压码鉴赏与评析外语教学法系列《七个外语成功者》为你解惑

级别: 管理员
只看该作者 30 发表于: 2010-05-24
26 Success with Foreign Languages
2.1.3 Intensive mechanical drill
n Reading authentic materials.
n Patterns.
n ‘Burning patterns into the brain.’
Bert continued. ‘For face-to-face purposes, and understanding contemporary press,
radio, that sort of thing, I found this method just about ideal.’
‘So the sentences you used in this study were sentences you knew the meaning of,
whether because there was an English translation, or because the teacher
demonstrated the meaning.’
‘Yes, both. Sometimes one and sometimes the other.’
‘Nevertheless, in class you left the English aside, and that was the big feature as
you perceived it.’
‘Yes, all new vocabulary was explained in Chinese - learning it as a native would
learn it, more or less. Then in the later stages. with college textbooks and the like,
we had to do a lot of preparation outside of class. A lot of dictionary work, and then
come in and recapitulate in class what had been read the preceding night. This was
basically an hour a day throughout the course. At other hours, we’d do other things,
such as culture.’
‘Again in Chinese.’
‘Oh, yes, in Chinese.’
‘And in the progression from first-grade texts to college texts and radio plays, and
hearing about Chinese culture in Chinese, there was a certain authenticity there. An
authenticity that made it easier when you went out of the school to talk to people.
You didn’t run into any discontinuity or barrier or anything.’
‘Right. Right .’
‘You were very quickly getting into genuine use of Chinese, based on what you
had studied in a very mechanical way.’
‘Yes, and that was quite different from what’s going on in the language I’m
studying now. Here they turn everything into translation practice, even drills that
I’m fairly sure the author didn’t intend to be used that way. I think all of us have
been feeling that we need more interaction with the language.’
‘Interaction with the language, whether through meaningful conversation, or just
through repetition . . .’
‘Exactly! In other words, something that will burn the patterns into our brains!’
Comments
As Bert reads authentic materials written by and for Chinese people, he is not only
picking up how the purely linguistic elements fit together; he is also finding out what
A Formal Learner: Bert 27
meanings exist in Chinese life that do not exist in his native culture, and how some
of these meanings are connected to one another.
Bert reacts quite differently to translation than he did to paraphrase. One part of
the reason for his preference is certainly that in paraphrasing, the original was in
Chinese. Perhaps another part of the reason is that in paraphrase he had to first
form in his mind a nonverbal image of the meaning of the original. Then in making
his Chinese paraphrase, he had to draw on that imagery, just as in normal speaking
we try to express meaning-images that we have in our minds. In translation. on the
other hand, he was working from a set of English words.
To me, the most interesting part of this segment is Bert’s last statement. In 2.1.1,
we saw an English example of what Bert means by a ‘pattern’: we automatically use
am after I, is after he, she, if, and are after we, you, they. ‘Burning patterns into
brains’ is a concept typical of Audio-Lingual thinking, though it did not originate
there. This kind of activity concentrates on the realm of language form, with little or
no attention to the realm of meaning. It is really a kind of ‘stockpiling,’ like what we
saw in 1.2.5. There are two obvious differences:
n What Bert is stockpiling is grammatical reflexes, while Ann was trying to
stockpile vocabulary.
m Bert seems quite content with doing such things; Ann clearly was not.
The ‘burning’ metaphor probably comes from the branding of cattle, a process which
causes temporary pain but produces permanent results. In language study it refers to
the performance of many dozens, even hundreds of repetitions, either oral or
written. In deciding whether to study in this way. one must compare the pain
(tedium, fatigue, frustration, wondering ‘Is it worth it?‘) against the result (improved
control of some feature of the language). For some learners the balance will go in
one direction, while for others it will go in the other.
Working with the ideas
1. Suppose you received an important document whose number was A9035591-
D. How would you go about memorizing the number so that you could be sure
of being able to produce it accurately when needed?
2. How have you reacted (or how do you think you would react

26 Success with Foreign Languages
2.1.3 Intensive mechanical drill  强化机械训练
1  Reading authentic materials. 阅读实况材料
2  Patterns.  模式
3  ‘Burning patterns into the brain.’  燃烧模式进入大脑

Bert continued. ‘For face-to-face purposes, and understanding contemporary press, radio, that sort of thing, I found this method just about ideal.’ ‘So the sentences you used in this study were sentences you knew the meaning of, whether because there was an English translation, or because the teacher demonstrated the meaning.’ ‘Yes, both. Sometimes one and sometimes the other.’ ‘Nevertheless, in class you left the English aside, and that was the big feature as you perceived it.’  伯特继续说,对于面对面的目的,并且理解新闻、电台之类的事情,我发现这些方法只是一个理想。因此,在学习时,你经常使用的句子,我你知道意思的句子,无论因为这是一个英语翻译,或者因为老师显示了意思。是的,二者都是,有时是一种,有时是另外一种。然而,在教室课堂里,你离开英语一边,那是你认为他的最大特点。

‘Yes, all new vocabulary was explained in Chinese - learning it as a native would learn it, more or less. Then in the later stages. with college textbooks and the like, we had to do a lot of preparation outside of class. A lot of dictionary work, and then come in and recapitulate in class what had been read the preceding night. This was basically an hour a day throughout the course. At other hours, we’d do other things, such as culture.’ ‘Again in Chinese.’ ‘Oh, yes, in Chinese.’ 是的,所有汉语解释的生词,学习它,作为本地的母语将要学习它,或多或少,然后在稍后阶段,用大学教科书或者类似的,我们必须做大量的课外准备,很多查字典工作,然后进入教室,在前夜已经进行了阅读重温,这些基本上每天需要一个小时来完成这个过程,在其他时间,我们将会做其他事情,比如文化。再一次用汉语。奥,是的,用汉语。
‘And in the progression from first-grade texts to college texts and radio plays, and hearing about Chinese culture in Chinese, there was a certain authenticity there. An authenticity that made it easier when you went out of the school to talk to people. You didn’t run into any discontinuity or barrier or anything.’ ‘Right. Right .’ ‘You were very quickly getting into genuine use of Chinese, based on what you had studied in a very mechanical way.’ 在一年级课文到大学课本和广播剧的进程中,听到了汉语的中华文化,这里是确定真实的,一个真实情况得到他是比较容易的,当你走出学校跟别人说话的时候就可以得到,你没有遇到任何障碍、间断或任何东西。对,对的。你很快就可以进入中国使用汉语,基于你已经用非常机械的方式来学习。

‘Yes, and that was quite different from what’s going on in the language I’m studying now. Here they turn everything into translation practice, even drills that I’m fairly sure the author didn’t intend to be used that way. I think all of us have been feeling that we need more interaction with the language.’ ‘Interaction with the language, whether through meaningful conversation, or just through repetition . . .’ ‘Exactly! In other words, something that will burn the patterns into our brains!’是的,那是有很大区别的,从我现在持续地语言学习方面来看,在这里,他们将任何事物都变成了翻译的实践,甚至演练,我非常肯定的是,专家没有人打算用这种方法,我想,我们都一直觉得,我们需要更多的语言交流。互动的语言,无论通过有意义的对话,还是通过重复。。。太棒了~!换句话说,一些事情将会进入我们的大脑形成燃烧的模式。
Comments 评论
As Bert reads authentic materials written by and for Chinese people, he is not only picking up how the purely linguistic elements fit together; he is also finding out what meanings exist in Chinese life that do not exist in his native culture, and how some of these meanings are connected to one another.  作为伯特阅读书面真实材料通过中国人,他不只是捡起来这个问题:怎样将纯粹的语言元素结合在一起?他也发现这个问题:什么意思存在于汉语的生活中,而不是存在于他的本土文化中,以及这些意思如何连接,怎样使得一个意思和另外一个意思的联系在一起?
Bert reacts quite differently to translation than he did to paraphrase. One part of the reason for his preference is certainly that in paraphrasing, the original was in Chinese. Perhaps anothr part of the reason is that in paraphrase he had to first form in his mind a nonverbal image of the meaning of the original. Then in making his Chinese paraphrase, he had to draw on that imagery, just as in normal speaking we try to express meaning-images that we have in our minds. In translation. on the other hand, he was working from a set of English words.  伯特他套用的复述方式与翻译是两种截然不同的反应,一部分原因是,他偏爱的当然是复述,原来是用汉语复述。可能另外的原因是,他必须先复述在他大脑里面形成的原始意义的非语言图像,然后,在制作出来他的汉语复述,他不得不利用刻画出图像,就像正常讲话的时候,我们试图在我们到脑海里表达图像含义一样,在翻译的时候,另一方面,他的工作是设置英语单词的工作。
To me, the most interesting part of this segment is Bert’s last statement. In 2.1.1, we saw an English example of what Bert means by a ‘pattern’: we automatically use am after I, is after he, she, if, and are after we, you, they. ‘Burning patterns into brains’ is a concept typical of Audio-Lingual thinking, though it did not originate there. This kind of activity concentrates on the realm of language form, with little or no attention to the realm of meaning. It is really a kind of ‘stockpiling,’ like what we saw in 1.2.5. There are two obvious differences: 对我来说,最有意思的是伯特最后部分的说明,在2.1.1,我看到伯特意思的模式的一个英语例子,我们在 I 之后自动使用 am,在he和she之后使用 is,如果在we、you、they之后使用are,燃烧模式进入大脑,是一种音频舌头语音思考方式的典型概念,虽然不是起源于那里,这类活动集中在语言形式的境界领域,很少或者没有注意含义的境界领域,这实际上是一种存储,就像我们看到的1.2.5一样,这是而这明显的区别:
1 What Bert is stockpiling is grammatical reflexes, while Ann was trying to  stockpile vocabulary.伯特储存的是语法反射,而安储存的是词汇。
  2  Bert seems quite content with doing such things; Ann clearly was not.  伯特似乎非常注重做这些事情的内容,而安很清楚的不是。
The ‘burning’ metaphor probably comes from the branding of cattle, a process which causes temporary pain but produces permanent results. In language study it refers to the performance of many dozens, even hundreds of repetitions, either oral or written. In deciding whether to study in this way. one must compare the pain (tedium, fatigue, frustration, wondering ‘Is it worth it?‘) against the result (improved control of some feature of the language). For some learners the balance will go in one direction, while for others it will go in the other.  这烧的比喻可能来源于烧牛肉,这个过程导致暂时的痛苦,但是会产生永久地效果。在语言学习中,是指十多种表现,甚至说百种重复,无论口语还是写作。决定是否学习这种方法。一个是必然是比较痛苦(单调、疲劳、沮丧,不知道这样做是否值得吗?)对于这个结果(改善提高一种语言的特性的控制),对于一些学员的平衡,一些会走向一个方向,一些会走向另一方面,在二者之间实现一个平衡。

