversation that Ann had shown negative feelings, in
such words as ‘flunked,’ ‘overwhelmed,’ ‘humiliating,’ ‘dumb,’ ‘Poof! Up in smoke!’
Apparently this topic had touched a nerve! Yet in other kinds of activity, Ann
seemed not to have trouble in remembering what foreign words meant. Why did she
react so strongly against learning vocabulary lists?
We’ve already seen that Ann was amazingly good at responding to features of
meaning in context. It may be that she not only responded to them, but was
dependent on them. Remember the experiments on learning words with and without
their corresponding nonverbal mental images (1.1.3). When one learns vocabulary
lists in a foreign language, one needs some sort of meaning-image to attach to each
foreign word. The only way to reach such imagery is to go by way of the native
word. Perhaps for Ann the English translations by themselves failed to generate
nonverbal images that were vivid enough and complex enough to enable her to hold
on to the Spanish words.
It was as though Ann’s Spanish professor had asked her to lay in a supply of food
or water, one potato or one bucketful at a time, for a long trip that she might take at
some unspecified time in the future. This is what we will hear Frieda refer to as
‘stockpiling’ (6.2.3). There are five things to remember about stockpiling of purely
linguistic material - words, grammatical structures or just plain sounds - with no
attached meanings:
As we will see in the other interviews, people differ somewhat with regard to
their ability to stockpile linguistic material.
At best, though, the shelf life of unattached linguistic material is rather short.
People differ also in their willingness to stockpile. After all, if the potatoes are
going to spoil or the water is going to evaporate before we have a chance to
take advantage of them, why go to all the effort of accumulating them in the
first place?
Even so, some people can make significant use of stockpiling. (You may or
may not be one of these people.)
The only real way to be sure the supplies do not go bad or disappear is to eat
them or drink them - to work them into real use of the language - just as soon
as possible. (This is what Ann was talking about when she said, ‘If we had used
the words, I’d know them!‘)

78 Success with Foreign Languages
Working with the ideas
1. If you had to learn twenty foreign words with their equivalents in your native
language, for a test tomorrow, how would you go about it?
2. Learning isolated vocabulary is apparently Ann’s least favorite aspect of
language study. What is yours?

1.2.5 The need for meaningful context  需要理解上下文的含义
  内容体验:
1  Trouble in learning lists of isolated words.   孤立学习一大堆词汇列表的烦恼
  2 The transience of ‘stockpiled’ linguistic material.  无序储存语言材料
  In spite of her broad range of strengths, Ann did have difficulty in one area. I mentioned to her that various people have different ways of learning things like vocabulary lists. ‘If I ever do another vocabulary list for learning a foreign language, I think , . . well, I won’t do it!’ she shot back. ‘That isn’t how you work.’ 她的强项尽管广泛,但是安在一些地方确实很困难。我提到她的时候说过,不停地人们有不同的学习方式方法,比如词汇表就是这样。如果曾经做了一个其他语言的词汇表为你学习一下的话,我想。。。是不是更好一些呢?哇,我不想做它,不想练习背记词汇表。她直接地反击道,这话一下子就射回来了,这是不是你应该做的工作啊,简直是多此一举吗?
‘I absolutely refuse! I flunked Spanish at the University of X for that reason! Dr Y insisted that we learn two hundred vocabulary words a night. This was in Spanish Literature - Spanish 2.’ ‘Two hundred words a night. That was quite a bit.’ ‘Yes. Yes, it was a lot and it just overwhelmed me. So there went my Latin American Studies major! Poof! Up in smoke! And of course I was humiliated. I thought I was too dumb to learn a language.’ ‘Spanish was your first foreign language.’ ‘Yes, except for two years of high-school Latin. And I did have two years of highschool Spanish.’我完全拒绝执行!这就是我在x某大学里面西班牙语不及格的原因,Y博士坚持我一个晚上必须学习200个单词,这是西班牙语文学,西班牙2。一晚上学200个单词,这是不是有点太快了。是的,是的,是有点快了,他都让我惊呆了。所以我来到美国研究拉丁专业主修课程。噗!起立一片烟雾!当然,对我来说简直就是伤害和侮辱,实在受不了。我认为自己这样学习西班牙语实在是太愚蠢了。西班牙语是你的第一外语吗?是的,在上高中时候,出来学习了2年拉丁语,还学习了2年西班牙语。
‘And had you had any noticeable difficulty in learning vocabulary in your other Spanish courses?’‘No, none at all. It was just the sheer drudgery. I mean, if we were using two hundred new words a day, and he was using them and I was using them, that would have been fine.’ ‘But this was just an arbitrary, irrelevant . . .’ ‘As if we were learning Latin or Ancient Greek, and it was just sheer memory, as if you were learning algebra.’ ‘Ah, so your strong reaction against the idea of ever learning another vocabulary ist is only partly from this humiliating experience. Partly for you it’s simply not something that comes naturally, and it’s also not something that you need.’   你在其他西班牙课程中,学习词汇显着有困难吗?不,根本没有,这只是一个苦差事。我的意思是,如果一天学习200个生词,他能应用它们,我能应用他们,这当然好。但是,这是一个任意的,不相干的事情,你学习了200个单词一天并不能应用它们,用什么用?这就好像我们在学习拉丁语,学习古希腊语,纯粹的记忆,死记硬背,就向你学习代数一样死记硬背显然是不行的。所以,这是你反对学习词汇列表想法,反应这么强烈的原因,只是部分来自这个屈辱的经验。部分的原因,是你们没有简单的自然获取,而且也不是你所需要的东西。