Working with the ideas  工作与思考
1. Suppose you received an important document whose number was A9035591-D. How would you go about memorizing the number so that you could be sure of being able to produce it accurately when needed?  假如你收到一份重要的文件,那是一组数字:A9035591-d。那么,你会怎样记住这些数字,实际上当你需要他的时候,你能够确定能够准确地产生它?
2. How have you reacted (or how do you think you would react) to being put through the same oral drill ten times without stopping? 你会如何反应(或者你认为你会如何反应),让它通过十次训练说出同样的口语而不会停止?
只看该作者 31 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.1.4 How important is native-like pronunciation?
n Meaning-bearing differences in sound vs
n Social and personal significance of nuances.
28 Success with Foreign Languages
‘What about your pronunciation?’ I asked.
‘It’s lousy!’ Bert confessed. ‘In any language I speak, I’ll speak with a Chicago
accent, I have no doubt. By and large I seem to be able to reproduce sounds with no
difficulty. But intonation gives me a great deal of difficulty.’
For me, the word ‘intonation’ has to do with the way the pitch of the voice rises
and falls. In Chinese, two words with quite different meanings may have the same
vowels and consonants, but differ only in the pitch pattern that they carry. So I
asked, ‘Such as the tones in Chinese?’
‘Tones, no. I can reproduce the tones in Chinese. That’s no problem. If you give
me a single character, I can give you the pronunciation and the tone. But putting it
together in a long sentence, inevitably I’m going to come out with a foreign
intonation. No question about it. My pronunciation was rated as something that can
be understood easily enough, but that’s still noticeably foreign in intonation.’
I concluded that Bert was talking about what most people call a ‘foreign accent.’
‘As I think back, no one ever corrected this,’ Bert recalled. ‘It was enough for our
teachers if we got the sounds and the tone of a word correct. Which I think is fair
enough. After all, my face is white and my eyes are round and my nose is big. So I’ll
never be mistaken for a Chinese. My objective was simply to be understood easily.’
‘You don’t see yourself as much of a mimic in foreign languages?’
‘No, I don’t. No.’
Comments
Why do some people develop excellent pronunciation in foreign languages, while
others retain a strong accent? No one knows for sure. One guess is that it is
something like musical ability. A few people seem to have been born ‘tone-deaf,’
while a few others naturally have the ability to acquire ‘perfect pitch.’ Maybe the
ability to pick up accents is innate in the same way.
Another guess is that the difference is due to the meaning of accents. Children as
they grow up tend to copy very closely the pronunciation of those around them. But
small differences in pronunciation are used in two ways. One is to tell words apart:
the difference between English deed and did, for example. In many other languages
this same difference in sound never makes a difference in meaning. Speakers of
those languages tend to confuse deed with did, or eat with it, when they use English.
Bert’s Chinese must have been pretty good in this respect: ‘My pronunciation was
rated as something that can be understood easily enough’; and ‘If you give me a
written character, I can give you the pronunciation and the tone.’
In the same way, speakers of English have trouble hearing and producing the
difference between French vous ‘you’ and vue ‘vision.’ They tend to use the same
vowel that they use for their native English pronunciation of two. For most English
speakers, that sound is closer to the one in French vow. For others, however, their
vowel in two is closer to French vue. Both vowel sounds exist in English, then; which
one you use depends not on what you mean, but on where you are from. And this is
the second use of small differences in pronunciation: to show which group you
belong to, geographically and socially.
A Formal Learner: Bert 29
A ‘foreign accent’ consists of many small differences of pronunciation. Some of
these differences are of the first kind - the kind that serve to distinguish words of
different meanings. Most of them, however, are of the second kind - the kind that
indicate identification with one or another group. In this view, people’s ability or
inability to acquire a ‘good accent’ may actually say something about their
willingness or unwillingness to sound like someone outside their home group. Bert’s
remark is of interest here. He didn’t mind not having been taught an accurate accent
in Chinese: ‘After all, my face is white and my eyes are round and my nose is big. So
I’ll never be mistaken for a Chinese.’ This is quite different from what we will hear
Ed (see 5.1.3), Frieda (see 6.3.4) and Gwen (see 7.2.2) saying later on.
Working with the ideas
1. If you have ever studied a foreign language, what are some of the new sound
distinctions that you had to learn in order to keep different words from
sounding the same?
2. Within your native language, which other geographical or social groups would
you be most comfortable sounding like? Which least comfortable?

2.1.4 How important is native-like pronunciation?  象母语一样的发音有多么重要?

内容提要:
1  Meaning-bearing differences in sound vs  意思包含不同声音的对比
  2  Social and personal significance of nuances. 社会意义和个人意义的细微区别

‘What about your pronunciation?’ I asked.‘It’s lousy!’ Bert confessed. ‘In any language I speak, I’ll speak with a Chicago accent, I have no doubt. By and large I seem to be able to reproduce sounds with no difficulty. But intonation gives me a great deal of difficulty.’ For me, the word ‘intonation’ has to do with the way the pitch of the voice rises and falls. In Chinese, two words with quite different meanings may have the same vowels and consonants, but differ only in the pitch pattern that they carry. So I asked, ‘Such as the tones in Chinese?’  你的发音怎么样?我问道,我的发音很糟糕。波特承认。 我说任何语言,我都有芝加哥的口音,这个我没有怀疑,整体来说,我似乎能够重现语音,没有困难,但是语调给我带来很大困难,对我来说,这单词的语调必须选择声调和降调的方法,在汉语里,两个字有完全相同的韵母和声母,但是可能有不同的意思,区别只是挑选他们携带到模式不同,所以我问,比如汉语的语调怎样?

‘Tones, no. I can reproduce the tones in Chinese. That’s no problem. If you give me a single character, I can give you the pronunciation and the tone. But putting it together in a long sentence, inevitably I’m going to come out with a foreign intonation. No question about it. My pronunciation was rated as something that can be understood easily enough, but that’s still noticeably foreign in intonation.’ I concluded that Bert was talking about what most people call a ‘foreign accent.’ ‘As I think back, no one ever corrected this,’ Bert recalled. ‘It was enough for our teachers if we got the sounds and the tone of a word correct. Which I think is fair enough. After all, my face is white and my eyes are round and my nose is big. So I’ll never be mistaken for a Chinese. My objective was simply to be understood easily.’ ‘You don’t see yourself as much of a mimic in foreign languages?’ ‘No, I don’t. No.’  声调,不,我能重现汉语到声调。 那时没有问题。如果你给我一个单独的符号,我能给你它的声音和声调,但是将一个长句子将他们放在一起,不可避免地,我将会带着外国的语调。毫无疑问,那是没有问题,我的语音被评价为作为可以容易理解的事情就足够了。但是那是仍然可以注意到明显是外国语调,我的结论是,波特告诉的多数人称作的外国口音,我回想到,没有人曾经纠正过这些,波特回忆道,如果我们得到了我们的老师的纠正就足够了,对于我们的发音和单词的语调的来说,我认为这不够公平,毕竟所有这些以后,我的脸是白的,我的眼睛是圆的,我的鼻子是大鼻子,所以,我从来不会被误认为是中国人,我的目的是简单地理解。 你没有看到你自己模仿了大量的外语吗?不,我没有,不是。
Comments  评论
Why do some people develop excellent pronunciation in foreign languages, while others retain a strong accent? No one knows for sure. One guess is that it is something like musical ability. A few people seem to have been born ‘tone-deaf,’ while a few others naturally have the ability to acquire ‘perfect pitch.’ Maybe the ability to pick up accents is innate in the same way. 为什么一些人在外语方面发展成了很好的语音,而其他一些人却始终保留着很重的口音呢?没有人知道确切的真实原因。一个猜测是,那是因为一些人具有音乐能力,而一些人视乎一出生就是音盲,少数另外的一些人自然地获得了完美音调的能力,也许挑选与口音能力是与生俱有的用同样的方式。

Another guess is that the difference is due to the meaning of accents. Children as they grow up tend to copy very closely the pronunciation of those around them. But small differences in pronunciation are used in two ways. One is to tell words apart:the difference between English deed and did, for example. In many other languages this same difference in sound never makes a difference in meaning. Speakers of those languages tend to confuse deed with did, or eat with it, when they use English. Bert’s Chinese must have been pretty good in this respect: ‘My pronunciation was rated as something that can be understood easily enough’; and ‘If you give me a written character, I can give you the pronunciation and the tone.’  另一种猜测是,口音的含义有关的线索是不同的,小孩在成长过程中,想要模仿,就非常密切地注视着周围的发音,但是,通常采用的两种方法有细微的差异,一个是告诉单词的部分差异,想到deed和did就迷惑不清,到底在英语deed和did之间有什么区别,例如,许多其他的语言,同样的区别只是在于语音,而从来没有在含义上制造一个区别。那些语言底发言者,往往混淆deed和did,或者eat和it的区别,但他们使用英语的时候。波特的汉语一定是在这个方面做得很好,我的声音被评价为这样的事情,他已经足以做到容易理解,如果你给我一个书面符号,我能给你一个它的语音和声调。

In the same way, speakers of English have trouble hearing and producing the difference between French vous ‘you’ and vue ‘vision.’ They tend to use the same vowel that they use for their native English pronunciation of two. For most English speakers, that sound is closer to the one in French vow. For others, however, their vowel in two is closer to French vue. Both vowel sounds exist in English, then; which one you use depends not on what you mean, but on where you are from. And this is the second use of small differences in pronunciation: to show which group you belong to, geographically and socially. 用同样的方法,英语发言者会有听力麻烦,并且在法语的vous“你”和vue“视野”之间产生差异,他们想要使用一样的元音vow韵母,那个他们使用对于本地英语的两个读音,对于多数英语发言者来说,那个声音接近于一个法语的vow。对于其他的人来说,然而,他们的两个元音vow接近于法语vue。两个元音的声音都存在于英语之中,那么,哪一个你使用的时候不依赖于你的意思的什么内容就可以辨别处理吗?但是在你从哪里来的什么地方人的问题来说,这是第二个使用语音细微区别:显示出来你属于地理和社会的哪一组的语音。

A ‘foreign accent’ consists of many small differences of pronunciation. Some of these differences are of the first kind - the kind that serve to distinguish words of different meanings. Most of them, however, are of the second kind - the kind that indicate identification with one or another group. In this view, people’s ability or inability to acquire a ‘good accent’ may actually say something about their willingness or unwillingness to sound like someone outside their home group. Bert’s remark is of interest here. He didn’t mind not having been taught an accurate accent in Chinese: ‘After all, my face is white and my eyes are round and my nose is big. So I’ll never be mistaken for a Chinese.’ This is quite different from what we will hear Ed (see  .1.3), Frieda (see 6.3.4) and Gwen (see 7.2.2) saying later on.  一个外语包括许多与语音的细微区别。这些区别是第一种,这种区别服务于不同意思单词的差异,他们对大多数,然而,属于第二类差异,这类差异一组合另一组区分的重要意义,根据这个观点,人么的能力,或者获得一个好的口音的语调,可能实际上说他们愿意或者不愿意说一些事情,听起来就像一些人是在他们家乡组织的外面一样的道理,就有了口音的区别,波特的口音地标志就属于这个我们感兴趣的地方所在,他并不介意没有教会汉语的正确口音,毕竟,我的脸是白的,我的眼睛是圆的,我的鼻子是大的,所以,我从来都不会被人误认为是中国人。这是与我们听到的爱得(见1.3)、费拉德(见6.3.4)、格温(见7.2.2 )有很大区别的,以后我们要说。

Working with the ideas 工作与思考
1. If you have ever studied a foreign language, what are some of the new sound distinctions that you had to learn in order to keep different words from
sounding the same? 如果你曾经学习一门外语,新的语音区别是什么,你必须学习,为了从相同的语音中保持区别单词的能力?
2. Within your native language, which other geographical or social groups would you be most comfortable sounding like? Which least comfortable?当你进入你的母语的时候,哪一个其他的地域和社会组织的声音,将使你喜欢听起来更舒服?哪一个最舒服?

只看该作者 32 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.1.5 Memorization of texts
l ‘Learning and ‘acquisition’ again.
n Problems with mixing social levels in beginning
materials.
‘What about memorizing connected texts in a foreign language, such as dialogs or
little stories or the like?’ I asked. ‘Is that something you thrive on, something you
can do but don’t care for, something you detest?’
‘Well, this is essentially what we were required to do in Chinese. Within reason,
of course. I mean, one doesn’t sit down and memorize three pages of text - of
narrative, but there is something to be . . .’
‘Memorization wasn’t something that particularly bothered you?’
‘No. No, within reason. By that I mean that one had to have assurance that this
was what people really said. If I was going to spend the time on it, I wanted to be
sure it was going to be worth the effort.’
‘But memorizing twenty or twenty-five lines, or something like that . . .’
‘No, that didn’t bother me.’
‘You’d go home and do it, and bring it back the next day, and . . .’
‘Yes, and I stress that because, with the text we’re now using in this language, I
think all of us have a feeling that the language in the book is rather stilted and
artificial, and not necessarily what we’d be saying.’
30 Success with Foreign Languages
‘That feature of the Chinese course was what gave you an instinct for what is
actually said in the language - for how sentences are put together.’
‘Yes. In this language I feel that I just have countless patterns sort of swimming
around in my head.’
Comments
Bert is complaining that in his present course, samples of language appropriate for
one situation or one social level are mixed with samples appropriate for other
situations and levels. This causes trouble whether he is ‘learning’ or ‘acquiring’ the
language. (In Chinese he seems to have done some of both.) ‘Learning,’ in the
narrow sense described in 1.1.2, is something like playing an intellectual game. To
ask a learner to keep track of new patterns on more than one social or geographical
level is like asking a new checkers player to play on a three-dimensional board.
‘Acquisition’ is more like developing a new self, and the same complications can
keep that self from developing in a well-integrated way. To use yet another figure of
speech, Bert must have felt like a beginning marksman who is asked to shoot at a
moving target before he has learned to hit a stationary one.
Working with the ideas
1. Which variety of language would you prefer to meet first as a learner?
2. Examine a textbook for teaching your language to speakers of other languages.
What variety or varieties of the language does it teach? Colloquial? Formal?
Spoken? Written?

2.1.5 Memorization of texts  文本的记忆
内容提要:
1  ‘Learning and ‘acquisition’ again.  习得和再次获得
2  Problems with mixing social levels in beginning materials.在开始使用的学习材料里面,混杂着一些社会层面的问题

‘What about memorizing connected texts in a foreign language, such as dialogs or little stories or the like?’ I asked. ‘Is that something you thrive on, something you can do but don’t care for, something you detest?’  ‘Well, this is essentially what we were required to do in Chinese. Within reason, of course. I mean, one doesn’t sit down and memorize three pages of text - of narrative, but there is something to be . . .’ ‘Memorization wasn’t something that particularly bothered you?’  一个外语连续的文本怎样才能记住呢?比如对话或者类似的小故事什么的?我问道:一些事情你已经浏览到了,一些事情你可以做,但是你并不关心,或者,一些事情你讨厌他所以你不想尝试吗?这是我们最后需要练习汉语的原因,由于这个原因,我的意思是说,当然,一个人不能坐下来背下来记住三页的文本,对于叙述总结之类,但是一些事情就是。。。记忆的一些事情没有给你带来特别的麻烦吗?
‘No. No, within reason. By that I mean that one had to have assurance that this was what people really said. If I was going to spend the time on it, I wanted to be sure it was going to be worth the effort.’ ‘But memorizing twenty or twenty-five lines, or something like that . . .’ ‘No, that didn’t bother me.’ ‘You’d go home and do it, and bring it back the next day, and . . .’ ‘Yes, and I stress that because, with the text we’re now using in this language, I think all of us have a feeling that the language in the book is rather stilted and artificial, and not necessarily what we’d be saying.’ 不,不麻烦,其中的原因是,我的意思是说,一个人必须有保证是人们真正在说话,如果我想花费一些时间在上面的话。我想确定他的是,我将会有值得努力,但是背诵记忆20到30行,一些事情就像那个。。。不,那不会打扰我。你会回家做完,然后在下一天再带回来,并且。。。是的,我猜测原因,我们现在使用这个语言的文本,我想,我们所有的人都有一个感觉,在书中的语言,不但是做作的,还是人为的,是我们说话不需要的,而不是我们一定就会说的语言。

‘That feature of the Chinese course was what gave you an instinct for what is actually said in the language - for how sentences are put together.’ ‘Yes. In this language I feel that I just have countless patterns sort of swimming around in my head.’  这个汉语课程过程中的特点,是给了你在语言中实际说话的什么本能,就是怎样将句子放在一起。是的,在这个语言中,我感觉到我只是拥有了无数围绕我脑海里面游离模式。
Comments  评论
Bert is complaining that in his present course, samples of language appropriate for one situation or one social level are mixed with samples appropriate for other situations and levels. This causes trouble whether he is ‘learning’ or ‘acquiring’ the language. (In Chinese he seems to have done some of both.) ‘Learning,’ in the narrow sense described in 1.1.2, is something like playing an intellectual game. To ask a learner to keep track of new patterns on more than one social or geographical level is like asking a new checkers player to play on a three-dimensional board.  伯特抱怨现在的课程,语言方法的例子,对于一个情景或整个一个社会层面,是与其他的情景和层面的例子方法混在一起的,这些都造成了很大的麻烦,无论他是习得还是获得语言。(在汉语学习中好想二者都有)。习得,在狭义的描述在1,1,2,一些事情就像玩一个智力游戏,去问一个学习者,怎样保持新的模式的跟踪,超过一个社会和地理区域层面,就像问一个球员怎样在一个三维板上进行投篮表演一样。
‘Acquisition’ is more like developing a new self, and the same complications can keep that self from developing in a well-integrated way. To use yet another figure of speech, Bert must have felt like a beginning marksman who is asked to shoot at a moving target before he has learned to hit a stationary one.  获得更像开发一个新的自我,并且同样的应用可以保持自己开发出来良好的发展方式,也可以使用另外的图来说话,伯特必然会有一个感觉,就像开始的记分员,他在问一个射手,在射击一个移动到靶子之前,他已经练习射击一个固定的靶子一样。

1. Which variety of language would you prefer to meet first as a learner? 哪种语言你想去采访一下,看看这第一个学习者的情况作为自己的参考吗?
2. Examine a textbook for teaching your language to speakers of other languages. What variety or varieties of the language does it teach? Colloquial? Formal? Spoken? Written?检查你的语言一个教科书为了教你的语言去说其他的语言,他可以教会什么样的语言,这个教科室他教的是俗语、正常用语、口语,还是写作呢?
只看该作者 33 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.2 Bert’s other activities
Others of the things Bert told me about were not clearly derived from the techniques
that are standard in Audio-Lingual language study.
2.2.1 Memorizing individual words
H Vocabulary cards.
m The importance of personality type (Myers-Briggs
test, etc.).
‘Anything in the general area of learning vocabulary?’ I inquired. ‘Some people use
word cards, and some people do other things.’
‘I’ve done it both ways. Really, I swore off cards.’ Bert paused. ‘I have a trick
memory,’ he went on. ‘That’s probably the thing I’m best at in language learning. I
A formal Learner: Bert 31
do tend to remember words for everything. So in the past I never did cards. This
time, I thought I’d do it. When I make cards now, I make a card with the word, but
I always do a full sentence, and then attempt to know the word in the sentence. I
think making cards with a vocabulary word and then a corresponding word in
English is a waste of time because you don’t know how it’s used.’
‘Then what you do is put the foreign language sentence on one side . . .’
‘What I do is put the foreign word on one side, and a whole sentence using the
word on the other side.’
‘Aha! Then the whole card is in the foreign language!’
‘As I said, I think my trick memory was what let me get a perfect score on the
aptitude test.’
‘A memory that lets you get things back mostly visually?’
‘Yes, it’s primarily visual. In Chinese I could give you the shape of the written
character along with the pronunciation and the tone. If you give me a list of things, I
can memorize them somewhat more rapidly than most other people.’
‘That must be very handy!’
‘Well, yes, but it doesn’t at all mean I’m going to be able to put them into a nice
fluent sentence. But in Russian and French it kept me from having to study at
home.’
‘You didn’t necessarily write it down. You just heard the word used in discourse,
or you heard that this Russian word means this English word, or . . .’
‘Yes, both ways. Back when I was a kid I could memorize baseball averages very
easily, too. That kind of thing. Not particularly admirable. It’s just there.’
‘But you do find, though, that if you get into the middle of a sentence in a foreign
language, and you want to say something, that you can sort of turn on this memory
and pick out the word you need? Or doesn’t it work that way?’
‘If language were only a series of vocabulary words strung together, I’d do fine!’
Comments
In making his flashcards, Bert makes no use at all of his native language. He simply
relates a word in the foreign language to a sentence in the same language. That way
he avoids interference from English. (Of course, that sentence must be one that he
can largely understand, so that it provides context for the word.)
Both Bert and Ann had something to say about the learning of vocabulary lists.
But where Ann despaired of it, Bert has a special gift for it. We will meet many
more examples of just how different outstanding learners are from one another.
Some scholars have investigated relationships that exist between differences of
psychological type, and differences in how people learn languages. One such study
concluded that:
the current approach [my italics] to presenting material and structuring learning is better
suited in general to learners (a) who are able to work alone efficiently, to concentrate well,
and avoid outside distractions (Introverted); (b) who tend to be global learners, have a
natural flair for abstract thinking and have a tolerance for theory (Intuitive); and (c) who
like to live life in a planned, orderly, and organized way (Judging).”
32 Success with Foreign Languages
(The terms Introverted, Intuitive and Judging are used here as they are in the
Myers-Briggs Type-Indicator studies.)
Working with the ideas
1. Bert remarks that language learning is more than just learning words. List
some other knowledge and skills that are required in order to control a new
language. (Your list may come from your experiences as a language learner, or
from the comments on the preceding sections of this book.)
2. Carroll (see 1.1.1) and Omaggio (see 1.2.6) have provided lists of
characteristics of successful language learners. Review Bert’s interview with
those lists before you.
In what ways is Bert’s description of himself consistent with those lists? In
what ways is it inconsistent? Support your answers with quotations from the
interview.
3. How would you guess Bert and Ann compare with regard to the description
given at the end of the comments for this section, based on the Myers-Briggs
Type-Indicator? What possible links do you see between these traits and the
ways in which these two people went at language?

2.2 Bert’s other activities 伯特的其他活动
Others of the things Bert told me about were not clearly derived from the techniques that are standard in Audio-Lingual language study. 其他的事,伯特告诉我没有明确的技术建议,那是在音频舌头语言学习标准
2.2.1 Memorizing individual words  个别单词记忆
内容提要:
1  Vocabulary cards. 词汇卡
2  The importance of personality type (Myers-Briggs test, etc.).人格类型的重要性(迈尔斯、布雷格斯测试等)

‘Anything in the general area of learning vocabulary?’ I inquired. ‘Some people use word cards, and some people do other things.’ ‘I’ve done it both ways. Really, I swore off cards.’ Bert paused. ‘I have a trick memory,’ he went on. ‘That’s probably the thing I’m best at in language learning. I A formal Learner: Bert 31 do tend to remember words for everything. So in the past I never did cards. This time, I thought I’d do it. When I make cards now, I make a card with the word, but I always do a full sentence, and then attempt to know the word in the sentence. I think making cards with a vocabulary word and then a corresponding word in English is a waste of time because you don’t know how it’s used.’  任何事情都是大面积学习词汇吗?我问,有些人使用词卡,有些人做其他事情。我这两种方法都做,做到了兼收并蓄。真的,我发誓用了很多卡。伯特暂停了一下,我有一个存储记忆的技巧,他接着说,这可能是我最擅长学习的语言,我是一个正常学习者。伯特31想记忆任何单词,所以,在过去从来没有做单词卡。这时,我想做一个单词卡。当我现在做一个卡的时候,我做一个单词卡,但是我已经用在一个完整的句子,然后,试图了解在句子中的单词。我认为,制作一个用于一个单词的词汇,然后,一个相应的单词在英语中是浪费时间,因为你不知道怎样使用它。

‘Then what you do is put the foreign language sentence on one side . . .’ ‘What I do is put the foreign word on one side, and a whole sentence using the word on the other side.’ ‘Aha! Then the whole card is in the foreign language!’ ‘As I said, I think my trick memory was what let me get a perfect score on the aptitude test.’ ‘A memory that lets you get things back mostly visually?’ ‘Yes, it’s primarily visual. In Chinese I could give you the shape of the written character along with the pronunciation and the tone. If you give me a list of things, I can memorize them somewhat more rapidly than most other people.’ ‘That must be very handy!’ 那么,你怎样放到这个外语句子在一边?。。。我怎样放一个外语句子在一边,并且完整地句子使用在另一边的单词。啊哈!这时在外语中的完整单词卡啊! 作为我说过的,我认为,我的记忆技巧是怎样让我在能力测验中中获得一个满分,记忆,让你得到返回视觉上的东西吗? 是的,他主要地是视觉的。用汉语,我可给你写字符,伴随着语音和声调的书面样品,如果你给我一个东西的名单,我可以迅速记住他们怎样,而超过多数其他人。这一定是非常方便!