‘It’s a juggling of sort of artificial symbols. But if he - or you or anyone else -were to teach me two hundred new words in any language today, and if we used them, then tomorrow I’d know those words! But we have to use them, meaningfully, with it on the tape recorder to refresh me at night. Then it’s not a chore for me. I guess it’s because the words are coming through my ears. I don’t know.’  这是一个人工符号排序的杂耍,但是,如果他或者你或者任何人可以在一天教会我任何语言的200生词,并且我们能够应用他们这些单词的话,然后,明天我就要学会弄明白这些单词。但是我们必须使用他们,是有实际意义的,我在晚上就在磁带录音机上刷新单词的记录,也就是说我能够在磁带听懂这些单词才实用意义的单词。然而,这并不是我那么容易做到的事情,我猜,这些单词是通过我的耳朵进来的,我并不明白,是不是白学这些单词了?
Comments 评论
This was the first time in our conversation that Ann had shown negative feelings, in such words as ‘flunked,’ ‘overwhelmed,’ ‘humiliating,’ ‘dumb,’ ‘Poof! Up in smoke!’ Apparently this topic had touched a nerve! Yet in other kinds of activity, Ann seemed not to have trouble in remembering what foreign words meant. Why did she react so strongly against learning vocabulary lists?  这是我们谈话的第一次负面的感情,比如出现这些词汇:不及格、压垮、侮辱、可怜、释放烟幕拉等等,很显然,这个话题已经触犯了她的神经,但是在其他类型的活动中,安似乎在记忆外来语意思方面,并没有遇到什么烦恼。为什么在反对学习词汇列表方面,安会有这样强烈的反应呢?
We’ve already seen that Ann was amazingly good at responding to features of meaning in context. It may be that she not only responded to them, but was dependent on them. Remember the experiments on learning words with and without their corresponding nonverbal mental images (1.1.3). When one learns vocabulary ists in a foreign language, one needs some sort of meaning-image to attach to each foreign word. The only way to reach such imagery is to go by way of the native word. Perhaps for Ann the English translations by themselves failed to generate nonverbal images that were vivid enough and complex enough to enable her to hold on to the Spanish words.  我们已经看到,安是多嘛令人惊叹,在反应上下文特性的含义方面做得这么好,她可能是不仅反应出他们的意思,而且还非常依赖他们上下文的的联系中把握意思。记住这些习得的经验,包括不使用文字,并且利用非语言信息的心里图像的经历和实践。当一个人学习外语词汇表的时候,需要某种意义的图像附加到外来词是排序上,唯一的办法就是,就是通过自然单词的消化吸收,来接受了语言的图像信息,也许安的英语翻译没有产生,采用通常的非语言图像,还不够生动和复杂,但是这种非语言图像也已经足够使得她的掌握西班牙语单词了。
   It was as though Ann’s Spanish professor had asked her to lay in a supply of food or water, one potato or one bucketful at a time, for a long trip that she might take at some unspecified time in the future. This is what we will hear Frieda refer to as ‘stockpiling’ (6.2.3). There are five things to remember about stockpiling of purely linguistic material - words, grammatical structures or just plain sounds - with no attached meanings:  这是因为通过安的西班牙语教授要求她躺着进行供应,比如粮食、水、土豆,一次采集一箩筐,她可能要在将来一个不确定的时间,进行一次长途旅行做好准备。这是我们将要听取的佛罗里达称作“储存”理论讲解的(见6.2.3),有五种东西需要记住,储存纯语言的材料-单词、语法结构、简单的声音,没有附加的意思。
   1  As we will see in the other interviews, people differ somewhat with regard to their ability to stockpile linguistic material.  正如我们看到的其他采访,人们就有不同的方法,在他们多语言材料储存能力方面。
  2 At best, though, the shelf life of unattached linguistic material is rather short.最好的是,我想,人们自己非接触的独立语言材料的寿命一般都是短暂的。
  3 People differ also in their willingness to stockpile. After all, if the potatoes are going to spoil or the water is going to evaporate before we have a chance to take advantage of them, why go to all the effort of accumulating them in the first place?人与人之间的差别,就是他们储存的意愿的不同的。毕竟,在这以后,如果土豆要坏掉和水蒸发之前,我们有机会利用这些优势。为什么努力进行积累单词成为单词储存第一名呢?
4 Even so, some people can make significant use of stockpiling. (You may or may not be one of these people.)即便这样,有人可能大量储存是有意义的(尽管可能是,也可能不是这样的人)
5 The only real way to be sure the supplies do not go bad or disappear is to eat them or drink them - to work them into real use of the language - just as soon as possible. (This is what Ann was talking about when she said, ‘If we had used the words, I’d know them!‘)唯一正确的方法是,在供应的物质没有变质或者消失之前,吃了或者喝了它们。需要做的工作是,真正地使用这些语言,只能尽快、尽自己所能。(这就是安告诉的,当她说:如果我们需要使用它们的时候,我将会明白它。)

Working with the ideas 工作与思考
1. If you had to learn twenty foreign words with their equivalents in your native language, for a test tomorrow, how would you go about it? 如果你必须学习20个外语单词,用你母语的天赋,你会怎样做?
2. Learning isolated vocabulary is apparently Ann’s least favorite aspect of language study. What is yours?在学习外语事,学习孤立的单词,安显然是不喜欢的一个方面,你的看法如何呢?
只看该作者 26 发表于: 2010-05-24
1.2.6 Ann’s idea of the ‘natural’ way to learn a language
n Side effects of assuming that all language students
n Omaggio’s list of qualities of successful language
As our conversation drew to an end, Ann remarked, ‘Every child who has learned to
speak before the age of five has learned in the same way we . . . the way I learned
English or any language. and it has been the method I’ve been using to learn
Norwegian now!’
‘You feel that what you’re doing is very much like the way you learned English.’
‘Yes. And that using the written material in the course is superimposed -
culturally superimposed. I want to say that we’re using another tool, and using our
eyes as a training aid.’
‘But the basis of it is this same way you learned English?’
‘Yes.’
‘You seem to be saying that if you had to depend on what’s in this book, without
having available the way you learned English, then you’d be in trouble.’
‘For me, without a native speaker. . .’
‘What I mean is, if you didn’t have available to you the same mechanism that you
used for learning English . . . if you had to depend entirely on this book or some
other book, then you might find it much more difficult.’
‘It would be like learning to speak algebra. It would be like learning those two
hundred words in Spanish. Apparently I can’t. . .’
‘Abstract? Dead?’
‘Yes! Both! Absolutely!’
Comments
Ann seemed to attribute her success in language learning to just conforming to a
natural process. She evidently believed that what was natural for her was natural for
everyone. This belief has played three roles in the history of the learning and
teaching of languages. First, it has encouraged teachers to devise methods based on
their own learning and that of their best students. Second, it accounts for much of
An intuitive Learner: Ann 79
the disappointment experienced by these same teachers, or by others who adopt
their methods, when the methods fail to work with all students. Finally, it has left
many unsuccessful students feeling that something is wrong with them. For some of
those students, at least, their nature was simply different from what the deviser of
the method had assumed it was.
We can now compare what we know of Ann with Carroll’s list (1 .l.l). We have
already seen that she is good at identifying sounds and attaching them to symbols.
(She even prefers to make up her own symbols!) As with sahib in the Indian hotel,
she finds it easy to tie new words to their meanings (provided they are in context). In
fact (as with the Swahili conversation), she sometimes comes up with more meanings
than she needs! But this interview has told us nothing about her abilities to identify
grammatical functions of words, or to see what is or is not done in putting sentences
together.
More recently, Alice Omaggio has provided a somewhat different 1ist.8 It contains
seven characteristics of successful language learners:
They have insight into their own learning styles and preferences. Ann certainly
has!
They take an active approach to the learning task. Ann certainly does!
They are willing to take risks. We have seen that Ann is.
They are good guessers. Ann is a champion in this respect!
They watch not only what words and sentences mean, but also how they are put
together. Ann didn’t say much about this. I suspect she is fairly good at it,
however.
They make the new language into a separate system, and try to think in it as soon
as possible. This was one of the first things Ann told us about herself.
They are tolerant and outgoing in their approach to the new language.
Apparently Ann is.
So the interview with Ann supports my hunch that all of the items on Omaggio’s
list contribute toward success in language learning. If I had interviewed only Ann, I
might have concluded that every good learner is like her. I was to find out very soon.
however, that such a conclusion would have been wrong.
Working with the ideas
1.What overall differences do you notice between Carroll’s list and Omaggio’s
list?
2 Look through the interview once more and pick out the evidence to support
the idea that Ann fits Omaggio’s criteria.
3 Which of Omaggio’s criteria fit you most closely? Which fit you least closely?