‘Well, yes, but it doesn’t at all mean I’m going to be able to put them into a nice  fluent sentence. But in Russian and French it kept me from having to study at home.’ ‘You didn’t necessarily write it down. You just heard the word used in discourse, or you heard that this Russian word means this English word, or . . .’ ‘Yes, both ways. Back when I was a kid I could memorize baseball averages very easily, too. That kind of thing. Not particularly admirable. It’s just there.’ ‘But you do find, though, that if you get into the middle of a sentence in a foreign language, and you want to say something, that you can sort of turn on this memory and pick out the word you need? Or doesn’t it work that way?’ ‘If language were only a series of vocabulary words strung together, I’d do fine!’  哇,是的,但是他不是所有的意思,我会有能力将他们放进一个流利 好句子。但是,在俄语和法语里,我还保持着回家学习的习惯。你不需要写下它来,你刚才听到的单词是在话语中使用的字,或者你听到俄语单词意思,这些英语单词,或者什么的。。。是的,两种方法都有。回来看,当我还是一个小孩的时候,我可记忆棒球比分也非常容易,那就是这类的事情,没有什么特别的自夸。只是在那里。但是,你发现,虽然,如果你进入一个外语句子中间,你想说一些东西,你可以提取出来这类记忆,并挑选出你需要的字吗?或者没有这种工作方法?如果语言只是一个单词词汇序列串在一起,我会做得很好。
   Comments 评论
In making his flashcards, Bert makes no use at all of his native language. He simply relates a word in the foreign language to a sentence in the same language. That way he avoids interference from English. (Of course, that sentence must be one that he can largely understand, so that it provides context for the word.) Both Bert and Ann had something to say about the learning of vocabulary lists. But where Ann despaired of it, Bert has a special gift for it. We will meet many more examples of just how different outstanding learners are from one another.  在制作这些flash教学卡时,伯特制作的没有用在所有的他的母语里,他简单地用在外语一个单词到一个句子的关系上。那个方法可以避免对英语的干扰。(当然,那个句子必须是可以大量理解的,所以,他提供了单词的文本。)伯特和安两人都去说关于学习词汇表的东西,但是,安是反对它的。伯特拥有了一个词汇卡的礼物,我们将要看到更多的例子,只是一个优秀的成功学习者如何与另一个不同。
Some scholars have investigated relationships that exist between differences of psychological type, and differences in how people learn languages. One such study concluded that: the current approach [my italics] to presenting material and structuring learning is better suited in general to learners (a) who are able to work alone efficiently, to concentrate well, and avoid outside distractions (Introverted); (b) who tend to be global learners, have a natural flair for abstract thinking and have a tolerance for theory (Intuitive); and (c) who like to live life in a planned, orderly, and organized way (Judging).” (The terms Introverted, Intuitive and Judging are used here as they are in the Myers-Briggs Type-Indicator studies.) 一些学者有一个调查,存在着不同类型的心理学之间的关系,和人们怎样不同学习语言。其中一个学习的总结是:目前的方法,我用楷体的现有材料和学习结构是最好地适应于一般学习者。1. 他能有效地独立工作,集中注意力很好,并且避免了外面的分心。(内向型);2 他想成为一个全球外语学习者,有一个作为抽象思维的自然风情,并有一个宽容的理论(直观型);3 他喜欢居住生活在一个有计划的、有秩序地并且有组织的方法中(生活型)。(这个内向型、直观性和生活性的团队是常用于这里作为他们在迈尔斯-布里格斯性指标的研究。)

1. Bert remarks that language learning is more than just learning words. List some other knowledge and skills that are required in order to control a new language. (Your list may come from your experiences as a language learner, or from the comments on the preceding sections of this book.)   伯特标志性言论,语言学习是更多的只是学习单词。一些其他知识的表和技能是需要的,以便控制一种新的语言。(你的表可能来自于你作为一种语言学习的经验,或者来自于评论,在这本书的前面几节的评论)
2. Carroll (see 1.1.1) and Omaggio (see 1.2.6) have provided lists of characteristics of successful language learners. Review Bert’s interview with those lists before you. In what ways is Bert’s description of himself consistent with those lists? In what ways is it inconsistent? Support your answers with quotations from the interview.  克罗尔(见1.1.1)和奥玛智奥(见1.2.6)提供的成功语言学习者的特色名单,回顾在你见到伯特的访谈用这些列表之前。什么方法是和伯特描述的他自己的这些表一致的?哪些方法是不一致的?从这个访谈支持你回答的问题。
3. How would you guess Bert and Ann compare with regard to the description given at the end of the comments for this section, based on the Myers-Briggs Type-Indicator? What possible links do you see between these traits and the ways in which these two people went at language?   你猜测比较一下伯特和安又怎样的不同,在这一节结束时的评论所描述给出的意见,基于迈尔斯-布利智斯的类型指标?你可能看到什么联系,你看到的这些训练和方法,在两人想要学习的语言之间?
只看该作者 34 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.2.2 A TECHNIQUE: imagery with vocabulary cards
A technique from Bert
In my own study of other languages I have used two variants of Bert’s technique.
One is to replace the word by a blank on the sentence side of the card. Then I can
start by looking at either side, and test myself by trying to give the other. A second
variant is to put the word on one side and some crude pictorial representation of its
meaning on the other. I’m very poor at drawing, but the fact that I’m the only one to
use the cards makes artistic quality irrelevant. The same principle applies here that
we saw in the experiment in 1.1.3: that the important thing is to make and use one’s
own images.
2.2.3 BOB: imagery and memorization
w Visual, visceral and other components of meaning
images.
Like Aileen, Bob was a language learner about whose overall skill or success I know
nothing. Toward the end of our interview, he talked to me about memorization.
‘As far as memorizing words is concerned, ’ Bob said, ‘I don’t have much trouble
A Formal Learner: Bert 33
with that. It’s best if I hear the word, and then later that evening, I’ll look at it.
Then I usually do the thing where I read the Turkish and block out the English, and
as soon as I can block out the English and recall it once [Bob snapped his fingers],
it’s there. I’m very unlikely ever to forget it again.’
‘You’ve got it then.’
‘Yes,’ Bob replied, ‘I can read the English and visualize the Turkish, or the other
way around.’
‘You said “visualize.” Does this mean you can see where it was on the page? That
sort of thing?’ I asked.
‘Sometimes. But mostly it’s like this. When I hear the Turkish word okul for
“school,” for example, I visualize the building, a school, the feeling of school, and
that’s what I try to associate with the Turkish word. The feeling of it, so I don’t have
to translate through English.’
‘Doing it the other way would . . .’
. . . would really mess things up. It may take me a little longer in the beginning,
to associate the feeling instead of the English word, but in the long run it speeds
things up. It helps my comprehension when they speak to me in class. The same
thing happened to me with Spanish in Bolivia.’
‘This really works for you.’
‘Oh, yes, and it works for dialogs, too. I try to read the sentence in Turkish, and
get the words down cold, so that I feel the meaning coming out of them. And then I
go on and feel what the whole dialog is. It’s like I put together a series of mental
pictures.’
‘And then when you say the dialog, you just talk about the pictures.’
‘Exactly! And if I miss a word here or there, then I know what to focus on the
next time.’
‘And gradually you get it verbatim.’
‘That’s right.’
‘And you do this primarily by forming and talking about mental pictures.’
‘Yes, but I don’t want to overemphasize the visual aspect. It’s not so much a
mental picture as a mental feeling.’
‘More of a visceral than a visual thing,’ I suggested.
‘Yeah, almost,’ Bob replied.
Comments
Bob’s description of how he memorizes is clearer than Bert’s. His means of
memorizing is also probably somewhat different from Bert’s. This excerpt illustrates
two points of considerable interest to the practical learner:
Nonverbal imagery as a whole combines many modalities: kinesthetic, visual,
auditory, emotional and all the rest.4 Out of this mass of data, some people
naturally form very clear and precise visual pictures, while others are able to do
this rarely or never. Bob seems to be in the second group. (So am I.) Some
writers of language textbooks are excellent visualizers. Such writers often
34 Success with Foreign Languages
assume that everyone else is like them in this respect. When they do, they are
likely to expect Bob and me to do things that we are incapable of. Bob and I,
in turn, may be just a little intimidated by other people’s descriptions of the
vivid visual images they are seeing in their mind’s eye.
n We have just seen that some people’s imagery is largely nonvisual: visceral or
emotional or kinesthetic or something else. No matter what kind of imagery
comes most naturally to you, it will be well worth your time to pause and
associate the new foreign word or sentence directly with that imagery, rather
than with some translation equivalent in your native language.
Working with the ideas
1. Suppose you needed to tell someone else how to go into the place where you
live and find your shoes. On what sorts of memories would you rely most
heavily? Vision? Motion?
2. How many different kinds of impressions do you get from a phrase like fresh
bread, or lumberjack? (You should list more than just the traditional ‘five
senses’ here!)

2.2.2 A TECHNIQUE: imagery with vocabulary cards  技术:词汇卡的形象
A technique from Bert  从伯特想到的一个技术
In my own study of other languages I have used two variants of Bert’s technique. One is to replace the word by a blank on the sentence side of the card. Then I can start by looking at either side, and test myself by trying to give the other. A second variant is to put the word on one side and some crude pictorial representation of its meaning on the other. I’m very poor at drawing, but the fact that I’m the only one to use the cards makes artistic quality irrelevant. The same principle applies here that we saw in the experiment in 1.1.3: that the important thing is to make and use one’s own images.  在我学习其他语言时,我使用了两种伯特的技术变体。一个是位置处于卡的句子一边的一个空白,然后,我能看到另一边,并测试我自己的试图给另外的人。第二种方式的变种是放单词在一边,一些粗略的图案代表他的意思在另一边。我画的很不好看,但是事实上那时只有我一个人使用这个卡,作为与艺术质量无关的。同样的原则适用于这里,我看到的经验在1.1.3:那个重要的事情是其制作和使用一个自己的形象。
2.2.3 BOB: imagery and memorization .勃勃:影像和记忆

内容提要:  Visual, visceral and other components of meaning images   视觉、内视和其他意义形象的组成
Like Aileen, Bob was a language learner about whose overall skill or success I know nothing. Toward the end of our interview, he talked to me about memorization. ‘As far as memorizing words is concerned, ’ Bob said, ‘I don’t have much trouble with that. It’s best if I hear the word, and then later that evening, I’ll look at it. Then I usually do the thing where I read the Turkish and block out the English, and as soon as I can block out the English and recall it once [Bob snapped his fingers], it’s there. I’m very unlikely ever to forget it again.’    像艾琳,鲍勃作为一个语言学习者,他的完整超级的技能和成功经验我看没有什么,当到达我们采访结束时,他告诉我们提起记忆问题,至于记忆单词来说没有太多的麻烦,鲍勃说,我没有多少困扰于那个问题,他是最好的,如果我听到这个单词,然后在那个晚上,我会看看它。然后,我通常做这件事情,那里我阅读土耳其语,并阻止使用英语,很快我就会阻止英语,我回想它一次。(鲍勃咬着她的手指头)他是在这里,我非常可能地甚至再次忘记它。