1.2.6 Ann’s idea of the ‘natural’ way to learn a language  安的想法是自然天成的方法来习得一种外语
内容提要:
  1 Side effects of assuming that all language students  所有的语言学习,都要负面效应的一面
    2  Omaggio’s list of qualities of successful language  奥玛智奥的成功语言素质列表
   As our conversation drew to an end, Ann remarked, ‘Every child who has learned to speak before the age of five has learned in the same way we . . . the way I learned English or any language. and it has been the method I’ve been using to learn Norwegian now!’ ‘You feel that what you’re doing is very much like the way you learned English.’ ‘Yes. And that using the written material in the course is superimposed - culturally superimposed. I want to say that we’re using another tool, and using our eyes as a training aid.’ ‘But the basis of it is this same way you learned English?’ ‘Yes.’   在我们到谈话就要结束之前,安的话我们还记得,每个孩子在5岁之前已经学会了说话,我们可以用同样的方法来学习这种方法。。。习得英语或者任何一种语言。作为一种学习方法,我一直采用这种方法来学习挪威语,直到现在。我感觉你非常喜欢用这种方法,就像你的英语学习的就非常好。是的,并且在使用的时候,将书面材料在课程里面实现了叠加学习,也将文化化地叠加在一起了。我想说,我们应用其他的工具,使用我们到眼睛来作为训练帮助,来达到我们到目的。但是,这是和你学习英语一样的基本方法吗?
‘Yes.’‘You seem to be saying that if you had to depend on what’s in this book, without having available the way you learned English, then you’d be in trouble.’ ‘For me, without a native speaker. . .’ ‘What I mean is, if you didn’t have available to you the same mechanism that you used for learning English . . . if you had to depend entirely on this book or some other book, then you might find it much more difficult.’是的。你好像在说,你不得不依赖什么在书本里,没有可用的方式,用来学习英语,你将要带来麻烦。对于我来说,没有母语。。。我所说的意思是,如果你没有同样的利用你的学习机制,用于英语学习,如果你不得不完全或者部分地依赖书本的话,你可能会发现你会更加困难。
‘It would be like learning to speak algebra. It would be like learning those two hundred words in Spanish. Apparently I can’t. . .’ ‘Abstract? Dead?’ ‘Yes! Both! Absolutely!’ 这就像学习代数的话,它就像你学习这200个西班牙语的单词,显然是我不能,论文摘要,死了这个心吧,是啊,这两者都是这样,当然,完全的没有商量的余地。
Comments 评论
Ann seemed to attribute her success in language learning to just conforming to a natural process. She evidently believed that what was natural for her was natural for everyone. This belief has played three roles in the history of the learning and teaching of languages. First, it has encouraged teachers to devise methods based on their own learning and that of their best students. Second, it accounts for much of the disappointment experienced by these same teachers, or by others who adopt their methods, when the methods fail to work with all students. Finally, it has left many unsuccessful students feeling that something is wrong with them. For some of those students, at least, their nature was simply different from what the deviser of the method had assumed it was.   安似乎归因于她成功语言学习,只是符合顺其自然地过程。她显然相信她自己自然习得是这样的过程是什么,理所当然地认为别的每一个人也是这样。这个信念,就是执行三个角色的原则,无论在历史是学习上,还是语言教学上,都是这样应该遵守的原则。首先,她鼓励老师制定学习方法,要基于自己的学习,并且包括自己最优秀的学生的学习经验。

We can now compare what we know of Ann with Carroll’s list (1 .l.l). We have already seen that she is good at identifying sounds and attaching them to symbols. (She even prefers to make up her own symbols!) As with sahib in the Indian hotel, she finds it easy to tie new words to their meanings (provided they are in context). In fact (as with the Swahili conversation), she sometimes comes up with more meanings than she needs! But this interview has told us nothing about her abilities to identify grammatical functions of words, or to see what is or is not done in putting sentences
together.  现在我们可以比较安与卡罗尔的列表,我们知道了什么区别之处,我们已经看到她好就好在她善于发现和重视这些重要意义的语言的语音和接触到声音符号上(安小姐她曾经指出自己弄了自己的注音拼音符号),作为绅士一般的什么细胞,在印度那个酒店里面,她发现觉得很容易,以配合带出新词的意思(提供了他们的意思通过上下文的猜测获得,只要在上下文中)实际上(比如与斯瓦西里语对话中听到的那样),她有时来了比她自己需要理解的意思的含义还要更多一些!但是,这次采访中却没有告诉我们,她没有具备确定意义的语法功能词的能力,哪种可以起看出什么是,什么不是的能力,就是将语法功能词和句子放在一起的能力,也就是说看不出他是否可以将这些语法功能词和句子放在一起。
More recently, Alice Omaggio has provided a somewhat different 1ist.8 It contains seven characteristics of successful language learners:最,爱丽丝奥玛志奥提供了一个有些不同的列表8,这里包含七个成功预言学习者的特点:
1 They have insight into their own learning styles and preferences. Ann certainly has!  他们具有了解自己学习风格方式习惯和喜好的能力,安显然是具有这样的能力。
2 They take an active approach to the learning task. Ann certainly does!他们采取积极的学习任务的方法。安当然是!
3 They are willing to take risks. We have seen that Ann is.他们愿意承担风险。我们看到,安是。
4 They are good guessers. Ann is a champion in this respect!他们是优秀学习者,非常擅长的角色。安在这方面是冠军!
5 They watch not only what words and sentences mean, but also how they are put together. Ann didn’t say much about this. I suspect she is fairly good at it, 他们不仅看什么单词和句子的意思,而且他们是看如何把他们紧密地结合在一起。安并没有说这一点。我怀疑她是比较擅长,
但是。
6 They make the new language into a separate system, and try to think in it as soon as possible. This was one of the first things Ann told us about herself.他们使之成为一个独立的系统的新的语言,并尝试考虑把它尽快地变为可能。这是一个安的告诉我们第她自己的一件事情。
7 They are tolerant and outgoing in their approach to the new language. Apparently Ann is.他们是将新的语言学习方法,宽容地和传出的他们的方法,显然是安。
   So the interview with Ann supports my hunch that all of the items on Omaggio’s  list contribute toward success in language learning. If I had interviewed only Ann, I might have concluded that every good learner is like her. I was to find out very soon.however, that such a conclusion would have been wrong.因此,与安采访时,支持我的直觉,所有关于Omaggio的项目清单,都有助于语言学习走向成功。如果我访问了只有安,我可能的结论是,每一个良好的学习者一定是喜欢她的。我是很快就发现,然而,这样的结论将是错误的。
Working with the ideas 工作与思考
1.What overall differences do you notice between Carroll’s list and Omaggio’s list? 你注意到卡罗尔和奥玛吉的清单之间所有的差异是什么?
2 Look through the interview once more and pick out the evidence to support the idea that Ann fits Omaggio’s criteria. 通过这次采访,挑选出来更多的证据支持安的想法,适合奥玛吉的标准。
3 Which of Omaggio’s criteria fit you most closely? Which fit you least closely?哪一个奥玛吉的标准更接近你,那个最适合和接近你的实际?
只看该作者 27 发表于: 2010-05-24
20 Success with Foreign Languages
1.3 Notes
1. John Carroll’s list appears in ‘Twenty-five years of research on foreign language aptitude,’
a chapter in Universals in Language Learning Aptitude, edited by Karl C. Diller (Newbury
House, 1981).
2. The revised edition of Eugene Nida’s book Learning a Foreign Language was published by
the Friendship Press in New York City, in 1957.
3. There are numerous treatments of the ‘LAD’ concept as it applies to language learning.
Heidi Dulay, Marina Burt and Stephen D. Krashen mention it in their book Language
Two, which was published by Oxford University Press in 1982. In the second edition of his
Principles of Language Teaching and Learning (Prentice Hall International, 1987), H.
Douglas Brown gives a brief critical discussion of it.
4. The distinction between ‘acquisition’ and ‘learning’ is a conspicuous element in all of the
works of Stephen D. Krashen, including the one cited in the preceding note.
5. William G. Moulton’s very readable book, titled A Linguistic Guide to Language Learning,
was published by the Modern Language Association in 1966.
6. The research to which I am referring here was reported in the Journal of Mental Imagery
by M. J. Dickel and S. Slak, in an article titled ‘Imagery vividness and memory for verbal
material’ (1983, vol. 7.1).
7. The Natural Approach is the title of a book by Stephen D. Krashen and Tracy Terrell,
published by Prentice Hall International, 1983.
8. This brief report by Alice Omaggio, titled ‘Successful language learners: What do we know
about them? ,’ appeared in the ERIC/CLL News Bulletin for May 1978

20成功与外语
1.3注释
1。约翰卡罗尔的列表中出现25个多年的研究对外语能力倾向,在'
在语言学习能力倾向,由卡尔长迪勒(纽伯里编辑共性章
楼,1981)。
2。在尤金奈达的书学习外语出版了修订版
在纽约市友谊出版社,1957年。
3。还有的'众多治疗法援署的概念,因为它适用于语言学习。
海蒂杜雷,匡伯特和斯蒂芬语言学家克拉申提到它在他们的著作语言
二,这是由牛津大学出版社出版于1982年。在他的第二版
语言教学的原则和学习(普伦蒂斯霍尔国际,1987),阁下
道格拉斯布朗给出了一个简短的批评讨论。
4。间的分别收购'和'学习'是一个突出的所有元素
工程斯蒂芬语言学家克拉申,其中包括一个在前面的说明引用。
5。威廉克莫尔顿的非常可读的书,名为阿语语言学习指南,
出版了现代语言协会于1966年。
6。该研究由我这里指的是在心理意象日报报道
由MJ迪克尔和S.斯拉克,在标题为意象的生动性和记忆的口头文章
材料'(1983年卷。7.1)。
7。自然法是一个由斯蒂芬语言学家克拉申和麦蒂特勒尔书名,
国际出版由Prentice Hall,1983。
8。爱丽丝Omaggio的这一名为',成功的语言学习者的简要报告:我们知道什么
他们呢? ,'出现在李家祥/ CLL的新闻简报1978年5月
只看该作者 28 发表于: 2010-05-24
Chapter Two
A Formal Learner
Bert learning Chinese