‘You’ve got it then.’‘Yes,’ Bob replied, ‘I can read the English and visualize the Turkish, or the other way around.’ ‘You said “visualize.” Does this mean you can see where it was on the page? That sort of thing?’ I asked.  ‘Sometimes. But mostly it’s like this. When I hear the Turkish word okul for “school,” for example, I visualize the building, a school, the feeling of school, and that’s what I try to associate with the Turkish word. The feeling of it, so I don’t have to translate through English.’ ‘Doing it the other way would . . .’ 然后,你会得到他,是的,鲍勃回答道,我能阅读英语,想象土耳其语,或者围绕着其他的方法。你说过想象,是不是你能看到他在哪一个网页?诸如此类的事情?我问道:有时。但是多数就像这个。当我听到土耳其单词如okul为学校,举例来说,我想象这大楼,一个学校,这种学校的感觉,并且我试图辅助用一个土耳其语的单词,这个他的感觉,所以,我没有通过英语翻译。会做其他的方法。
2.2.2 A TECHNIQUE: imagery with vocabulary cards  技术:词汇卡的形象
A technique from Bert  从伯特想到的一个技术
In my own study of other languages I have used two variants of Bert’s technique. One is to replace the word by a blank on the sentence side of the card. Then I can start by looking at either side, and test myself by trying to give the other. A second variant is to put the word on one side and some crude pictorial representation of its meaning on the other. I’m very poor at drawing, but the fact that I’m the only one to use the cards makes artistic quality irrelevant. The same principle applies here that we saw in the experiment in 1.1.3: that the important thing is to make and use one’s own images.  在我学习其他语言时,我使用了两种伯特的技术变体。一个是位置处于卡的句子一边的一个空白,然后,我能看到另一边,并测试我自己的试图给另外的人。第二种方式的变种是放单词在一边,一些粗略的图案代表他的意思在另一边。我画的很不好看,但是事实上那时只有我一个人使用这个卡,作为与艺术质量无关的。同样的原则适用于这里,我看到的经验在1.1.3:那个重要的事情是其制作和使用一个自己的形象。
2.2.3 BOB: imagery and memorization .勃勃:影像和记忆

内容提要:  Visual, visceral and other components of meaning images   视觉、内视和其他意义形象的组成
Like Aileen, Bob was a language learner about whose overall skill or success I know nothing. Toward the end of our interview, he talked to me about memorization. ‘As far as memorizing words is concerned, ’ Bob said, ‘I don’t have much trouble with that. It’s best if I hear the word, and then later that evening, I’ll look at it. Then I usually do the thing where I read the Turkish and block out the English, and as soon as I can block out the English and recall it once [Bob snapped his fingers], it’s there. I’m very unlikely ever to forget it again.’    像艾琳,鲍勃作为一个语言学习者,他的完整超级的技能和成功经验我看没有什么,当到达我们采访结束时,他告诉我们提起记忆问题,至于记忆单词来说没有太多的麻烦,鲍勃说,我没有多少困扰于那个问题,他是最好的,如果我听到这个单词,然后在那个晚上,我会看看它。然后,我通常做这件事情,那里我阅读土耳其语,并阻止使用英语,很快我就会阻止英语,我回想它一次。(鲍勃咬着她的手指头)他是在这里,我非常可能地甚至再次忘记它。

‘You’ve got it then.’‘Yes,’ Bob replied, ‘I can read the English and visualize the Turkish, or the other way around.’ ‘You said “visualize.” Does this mean you can see where it was on the page? That sort of thing?’ I asked.  ‘Sometimes. But mostly it’s like this. When I hear the Turkish word okul for “school,” for example, I visualize the building, a school, the feeling of school, and that’s what I try to associate with the Turkish word. The feeling of it, so I don’t have to translate through English.’ ‘Doing it the other way would . . .’ 然后,你会得到他,是的,鲍勃回答道,我能阅读英语,想象土耳其语,或者围绕着其他的方法。你说过想象,是不是你能看到他在哪一个网页?诸如此类的事情?我问道:有时。但是多数就像这个。当我听到土耳其单词如okul为学校,举例来说,我想象这大楼,一个学校,这种学校的感觉,并且我试图辅助用一个土耳其语的单词,这个他的感觉,所以,我没有通过英语翻译。会做其他的方法。
. . . would really mess things up. It may take me a little longer in the beginning, to associate the feeling instead of the English word, but in the long run it speeds things up. It helps my comprehension when they speak to me in class. The same thing happened to me with Spanish in Bolivia.’ ‘This really works for you.’ ‘Oh, yes, and it works for dialogs, too. I try to read the sentence in Turkish, and get the words down cold, so that I feel the meaning coming out of them. And then I go on and feel what the whole dialog is. It’s like I put together a series of mental
pictures.’ ‘And then when you say the dialog, you just talk about the pictures.’ ‘Exactly! And if I miss a word here or there, then I know what to focus on the next time.’ ‘And gradually you get it verbatim.’ ‘That’s right.’ ‘And you do this primarily by forming and talking about mental pictures.’ ‘Yes, but I don’t want to overemphasize the visual aspect. It’s not so much a mental picture as a mental feeling.’ ‘More of a visceral than a visual thing,’ I suggested. ‘Yeah, almost,’ Bob replied.  ...真的会大量的东西乱起。他可能在开始就弄的我们很长时间,去辅助这个感觉而不是英语单词。但是,在这个长跑中,他快速的事物就起来了,所以长期而言,就只是速度问题了。它能帮助我喷薄出来含神一般的理解,当我在课堂上对我说话聊闲嗑的时候。这是模子一样的事儿哈哈地喷发出来到我这里,周围事发生在玻利维亚说西班牙语的时候。这是真的重复着所有事情来了为你工作。奥,是的,并且它也把握课程工作为带唠嗑的对话。俺追着图地就是试图反复润色阅读这句子吟土耳其语,跟着盖得得到文字荡下来宕的酷冷的时候,嗖,所以那俺飞菲悠游的感觉啊,哇?什么的这好浩大豪华的带唠嗑说话净是全部这样。依次来客就像我扑腾放在一起阿色润来事一系列的门头的大脑精神的媲可图片之。俺等一会以后,俺够昂首挺胸地连续的菲林感觉啊,就像麦芽叶的意思亢鸣来了,整个地凹出了它们。并等着勾着上面连续的感觉,真正地体会到什么是逮着唠嗑说话的好大的机会了,就像放在一起的一系列图片一样。然后等着当你“噻”说这带唠嗑说话的时候啊,你就简直是刚才的告诉这媲美于这图片一样的想法刷刷地都说出来了。已可是咋搞的这么好哩!并如果我丢了单字带这里一个那里一个,有点丢三落四的话,等会儿我知道在缶一样的库房里集中总结整理一下就成了,昂在挨着的下一个课时。逐渐地罐聚哩你给他得到的逐个动词之类的文字他们。达的那个瑞特好极了。而你度的这些喷码锐哩主要的拜访通过蜂鸣和告诉包括你大脑头门的意念影像图片。也是啊,但是我洞的零没有妄图凹沃出已可是非得噻说之过分地强调这卫视遥控的视觉效果啊是朋可他方面,依次闹腾没有嗖嗖地码池子这么多的一个头门上的精神图像也是作为一个脑海的菲林感觉。嘛儿这么多卫视瑟尔奥视觉等于比一个卫视奥事儿多。我的事情该是这样做的建议道,耶呀,是啊, visceral 和 visual两个单词字面和读音, 奥貌似的差不多。视觉和直觉意思也差不多啊!鲍勃闰颇来的又比着来回答。
Comments  评论
Bob’s description of how he memorizes is clearer than Bert’s. His means of memorizing is also probably somewhat different from Bert’s. This excerpt illustrates two points of considerable interest to the practical learner: Nonverbal imagery as a whole combines many modalities: kinesthetic, visual, auditory, emotional and all the rest.4 Out of this mass of data, some people naturally form very clear and precise visual pictures, while others are able to do this rarely or never. Bob seems to be in the second group. (So am I.) Some writers of language textbooks are excellent visualizers. Such writers often assume that everyone else is like them in this respect. When they do, they are likely to expect Bob and me to do things that we are incapable of. Bob and I,  in turn, may be just a little intimidated by other people’s descriptions of the vivid visual images they are seeing in their mind’s eye.  鲍勃的描述的怎样埋没里之记忆是颗粒儿一样的清楚等于比伯特好。他指的埋没里之的记忆的含义也是这么恐怕不哩可能桑好的怎样与伯特不同。已可是赛选把他选择爱录噻是赘述他的说明两个抛音词观点肯噻的包能考虑因特视听兴趣图的是佩尔提课的实践学习。然而,一抹之想象也是好奥来比进入结合许多莫的里提至非语言:动觉、视觉、听觉、情感,和所有休息4出的数据质量,有些人自然形成非常清晰和准确的视觉图像,而其他有能力做到这些都很少或者从来没有。鲍勃视乎是属于第二组。(所以,我是)一些语言课本的作家都是具有优秀视觉效果的,比如其他这类作家假设每人也是像他们一样在这方面。当他们这样做的时候,他们是可能期望鲍勃和我去做这些事情,可是我们都没有这个能力。鲍勃和我,反过来,可能只是有点害怕其他人的描述,他们是在他们的脑海里面眼睛看到了视觉效果。

We have just seen that some people’s imagery is largely nonvisual: visceral or emotional or kinesthetic or something else. No matter what kind of imagery comes most naturally to you, it will be well worth your time to pause and associate the new foreign word or sentence directly with that imagery, rather than with some translation equivalent in your native language.我们只是看到一些人的想象在很大程度上是不可视的:内脏视觉、情感、动感或者别的东西。无论什么类型的形象的到来大多数都是自然给你,它将是非常值得你停下来,将新外语单词的或者句子,直接地用那些形象联系起来,而不是用一些翻译等值于你的母语。

1. Suppose you needed to tell someone else how to go into the place where you live and find your shoes. On what sorts of memories would you rely most heavily? Vision? Motion?  假如你需要告诉一些人怎样进入你的生活的地方找到你的鞋子,你会依靠多数的重量、远景还是运动等什么样类型的记忆?
2. How many different kinds of impressions do you get from a phrase like fresh bread, or lumberjack? (You should list more than just the traditional ‘five  senses’ here!)多少不同类型的展示,从你一个短语得到,比如新鲜面包或者兰博尔杰克?(你应该至少列出不仅是这个传统的五种感官在这里!)
只看该作者 35 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.2.4 A TECHNIQUE: Meaningful memorization of text
A Bob-technique
Here are two approaches to memorizing a poem or other text in your native
language:
1. Read the first line over and over until you can do it without looking at the
book. Then add the second line until you can meet the same criterion, and so
on until you reach the end of the poem. (Or do the same thing in writing
instead of orally.)
2. Read the poem silently or aloud a time or two, concentrating on ifs meaning.
Look away from the book and try to express in words the same ideas that were
in the poem. Look again at the poem, comparing your wording with that of the
original. Then express the ideas again in your own words, but trying to
approximate the words of the original. Repeat the process until ‘your wording’
and the poet’s wording are identical.
This second technique is more like what Bob did. Try it with a short poem in your
own language. Then use what you learn from it whenever you practice sentences or
texts in a language you are studying.