Another very successful language learner was Bert, a young diplomat who had
reached an extraordinarily high level of competence both in speaking and in reading
Chinese. At the time I talked with him, Bert was studying another Asian language.
2.1 Audio-Lingual-style activities
Many of the techniques that Bert told me about were typical of the well-known
Audio-Lingual method.
2.1.1 Bert’s idea of the ‘natura/’ way to learn a language
n Grammar-Translation.
n Audio-Lingualism.
‘I suppose like most people I have firm ideas which aren’t shared by everybody,’
Bert began, ‘but what seems to work for me is simply the approach which I suppose
is just to imagine you’re a baby or an infant learning a language again. You begin by
listening, listening, listening, absorbing, repeating to yourself, repeating after the
teacher, making certain that you understand the vocabulary, and then using it,
preferably in simple sentences, and then building up from there.’
‘In the beginning, the teacher would say a word or a sentence, and you’d repeat
after her. ’
‘Or him. Yes, that’s right.’
I remembered that Ann had ended her interview with the remark about learning
Norwegian the way she had learned English. Now Bert was beginning with that same
assertion. His description so far did not sound entirely like the children I had
22 Success with Foreign Languages
observed or read about. but I did not want to distract him. ‘Like a baby.’ I repeated.
‘Yes, the so-called natural approach to learning,’ Bert replied. ‘In high school I
had Latin, French and Russian. and I learned them all in the traditional way, which
is to say the grammar way.’
‘Where you sit down and read about it.’
‘Well, you sit down and read it, and you decline and you conjugate. And what I
found from that was that I could read Russian quite well, but I was never
particularly good at speaking Russian. Similarly with French and also of course with
Latin.’
Comments
In order to understand what Bert is talking about in this interview, we need to look
first at two contrasting approaches to the learning and teaching of foreign languages.
These are Grammar-Translation and Audio-Linguahsm.
Grammar-Translation was the most widely accepted approach during the period
before the end of World War II.’ Bert’s description of it is only partial. A typical
lesson began with a list of words in the language to be learned, together with nativelanguage
equivalents. Then came a number of grammatical rules with illustrations.
There might or might not be a brief reading which contained examples of the new
words and rules in context. Finally, there were sentences to be translated from the
foreign language to the native language, and others to be translated from the native
language to the foreign language. The book also contained paradigms - tables
showing all the forms for sample nouns, adjectives and verbs of various kinds.
Students were required to memorize the paradigms well enough so that they could
recite them aloud or reproduce them on paper. Knowledge of paradigms enabled the
student to avoid errors in translation into or out of the foreign language. If there
were other ways to correctness, this method did not know of them.
The social setting of Grammar-Translation is worth a brief look. It flourished
during a period when higher education was much less widespread than today. The
students, or at least their teachers, had grown up in a world where only a minority
even completed secondary school. International travel and access to mass media in
other languages were relatively rare. Given the students and teachers in foreignlanguage
programs, translation seemed the only common objective available.
In the late 1950s and the 1960s Grammar-Translation was challenged and
partially replaced by a new approach, which eventually received the name ‘Audio-
Lingual.’ Audio-Lingualism emphasized learning to speak and understand the new
language.2 Reading and writing, when they were taught, were built on these oral
skills. Language was primarily speech, and its use was controlled by habits. Habits
were manifested by the use of the speech muscles, and so they could only be formed
through active use of those muscles in oral practice. Practice was to be repeated as
often as necessary in order to ensure accuracy. Only after accuracy was established
should any learner attempt fluency.
The Audio-Lingual approach gave rise to a number of methods. In the bestknown
of these, a typical lesson began with a dialog. Students repeated the dialog
A Formal Learner: Bert 23
after their teacher, who corrected their pronunciation as necessary. They then
continued practice on the dialog until they could recite it rapidly and accurately from
memory. Only after they had done so did they meet a series of notes explaining
grammatical features that had been exemplified in the dialog. The way to accurate
control of grammar was not through memorizing paradigms, but through
performance of drills. A drill consisted of a series of sentences which the student was
to give in response to a series of cues. A simple English example, designed to teach
the present-tense forms of the verb be, is as follows:
Cue Expected response
I am busy.
she She is busy.
we We are busy.
etc.
The lesson might end with extra listening practice, recombining material from the
basic dialog and the exercises, or with speaking activities, or in some other way.
The social setting of Audio-Lingualism is also interesting. World War II suddenly
placed two new demands on language teaching in the United States. One was for
face-to-face communication skills. The other was for instruction in dozens of
languages from all over the world - languages for which no lesson materials existed.
Responsibility for this training was given to a group of anthropological linguists. Not
being language teachers, the linguists were unattached to the classical and liberal
assumptions of traditional language-teaching. Instead. they tended to be behaviorists,
anti-mentalists and very pragmatic.
This team trained hundreds of service personnel in languages from Albanian to
Zulu. Though their success was not as uniform as journalists made it sound, it was a
truly noteworthy accomplishment. The result was enormous prestige and substantial
public support for the linguists and for the methods they had used.
World War II was won by troops who had become convinced of the value of
calisthenics, military drill, unquestioning acceptance of authority and ‘sounding off
in a loud, firm voice. All of these features appeared in Audio-Lingualism. The
military life also demands spartan willingness to put up with temporary discomfort
for the sake of future objectives. This quality was required, for most people at least,
in order to endure four features of Audio-Lingual courses. One of those features
was the massive repetition of dialogs and drills. Another was the memorization of
long dialogs. Still another was the belief that seeing the written materials
prematurely would keep students from hearing the nuances of sounds. The fourth
was expressed in the admonition ‘Say it this way because the native speakers say it
this way. Don’t ask why!’
Beginning in the late 196Os, other approaches have challenged and largely
replaced Audio-Lingualism in many parts of the world. We do not need to
understand them, however, in order to follow what Bert is going to tell us in the
remaining segments of this interview.
24 Success with Foreign Languages
Working with the ideas
Bert recites a series of activities in which he says babies engage when they are
learning their first language. Which of these fit your observation of babies you
have known? Which do not?
In this segment and in those that follow it, what references can you find to the
principles of Grammar-Translation and Audio-Lingualism?