2.2.4 A TECHNIQUE: Meaningful memorization of text  一个技术:有意义的文本记忆
A Bob-technique  一个鲍勃技术
Here are two approaches to memorizing a poem or other text in your native language:  这里有2个方法去记忆一首诗或者其他文本用你的母语
1. Read the first line over and over until you can do it without looking at the book. Then add the second line until you can meet the same criterion, and so on until you reach the end of the poem. (Or do the same thing in writing instead of orally.)  阅读这第一行,超过一遍又一遍,直到你能在没有看书的情况下作出他来。然后增加到第二行,直到满足同样的标准等等,直到你到达这首诗歌的结束为止。(或者做同样的事情,用书写而不是口语。)
2. Read the poem silently or aloud a time or two, concentrating on ifs meaning. Look away from the book and try to express in words the same ideas that were in the poem. Look again at the poem, comparing your wording with that of the original. Then express the ideas again in your own words, but trying to approximate the words of the original. Repeat the process until ‘your wording’ and the poet’s wording are identical.  静静地阅读这诗歌,或者大声读一两次,集中在if 的意思。眼睛看着离开书本,尝试用单词表达在诗歌中的同样的想法。再看一次这个诗歌,比较你的措辞和原来的区别。然后,再一次用你自己的措辞,表达这个想法,但是试图用原来近似的单词。重复这一过程,知道你的措辞和诗人的措辞是相同的可以替代为止。
This second technique is more like what Bob did. Try it with a short poem in your own language. Then use what you learn from it whenever you practice sentences or texts in a language you are studying.这是第二个技术更像鲍勃做的什么,实验用你自己的语言写一首短诗。然后,使用你从他那里学习的什么,无论你练习句子或者文本时,在一个语言中你是正在学习。
只看该作者 36 发表于: 2010-05-24
A Formal Learner: Bert 35
2.2.5 The value of summarizing reading
n Meaning in the absence of meaning.
n F. Rand Morton’s first Spanish student.
n BEN: Desperate need for meaning in language
practice.
‘Can you tell me a bit more about what happened after that first
asked.
six months?’ I
‘As we progressed through the program, and began to build up our reading
vocabulary through study at home,’ Bert replied, ‘they began to give us textbooks
that the Chinese children themselves had used. First-, second-, third- and fourthgrade
readers and so on. These had all been glossed in English and explained at
great length in supporting textbooks, so that we did have the necessary tools.’
‘Did the things you’d been studying in the first six months consist of dialogs, or
individual sentences, or some combination of these?’
‘Beginning with basic dialog situations, together with a great deal of drill -
systematic drills. These might just be one sentence followed by another sentence and
so on.’
‘So these children’s books were your first contact with Chinese that hadn’t been
written especially for foreigners.’
‘Right. Yes. Exactly. Again, the whole point being, at least as I understood it, to
learn the language in the way an average Chinese would have learned it.’
‘Again, your idea of the natural, childlike way to do it.’
‘Yes. Here too, the ban against bringing these materials into class was
maintained, so that we were expected to read them at home. We would read
perhaps a lesson a day - about two pages. Then we would come to class the next day
and summarize what we had read - summarize it in our own words. Then there
would be give and take on the content of that. Later we used radio plays and news
broadcasts in the same way.’
‘Simple conversation.’
‘Simple conversation with the teacher. At that point it was permitted - though not
encouraged - to come in with specific problems in grammar or usage: “Why do they
say this instead of that?” and so forth.’
‘You asked in Chinese, or in English?’
‘No, in Chinese. In fact, during the two years I was in the program, I doubt I ever
36 Success with Foreign Languages
heard a teacher utter a word in English. We found out only later that some of them
actually knew it fairly well.’
Comments
Over the years, 1 have concluded that good language learning requires full and rich
meanings in the learner’s head. It is not enough that the learner merely know all the
words in a sentence, or be able to translate it. The way Bert described the beginning
of his Chinese course, I wondered about the second realm. How much meaning,
really, was being paired with the sounds that he was repeating hour after hour?
There are two possible answers to this question. One is that whatever meaning he
was attaching to those sentences was pale and sparse. Some students can go for
amazingly long periods in this way. The most striking example I know of was the
first student who completed F. Rand Morton’s programmed course in Spanish, back
in the 1960s.” This student was carefully trained in the sounds and basic grammar,
plus useful phrases for asking for vocabulary and explanations. The course contained
a very minimum of vocabulary, and almost no meanings. Immediately after he
finished the course, the student was sent to Mexico, with a tape machine to record
his interactions with the people there. Morton says that at first the Mexicans treated
the student pretty much as a native-speaking moron. By the end ‘of his stay,
however, he had added so much vocabulary to his grammatical base, and become so
good at handling meanings, that he was invited to lecture in Spanish at a university
there.
At the other extreme was Ben, the very intelligent husband of a friend of my
wife’s. Ben came to me one day almost in tears because of exactly this spartan,
meaning-free feature of a Spanish course he was taking elsewhere. Most students in
that course seemed to be doing fairly well, but for him this austere and antiseptic
approach was pure torture. It may be that Bert was simply at the opposite end of the
spectrum from Ben.
There is a second possible explanation for Bert’s success in the first months of this
Chinese course. Perhaps he was just better than most people at generating his own
vivid meanings for sentences that had little or no relation either to reality or to each
other. He may have been like the proverbial goat living off tin cans. I have found
that people vary widely in this respect.
Working with the ideas
1. What sources of meanings did Bert have in the course as he has described it so
far?
2. Which features of the course would you have found most congenial? Which
would you have found most difficult to get used to?

2.2.5 The value of summarizing reading  总结读书的价值

内容体要:
1 Meaning in the absence of meaning.  意思在缺乏含义的情况下自然获得的
  2  F. Rand Morton’s first Spanish student.  F。兰德曼顿的第一个西班牙学生
  3  BEN: Desperate need for meaning in language practice.  本:绝望为语言的意思的需要而练习
‘Can you tell me a bit more about what happened after that first asked. six months?’ I ‘As we progressed through the program, and began to build up our reading vocabulary through study at home,’ Bert replied, ‘they began to give us textbooks that the Chinese children themselves had used. First-, second-, third- and fourthgrade readers and so on. These had all been glossed in English and explained at great length in supporting textbooks, so that we did have the necessary tools.’ ‘Did the things you’d been studying in the first six months consist of dialogs, orindividual sentences, or some combination of these?’   你能告诉我多一点关于在第一次提问以后发生了什么,6个月吗?我当我们通过这节目的过程中,开始建立我们到阅读词汇,通过在家学习。伯特回答道,他们开始去给我们课本,那个中国一年级、二年级、三年级、四年级读者等等孩子中使用的。这些都是戴着眼镜看英语课程中又大又长的重要教科书中的解释,这样,我们需要工具。难道这些东西你会在头六个月包含的对话中,或者个别的句子,或者一些这些的组合中学习吗?

‘Beginning with basic dialog situations, together with a great deal of drill -systematic drills. These might just be one sentence followed by another sentence and so on.’ ‘So these children’s books were your first contact with Chinese that hadn’t been written especially for foreigners.’ ‘Right. Yes. Exactly. Again, the whole point being, at least as I understood it, to learn the language in the way an average Chinese would have learned it.’ ‘Again, your idea of the natural, childlike way to do it.’ ‘Yes. Here too, the ban against bringing these materials into class was maintained, so that we were expected to read them at home. We would read perhaps a lesson a day - about two pages. Then we would come to class the next day and summarize what we had read - summarize it in our own words. Then there would be give and take on the content of that. Later we used radio plays and news broadcasts in the same way.’  从基本对话情景开始,与大量演练一起,系统的演练。这些可能就是一个句子,跟随者其他句子等。所以,这些汉字的书本是你的第一次语汉语的协议,不是书写特别的外语。对,是的,太好了。再一次,这个完整的观点是,至少在我理解他的情况下,去习得这个语言,用这种方法,一般的汉语可能会学会它。再次,你的这个自然地想法,像孩子那样做的方法。是的,这里也是,本再次带着他们的材料进入教室是被禁止的,所以,我期望在家里阅读他们的材料。我们可能会阅读一天一篇课文,大约两页。然后,我们会来到教室在下一天总结,我们已经阅读了什么?总结它,用我们自己的单词。然后,这些会给,并且制作在那个内容。以后,我们使用收音机音频播放,新的广播剧,用我们同样的方法。
‘Simple conversation.’‘Simple conversation with the teacher. At that point it was permitted - though not encouraged - to come in with specific problems in grammar or usage: “Why do they
say this instead of that?” and so forth.’ ‘You asked in Chinese, or in English?’ ‘No, in Chinese. In fact, during the two years I was in the program, I doubt I ever  heard a teacher utter a word in English. We found out only later that some of them actually knew it fairly well.’  简单的对话。简单的对话和老师。在那一点上是允许的,尽管不是鼓励的,这就来了一个问题,在语法或者用法上。为什么是这样说而不是那样说呢?等等。你问用汉语,还是用英语说?你,用汉语。实际上,在这两年期间,我用这个教程,我怀疑我从来没有听到过来使用一个英语单词。我们发现,只有以后他们一些人知道,实际上他说得非常好。
Comments  评论
Over the years, I have conclude  d that good language learning requires full and rich meanings in the learner’s head. It is not enough that the learner merely know all the words in a sentence, or be able to translate it. The way Bert described the beginning of his Chinese course, I wondered about the second realm. How much meaning, really, was being paired with the sounds that he was repeating hour after hour?   多年来,我只知道结论,一个好的语言学习者,需要充分而丰富的内涵,在学习者的脑海里面。但是,仅有这些这是不够的,那个学习者完全知道,所有的单词在句子里,或者能够翻译它。这个方法,伯特描述的在汉语课程开始,我震惊的是第二个境界,有多少意思,真正的意思是什么?被配对的声音,什么的意思是和声音一样的意思,那是他在重复了一个小时又一个小时以后。
这就是所能听出来的音译的直译。也就是我说的音译,直译,或者说英语听出汉语来,你要听着英语的声音,听出汉语完全相同的声音的那个意思来,就是说你们平的那个翻译不对,尽管找到了和英语对应的意思了汉字了,但是他的声音和英语不一样,你要在好多意思一样的句子汉字里面找到那个读音和意思完全一样的汉字,按着英语句子的顺序进行完全的声音和意思同时对等的翻译。

There are two possible answers to this question. One is that whatever meaning he was attaching to those sentences was pale and sparse. Some students can go for amazingly long periods in this way. The most striking example I know of was the first student who completed F. Rand Morton’s programmed course in Spanish, back in the 1960s.” This student was carefully trained in the sounds and basic grammar, plus useful phrases for asking for vocabulary and explanations. The course contained a very minimum of vocabulary, and almost no meanings. Immediately after he finished the course, the student was sent to Mexico, with a tape machine to record his interactions with the people there. Morton says that at first the Mexicans treated
the student pretty much as a native-speaking moron. By the end ‘of his stay, however, he had added so much vocabulary to his grammatical base, and become so good at handling meanings, that he was invited to lecture in Spanish at a university there. 这里有2个回答问题的可能,一个是,他无论如何,什么意思对其接触的这些句子都是苍白而稀疏的,一些学生能得到惊人的成长,在这长期的用这种方法过程中。这多数细腻的例子,我知道,第一个学生完整的名字叫弗兰德摩尔顿的西班牙课程,回到十九世纪60年代。这个学生仔细地转送这声音和基础语法上,加上有用的短语,为提问所使用的词汇和解释。这个课程包含了大量的词汇,并且几乎没有意思。立即在他完成这个课程以后,这个学生被送到了墨西哥,用一个磁带录音机去录制他与这些人们在这里的互动交流的反应。莫尔顿说,第一次在墨西哥治疗了他的学生生活,非常多的学生变为了一个本地母语说话者,几乎是个白痴,在最后他们留下了,然而,他已经增加了这麽多的词汇用到他的起码的语法基础,并且变得这么好,在掌握意思方面,那里他被邀请到西班牙大学那里去演讲。

At the other extreme was Ben, the very intelligent husband of a friend of my wife’s. Ben came to me one day almost in tears because of exactly this spartan, meaning-free feature of a Spanish course he was taking elsewhere. Most students in that course seemed to be doing fairly well, but for him this austere and antiseptic approach was pure torture. It may be that Bert was simply at the opposite end of the spectrum from Ben. 另一个额外的例子是本,这个非常聪明的人是我妻子的朋友的丈夫,本带到我跟前的第一天几乎一天都在流泪,最好的原因是因为这是斯巴达,意味着具有免费特征的一个西班牙课程,他是采取了其他地方功能。多数学生在哪个课程里似乎是如鱼得水,做得非常好,但是对于他来说,这是个熬死他和熬他死逼的课,方法就是纯粹的酷刑。他可能是对伯特来说是简单的,在相对于光谱的另一端的本来说,伯特要简单得多。。