Chapter Two 第二章
A Formal Learner  一个正规的学习
Bert learning Chinese  伯特习得汉语
Another very successful language learner was Bert, a young diplomat who had reached an extraordinarily high level of competence both in speaking and in reading Chinese. At the time I talked with him, Bert was studying another Asian language.   另外与一个非常成功的语言学习者是贝尔(伯特),他是一名外交官,他已经得到了一种非常高的汉语口语和阅读能力。当时,我与伯特谈话的时候,伯特已经在学习另外的亚洲语言。
2.1 Audio-Lingual-style activities  音频-舌头-方式的活动
Many of the techniques that Bert told me about were typical of the well-known Audio-Lingual method.  这里有许多技术,伯特告诉我的,这是众所周知的非常著名的典型方法-“听说法”。
2.1.1 Bert’s idea of the ‘natura/’ way to learn a language 伯特的想法、理念:关于习得语言的自然方式
内容提要:
1  Grammar-Translation.  语法翻译
  2  Audio-Lingualism.  音频-舌头运动主义吃遍天下
‘I suppose like most people I have firm ideas which aren’t shared by everybody,’ Bert began, ‘but what seems to work for me is simply the approach which I suppose is just to imagine you’re a baby or an infant learning a language again. You begin by listening, listening, listening, absorbing, repeating to yourself, repeating after the teacher, making certain that you understand the vocabulary, and then using it, preferably in simple sentences, and then building up from there.’‘In the beginning, the teacher would say a word or a sentence, and you’d repeat after her. ’ ‘Or him. Yes, that’s right.’   我想,我喜欢的人是就像大多数人们一样,我拥有一个坚定的想法,我的想法不会受到大家共同的影响,也不愿意与大家共享。伯特开始说,这个工作对于我来说,似乎是很简单的方法,我猜想,只是想象你是一个小孩子或者婴儿,又一次习得一门新的语言,首先,你开始通过听,听,听,吸收,自己听到后重复给自己,听到老师的话后跟着重复,弄清楚确定的单词,然后使用它,最好是用一些简单的句子,然后从单词哪里建立起来句子。一开始,老师会说一些单词或者句子,然后,你会在她之后重复。还有他,是的,没错。
I remembered that Ann had ended her interview with the remark about learning Norwegian the way she had learned English. Now Bert was beginning with that same assertion. His description so far did not sound entirely like the children I had observed or read about. but I did not want to distract him. ‘Like a baby.’ I repeated.  我记得,当我结束采访面试安的挪威语的时候,她用在书上标记拼音来习得挪威语的方法,这种方法她已经用在了应学习上了。现在,伯特又开始给我同样的判断。他的描述至今还远远没有那么听起来好像的健全的孩子,我已经注意观察和阅读观看了这些问题,但是,我并不想让他分心,就像一个婴儿,我又说了一遍。
‘Yes, the so-called natural approach to learning,’ Bert replied. ‘In high school I had Latin, French and Russian. and I learned them all in the traditional way, which is to say the grammar way.’ ‘Where you sit down and read about it.’  是的,这是称作“自然学习法”的习得,伯特回答道,在高中我已经用它学习拉丁语、法语和俄语,并且我学习这些语言,全部都是采用的传统方法,那也就是说,是采用了语法的方式。当你坐下来阅读它的时候。
‘Well, you sit down and read it, and you decline and you conjugate. And what I found from that was that I could read Russian quite well, but I was never particularly good at speaking Russian. Similarly with French and also of course with Latin.’  嗯,你坐下来阅读它,你不愿意与你联系起来,我发现我可以阅读俄语非常好,但是我从来没有,尤其是不善于用俄语说话,类似的还有法语,当然,拉丁语课程的学习过程也是一样。
Comments评论
In order to understand what Bert is talking about in this interview, we need to look first at two contrasting approaches to the learning and teaching of foreign languages. These are Grammar-Translation and Audio-Linguahsm.为了理解伯特在接受采访是说了写什么,我们首先需要看看这两种截然不同的外语教学法,一个是语法-翻译法,一个是音频-舌头走遍天下主义。
Grammar-Translation was the most widely accepted approach during the period before the end of World War II.’ Bert’s description of it is only partial. A typical lesson began with a list of words in the language to be learned, together with nativelanguage equivalents. Then came a number of grammatical rules with illustrations. There might or might not be a brief reading which contained examples of the new words and rules in context. Finally, there were sentences to be translated from the foreign language to the native language, and others to be translated from the native language to the foreign language. The book also contained paradigms - tables showing all the forms for sample nouns, adjectives and verbs of various kinds. Students were required to memorize the paradigms well enough so that they could recite them aloud or reproduce them on paper. Knowledge of paradigms enabled the student to avoid errors in translation into or out of the foreign language. If there were other ways to correctness, this method did not know of them.  语法-翻译法是广泛接受的方法,在第二次世界大战结束之前期间,伯特描述它只是局部的。一个典型的课程,在学习语言开始用一个单词表,与母语进行等价对比,紧随其后,就是语法规则的插图,可能是或者可能不是一个简单的例子,一个阅读在文本中确定的新单词规则的例子,最后,是将一个句子从外语翻译成母语,或者从母语翻译成外语。书上还有范例,表里展示所有的名词、形容词、动词的各种各形式的样品,学生要求背诵这些范例足够好,让他们可以大声朗读和复制这些文件到纸上,范例的知识,使得他们可以避免从外语翻译成母语或者母语翻译成外语进出的翻译错误,如果还有其他的方法是正确的,我们不知道这些方法是什么。
The social setting of Grammar-Translation is worth a brief look. It flourished during a period when higher education was much less widespread than today. The students, or at least their teachers, had grown up in a world where only a minority even completed secondary school. International travel and access to mass media in other languages were relatively rare. Given the students and teachers in foreignlanguage programs, translation seemed the only common objective available.  语法-翻译法的当时的社会环境,值得简要介绍给你看看,在这流行的期间,高中教育是远远少于今天普及,这些学生,或者说至少他们的老师,在这个世界长大,只有少数完成了高中教育,国际旅游和大众媒体用外语采访还比较少,在外语节目上,似乎只有翻译是给学生和老师的公共对象可利用的目标。
In the late 1950s and the 1960s Grammar-Translation was challenged and partially replaced by a new approach, which eventually received the name ‘Audio- Lingual.’ Audio-Lingualism emphasized learning to speak and understand the new language.2 Reading and writing, when they were taught, were built on these oral skills. Language was primarily speech, and its use was controlled by habits. Habits were manifested by the use of the speech muscles, and so they could only be formed through active use of those muscles in oral practice. Practice was to be repeated as often as necessary in order to ensure accuracy. Only after accuracy was established should any learner attempt fluency.  在十九世纪50年代和60年代,语法-翻译学习法收到了挑战,并被一种新的学习方法所取代,这种方法最终取名为“音频舌”,音频-舌头吃遍天下的观点强调学习口语和理解语言的技能,阅读和写作,当他们被教导的时候,是建立在这些口述技能之上的,语言主要地是讲话,它的使用是由习惯控制的,习惯的重要意义主要表现在口语肌肉的使用上,所以他们只能通过口语肌肉形成,在实践中积极加以利用。为了确保准确性,实践往往是需要经常重复的,只有建立起来准确的语音,才能尝试流利。
The Audio-Lingual approach gave rise to a number of methods. In the bestknown of these, a typical lesson began with a dialog. Students repeated the dialog after their teacher, who corrected their pronunciation as necessary. They then continued practice on the dialog until they could recite it rapidly and accurately from memory. Only after they had done so did they meet a series of notes explaining grammatical features that had been exemplified in the dialog. The way to accurate control of grammar was not through memorizing paradigms, but through performance of drills. A drill consisted of a series of sentences which the student was to give in response to a series of cues. A simple English example, designed to teach the present-tense forms of the verb be, is as follows:  音频舌头运动学习法引起了许多方法,其中著名的是,一个开始对话的典型课程,学生在他们的老师后面重复对话,老师纠正他们的读音是必要的,然后,他们继续练习对话,直到能够迅速、准确地背诵储存下来,只有他们这样做以后,他们看到符合笔记系列的解释,体现在对话中的语法特征,这种方法正确地控制语法,而不是通过死记硬背的模式,而是通过性能的演示来表现,演示包括一系列句子,那个学生根据在一系列线索进行回答,一个简单的英语例子,设计的教动词be的现在进行时态,下面是:
Cue Expected response  线索 预期反应
I am busy.  我很忙
she She is busy. 她,她正忙
we We are busy.我们,我们很忙
etc.等。

The lesson might end with extra listening practice, recombining material from the basic dialog and the exercises, or with speaking activities, or in some other way.  这个课程可能最后用一个额外的听力训练,从这个基本的对话和训练中重组材料,或者用说话的活动,或者一些其他方式。

The social setting of Audio-Lingualism is also interesting. World War II suddenly placed two new demands on language teaching in the United States. One was for face-to-face communication skills. The other was for instruction in dozens of languages from all over the world - languages for which no lesson materials existed. Responsibility for this training was given to a group of anthropological linguists. Not being language teachers, the linguists were unattached to the classical and liberal assumptions of traditional language-teaching. Instead. they tended to be behaviorists, anti-mentalists and very pragmatic.  这个音频舌头走遍天下的主意的社会环境也很有趣,第二次世界大战期间,突然在美国语言教学上放了两个新要求,一个是面对面交流的技能,另一个是一打语言教学的说明,在世界各地那里并不存在课本材料,这些训练是交给人类语言学家的责任,而不是语言教师。这些语言学家都没有接触到古典和自由主义的传统语言教学的假设,相反,他们往往是行为主义者,反精神主义的,非常务实。

This team trained hundreds of service personnel in languages from Albanian to Zulu. Though their success was not as uniform as journalists made it sound, it was a truly noteworthy accomplishment. The result was enormous prestige and substantial public support for the linguists and for the methods they had used. 这个团队训练了100名从阿尔巴尼亚到祖鲁语的服务人员,尽管他们的成功在于一些没有穿新闻工作者服装的人制作了一些语音,但这是值得注意的成就。其结果是极大地提高了他们的威望,得到了大量的公众支持这些语言学家和他们使用的方法。

World War II was won by troops who had become convinced of the value of calisthenics, military drill, unquestioning acceptance of authority and ‘sounding off in a loud, firm voice. All of these features appeared in Audio-Lingualism. The military life also demands spartan willingness to put up with temporary discomfort for the sake of future objectives. This quality was required, for most people at least, in order to endure four features of Audio-Lingual courses. One of those features was the massive repetition of dialogs and drills. Another was the memorization of long dialogs. Still another was the belief that seeing the written materials prematurely would keep students from hearing the nuances of sounds. The fourth was expressed in the admonition ‘Say it this way because the native speakers say it this way. Don’t ask why!’  第二次世界大战是赢得了部队,已经变成了值得信服的健美操、军事演习,对权威的无条件接受,发出响亮的坚定的声音,所有这些特点和功能都出现在音频语言吃遍天下的观点,这种军旅生活,也要求斯巴达愿意忍受暂时的不舒服,为了将来作战对象的缘故。这种品质是必须的,至少对于多数人来说是这样,为了承受四种特色的音频语言课程,这些特色之一是,大量的重复对话和练习,另一种是记忆长对话。还有一个是信念,还有一个是信念,看到的书面材料,不断地从学生听到声音的细微差别。第四有人这样告诫说,因为母语的认识这样方式说的,不要问为什么。
Beginning in the late 196Os, other approaches have challenged and largely replaced Audio-Lingualism in many parts of the world. We do not need to understand them, however, in order to follow what Bert is going to tell us in the remaining segments of this interview.  在60年代末开始,其他方法遇到了挑战,并且取代音频语言吃遍天下,在世界的许多地方,我们这样做不需要理解他们,然而,为了下面的伯特将要告诉我们剩下采访的部分。

Working with the ideas  工作与思考
1.Bert recites a series of activities in which he says babies engage when they are learning their first language. Which of these fit your observation of babies you have known? Which do not?  伯特朗诵的系列活动,他说,当婴儿习得他们第一语言的时候,其中你观察到婴儿的那些知道适合你,哪一个不是?
2. In this segment and in those that follow it, what references can you find to the principles of Grammar-Translation and Audio-Lingualism?在这一部分和下面的内容,你发现什么的语法原则和音频语言吃遍天下的观点可以参考?
只看该作者 29 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.1.2 Massive ‘mimicry-memorization’
n Connecting meanings and sounds.
n Concentrating on meanings or sounds.
‘So the first experience I had in going at it in any other way was with Chinese, where
the director insisted that we adhere to his special method. It was a controversial
method, in which I happen to be a true believer.’
‘You found it quite effective.’
‘I certainly did! His method was, very simply, repetition, repetition, repetition,
starting with very basic sentences, and an absolute prohibition on the use of English
at any time in the class. Further, and I suppose this was the most controversial point,
there was an absolute ban on bringing any written materials at all into class.’
‘There were three ways in which it differed from your Latin, French and Russian:
the constant physical repetition, the complete monolingual atmosphere, and also the
fact that you didn’t work with written materials at all.’
‘Yeah, I’d say that for the first six months, six hours a day, it was entirely one-onone,
entirely in Chinese, entirely either repeating after the teacher, or attempting to
construct simple sentences . . .’
‘This was your very first contact with Chinese?’
‘No, actually, I’d had a year of Chinese in college. But now it was just repetition,
construction of simple sentences and constant correction.’
‘Correction by the teacher.’
‘By the teacher, yes. And in that program, one of the teachers had special
responsibility for correcting pronunciation. Other teachers would concentrate on
other aspects.’
‘Such as grammar?’
‘No, not grammar. Actually, during the first six months there was no discussion of
grammar per se. In fairness, though, Chinese is easy as far as grammar is concerned.’
‘But in any case, it was pretty much doing the language, not talking about it.’
A Formal Learner: Bert 25
‘Yeah. If we had any questions about grammar, we could go home and look it up
in a textbook. But we couldn’t ask the teacher about grammar, even in class.’
Comments
Bert says that Chinese is easy as far as grammar is concerned. By this he means that
it does not have large sets of endings for its nouns, or irregular verbs, such as he had
found in Latin, French and Russian.
‘Nobody can learn a language from all that parroting!’ a colleague of mine once
fumed. She was criticizing the then-new Audio-Lingual approach (see 2.1.1). She
would have said the same about the first few months of Bert’s Chinese course.
Any language deals with two realms. One is the realm of meanings: messages that
we want to convey. These messages contain components of many kinds:
descriptions, locations, narratives, of course, but also emotions, purposes and
personal relationships. The other realm consists of speech sounds, written symbols
and, for some people, sign language. A language is just a system for relating these
two realms to one another.
My colleague might also have pointed out that Bert was not only learning a new
language; he was also learning a new culture. Learning Chinese culture meant
becoming familiar with the range of meanings that other people might want to
convey, some of which were different from the meanings Bert was used to at home.
It also meant learning how those meanings fit together in the lives of Chinese
people.
Eventually, if he was to succeed, Bert (like any other learner) had to have two
kinds of things in his head at the same time. He had to have some sounds or written
symbols. Alongside them, at the same time, he also needed to have some meanings
that corresponded to those sounds. But the meanings we have in our heads at any
moment may be pale and impoverished, or they may be vivid and complex. My
colleague was saying that in massive repetition and correction - ‘parroting,’ as she
called it - Bert was concentrating on the first of those two realms at the expense of
the second. He was learning to manipulate the forms, but not to relate the forms to
meanings. This was the kind of thing that had made Ann so uncomfortable in her
study of Spanish vocabulary (see 1.2.5, 1.2.6). And yet we know that Bert did learn
Chinese extremely well.
Working with the ideas
1. How successful do you think this kind of course would have been for you?
2. How do you think you would have reacted emotionally to it?
3. Which features of it would you have found most acceptable? Why? Which least
acceptable? Why?