There is a second possible explanation for Bert’s success in the first months of this Chinese course. Perhaps he was just better than most people at generating his own vivid meanings for sentences that had little or no relation either to reality or to each other. He may have been like the proverbial goat living off tin cans. I have found that people vary widely in this respect. 这里第二个伯特成功的可能解释,是在这第一月的这些汉语课程里。也许他可能只是比大多数人更好地创造了自己的句子,可能他只是比多数人们好,在于能力释放在他的生动的意思对于句子来说来造句,那有了少量的或者没有关系的,既不是关联的也不是彼此的,几乎没有或者根本彼此没有任何关系的现实。他可能就像这个谚语的目标生活,是靠踢罐头瓶生活的小孩。我发现,那里人们非常广泛地应用在这些方面。

Working with the ideas 工作与思考
1. What sources of meanings did Bert have in the course as he has described it so far?  什么意思的来源,伯特在这课程里,作为他至今已经描述的,他有多么深远的意思?
2. Which features of the course would you have found most congenial? Which would you have found most difficult to get used to? 哪些课程的特点,你会发现多数适合你的?哪些课程你可能发现是非常困难的习惯?
只看该作者 37 发表于: 2010-05-24
A Formal Learner: Bert 37
2.2.6 Paraphrasing as a learning technique
n A meaning of ‘communicative.’
n ‘Resolution of uncertainty’ on various levels.
H BARNEY: The power of vividly imagined
conversations.
‘It was very strict,’ I said.
‘Yes. And I repeat, it was controversial. There were others who found it not at all
compatible, who in fact wanted to concentrate on translation.’
‘But for you it was very suitable.’
‘Very. What you got at the end was somebody who is not quite bilingual, but who
has a kind of bilingual approach to things. Someone who is perhaps not as
competent in written translation or in simultaneous interpreting as others might be.’
‘Because in the program there was never any translation practice.’
‘Right. What happened, though, was that we got to the point where we could
paraphrase. The emphasis was on understanding the content, the circumstances, in
Chinese, without ever translating mentally.’
‘But you think that in your case, at least, the small loss in translation ability was
more than offset by the fluency you gained.’
‘Yes; personally, I think it worked better in the end. We could read a lot more
rapidly than the people who were trained primarily in translation. We didn’t stop
and think about what every word means. You strive for a general grasp. Then as
your vocabulary expands, you fill in the blanks. By the end of this training, I think
you can both remember more content, and interpret more precisely. You’re not
hung up on the word-to-word correspondences.’
‘By going at it in this way, you kind of built yourself a 100 per cent Chinese
matrix . . .’
‘Something like that.’
‘ . . . and anything new that came along got fitted into that matrix, rather than
being pasted on by means of a translation.’
‘Yes, you might put it that way.’
Comments
These days, many teachers are intensely concerned with presenting language in a
‘communicative’ way. In its fully developed form, this is proving to be a very
productive approach to the learning and teaching of languages. We must be careful,
however, not to oversimplify the meaning of ‘communication.’ For some, it has
meant merely conveying new information, or at least resolving some genuine
uncertainty in the mind of a hearer or reader. Telling the teacher ‘My pen is red’ is
38 Success with Foreign Languages
not ‘communicative’ in this sense if she is looking straight at the pen.6 If she has
never seen it, the same sentence is communicative (though not necessarily very
interesting!). Communication in this sense certainly tends to increase the quality and
the vividness of the meanings in the learner’s mind.
Bert’s year of Chinese at the university no doubt enabled him to translate many of
the sentences in the first months of this course. The English glosses in his textbooks
gave additional help. In 2.2.4 and 2.2.5, we have begun to hear about some sources
for meanings that were more immediate and more vivid. One such source was the
need to summarize in class what he had studied at home. Another was the
opportunity to ask limited questions about grammatical points that were troubling
him. A third was extensive practice in paraphrasing: in putting into his own words
the contents of what he had just read or heard.
Of these three activities, only the second is clearly communicative in the strict
sense I have just described. In the first, the learner is reporting to the teacher what
the teacher has already read, and what she has heard dozens of other students
describe in previous years. In the third, the learner is telling the teacher either what
the teacher herself has just said, or what teacher and learner have just heard or read
together. How can immediate or delayed paraphrasing contribute to higher-quality
nonverbal mental imagery?
The answer is that a paraphrase does, after all, resolve an uncertainty. The
uncertainty is not ‘What is the message?’ however. It is rather, ‘Has the paraphraser
preserved the message of the original?7’ In order to answer this question, both
learner and teacher must compare the meanings of original and paraphrase. And in
order to compare those meanings, they must have them in mind. On one level, then,
I think paraphrasing is also ‘communicative.’ This may be why Bert was able to
profit so much from it.
But even fixed dialogs or other texts can generate vivid meanings. All they
require is more or less effort of the imagination. Concerning a Swahili sentence that
he had heard in class, Barney reports:
I spent some time making up questions I would like to ask the visitor we had last week.
Then I imagined his answers. This rehearsal was done with real feeling, including imagined
tone of voice and gestures. These silently rehearsed sentences, in fact, became more real to
me than any I had actually heard or used in class.
Another way of getting good nonverbal imagery for fixed texts is to read them aloud
while picturing a person to whom one is trying to get the meaning across. But there
is no question that some people can do this more readily than others (see 5.1.1, for
example). This ability may have been one requirement for success with the Audio-
Lingual approach.7
Working with the ideas
1. In what respects is Bert ‘learning’ Chinese (1.1.2)? In what respects is he
‘acquiring’ it?
2. Which of the techniques described here have you experienced as a learner?
How well did each work for you?

2.2.6 Paraphrasing as a learning technique   复述作为一个学习技术

内容提要:

A meaning of ‘communicative.’  一个沟通的意思
  ‘Resolution of uncertainty’ on various levels. 在不同层面上不确定意义的解决方法
   BARNEY: The power of vividly imagined  conversations.  生动图像对话的力量
‘It was very strict,’ I said. ‘Yes. And I repeat, it was controversial. There were others who found it not at all compatible, who in fact wanted to concentrate on translation.’ ‘But for you it was very suitable.’ ‘Very. What you got at the end was somebody who is not quite bilingual, but who has a kind of bilingual approach to things. Someone who is perhaps not as competent in written translation or in simultaneous interpreting as others might be.’ ‘Because in the program there was never any translation practice.’  他是非常严格的,我说,是的,我重复他,这是有争议的。者的其他人发现并不都是兼容的,他事实上是想集中起来进行翻译。但是对于你来说,他是适应的。非常,在最后你想得到什么?一些人不是采用双语,但是他是采用了双语教学一类的方法学会一些东西。一些人可能并不胜任书面翻译和同步翻译工作,而作为另一些人也许可以胜任这项工作。因为在这个节目里面,这里是从来没有任何的翻译的实践。
‘Right. What happened, though, was that we got to the point where we could paraphrase. The emphasis was on understanding the content, the circumstances, in Chinese, without ever translating mentally.’ ‘But you think that in your case, at least, the small loss in translation ability was more than offset by the fluency you gained.’  对的,会发生什么情况呢?不过,要达到这一点的地步,可能是意译的复述。可能在内容的理解上,用汉语,从来没有翻译的思想。但是,你想,在你这种情况下,至少,在翻译能力上有一个小的损失,更足以抵消你所获得的流畅性。
‘Yes; personally, I think it worked better in the end. We could read a lot more rapidly than the people who were trained primarily in translation. We didn’t stop and think about what every word means. You strive for a general grasp. Then as your vocabulary expands, you fill in the blanks. By the end of this training, I think you can both remember more content, and interpret more precisely. You’re not hung up on the word-to-word correspondences.’  是的,我个人认为,在最后的工作会更好一些。我们可以更快与那些主要训练翻译的人们。我们没有停止思考每个单词的意思。你努力训练的是一般的理解,然后,作为你的词汇的扩展,你填充这些单词的空白,通过在这些训练结束以后。我想,你可以全部记住更多的内容,并且解释的更加准确一些。你没有在单词到单词的对应关系上挂起脱节。
‘By going at it in this way, you kind of built yourself a 100 per cent Chinese matrix . . .’ ‘Something like that.’ ‘ . . . and anything new that came along got fitted into that matrix, rather than
being pasted on by means of a translation.’ ‘Yes, you might put it that way.’  通过这种方式得到他的意思,你就会建立起你自己的100%的汉语矩阵。有些类似一些事情就像那个,并且任何新的事物,就会沿着这个矩阵适应起来,而不是粘贴过去这些翻译的意思。是的,你可能会这样说你放上了那种方法。
Comments  评论
These days, many teachers are intensely concerned with presenting language in a ‘communicative’ way. In its fully developed form, this is proving to be a very productive approach to the learning and teaching of languages. We must be careful, however, not to oversimplify the meaning of ‘communication.’ For some, it has meant merely conveying new information, or at least resolving some genuine uncertainty in the mind of a hearer or reader. Telling the teacher ‘My pen is red’ is  not ‘communicative’ in this sense if she is looking straight at the pen.6 If she has never seen it, the same sentence is communicative (though not necessarily very interesting!). Communication in this sense certainly tends to increase the quality and the vividness of the meanings in the learner’s mind.   这些天,许多老师强烈地关注用于沟通交流的语言方式,在这些充分发展的形式,这是提供了一个非常有效的教学生成方法的证明,去学习习得和语言的教学,我们必须小心,但是,没有过分简单化的交流沟通的意思,对于这些,他已经意味着,仅仅是传达了一些新的信息,或者是至少解决了一些问题,在一些听众和读者的大脑里面。告诉老师,这个笔是红的,在这个意义上就没有沟通交流,感觉他直接看到所期望的,如果她从来没有看到他的钢笔的话,这个同样的句子就是沟通交流了。(虽然不一定很有趣!)沟通在这个意义上的感觉是确定的,更趋向于增加质量和在学员大脑里面的所想的生动的意思。
Bert’s year of Chinese at the university no doubt enabled him to translate many of the sentences in the first months of this course. The English glosses in his textbooks gave additional help. In 2.2.4 and 2.2.5, we have begun to hear about some sources for meanings that were more immediate and more vivid. One such source was the  need to summarize in class what he had studied at home. Another was the opportunity to ask limited questions about grammatical points that were troubling him. A third was extensive practice in paraphrasing: in putting into his own words the contents of what he had just read or heard.伯特在大学学习汉语的这一年,没有怀疑他翻译了一些句子,在第一个月的课程里面。这个英语课堂在他的教科书上给了传统的帮助。在2.2.4和2.2.5节。我们开始去听一些意思的来源,那是更快递并且生动的。一个是,比如来源是需要在课堂上去总结,他已经在家学习了什么。另外的是一个机会,去问类似的问题,关于所困惑着他的语法点。第三是,扩展它的复述的实践:放进他自己的单词到句子里面,刚才阅读和听到的内容。
Of these three activities, only the second is clearly communicative in the strict sense I have just described. In the first, the learner is reporting to the teacher what the teacher has already read, and what she has heard dozens of other students describe in previous years. In the third, the learner is telling the teacher either what the teacher herself has just said, or what teacher and learner have just heard or read together. How can immediate or delayed paraphrasing contribute to higher-quality nonverbal mental imagery? 在这三个活动中,只有第二个才是清楚地交际,在严格意义上,我刚才已经描述的。在第一点,这种习得的报告给老师,老师已经阅读了什么,她已经听到几十名其他学生在过去几年表述了什么。第三点,这种习得,是告诉老师,即包括老师自己刚才说了什么,也包括老师和学生一起在刚才听到和阅读的内容。怎样才能立即或者延迟一段时间意译复述才有助于高质量的非语言在脑海里面的想象呢?
The answer is that a paraphrase does, after all, resolve an uncertainty. The uncertainty is not ‘What is the message?’ however. It is rather, ‘Has the paraphraser preserved the message of the original?7’ In order to answer this question, both learner and teacher must compare the meanings of original and paraphrase. And in order to compare those meanings, they must have them in mind. On one level, then, I think paraphrasing is also ‘communicative.’ This may be why Bert was able to profit so much from it. 这个回答是做复述练习,毕竟,解决一个不确定。这个不确定不是“这是什么消息”,然而,它是相当,这个复述已经保留了原来的信息吗?为了回答这个问题,学生和老师都必须比较原意和意译,并为了比较这些意思,他们必须有自己的想法,在这个层面上,然后,我想复述的意译也是口语交际活动,这些可能的方法,就是贝尔特所以能够从它那里获得了这么多收益的原因。
 But even fixed dialogs or other texts can generate vivid meanings. All they require is more or less effort of the imagination. Concerning a Swahili sentence that he had heard in class, Barney reports:  但是,即使固定的对话和其他的文本,通常能够产生生动的意思,所有这些需要都或多或少想象力的努力。关注一个斯瓦西里语的句子,那个她已经在课堂上听到的,波特报告:
 I spent some time making up questions I would like to ask the visitor we had last week.我花了一些时间弄出来问题,就像我去问我们在上个星期里观众。
Then I imagined his answers. This rehearsal was done with real feeling, including imagined tone of voice and gestures. These silently rehearsed sentences, in fact, became more real to me than any I had actually heard or used in class. 然后,我想象了他的回答。这是阅读完的感觉的彩排,包括想象声音的语调和手势 。那些排练了的句子,事实上,因为比我们任何实际上听到或者在教室里面使用的更真实。
Another way of getting good nonverbal imagery for fixed texts is to read them aloud while picturing a person to whom one is trying to get the meaning across. But there is no question that some people can do this more readily than others (see 5.1.1, for example). This ability may have been one requirement for success with the Audio- Lingual approach.7 其他的的方法,得到好的为固定的文本的非语言想象是大声朗读它,当一个人描绘试图得到理解意思。但是,这里没有问题,一些人比其他人能做的更真实的更容易。(见5.1.1的例子),这种能力可能是为音频舌方法而成功的需求。
1. In what respects is Bert ‘learning’ Chinese (1.1.2)? In what respects is he ‘acquiring’ it?  贝特在什么方面是“习得”汉语(1.1.2)?在哪一方面他是“获得”?
2. Which of the techniques described here have you experienced as a learner? How well did each work for you?  那些技术描述的这里你有习得的经验?每个工作如何,对于你来说做的好不好?
只看该作者 38 发表于: 2010-05-24
2.3 Notes
A Formal Learner: Bert 39
1. Sympathetic descriptions of the Grammar-Translation method are rare these days, but H.
Douglas Brown gives a good account of it in the book I mentioned in note 3 for Chapter 1.
It is also well treated in A. P. R. Howatt’s History of English Language Teaching,published by Oxford University Press in 1984.
2 William G. Moulton’s book (see Chapter 1, note 5) was in the Audio-Lingual school.
Probably the most authoritative exposition of the approach was Nelson Brooks’ Language
and Language Learning. published in 1960 by Harcourt Brace. Doug Brown summarizes
some more recent thinking about this approach, but it is also mentioned in all other books
on language-teaching methodology. Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
(Oxford University Press, 1986). by Diane Larsen-Freeman, gives brief samples of Audio-
Lingualism, Grammar-Translation, and a number of other methods, as well as descriptions
and discussions of them.