2.1.2 Massive ‘mimicry-memorization’大规模模仿-记忆
内容提要:
1  Connecting meanings and sounds.  意思和声音的连接
  2 Concentrating on meanings or sounds. 在含义和声音上的集中

‘So the first experience I had in going at it in any other way was with Chinese, where the director insisted that we adhere to his special method. It was a controversial method, in which I happen to be a true believer.’ ‘You found it quite effective.’  因此,第一个经验是我将用任何其他的方法学习汉语,那里的导演坚持认为,我们坚持自己的特殊方法,这是有争议的方法,我正好是一个真实的信徒。你发现,这是很有效的。

‘I certainly did! His method was, very simply, repetition, repetition, repetition, starting with very basic sentences, and an absolute prohibition on the use of English at any time in the class. Further, and I suppose this was the most controversial point, there was an absolute ban on bringing any written materials at all into class.’  我肯定是这样有效的。他的方法是非常简单,重复,重复,再重复,开始用非常基本的句子,绝对禁止在课堂上任何时候使用英语,另外,我想,这是争议最多的一点。这里绝对禁止携带任何书面材料进入课堂。
‘There were three ways in which it differed from your Latin, French and Russian: the constant physical repetition, the complete monolingual atmosphere, and also the fact that you didn’t work with written materials at all.’   这里有三个方法的不同的,对于拉丁语、法语和俄语来说,不断机械地重复,完整的单个语言的气氛,实际上,你的工作也没有所有的书面材料。
‘Yeah, I’d say that for the first six months, six hours a day, it was entirely one-on one, entirely in Chinese, entirely either repeating after the teacher, or attempting to
construct simple sentences . . .’  是的,我说过,在头六个月,每天学习6小时,他是完全的一对一教学,完全的说汉语,在老师之后完全地重复汉语,或者试图简单地造句。

‘This was your very first contact with Chinese?’‘No, actually, I’d had a year of Chinese in college. But now it was just repetition,construction of simple sentences and constant correction.’‘Correction by the teacher.’‘By the teacher, yes. And in that program, one of the teachers had special responsibility for correcting pronunciation. Other teachers would concentrate on other aspects.’ ‘Such as grammar?’  这是你第一次接触汉语吗?不是,实际上,我在大学已经有一年学习汉语,但是,现在只是重复,汇集简单的句子,不断校正。通过老师纠正吗?通过老师,是的,这个方案是,其中一位老师有特殊责任去纠正语音,其他老师会集中于其他方面。比如语法。
‘No, not grammar. Actually, during the first six months there was no discussion of grammar per se. In fairness, though, Chinese is easy as far as grammar is concerned.’ ‘But in any case, it was pretty much doing the language, not talking about it.’ ‘Yeah. If we had any questions about grammar, we could go home and look it up in a textbook. But we couldn’t ask the teacher about grammar, even in class.’  不是,没有语法。实际上,在前六个月期间,都没有讨论语法本身,公平地说,尽管汉语就文法而言是简单的,但在任何情况下,他是做很多语言,而不是讨论它。是的,如果我们有很多关于语法问题,我们可以回家看书,我们不能问老师语法,甚至在课堂上也不能问老师语法。
Comments 评论
Bert says that Chinese is easy as far as grammar is concerned. By this he means that it does not have large sets of endings for its nouns, or irregular verbs, such as he had
found in Latin, French and Russian.  伯特说汉语对语法而言很容易,他的意思是说,它没有名词、及物动词词尾的大的规则,比如,他已经发现的拉丁语、法语和俄语词尾的变化规则。
‘Nobody can learn a language from all that parroting!’ a colleague of mine once fumed. She was criticizing the then-new Audio-Lingual approach (see 2.1.1). She would have said the same about the first few months of Bert’s Chinese course. 没有人能够从所有的人云亦云、牙牙学语种学会一种语言,一位同事曾经被激怒了。他批评当时的新的音频舌头语音学习法(见2.1.1)。她会说,伯特的汉语语文课和前几个月一样,没有任何进步。
Any language deals with two realms. One is the realm of meanings: messages that we want to convey. These messages contain components of many kinds: descriptions, locations, narratives, of course, but also emotions, purposes and personal relationships. The other realm consists of speech sounds, written symbols and, for some people, sign language. A language is just a system for relating these two realms to one another.  处理任何语言都有两个方面,一个是意思领域,我们需要传达信息,这些信息包括许多类型:描述、位置、说明,当然还包括情感、目的和个人关系等方面,另一方面是包含说话的语音、书写符号,对于一些人来说,还包括手语标志语言。一种语言就是一个关系到一个领域到另一个领域的系统。
My colleague might also have pointed out that Bert was not only learning a new language; he was also learning a new culture. Learning Chinese culture meant becoming familiar with the range of meanings that other people might want to convey, some of which were different from the meanings Bert was used to at home. It also meant learning how those meanings fit together in the lives of Chinese people.  我的同时也可能指出,伯特不只是学习一种新的语言,他也是在学习一种新的文化,学习汉语文化,意味着与其他人想要传达的意思的范围相类似,其中一些是与伯特在家里使用的不同的含义,这就意味着,学习这些意思怎样适应与华人一起生活。
Eventually, if he was to succeed, Bert (like any other learner) had to have two kinds of things in his head at the same time. He had to have some sounds or written symbols. Alongside them, at the same time, he also needed to have some meanings that corresponded to those sounds. But the meanings we have in our heads at any moment may be pale and impoverished, or they may be vivid and complex. My colleague was saying that in massive repetition and correction - ‘parroting,’ as she called it - Bert was concentrating on the first of those two realms at the expense of the second. He was learning to manipulate the forms, but not to relate the forms to meanings. This was the kind of thing that had made Ann so uncomfortable in her study of Spanish vocabulary (see 1.2.5, 1.2.6). And yet we know that Bert did learn Chinese extremely well.  最后,如果他是成功的,伯特(就像任何其他学习者一样),必须同时首先做好两个事情,必须有一些声音和书写符号,除了这些,同时,他也需要相对于这些声音的意思,但是这些意思可能在我们的大脑里的任何时候都是苍白和贫乏的,也可能是生动和复杂的。我的同事是说,在大量的重复和纠正-因为他称之为“人云亦云”,伯特是集中在两个领域,其中的第一个领域相对于第二个领域来说是付出了更多的代价。他只是学习操作这个形式,而不是关系到形式的意思。这就是安女士之所以学习西班牙语词汇时感到不舒服的原因(见1.2.5,1.2.6),我也知道伯特学习汉语特别地好。
Working with the ideas 工作与思想
1. How successful do you think this kind of course would have been for you?  你认为这些课程为你提供哪一种类型,怎样才能成功?
2. How do you think you would have reacted emotionally to it? 你怎样认为你会有怎样的情感反应?
3. Which features of it would you have found most acceptable? Why? Which least acceptable? Why?  你会发现,那个特点你可以接受?为什么?哪一个你最能接受?为什么?
描述
快速回复

您目前还是游客,请 登录注册