3. The extract is taken from K. T. Schurr’s and V. E. Ruble’s article ‘The Myers-Briggs type
indicator and first-year college achievement; a look beyond aptitude test results’ (Journal
of Psychological Type, 1986 12, pp. 25-37).

4. Vernon Hamilton’s The Cognitive Structures and Processes of Human Motivution and
Personality, published by Wiley in 1983. is outside of the field of language learning, but it
contains what I think is a very perceptive treatment of the multiplicity of modalities that
enter into experience and action.

5. F. Rand Morton’s exploits are described in his monograph The Language Laboratory us a
Teaching Machine. published in 1960 by the International Journal of American Linguistics.
Diane Larsen-Freeman also has a chapter on the Communicative Approach, but an
anthology on the subject is The Communicative Approach to Language Teaching, edited by
C. J. Brumfit and K. Johnson and published by Oxford University Press in 1979. Brumfit
later wrote an entire book about it (Communicative Methodology in Language Teaching,
Cambridge University Press. 1984).

7. Two articles on the Myers-Briggs Type-Indicator as it relates to language learning are by
Madeline Ehrman and Rebecca Oxford (Modern Language Journal, 1989, vol 73.1), and
by Raymond Moody (Modern Language Journal, 1988, vol 72.4).

2.3 Notes注释
1 。 Sympathetic descriptions of the Grammar-Translation method are rare these days, but H.Douglas Brown gives a good account of it in the book I mentioned in note 3 for Chapter 1.
It is also well treated in A. P. R. Howatt’s History of English Language Teaching,published by Oxford University Press in 1984.语法-翻译法的神经系统描述是这些天罕见的,但是H。道格拉斯布朗在书中给了一个很好的描述,我提到的注释3第一章。在A.P.R也有很好的交代,豪瓦特的英语教学出版于1984年的牛津大学出版社。
2。 William G. Moulton’s book (see Chapter 1, note 5) was in the Audio-Lingual school. Probably the most authoritative exposition of the approach was Nelson Brooks’ Language and Language Learning. published in 1960 by Harcourt Brace. Doug Brown summarizes some more recent thinking about this approach, but it is also mentioned in all other books on language-teaching methodology. Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching (Oxford University Press, 1986). by Diane Larsen-Freeman, gives brief samples of Audio-Lingualism, Grammar-Translation, and a number of other methods, as well as descriptions and discussions of them. 威廉克莫尔顿的书(见第1章,注5)是在音频语种学校。也许该方法最权威的论述,是尼尔森布鲁克的语言与语言学习。在1960年出版的夏康特布拉斯。道布朗总结了一些关于这一方法更接近的思想,但它也提到过,在所有其他关于语文教学方法的书籍里。在语言教学的技术和原则(牛津大学出版社,1986)。由黛安拉森-弗里曼,给出了简短的样本,包括音频语、文法、翻译以及其他一些方法,以及他们的描述与讨论。
3。 The extract is taken from K. T. Schurr’s and V. E. Ruble’s article ‘The Myers-Briggs type indicator and first-year college achievement; a look beyond aptitude test results’ (Journal of Psychological Type, 1986 12, pp. 25-37). 该扩展形式来自K.T斯科尔和鲁贝尔的文章,这个迈尔斯-布里格斯的类型指标和大学一年级的成就,一个看的很远的超能力测试结果(心理类型的杂志,1986年12月,25-37页)
4。 Vernon Hamilton’s The Cognitive Structures and Processes of Human Motivution and Personality, published by Wiley in 1983. is outside of the field of language learning, but it contains what I think is a very perceptive treatment of the multiplicity of modalities that enter into experience and action. 弗农汉密尔顿的认知结构与人类动机和人格流程,由Wiley出版于1983。是学习语言以外的领域,但它的内容是什么,我认为是一个非常多元化的方式感性认识来对待,那个可以进入体验和行动。
5。 F. Rand Morton’s exploits are described in his monograph The Language Laboratory us a Teaching Machine. published in 1960 by the International Journal of American Linguistics.F。兰德莫顿的攻击是在他的专著,我们的语言实验室教学机。在1960年出版的,由美国语言学国际杂志。
6。 Diane Larsen-Freeman also has a chapter on the Communicative Approach, but an anthology on the subject is The Communicative Approach to Language Teaching, edited by C. J. Brumfit and K. Johnson and published by Oxford University Press in 1979. Brumfit later wrote an entire book about it (Communicative Methodology in Language Teaching, Cambridge University Press. 1984).迪亚尼拉森-弗里曼也有一章,在交际法里,但在这个对象的诗集是交际法语言教学,编辑由C.J波密菲特和K。约翰逊由牛津大学出版社出版于1979年。 Brumfit后来写一整本关于它的书(交际语言教学方法,剑桥大学出版社。 1984年)..
7。 Two articles on the Myers-Briggs Type-Indicator as it relates to language learning are by Madeline Ehrman and Rebecca Oxford (Modern Language Journal, 1989, vol 73.1), and by Raymond Moody (Modern Language Journal, 1988, vol 72.4). 两篇文章在迈尔斯-布里格斯型指标,因为它涉及到语言的学习是由马德琳陆国际律师事务所和丽贝卡牛津(现代语言杂志,1989年,73.1),以及穆迪的雷蒙德(现代语言杂志,1988年,第72.4)。
只看该作者 39 发表于: 2010-05-27
探索外语的秘密,这是世界语言学家共同的心愿,对于任何外语教学法我可以说从来没有研究过,唯一的只是千万别学英语只是拿来所用而已,本文是首次对压码法之外的外语学习方法的一次压码学习。希望广大压码学员广泛地关注。
为什么想在千百种外语学习方法中关注这么一种案例形的学习方法呢,因为从2002年开始学习外语以来,看到外语不同学习方法之间只有相互蔑视,很难有消化吸收他他为自己所用的真诚的探索氛围,这是我在学习英语中最为惊讶的一件事情。
   为什么选择《七位外语学习成功者》这样一本书来压码学习、鉴赏和评析呢?因为这是一个了解世界7000种语言的网站所推荐的一本书,他们并没有自己的学习方法完整的模型,而是见识了各种外语学习成功者,我想他们可能的确比我们多数人接触的外语学习成功者更多一些。
   文中提到有一位知道成千上万外语学习者,学会数百种外语的一位语言专家。但是,我知道目前世界上最多人还只有学会50种外语的人,没有一位达到100种以上外语精通者,就是一位善于自己制作大量语言的专家,他自己也只是说可以精通13种外语的。我想对于文中熟悉这位专家的作者来说,好像对于这位知道了成千上外外语学习者学会了数百种外语的专家来说,并没有发生太大兴趣,他只是热于选择7位外语成功者的接触来谈外语学习方法。
   如果翻译这个信息的英语句子,你很难知道表达的真实意思,究竟是一位外语专家辅导了几千人,每人学会了几百种外语,还是他指导了几千名外语学习者,里面的学习者总共学会了几百种外语呢,估计后一种可能更为可信一些。
  不管怎样,都是一件了不起的事情。学习外语成功者的学习方法是千差万别的,实际上我们早期的压码法已经瞬间的涌现了4000种之多,后来精确提炼了10种压码法,自己对各种压码法本身就是一个融会贯通的过程。
   压码就是直接拿来主义,原封不动地消化吸收各种学习方法的有意的营养,而各种学习方法的不利因素并不能破坏压码的功效,这也是很多千万法的学员不能学好千万法的根本缺失的素质。千万学员中支持和反对者中所产生的纷争,最大的问题是表面尖锐的矛盾中,竟然是一样的认识。所缺乏的正是这种压码的精神。
    在20多年前,一位老者告诉我编写条令的时候,拿到200多国家地区的翻译读本,我不会外语,所以只能看翻译读本,中国的不同行业的条令读本,你就抄袭吧,将各个行业的条令的做法和外国各个国家的做法是思想抄袭在一起变成一个独立****就可以了。我老了抄不动了,你如果可以抄袭写出来,我可以挑毛病,这样我就学会了从各种专业性极强,自己根本就不曾理解的大量文献中,第一次学会了抄袭思想的文本,这也是我的一次压码抄袭的方法。记住真正的抄袭思想和原作者的使用的语言是完全不同的解读。
   实际上是说过过去我还没有学习过任何传统的学习方法,只学习过千万法,其他千万法学员说我的千万法和人家的千万法不一样,我说我是完全按照千万法学习英语成功的啊,实际上任何其他千万法都不是我这样学习千万法的,我是抄袭人家的思想的方法,就是完全在任何不能做到的地方,都采取了压码的办法,这是其他学员学习千万法不能成功的根本原因,他们学习人家的方法,并不压码人家的方法,这是最棘手的问题。最后,人家好想也不太乐意压码他的方法,郑赞荣老师无论如何还是我的第一位英语启蒙老师,但是面对我的4000种压码千万法,单独一个压码纵向法就无法领悟了,我领悟了他的千万法,但是他还无法领悟压码的境界,这样压码法才彻底从压码千万法独立出来了。所以说思想的抄袭,不同于方法的抄袭,这才是最本质的特征。

描述
快速回复

您目前还是游客,请 登录注册